Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-09-2019, 04:51 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,510 Times in 1,863 Posts
Default Diet Coke addiction (and benefits?)

Advertise Here

One of my friends has told me she is kind of addicted to Diet Coke. Most mornings, she wakes up in a fog, she says. But then she drinks half a can of Diet Coke, and it clears her mind and makes her feel more energetic. If she doesn't have some Diet Coke every day, she doesn't feel well, she says.

I said to her: "Could it be the caffeine that has such an effect on you?" She said she doesn't think so, because coffee and black tea don't affect her the same way as Diet Coke.

Has anybody here experienced this kind of thing with Diet Coke?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,128 Times in 769 Posts

Yes. My wife used to smoke. She quit and took up the habit of drinking Diet Coke. She would get at least two 44oz sonic drinks a day. She would complain of headaches if she didn't drink some. The doctor told her a gallon or more a day is terrible for her....duh!

I've harped on her enough that she broke her habit, but I know it wasn't easy for her.

It's a drug. And I've never, ever seen a remotely skinny person drink it. She says it's delicious. That's a bold face lie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OliverR. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Forgiven

Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,402 Posts

I kicked a 3 liter / day habit by drinking all the water I could stand instead. .The occasional iced tea, lemonade and nap helped too. It took about three weeks.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patcash For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 05:23 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,510 Times in 1,863 Posts

patcash, which ingredient or combination of ingredients in Diet Coke do you think is addictive?
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,754 Times in 7,867 Posts

Diet Coke is awful. It has no flavor.

I drink a lot of diet Dr Pepper (I am a vendor so I have unlimited access) at work, but have never had anything "clear my mind and I feel more energetic". Caffeine in any form wakes me and makes me a little more alert. For instance, I had to get up at 2 am for a delivery. I am still functional because I had caffeine - a combination of instant caffeinated energy drink mixes and canned soda at work.

Canned soda has a lot of additives in it that are not good for you, even the diet ones. It is best to avoid canned soda or severely restrict one's use.

The advantage for me switching over to the drink mixes, easier to buy, bring home, store as opposed to cases of soda. At one point my sister did an "intervention on me because I use diet soda". It was baffling and offensive. She was treating me like a crackhead.

Had she simply said "I worry about you consuming that stuff, could you cut back?" I would have, but she went full nuclear and damaged our relationship in the process. I had never said a bad word to her about her hoarding or dumping her husband when she found out he was disabled.

One thing that really bothers me, people who are bragging about their coffee addiction "Oh, I'm no good without my coffee, gotta get my fix or LOOK OUT" they say in their memes and comments. For them the worst thing ever is a broken coffee maker. Coffee is a much worse addiction than diet soda - it has far more caffeine per serving. But it is culturally acceptable and you are considered weird if you don't use.

If anyone feels they are addicted to something than they should cut it out altogether.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 06:53 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,069 Times in 4,378 Posts

Coffee may have more caffeine than diet Coke but there are no artificial sweeteners, those are what get you.
I started drinking water for the most part, gallon a day habit now. Few cups of coffee in the morning. Glass of tea with my dinner. Occasionally I have a Pepsi.
Detoxing from that crap takes a few weeks and it sucks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,880 Times in 604 Posts

High fructose corn syrup is the bad thing in soda pop. I quit that, but still do one cup of coffee every morning. That's bad enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benson56 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,981 Times in 902 Posts

From what I remember the fake sugars (I think aspartamine) are horrible on the body. I believe it’s that your body can’t identify the fake sugars and it does something to the body. Sounds like she is having withdrawals. Diet soda is worse than regular soda. Real plant based sugar is best. If all she needs is the caffeine than have her take it in pill form or even in gum form. Way less fake and real sugar.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,428 Times in 5,453 Posts

Any diet soda, especially Diet Coke, is one of the worse things you can put into your body. Offrink has it right about aspartame. Read more here:

https://aspartame.mercola.com/
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:54 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,586 Times in 5,084 Posts

So, I used to be a complete Diet Coke addict.
Drank at least a 2Lt a day. Usually more.

Quit cold turkey in 2015, haven't looked back since.
Better memory, less swelling, everything's better.

It's poison you're training your brain to need. Stop.
Seriously, stop.
Maybe one of the worst things you can put in your body.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:35 AM

It is odd how some food and chemicals can effect us. I recently read a book on this. The doctor who wrote the book wrote about cases were patients would have addictions to various items. As an example, one patient of his was addicted to eggs. He was like your friend in that he couldn't function for a day without having a few eggs. Other patients had trouble with natural gas or propane. The list was long of different items that caused unusual effects.

My father is something similar to your friend concerning artificial drinks. The main problem with dad is that if he didn't drink or eat anything with artificial sweetener in it he would developed painful headaches. He eventually was able to overcome and stop drinking or eating all artificially sweetened items. It took a few days to stop the headaches if I recall.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 05:00 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,844 Times in 5,411 Posts

I was also hooked on Diet Coke. After reading enough articles to see that it was becoming a problem, I took all of my bottles and cans and went to the range. Turns out they made fun targets. Haven't had one since. The headaches only lasted a short time. Dink the same amount of water that one drank of the diet soda and it helps clear them up quickly.

As to the taste. For those who become addicted it begins to have a taste that only Diet Coke will quench. Regular soda pop tastes too sweet.

I decided not to drink any soda pop (I do have the occasional sparkling water) and feel way better for it. The first thing that I noticed was that my mind was clearer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,317 Times in 18,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Any diet soda, especially Diet Coke, is one of the worse things you can put into your body. Offrink has it right about aspartame. Read more here:

https://aspartame.mercola.com/
Agreed that aspartame is very bad for you, but so is the BS spewed on the Mercola website.

Just say no to Mercola.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 06:12 AM
Prepared

I'm addicted to diet mountain dew. I drink a 17 ounce bottle every morning through the week. I'm not a morning person and I need the caffeine in the morning. I've tried to drink unsweetened tea instead but not enough caffeine and I can't stand coffee. I hate diet coke so no issue there. My son, the PA, gets on me about the diet MD cause of the aspartame. I've been seriously thinking of dropping the diet MD over the past couple of weeks but just haven't done it yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,833 Times in 2,394 Posts

Three years ago I drank at least a 12 pack of Diet Coke a day. I would experience brain fog, dizziness and headaches. I'd get headaches if I didn't drink it, and headaches if I drank a lot at once.

Quit cold turkey. I feel so much better now. Lost a lot of weight as well. I avoid any drink with aspartame, it's evil. We can thank Rumsfeld for getting the FDA to approve it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n...-scary-as-hell
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,428 Times in 5,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Agreed that aspartame is very bad for you, but so is the BS spewed on the Mercola website.

Just say no to Mercola.
There are many other sources out there. That was simply the first I came across.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,317 Times in 18,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
There are many other sources out there. That was simply the first I came across.
I understand. It's just that they copy and warp respected articles to increase fear of the medical community so they can peddle gear and alternative quackery. Government has warned them several times about this.

https://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

So I react when I see those links because this crowd is especially susceptible to this type of scamming.

Go with sites with established medical reputations instead for explanation links. The reading is drier but when they cry foul about something deemed as supposedly safe then you are more apt to see changes made by the vested interests. As much useful potential is out there for some alternative medicine it gets squandered by greedy fear mongers making fast cash. If we let the quack sites die from disuse then the good parts of alternative medicine have a better chance of going mainstream.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,250 Times in 3,271 Posts

I had a roommate many years ago who was a Pepsiholic. He's get up in the morning, hit the refrigerator, and chug 2 cans before hitting the head. He'd usually drink 4 cans on the way to work, sip more Pepsi all day, then more on the way home. He stopped almost every night to buy another case. We once estimated that he drank an average of 30 cans of Pepsi per day. He died at age 62. I was surprised he lived that long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Forgiven

Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
patcash, which ingredient or combination of ingredients in Diet Coke do you think is addictive?
Caffiene https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caf...mptoms-top-ten
Aspartame https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/f...ms-treatments/

Switching from Diet Mountain Dew to Diet Coke to Diet Dr Pepper didn't help me. I had to quit completely.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:44 PM

I occasionally have a zevia brand cola. It uses stevia instead of those chemical sweeteners. Tastes like a diet pepsi and stevia is actually beneficial. It can lower total cholesterol and check this out:

According to a 2012 study, a glycoside called stevioside found in stevia plants helps boost cancer cell death in a human breast cancer line. Stevioside may also help decrease some mitochondrial pathways that help cancer grow.

"A 2013 study supported these findings. It found that many stevia glycoside derivatives were toxic to specific leukemia, lung, stomach, and breast cancer cell lines."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roundhouse For This Useful Post: