Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitness kayak advice needed. thequintessentialman Health, Fitness and First Aid 15 12-04-2017 12:05 AM
Things to Consider Before Buying a Fishing Kayak bdfg101 Boating and Fishing 11 10-11-2017 11:26 AM
Kayak Angelina River Texas between FM343 and HWY21 match Boating and Fishing 0 07-11-2017 08:33 PM

Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,197 Posts
Default Trolling motor on a kayak

Advertise Here

I have watched several videos, and done some reading I am looking for practical on hands info out side commercial interests everyone had something they could sell

Thanks......

As a winter project I am looking to put a small trolling motor on my kayak.
My primary question here is on batteries. I am looking for lightweight with a decent output. I would have no problem using several smaller batteries that I could swap out over the weekend vs one larger heavier one that will run the entire time.

I am not looking to go fast or use it very much just maybe to troll around a bit when I can concentrate on the rod, and not the paddle. Maybe to push me across the lake or help on a windy day.

100ah deep cycle batteries run 65lb from what I looked up. I dont even know what motor or mount I will use yet. I just figured I wanted to start with battery weights and limitations first.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,681 Times in 540 Posts

I am a strong supporter of electric drives/trolling motors. But the battery weight is going to be the challenge to deal with. And a smaller/lighter battery than you listed....will give a short run time. Not knowing which kayak your rigging up...limits options. One thing to consider, A Honda 2hp is only 28 pounds....will turn your kayak into a speed boat at full throttle....and strong head winds will not be an issue

some here are making claims about run times...on smaller batteries.......

www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/selection/86961351
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,669 Times in 2,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHere View Post
I have watched several videos, and done some reading I am looking for practical on hands info out side commercial interests everyone had something they could sell

Thanks......

As a winter project I am looking to put a small trolling motor on my kayak.
My primary question here is on batteries. I am looking for lightweight with a decent output. I would have no problem using several smaller batteries that I could swap out over the weekend vs one larger heavier one that will run the entire time.

I am not looking to go fast or use it very much just maybe to troll around a bit when I can concentrate on the rod, and not the paddle. Maybe to push me across the lake or help on a windy day.

100ah deep cycle batteries run 65lb from what I looked up. I dont even know what motor or mount I will use yet. I just figured I wanted to start with battery weights and limitations first.
The neighborhood where I live has a big lake, and one of the rules is only trolling motors. So, I have the exact setup you are talking about. There are only 5a few components needed for this to work without having to do mods of all sorts. My particular set up was this: Squareback canoe, trolling motor, 12v deep cycle battery, waterproof battery cage that battery goes into, battery charger, trolling motor handle extender. That's it. Simple to use, will get you where you want...fun

edit - just noticed you said kayak and not canoe. Disregard post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,667 Posts

I'm guessing there are smaller,lighter batteries out there,that pack a punch....but...at 10X the $$$$$$.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
I am a strong supporter of electric drives/trolling motors. But the battery weight is going to be the challenge to deal with. And a smaller/lighter battery than you listed....will give a short run time. Not knowing which kayak your rigging up...limits options. One thing to consider, A Honda 2hp is only 28 pounds....will turn your kayak into a speed boat at full throttle....and strong head winds will not be an issue
Many of the lakes around here are non fuel, electric or sail only, and those are the ones I want to build for. My wishlist is for a small outboard john boat, but those I cant drag around by myself and would limit me to ramps and roads for places I wanted to go.

My main fishing kayak is a Pelican120 the weight capacity is 400 I have a SIS as well not as much capacity or as comfortable. I chose the pelican because of the seat and have spent 8plus hours in it with no cramping, I can stand when I need to. I have done weekend loadouts with tents bags food and gear well under that weight limit. It is a tank to get going when loaded full and with battery/motor added I dont want to turn it into a sit and spin.

But now add 70lb battery, and ??? for motor and mount, I will have to change my load-out. So I figured a base camp with a couple of smaller batteries and swap them out, or leave the whole setup in the truck depending on my mood. 18-30-55# pound thrusts still research mode, most of the builds I have seen were just too bulky for what I want.

I will spend on a good battery if it meets my needs, even if I need to parallel them up for extended runs.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,512 Posts

my advice to handle all these problems would be make a small outrigger, and have attachment points for 10ft poles that way you can design a place to attach the motor next to the kyak while having the weight balanced as well as stabilize the whole thing. by having the battery system in the outrigger itself
plus if you got creative you could put a cargo net kinda deal over the space and have a working floating platform to chill on when you want out of the boat
The Following User Says Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
my advice to handle all these problems would be make a small outrigger, and have attachment points for 10ft poles that way you can design a place to attach the motor next to the kyak while having the weight balanced as well as stabilize the whole thing. by having the battery system in the outrigger itself
plus if you got creative you could put a cargo net kinda deal over the space and have a working floating platform to chill on when you want out of the boat
I have actually thought about an outrigger, not on the motor facet until now.....

The kayak is currently designed for standing, but when I cast, I get a wobble, think bear on a skateboard and it just a matter of time until I get wet. I figured just for some stability when I fly cast a pontoon would help ....

Time for a new scratch pad.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote:
I have actually thought about an outrigger, not on the motor facet until now.....

The kayak is currently designed for standing, but when I cast, I get a wobble, think bear on a skateboard and it just a matter of time until I get wet. I figured just for some stability when I fly cast a pontoon would help ....

apparently my ideas not new, heres some stuff i found with a quick google search

conversely if you wanted more stability and power you could do two and connect the trolling motors with a swing bar like you would use in a hang glider to controll both motors simultaneously plus with that level of stability you could also use a small sail
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
apparently my ideas not new, heres some stuff i found with a quick google search

conversely if you wanted more stability and power you could do two and connect the trolling motors with a swing bar like you would use in a hang glider to controll both motors simultaneously plus with that level of stability you could also use a small sail
I have seen many DIYs that is a very clean set thank you.

I have a 48" down wind sail kit weighs in at 1lb light tent material, and spring steel frame. I have played with it, but wind direction and my intent never aligned with each other. So I ended up paddling back to where I wanted to be. It is in one of my dry bags, and there if needed.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,862 Times in 9,527 Posts

Quote:

I owned an old Townes canoe for several years, and I considered buying a fishing kayak, but I chose a 14ft Foldabote powered by a 5hp motor instead. It moves easily using the motor or using oars, and it handles wind and waves very well. Extremely stable for fly fishing.
https://www.porta-bote.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	248098  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,486 Posts

Hello!

You sound like a person of "like mind"!!!

I did this several years ago and you can benefit from my experience. I had a Malibu 2 xl, sot kayak. I don't know the exact specs for it but they are online.

You DO NOT NEED A HUGE BATTERY!!!!

I had two atv batteries, not deep cycle just regular batteries. I took an old minn kota trolling motor (cheapest one walmart sells) I think its like 48-50 lbs thrust. You have to take it apart........ not terribly complicated but make sure you know which wires go to the twist control as it becomes important later on.

Put the kayak up on saw horses. take the "head" off of the trolling motor and set aside. stick the motor up through one of the scupper holes in the bottom of the kayak where the blade will not hit the kayak. Use one of the clamps that came on the trolling motor to lock in the depth and mark it on the trolling motor shaft. Take everything back off of the kayak and cut the trolling motor shaft so that only enough sticks through that you can attach the depth control clamp. Now fill the end of the shaft with silicon.

I cut some holes in my kayak for storage. Covered these with standard compartment hatches (the screw on kind). Take the switch from the trolling motor and mount it to the access cover. I then wired the speed control to the battery cables and the motor wires to a color coded block that went through the floor of the boat close to the scupper hole the motor goes in.

Basically I would float the kayak with the atv battery installed in about 3' of water. stick the motor up through the hole and attach the clamp. plug the wires into the block and climb aboard! I found it easiest to steer with the paddle and just let the motor do forward motion.

With the atv battery I would get 5-6 hours of use easily. Realize that a kayak is super light compared to a john boat. I rarely ever used it above 1 or 2. Kayaks are non planning so after about 5-6 mph the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

I enjoyed years of fun with this setup. It is more difficult than just throwing the yak in and going but it easily quadruples the amount of distance you can travel.

Good luck and have fun!

If I find my pics ill post them.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guntoteninfadel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,699 Times in 524 Posts

Lithium power pack https://www.dakotalithiumbattery.com...SAAEgKpRfD_BwE
Old 01-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,310 Times in 856 Posts

I have been fooling around with electric motors on boats for a number of years. Currently using a Torqeedo 1003 on a 9 1/2 foot air floor inflatable dinghy. I realize that the Torqeedo, kayak motor is probably out of your price range.

Before that I have been using the AGM U1 "Lawn Tractor" batteries--these are 36 amp hours and weight about 22# are going to be a far better battery than a 100 amp hour battery. I have used the same 48# thrust 12 volt trolling motor for many years--and on a 12 foot jon boat I would get 3 to 4 hours on a 100 amp hour battery. For these U1 batteries you can get several hours at low speeds on the kayak--and I think they are far more practical than one of the larger batteries. If you have a camp setup--then charge with solar panels.
The Following User Says Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:17 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway View Post
I have been fooling around with electric motors on boats for a number of years. Currently using a Torqeedo 1003 on a 9 1/2 foot air floor inflatable dinghy. I realize that the Torqeedo, kayak motor is probably out of your price range.

Before that I have been using the AGM U1 "Lawn Tractor" batteries--these are 36 amp hours and weight about 22# are going to be a far better battery than a 100 amp hour battery. I have used the same 48# thrust 12 volt trolling motor for many years--and on a 12 foot jon boat I would get 3 to 4 hours on a 100 amp hour battery. For these U1 batteries you can get several hours at low speeds on the kayak--and I think they are far more practical than one of the larger batteries. If you have a camp setup--then charge with solar panels.
Yea that is a nice motor, but as you said$$$$$

That looks like about the amp hour to weight I want, if I got three of the same, I could parallel if I wanted to and come out about the same as a single 100amp hour
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM

You should check up on the rules for your state. In Kentucky a kayak or canoe does not need to be licensed or registered. Once you put a motor on it. (gas or electric) it needs to be tagged and taxes paid every year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waynco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 PM

I have a fishing buddy that did this with a canoe.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,556 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I owned an old Townes canoe for several years, and I considered buying a fishing kayak, but I chose a 14ft Foldabote powered by a 5hp motor instead. It moves easily using the motor or using oars, and it handles wind and waves very well. Extremely stable for fly fishing.
https://www.porta-bote.com
A FELLOW Porta-boter.

I picked up one used(8') out of curiosity to see how it worked as opposed to a canoe. I like something I can throw on the top of my Jeep.

Liked it so much, later in the summer I found the 12 footer at a garage sale. Figure it will work for grand kids etc.

I have a little old 4hp Johnson that works on both of them.

Take a little getting used to but a lot easier than the canoe to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Discipulus De Historia

Thanked 1,650 Times in 616 Posts

I didn't read every post but have you considered a lithium ion automotive battery. They come in several flavors and have considerably less weight and better endurance without damaging them. You can find them on Amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to fidalgoman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 05:35 AM

I'm trying to make such a monster, but I don't really understand, do I need a paddle or not? It is worth taking just in case, I think here to get. Additionally, I will make a special compartment for it, so as not to take up extra space, plastic hooks with a clip.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:38 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,785 Times in 9,799 Posts

On your Pelican120

The actual build

Use whatever trolling motor you want. You don't need anything special to scoot a kayak across the water, but I can tell you that 50lb of thrust will surprise you. I would say it's too much just for casual fishing on small lakes... but it comes in handy when you need to go 4-5 miles to a specific bay to catch some reds. I typicall paddle out and use the motor coming back when I'm tired. Damn... I haven't been out in a while. Now you're making me want to go fishing... thanks. :P

I know you would prefer to buy, but honestly, this is an easy project. Get a buddy to come over and help...

*EDIT* If your PVC is too large (thicker pipe typically is), use a heat gun to make it very pliable. You can then rotate it into the hole to the depth you want. Let it cool into shape before pulling it out again. To flare the ends of PVC (like standard rod holders, use a beer bottle on heated pipe. It will flare the end as it widens the end.

ALWAYS BRING YOUR PADDLE! (mount it on the side) or like you said Liam, break it down and put it in a hatch if you have one.