Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diet Coke addiction (and benefits?) MyPrepperLife Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 09-03-2019 11:33 AM
Food storage for those on a more limited diet (Paleo, Vegan, etc.)? OneTimeUseAcct Food and water 22 01-16-2017 11:10 AM
The FAST diet. 5:2 and 6:1 Durgan Health, Fitness and First Aid 12 11-03-2016 02:11 PM

Old 06-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Advertise Here

Forgot to add, my father and I believe his brothers also, though I don't remember for sure, take B vitamins for Alzheimer's prevention. Up to this point it has worked well for dad. (I'll be out of luck as synthetic vitamins make me sick.) There is a type of B12 in particular that dad and his brothers are high on for helping prevent Alzheimer's.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 01:39 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,029 Times in 19,703 Posts

if you are worried about ALZ, I would suggest.

6 poached eggs every morning and oatmeal with honey.
Iodine supplementation. (3 drops Lugol's in a glass of water).
Niacin slow release 500 mg/day.
A full Mineral Supplement like Mega minerals. (mainly for the magnesium which is usually deficient in US diet).
A good multi-vitamin.
All the fatty foods you want to taste.
All the salt you want to taste.
Edit: forgot to add Salmon Sushi to the list.

No fried foods, no wheat, No cholesterol meds or statin drugs. no HFCS. limit sugar.
Drink all the caffeinated coffee you want.

Atractylodes and Radix Astragalus to keep inflammation down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

A full Mineral Supplement like Mega minerals. (mainly for the magnesium which is usually deficient in US diet).
A good multi-vitamin.

No fried foods, no wheat, No cholesterol meds or statin drugs. Bo HFCS. limit sugar.

No problems with me and my family on eating fats. Fats are not something we are afraid of. I view them as healthy, well most fats. Synthetic fats are not so great and avoided.

Here is something I've found fascinating about my family. My father, myself, and my sister tells me she has it also, are terrible at spelling. We are the worst spellers in the world. Well, I'm not entirely sure on spell rankings but we're near the bottom I can guarantee. It's humous in a way as mom was a spelling champion in her home town, even winning a College scholarship to become an English teacher. I don't know why that is about our poor spelling. Being a poor speller is possibly a memory problem though. (It might be a hearing problem also)

Due to a stomach condition I'm constantly playing with my diet. Something I've found is that when my stomach is in better shape my spelling improves. It has only happened a few times but if I'm well to the stomach for a few months spelling becomes very easy for me.

So I've theorized that for me and likely family members, improved spelling is diet related. If improved spelling is related to the development of Alzheimers, the memory condition is diet related.

My problem, I haven't figured out which food(s) are a problem. Well, I do know some foods are trouble makers. I'm not able to eat pork without itching all over madly and my gums swelling up. Nuts and seeds give my sister, my father and I problems. Nightshade and possibly the garlic family are a stomach problem for me. That's a work in progress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 03:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
No problems with me and my family on eating fats. Fats are not something we are afraid of. I view them as healthy, well most fats. Synthetic fats are not so great and avoided.

Here is something I've found fascinating about my family. My father, myself, and my sister tells me she has it also, are terrible at spelling. We are the worst spellers in the world. Well, I'm not entirely sure on spell rankings but we're near the bottom I can guarantee. It's humous in a way as mom was a spelling champion in her home town, even winning a College scholarship to become an English teacher. I don't know why that is about our poor spelling. Being a poor speller is possibly a memory problem though. (It might be a hearing problem also)

Due to a stomach condition I'm constantly playing with my diet. Something I've found is that when my stomach is in better shape my spelling improves. It has only happened a few times but if I'm well to the stomach for a few months spelling becomes very easy for me.

So I've theorized that for me and likely family members, improved spelling is diet related. If improved spelling is related to the development of Alzheimers, the memory condition is diet related.

My problem, I haven't figured out which food(s) are a problem. Well, I do know some foods are trouble makers. I'm not able to eat pork without itching all over madly and my gums swelling up. Nuts and seeds give my sister, my father and I problems. Nightshade and possibly the garlic family are a stomach problem for me. That's a work in progress.
Curious, have you seen any videos by Dr. Paul Mason with regards to Lectins?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinhead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,093 Times in 1,939 Posts

Or Dr. Gundry
The Plant Paradox
Use Instapot pressue cooker to neutralize most lectins
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
Curious, have you seen any videos by Dr. Paul Mason with regards to Lectins?

Are Lectins Bad for You? (+ How to Avoid Them) ? Dr Paul Mason - YouTube
Yes, I'm familiar with lectins and remember reading about them in the past.

Another one. You guys sure like posting videos. I'll try to take a look at that one later on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

Also, most interesting
The End of Alzheimer's
Dr. Bredesen
Very interesting, cutting edge
The ApoE gene mutations are facinating as are the environmental causes
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,333 Times in 18,524 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
Forgot to add, my father and I believe his brothers also, though I don't remember for sure, take B vitamins for Alzheimer's prevention. Up to this point it has worked well for dad. (I'll be out of luck as synthetic vitamins make me sick.) There is a type of B12 in particular that dad and his brothers are high on for helping prevent Alzheimer's.
If you want a natural form of vitamin B, buy Nutritional Yeast. I use it as a spice or condiment on almost every meal I make. It tastes good and is completely natural.

https://draxe.com/nutritional-yeast/
Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:

A good multi-vitamin.
Edit: forgot to add Salmon Sushi to the list.

No fried foods, no wheat, No cholesterol meds or statin drugs. Bo HFCS. limit sugar.

All good except the oatmeal and the honey. Oatmeal is probably one of the last things you want to eat and honey is like sugar. It will spike your insulin. True ... it's better than processed sugar but should be taken in super small amounts if it's taken at all.

About 3 minutes in:
Grain based foods are about the same as sugar filled foods.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,686 Times in 13,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
All good except the oatmeal and the honey. Oatmeal is probably one of the last things you want to eat and honey is like sugar. It will spike your insulin. True ... it's better than processed sugar but should be taken in super small amounts if it's taken at all.
snip
On a sugar scale of 1 - 10:

Corn Syrup is 1.
Good old White Sugar is 1.5.
Apple Juice is 8
Maple Syrup is 9.
Honey is 10.

On a food scale of 1 - 10
Corn Syrup is 1.
Good old White Sugar is 1.01.
Apple Juice is 1.08
Maple Syrup is 1.09.
Honey is 1.099.
An Apple 3
Bacon Fat is 7
Bacon is 8
Real Butter is 9
Other Good Keto foods are 10

Keep Sugar in proper prospective.

I'm not going to march outside of Nabisco.
I will express my options to other poor soles to let them know that:

Sugar is Bad! M'Kay.

Once they can handle the truth, vending machines will fill with keto for a time.
Many will learn the benefits of Intermittent Fasting.
Then people will realize that they don't need to spend good money on snacks.

Only the bulimics will need such machines.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,769 Times in 5,796 Posts

Doctor report was very good blood sugar was around 96 a little higher than last year , hdl was 1 point lower than last year and I find that strange , trg were a little higher but not out of normal range , liver enzymes were different but still well within normal range.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,708 Times in 7,842 Posts

What keto thing can you put in a vending machine? Keto is high fat, moderate protein... none of which store well in a vending machine.

I think, as in the past, "custom diet" people will just have to bring their own food. Back in 2004 I had a choice of 3 different pork rinds to sell, and I sold them all (not very many). Now that is down to one. I had jerky back then, don't have it now. Most of the low sugar candy options are gone as well. Big Food is leaning towards LOW FAT foods now, not low sugar. ADA and other organizations keep saying fat is bad, that is what they teach during diabetes food training, for instance. All the lobbies (heart association) say give us low fat vending machines. So that is what they are telling us to transition towards.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
What keto thing can you put in a vending machine? Keto is high fat, moderate protein... none of which store well in a vending machine.

I think, as in the past, "custom diet" people will just have to bring their own food. Back in 2004 I had a choice of 3 different pork rinds to sell, and I sold them all (not very many). Now that is down to one. I had jerky back then, don't have it now. Most of the low sugar candy options are gone as well. Big Food is leaning towards LOW FAT foods now, not low sugar. ADA and other organizations keep saying fat is bad, that is what they teach during diabetes food training, for instance. All the lobbies (heart association) say give us low fat vending machines. So that is what they are telling us to transition towards.

You can put a hunk of lard in. I'd buy it out of pure curiosity.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Survivor

The customers would not be amused. I'm not kidding about the honey buns. A pregnant employee almost shoved me, she was so upset I hadn't stocked them yet. Others have come up to me screaming.

They want carbs. So I will sell them. I am done trying to give them what is "best" for them.

Not to mention, the "better" stuff is far more expensive but they want to pay the same price. They want cheap carbs full of preservatives, that's what they'll get.

I do have a couple of "healthy" (low fat) items for those who care.

One thing we did years ago, the "Super Slim" (my lady's idea). The sandwich lady learned I had lost a lot of weight on low carb. So she came up with a low carb plate, a huge scoop of tuna salad on a lettuce leaf with a tomato wedge. SAME PRICE as the sandwiches. The customers wouldn't touch them - they wanted the bread. So we ended up throwing them all out and went back to business as usual.

Everyone (including lobbyists and legislators) wants to tell me what to sell, but they don't see what my people are buying. For instance, SOLD OUT on candy bars right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 06:47 PM

I train athletes for a living. I am not a nutritionist or dietician. All diets work and don't work based on one simple fact and there is no disputing it. Assuming you are of normal health without a condition, if calories in are less than calories out, you will lose weight. Keto works because you cut out tons of high calorie foods (carbs). Paleo works because you cut out tons of calories not eating processed crap. Intermittent fasting works because you are eating less often.

If you are eating around 1200 calories a day with minimal activity, you will lose weight quickly and plenty of it. It doesn't actually matter as much as most people think where those calories come from. Yes the diets do work differently in that some cause you to burn fuel differently but it all boils down the same way. If you are on Keto and eat more calories than you burn, it doesn't matter what you ate (same for Paleo and intermittent fasting) because you are going to gain weight.

There are the people who don't want to count calories. Cool, be fat. That's on you. Then some people can eat whatever they want without getting fat. Their bodies burn more calories than yours. That's it. Is it fair? Depends which person you ask. If you are of decent health with normal body function and you eat 1200 calories a day, you will constantly lose and you can increase the calories when you get to where you want to be. You can eat all 1200 calories at one meal with some McDonalds combo or a fat slice of pizza and a soda and you will lose weight. You'll be sad the rest of the day since you can't eat any more.

I fight a different battle with my athletes. Getting people bigger, faster and stronger is a whole different game. With athletes I have to constantly talk to them about being skinny fat. Just because you're thin doesn't mean you are healthy enough to perform. Big boys have tons of energy stores and just need to get in the weight room and do some cardio so their hearts don't explode.

Am I in perfect shape? No. I'm getting older and don't need to perform at the level I used to but I'll be damned if I can't get up some stairs. If you want to eat a slice of pizza, go for it. It will cost you about an hour on the treadmill. 4 slices? 4 hours on the tread mill. When you see the cost, you make better choices. Pick any diet that you want. Will you lose weight eating bacon all day? Yes, if your calories in are less than calories out. Keto is just the newest way to say, "Put the cookie down." You could put grilled meats on top of a bowl of greens 6 times a day and never get up to 1200 calories (portion size does matter of course). Carbs are so high in calories, people don't know how much they're taking in. A bagel or a cup of oatmeal can have 400 calories. 1/3 of your daily calories gone on a bagel. Put a little jelly on it and you just added another 100. You could have 4 eggs and 4 slices of bacon with the same number of calories. You could literally eat all day long on green vegetables and never hit your 1200 calories. People, eat what you want but stop when you get to 1200 and see how much weight you lose. I love tacos. Fried chicken makes me so happy. Chinese food sounds great. So I eat them once in a while. But I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. And contrary to popular belief, yes, you can make up tomorrow for what you did today. If you go a little overboard one day, go under tomorrow. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Edited for my new buddy, Justme11.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Heat View Post
I train athletes for a living. I am not a nutritionist or dietician. All diets work and don't work based on one simple fact and there is no disputing it. Assuming you are of normal health without a condition, if calories in are less than calories out, you will lose weight. Keto works because you cut out tons of high calorie foods (carbs). Paleo works because you cut out tons of calories not eating processed crap. Intermittent fasting works because you are eating less often. If you are eating around 1200 calories a day with minimal activity, you will lose weight quickly and plenty of it. It doesn't actually matter as much as most people think where those calories come from. Yes the diets do work differently in that some cause you to burn fuel differently but it all boils down the same way. If you are on Keto and eat more calories than you burn, it doesn't matter what you ate (same for Paleo and intermittent fasting) because you are going to gain weight. There are the people who don't want to count calories. Cool, be fat. That's on you. Then some people can eat whatever they want without getting fat. Their bodies burn more calories than yours. That's it. Is it fair? Depends which person you ask. If you are of decent health with normal body function and you eat 1200 calories a day, you will constantly lose and you can increase the calories when you get to where you want to be. You can eat all 1200 calories at one meal with some McDonalds combo or a fat slice of pizza and a soda and you will lose weight. You'll be sad the rest of the day since you can't eat any more. I fight a different battle with my athletes. Getting people bigger, faster and stronger is a whole different game. With athletes I have to constantly talk to them about being skinny fat. Just because you're thin doesn't mean you are healthy enough to perform. Big boys have tons of energy stores and just need to get in the weight room and do some cardio so their hearts don't explode. Am I in perfect shape? No. I'm getting older and don't need to perform at the level I used to but I'll be damned if I can't get up some stairs. If you want to eat a slice of pizza, go for it. It will cost you about an hour on the treadmill. 4 slices? 4 hours on the tread mill. When you see the cost, you make better choices. Pick any diet that you want. Will you lose weight eating bacon all day? Yes, if your calories in are less than calories out. Keto is just the newest way to say, "Put the cookie down." You could put grilled meats on top of a bowl of greens 6 times a day and never get up to 1200 calories (portion size does matter of course). Carbs are so high in calories, people don't know how much they're taking in. A bagel or a cup of oatmeal can have 400 calories. 1/3 of your daily calories gone on a bagel. Put a little jelly on it and you just added another 100. You could have 4 eggs and 4 slices of bacon with the same number of calories. You could literally eat all day long on green vegetables and never hit your 1200 calories. People, eat what you want but stop when you get to 1200 and see how much weight you lose. I love tacos. Fried chicken makes me so happy. Chinese food sounds great. So I eat them once in a while. But I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. And contrary to popular belief, yes, you can make up tomorrow for what you did today. If you go a little overboard one day, go under tomorrow. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
In my case that is totally not true.
Most of my weight gain I believe came from inflammatory reaction to wheat, causing liver distention and perhaps malfunction.

I am eating way more calories than I am burning, yet dropped 30 lbs in about 3 months.

I can eat a 2 lb steak and baked potato for lunch and still lose weight. But if I eat 5 ozs of bread, I gain 5 lbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
In my case that is totally not true.
Most of my weight gain I believe came from inflammatory reaction to wheat, causing liver distention and perhaps malfunction.

I am eating way more calories than I am burning, yet dropped 30 lbs in about 3 months.

I can eat a 2 lb steak and baked potatoe for lunch and still lose weight. But if Ieat 5 ozs of bread, I gain 5 lbs.
Read the 4th sentence of my post one more time. And no, you can't eat more calories than you burn and lose weight. I didn't go into all the macros (quality of calories)because not everyone cares to hear it. Cutting out whole food groups is generally a bad idea and unsustainable. You can however adjust your macros to achieve your goals and add food groups back in as you learn portion control.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 11:10 PM
VIP Member

I do calorie restriction
It works as Texas Heat describes, but
1200 calories is too low for most men but is really effective for weight loss
1500 calories is slower, but probably more healthy for the average male
I try and get somewhere between 1200 to 1500 calories
Longevity science points to calorie restriction and fasting
16/8 is doeable
Add in some exercise, proper nutrition, and you are golden
Pick what works for you
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2019, 07:33 AM
Survivor

1200 is enough for my husband, who is effectively bed-bound and totally immobile. He needs help sitting up in bed. He is also at an acceptable weight (150 for 5'7)

My problem with him is getting him to get enough calories and protein. Protein is king. We are going to his favorite buffet today, I will get him as much protein as he'll eat. And a little pineapple,which he loves.

In my case I am working my way towards a 16.8 intermittent fast. The problem being I have to take medication all day long, and it has to be taken with food. But I will figure it out.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Heat View Post
Read the 4th sentence of my post one more time. And no, you can't eat more calories than you burn and lose weight. I didn't go into all the macros (quality of calories)because not everyone cares to hear it. Cutting out whole food groups is generally a bad idea and unsustainable. You can however adjust your macros to achieve your goals and add food groups back in as you learn portion control.
Sorry, the 4th sentence was buried in your impenetrable wall of text.

try hitting the "CR" once in a while. AKA "enter"