Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diet Coke addiction (and benefits?) MyPrepperLife Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 09-03-2019 11:33 AM
Food storage for those on a more limited diet (Paleo, Vegan, etc.)? OneTimeUseAcct Food and water 22 01-16-2017 11:10 AM
The FAST diet. 5:2 and 6:1 Durgan Health, Fitness and First Aid 12 11-03-2016 02:11 PM

Old 05-18-2019, 04:36 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,286 Times in 18,508 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default Ketogenic Diet

Advertise Here

At some point in October, 2018, I decided to try a new way of eating. It's currently called the "Ketogenic Diet" but it's actually the way our human ancestors ate centuries ago. In a nutshell, it's the elimination of the unhealthy carbohydrates (pasta, sugar, breads, starches, etc.) and the elevation of healthy fats (coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil, grass-fed butter, ghee, avocado oil, etc.) with a moderate amount of quality, animal protein (grass-fed beef, free range eggs, etc.).

I'm 58 years old. Last October, I felt like I was 100 years old. I was getting fatter; lacked energy; suffered from joint pain in my knees, ankles, lower back, shoulder, etc.; had skin issues including some acne and Rosacea on or around my nose and forehead; sleep apnea; and several other health issues. At the time, I weighed 223lbs in my shorts. Today, I weigh 180lbs in my shorts. I do a very moderate amount of gym work yet I have lost more than 40lbs in about 7 months.

I haven't felt this energetic since I was in my 30s. I can run up and down stairs like they aren't even there. My mental outlook is more optimistic and sleep more deeply at night. My joint pain (outside of some carpal tunnel in my right wrist) has totally disappeared. My skin cleared up and I longer get that embarrassing pimple on my nose or forehead.

If you're interested in learning more about this diet, I suggest looking up these folks on YouTube:

Dr. Berg: https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123
Dr. Berry: https://www.youtube.com/user/KenDBerry
Dr. Boz: https://www.youtube.com/user/annettebosworthmd
Thomas DeLauer: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer
Primal Health Edge: https://www.youtube.com/user/PrimalEdgeHealth

To name a few!
Old 05-18-2019, 04:49 AM
Prepared

I did it starting January '18 for about 4 months. Lost 40 lbs pretty fast. Loved how I felt but long term found it just was not sustainable due to not having time to prepare the foods (too busy at work, sleeping little and working a lot). I also found that the leg cramps could get almost unbearable. I'm still wondering what the leg cramps were actually from. I had my blood tested and my magnesium levels were perfect but for whatever reason the leg cramps would just not stop. I know it was not from dehydration because I was drinking water like crazy. I think it could be a good transition diet. Start with keto to drop the weight and then transition into a low carb or paleo diet, something like that. I'm going to try that starting mid-summer.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 05:36 AM

Glad to hear the Keto diet has done you good with weight loss and feeling more energetic.

If I developed cancer I'd likely try the keto diet. From what I've read it isn't a cure for cancer but can often be beneficial, extending life, for those with the disease.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderandprimers View Post
I did it starting January '18 for about 4 months. Lost 40 lbs pretty fast. Loved how I felt but long term found it just was not sustainable due to not having time to prepare the foods (too busy at work, sleeping little and working a lot). I also found that the leg cramps could get almost unbearable. I'm still wondering what the leg cramps were actually from. I had my blood tested and my magnesium levels were perfect but for whatever reason the leg cramps would just not stop. I know it was not from dehydration because I was drinking water like crazy. I think it could be a good transition diet. Start with keto to drop the weight and then transition into a low carb or paleo diet, something like that. I'm going to try that starting mid-summer.
I solved the leg cramp issue with Potassium supplements.

Another drawback to the Keto diet is the cost of buying organic, grass-fed, free-range, truly healthy foods. However, I'm saving a lot because I no longer eat out or buy pizza. I also agree that preparing meals is a bit time consuming but I only eat one meal a day so, for me, that's a small price to pay for the great way I'm feeling.

As for low carb diets ... you can't get lower than the Keto diet. It was hard for me to give up pasta, sugar, and bread. I didn't realize how addicted to those foods I was but dropping them from my diet has been a literal life-changer.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
Glad to hear the Keto diet has done you good with weight loss and feeling more energetic.

If I developed cancer I'd likely try the keto diet. From what I've read it isn't a cure for cancer but can often be beneficial, extending life, for those with the disease.

If you get the time ... please watch some of the YouTube clips from Dr. Berry and Dr. Berg. The Keto diet will remove the environment in which cancer cells thrive. It's a great deterrent where diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and other ills are concerned. But it's true that most people aren't going to try something like this unless and until their back is up against the wall. That's where I found myself and I'm glad I stumbled upon this diet. I love beef, butter, and cheese which are all "Keto friendly" foods. I miss bread sometimes but that craving has all but disappeared.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,799 Times in 884 Posts

Not sure why you feel the need to only eat organic, grass-fed, free-range, truly healthy foods. That’s not Keto, I never buy any of that over priced crap and I’m doing great on a low carb diet. Hell in a pinch I’ll stop at Mickey D and grab 6-8 Mac Doubles throw away the bread, it’s enough for several meals. Dress them up with mustard or mayo and lettuce and they’re not bad. I make the low carb mug bread & toast it and have a full fledged hamburger without the carbs.
When we eat out if I’m having Mexican I’ll stick with fajitas and bring my low carb wraps. When we go to a burger joint I bring my low carb bread and I’m good to go. Most places have chicken wings without breading so that’s an easy meal also.
First year or two I lost 80 pounds and have maintained my weight over the last 5 years. Times I’ll drop off of it and eat processed food, I immediately feel like crap, no energy, headaches, you name it.
Keto or low carb is the only way to go...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tyrone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,694 Times in 7,834 Posts

One of my Facebook friends has been talking about the keto diet. One of her other friends said "it sounds like your menu is dripping in grease".

She "countered" that by posting her menus for the day and describing her diet in great detail = dripping in grease. That just doesn't sound appealing. I also don't like the "keto bread, keto pancakes" etc. And sliced cabbage is not a substitute for noodles.

LOTS of cooking, lots of work, dishes, etc. I am looking for another way - and yes I did try it. I had a lot of digestive issues from all the grease in my diet.

I have gone to a more moderate in everything diet. I eat a minimum on the wheat products. That's just smart. But if I am at a buffet and see a piece of cornbread I am going to eat it.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 63,919 Times in 19,674 Posts

Thanks, I never heard of "mug bread".
Have to give it a try.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Certified Organic Grower

Thanked 10,898 Times in 3,367 Posts

I dated a gal for a very short time and ended it due to the keto crotch effect.
For some gals...... it is quite real.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:42 PM

I never heard of keto crotch women. I don't think I'll give them a try!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post

you might want to rethink that. being in ketosis means your body is SICK not well. every bite of fat you eat, eating a keto diet stops your immune system from working until that fat is digested. your red blood cells clump together and stack like pennies. the last thing you would need if you had cancer.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francessanne View Post
you might want to rethink that. being in ketosis means your body is SICK not well. every bite of fat you eat, eating a keto diet stops your immune system from working until that fat is digested. your red blood cells clump together and stack like pennies. the last thing you would need if you had cancer.
Supposedly, you can fix the red blood cell clumping effect by taking Niacin supplements.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Not sure why you feel the need to only eat organic, grass-fed, free-range, truly healthy foods. That’s not Keto, I never buy any of that over priced crap and I’m doing great on a low carb diet. Hell in a pinch I’ll stop at Mickey D and grab 6-8 Mac Doubles throw away the bread, it’s enough for several meals. Dress them up with mustard or mayo and lettuce and they’re not bad. I make the low carb mug bread & toast it and have a full fledged hamburger without the carbs.
When we eat out if I’m having Mexican I’ll stick with fajitas and bring my low carb wraps. When we go to a burger joint I bring my low carb bread and I’m good to go. Most places have chicken wings without breading so that’s an easy meal also.
First year or two I lost 80 pounds and have maintained my weight over the last 5 years. Times I’ll drop off of it and eat processed food, I immediately feel like crap, no energy, headaches, you name it.
Keto or low carb is the only way to go...
As they say ... we are what we eat. The same is true of cattle and chickens. Feeding cattle natural grass is a thousand times better than feeding them grain, antibiotic, and hormones. Grain is little more than glorified sugar. Grass fed beef is much more nutritious than grain/corn fed beef. However, I never knock what anyone else chooses to eat. I would rather see folks eat a low-level Keto diet than the S.A.D. diet of America and the West in general (SAD = Standard American Diet). Whatever works for you. I prefer the quality and taste of grass-fed, top level food but not everyone can afford it. I fully understand and I don't look down on anyone for doing what they gotta do.

I'll never leave the Keto diet. Once I began to research it, it made perfect sense and my body fully agreed with what the experts were saying about it. I'm grateful for the YouTubers out there who bring great content to the Tube on a routine basis. I watch lots of channels and continue to learn and grow (mentally ... not physically).
Old 05-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast Grower View Post
I dated a gal for a very short time and ended it due to the keto crotch effect.
For some gals...... it is quite real.
The "Crotch Effect" turned out to be a hoax. There are a lot of "health gurus" who hate the Keto diet because it's cutting into their sales. Jillian Michaels tried to debunk Keto because she sells a ton of high carb supplements. Keto hurts her brand.

Also, one of the main opponents to Keto and a site that pushes the "crotch effect" myth is Vice.com. They chose an appropriate name for themselves. CNN, the Washington Post, and other liberal, leftist groups pushed the fake story as well. Anyway, here's an article debunking that false claim:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...to-crotch.aspx
Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
One of my Facebook friends has been talking about the keto diet. One of her other friends said "it sounds like your menu is dripping in grease".

She "countered" that by posting her menus for the day and describing her diet in great detail = dripping in grease. That just doesn't sound appealing. I also don't like the "keto bread, keto pancakes" etc. And sliced cabbage is not a substitute for noodles.

LOTS of cooking, lots of work, dishes, etc. I am looking for another way - and yes I did try it. I had a lot of digestive issues from all the grease in my diet.

I have gone to a more moderate in everything diet. I eat a minimum on the wheat products. That's just smart. But if I am at a buffet and see a piece of cornbread I am going to eat it.
I have yet to eat a Keto meal that's "dripping in grease." The misunderstanding is that a Keto meal should be about 70% in fat calories --- not 70% in fat. There's a big difference. There are more calories in fat than there are in meats. So a little bit of fat provides more calories than a lot of meat.

The meals I eat usually have about a tablespoon of ghee or butter or a couple of tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil or avocado oil. The rest of the fat comes in the beef. I NEVER eat soybean oil, canola oil, corn oil, or any of the other toxic, chemically derived oils in that category. Only the good stuff!!

It's interesting how much misinformation has already been fomented about the Keto diet in less than 15 posts. Everyone's an expert without ever having done the research. Welcome to modern America!! But hey ... America is one of the fattest nations on earth and they love it so. It's why pizza and sugar rule America's kitchens. Read the ingredients on your Mayo, Ketchup, Mustard, Bread, and Spice packaging. There's sugar (major carb) in almost everything. Sugar, pasta, bread, grains, etc. will spike your blood sugar and create lots of insulin problems. It will cause fatty liver which leads to a number of major issues. But like I said earlier, I ate that crap for 58 years so I have no room to knock anyone else who chooses to remain overweight and generally unhealthy. That's a choice they get to make. The AMA loves the "SAD" diet because it keeps them in their mansions and Mercedes.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,694 Times in 7,834 Posts

OH, this is straight out of a keto dieter's Facebook. "I fried the eggs and bacon in coconut oil, then I added coconut oil to my coffee". How is that NOT dripping in grease?

I lost 80 pounds, twice, on low carb. I know all about the evil carbs. However, for me it is unsustainable due to high levels of cooking, meal prep, dishes, etc. After taking care of myself, my business, and my husband I got nothing left. I also sell junk food for a living and am tempted on occasion.

For now I am just trying to focus on getting at least 60 grams of protein a day, as I am working out and need it. I drink a lot of milk, eat a lot of yogurt, have carbs on occasion but not often. My last blood tests were fantastic, so I am happy.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francessanne View Post
I believe you are thinking of ketoacidosis.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,188 Times in 830 Posts

35 lbs in two months here using keto. That's even eating out often( due to work) the choices are there if you look.

Even "guys" night at Buffalo Wild wings is a go as traditional wings and several sauces meet low to no carb and macros.

I've found substitutes for almost all my old favorites pizza, breads ,rice etc. Honestly it's one of the easier diets, you can be super strict and figure macros and such or like me and simply stay under 20 carbs and lose ( I do supplement with a drink called keto meltdown to increase ketone level).

Only thing I did learn recently is watch protein, I was heavy on that and wasn't losing as quickly, come to find out excess protein is converted to glucose apparently, that hampered me in beginning.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,390 Posts

Glad it's working for you AJ.

Been doing it with some Intermittent Fasting, see Dr. Jason Fung for more info, for close to 2 years. Lost a little over 70 lbs and corrected my diabetes. So much better than having to take a minimum of 3 meds for the rest of my life. I'm maintaining weight at this point, but plan on losing another 15. Not gonna lie, the first couple of months were a little difficult, but the weight came off pretty quick and regular, so the results were worth it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
OH, this is straight out of a keto dieter's Facebook. "I fried the eggs and bacon in coconut oil, then I added coconut oil to my coffee". How is that NOT dripping in grease?

I lost 80 pounds, twice, on low carb. I know all about the evil carbs. However, for me it is unsustainable due to high levels of cooking, meal prep, dishes, etc. After taking care of myself, my business, and my husband I got nothing left. I also sell junk food for a living and am tempted on occasion.

For now I am just trying to focus on getting at least 60 grams of protein a day, as I am working out and need it. I drink a lot of milk, eat a lot of yogurt, have carbs on occasion but not often. My last blood tests were fantastic, so I am happy.
You clearly have not done enough research. You are stating your bias with the comments about 'dripping in grease'. What have you actually researched about grease/fat and it's effects on the body? What have you researched on cholesterol and how many forms there are? I think you are depending far too much on information given to you by the same people that came up with the food pyramid.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post: