Stop putting off exercise (you know who you are) - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should Trump stop building the wall until CA secession is settled? slackercruster Political News and Discussion 54 03-02-2018 06:50 PM
Dear Humanity: Please Stop Releasing Balloons! AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-11-2017 11:00 AM
PA official rejects ‘insane’ demand to stop paying terrorists cat1978 Political News and Discussion 1 05-04-2017 03:24 PM
How can the US military be so powerful yet can't stop ISIS? Unbelievable General Discussion 99 02-08-2017 09:35 PM
Tru-Spec Combat Tru Shirt W/P Nyco Rip Stop from - $20.29 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 10-28-2016 06:06 PM

Old 05-17-2017, 03:44 PM

Advertise Here

I always think I am in good shape, then I go for a run.....
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mesha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 05:13 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPrepper View Post
You are spot on, working out and saving are the most not fun things (especially when compared to buying new guns and shooting them) but the most likely to help your every day life now and after a disaster.

Usually exercise posts are met with people who roll out the excuses about how they are old and their knees hurt or they have some injury that prevents them from doing anything. Except for the very very rare cases everyone can do some kind of exercising even if it is just walking or some pushups on their knees. Oh and regardless of health we can all eat better.

Its amazing how 95% of a person's ailments magically disappear when they stop being obese, which let's face it in some states like Louisiana and Mississippi more than one in three people are (http://stateofobesity.org/states/la/). Here is the chart below, unless you are made of pure muscle its time to have a come to Jesus moment about being obese or at least overweight:

If you are 5' 11" for example (and go get your accurate height, if you are 5' 11" you are not 6', sounds dumb but after measuring people for years in the Army post PT test everyone complained about being listed as "shorter than they were", sorry but you are what you are) you should weigh no more than 179lbs, more than 219 and you are OBESE.
That's hilarious, I'm 5'8" 200# and this thing has me at obese. I may have about 10 lbs of fat on me over "posing weight" but I'm solid muscle with a 33" waiste and haven't been in the "optimal range" on this chart (or lifted a weight) since I was 14. I also sink like a rock to the bottom of the swimming pool which makes swimming exceptionally hard for me. Not to be a jerk about it, but this chart does not necessarily apply to everyone, not sure I trust it to apply to anyone.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Not to discredit GoodPreppers keen and pertinent post, I was just a little taken back to find I'm obese. After sleeping on it and re-reading it, I probably shouldn't have posted my last and added negativity. The post and the entire thread are dead-on. Just be careful using that chart is all, humans have a wide range of normal- if I tried to get down to 150# it would literally kill me, I have a buddy my height who's never weighed more than 130#.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesha View Post
I always think I am in good shape, then I go for a run.....
Lol! So true!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:19 PM
I love this forum

but but isnt sex all the exercise we need?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,453 Times in 10,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disidoro View Post
If a person doesn't exercise, eat healthy and generally maintain a healthy lifestyle and attitude, they might not survive to actually see the apocalypse.
Wouldn't that be a bitch?
Yeah, and how are your pushups and runs doing?

Stupidity and ignorance of how an apocalypse may occur will be the bigger issue. The stupid and ignorant have a shorter shelf life leading up to a collapse than those who are knowledgable but need to physically firm themselves.

As such, disidoro, you'll be one of the first to burn out.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 AM
5 Will Survive

The majority of SB members are very fine people. They're doing the best they can to improve themselves and help others.

A few, however, are destructive scabs, full of hypocrisy and never posting meaningful content. Not always, but frequently, they lean towards marxism and demonizing of others, always criticizing, but never helping.

A few of them are disidoro, MattB, and jojo.

However, for those interested, this thread is a great opportunity to help other SB members.

If people here find themselves struggling with physical health, motivation, or depression, here are some excellent starting stories:

The first is someone who members may know about, Tex Grebner.

Grebner started out posting archery and shooting vids, and had an accidental discharge that went through his leg.

He was struggling with weight problems, and when he posted his accident to share it as a learning experience he was mercilessly trolled by lowlifes.

Tex Grebner is a well meaning, patriotic and good natured individual. He's also humble and learns from life's challenges.

Well, in about a year, Grebner completely transformed himself, from being dangerously overweight and with low self esteem into a lean, mean survival machine. His transformation is VERY motivational.

Here he is before:

And here he is after, and with his transformation video, looking much fitter, with sculpted arms, chest and shoulders and massive weight loss:

And he fully concedes that he hates working out. His prime motivators for his transformation were self loathing and the vicious, cruel personal attacks from the dirty masses of youtube.

Tex isn't the only one, there's tons of motivational vids from others who are going through physical, time management, or emotional challenges just like any of us. I'll try to post more later to help those SB members who want to improve themselves.

Members, if you're struggling with health, but want to change, now's the time. Find whatever motivational strategies you need, but get out there and get healthy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Default Stop putting off exercise (you know who you are)

Junglecrawler you my friend That eas Perfectly said. I Thank You for it. To Grebner you are and inspiration to everyone with any problem they deal with.
At some point you have to say to yourself I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.
I have tattoo on my back that says. The only one that can stop me is the guy in the mirror.
I think about it during difficult times.
To Gaston you may want to read what junglecrawler wrote and reflect.
The Following User Says Thank You to acs75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 AM

Last weekend we hit up some yard sales and I scored a like-new Everlast punching bag with gloves for only $5! I set it up in our garage and have used it twice. All I can say is wow...it kicked my butt! I would set my timer for 1 minute and would punch the bag and work on head movement and small combos. After the timer went off I would rest for about 30 seconds and take a sip of water. I did 3 one-minute sets and I was sweating like a pig! Great work out!
The Following User Says Thank You to dompamar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 AM
5 Will Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dompamar View Post
Last weekend we hit up some yard sales and I scored a like-new Everlast punching bag with gloves for only $5! I set it up in our garage and have used it twice. All I can say is wow...it kicked my butt! I would set my timer for 1 minute and would punch the bag and work on head movement and small combos. After the timer went off I would rest for about 30 seconds and take a sip of water. I did 3 one-minute sets and I was sweating like a pig! Great work out!
Great job, Dom!

You want to work up to 3 to 4 minute rounds, with 30 second rests. There's some really great heavy bag routines you can find on youtube that will keep your workouts fun for months.
The Following User Says Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Great post. Any sort of exercise you can stick with is the best. Personally, my favourites are walking and biking. I will throw in the odd run here and there. My main forms of exercise are walking and biking. I am in really good shape; meaning I can keep up to cross fitters. Also, not to toot my own horn, I also have a very athletic body. I do not go to a gym or follow a special diet. Everything is moderation. My secret is consistency.

Start somewhere. Marching 5 minutes while watching TV is a good start.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinterPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 08:08 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,641 Posts

I'm in bad shape. My physical condition is my biggest concern with regards to prepping.

Three weeks ago, my wife and I picked up an eliptical machine. It's easy on the knees. I've been using it faithfully almost every morning. If anyone is in the market, we picked up a Sole E95 and we were very pleased with the quality.

Thanks to the OP for the encouragement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaffeineBuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 11:37 AM
devil's advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoSay View Post
Not to discredit GoodPreppers keen and pertinent post, I was just a little taken back to find I'm obese. After sleeping on it and re-reading it, I probably shouldn't have posted my last and added negativity. The post and the entire thread are dead-on. Just be careful using that chart is all, humans have a wide range of normal- if I tried to get down to 150# it would literally kill me, I have a buddy my height who's never weighed more than 130#.
There's a word for the nonsense you're spouting right now: fatlogic. https://www.reddit.com/r/fatlogic/

Nobody just accidentally becomes a BMI outlier. The only way you reach the "obese" category with muscle mass alone is if you are weight training for hours every day. Even then, most muscular people should fall within the healthy BMI (the reason there's a wide range for "healthy weight" is to accommodate different amounts of muscle) or maybe slightly overweight. NOT 30+lbs overweight, ie obese.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki View Post
There's a word for the nonsense you're spouting right now: fatlogic. https://www.reddit.com/r/fatlogic/

Nobody just accidentally becomes a BMI outlier. The only way you reach the "obese" category with muscle mass alone is if you are weight training for hours every day. Even then, most muscular people should fall within the healthy BMI (the reason there's a wide range for "healthy weight" is to accommodate different amounts of muscle) or maybe slightly overweight. NOT 30+lbs overweight, ie obese.
Sorry, you are just wrong. Some people have more natural muscle mass and are denser than others, outside the ranges on that asinine chart. I wear size 33 jeans at 200#, and wore a size 32 when I wrestled at 185# in high school with six-pack abs. I haven't weight trained in over 25 years. If you concider that obese, you're just as foolish as that chart. Take it or leave it, smoke it or choke it.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 AM

Being a young, new, fresh poster here I'd like to offer a bit of my personal insight. Back when I was a freshman in high school (4 years ago) I was religiously "into" working out and eating healthy. For a couple years I was working out 6 times a week, starting at 5 am doing an hour run before school, going home, shower, school, go to the gym for an hour, get home, do mma for another hour or more. I was a lean 180 pounds (I'm 140 now and likely had a lower overall BF% back then.). I was diagnosed with Dilated Cardio Myopathy, an enlarged left ventricle, at 14 years old. My doctor had me stop exercising as it could be lethal, a local high schooler had just dropped dead on the court after making the game winning shot at a basketball game with the same heart issue. It took me about 6 months to get back into working out, this is when I reached the height of my health. Shortly after I had a really nasty case of the flu, followed by a nasty virus which led to me losing about 15 pounds, you absolutely cannot workout with the flu and certain health problems I was told.

I never finished HS, instead I'm going to school for welding, automotive repair, and my GED, in fact I leave for my GED class in about an hour. Between 3 different schools, a very committed relationship, working full time, and renting my own house, I'm still able to make time for exercise. I don't care what your excuse is, to put it bluntly exercise could have killed me, yet I knew by taking it easy and easing back into I would be much healthier and stronger in the long run. After 4 years of recovery, today I can tell you nothing in life can hold you back. No disease, no responsibility, nothing can hold you back. As of now, my workout regime consists of MMA, calisthenics, and cardio. I'm no longer into the heavy lifting, as it simply isn't "worth it for me". Eating 6000+ calories a day simply isn't practical and I don't have time for 3+ hrs of exercise every day and money for supplements. On top of my daily routine, I also love to be outdoors. Mountain biking, kayaking and fishing, hiking, and swimming (I live a mile from lake Michigan) are ways I've found to increase my level of activity.

My team and I are currently putting together a training program in addition to our current program (currently training for survival, IE hunting, camping, hiking, shooting, etc). Our new plan will be two different categories. Category one is daily routine, simple fitness for the majority of our members. Category two is for those who wish to be in what I like to call our advanced group. Category two consists of many things, on top of a more advanced survival/tactical training program we also have higher goals such as being able to complete a 5k run in a certain amount of time, being able to swim a certain distance in both river and lake, scuba diving, a 10 mile hike with gear, and being able to mountain bike through semi-rough terrain for 15 miles, 30 consecutive pushups, 15 pull ups, 50 sit ups, and a base weight to be able to bench, squat, & deadlift based on your current body weight. We also require sparring with weapons, and hand-to-hand combat in this category. This may sound rather rough, and as we technically don't like to call ourselves a militia, but we are preparing for what ever lies ahead. As I said, this isn't our typical member, this is only for a small group who aspire to be the best of our best.

Sorry for the long response, just figured I'd share my input as a young, motivated member with a unique case.
The Following User Says Thank You to MUCDP For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,480 Times in 4,084 Posts

This is a great post and the type of topic that doesn’t generate a lot of discussion…fitness is the cheapest, but hardest aspect of being prepared. Those that complain about genetics, ailments, medical history, etc. are just fooling themselves…poor health is largely a personal decision.

So, I’m just wrapping up about 29 years of service in the Army. My whole career included watching weight and sustaining a basic level of fitness. The only way I’ve been able to stay on track is effort outside of the standard physical fitness schedules. Diet is also key and I’ll be the first to admit that I never really took it too serious until just the last few years. I don’t run as often, but I do anywhere from 20-30 minutes daily on an elliptical along with my weight lifting routines. Getting into a consistent habit is the hardest part; and then diversifying those routines to avoid getting into a rut is the second hardest. A proper diet is simply a life-style change. My only vice is beer, which is a modest vice. I probably drink a single soda a year if I drink anything surgery at all. Just water, coffee, tea, and beer.

We have cut down on red meat, we eat more vegetables and fruits, fewer simple carbs, less salt and sugar. The key is portion control (my biggest problem).

My wife has never really been overweight but she’s never really been athletic either. We do love backpacking, but last year, she tried on of those video workout routines and dieting plans (Beachbody/21-day fix). As with any program, it truly takes dedication and discipline. My wife lost 35 pounds of an already petite frame, she’s sculpted well and when our schedules are busy during the summer, her weight control is easier with the less-disciplined diet. All she did was 20-30 minutes a day in our backroom with light weights, a bench and a couple of those rubber band devices. The dieting changes are simply disciplined measurements, a little more effort and money on quality foods, and sticking to a schedule. She isn’t as disciplined now at her target weight and workout routine, but it took her a good 6-8 months to get the results. She had some knee problems a few years ago, but now we crank out 70-150-mile section hikes; recovery is faster, more energy, better health overall, less susceptible to flu or other viruses, more solid sleeping habits and generally just more optimistic.

The older I get, the more important my physical condition is. For those that think all you need are skill, knowledge and gear for preparations to survive a crisis will soon find themselves face down with a heart-attack or stroke. The stress a crisis puts on your body is immense. Just because you “use to be” athletic, in the military, had a hard-labor profession, or did a combat tour a decade ago, etc., guarantees nothing today. My wife and I have seen backpackers in their late 60’s and 70’s hauling heavy packs dozens of miles a day up and down rough terrain trails in some pretty hot/humid and brutal temperatures. You don’t need to be in shape to bugout with a 50-pound pack for 100 miles, but a modest amount of routine physical conditioning, improving your diet and eating habits should be a significant part of your preparations.

Your mind and body are the only survival tools you’re personally responsible for and they are equally important. If you’re waiting for the SHTF to get into shape, that’s the wrong answer and will likely lead to a pretty quick demise. Start something today; start now, make it a habit, make that change, find an “accountability partner”, make better diet decisions, cut down on your meal proportions, cut out the highly processed and high sodium/sugar foods and drinks; set short goals and stick with it. Survival starts now, today…it truly starts with your health.

For those needing start cardio. Check out the “Couch to 5km” program. My wife did this with a middle school running club and achieved great results (including herself). For those overweight, consider lower-impact cardio until you start dropping the weight. The only roadblock to getting started are your excuses.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 PM

Well put! I agree, the hardest part for me has always been diet. Way too many sodas in my diet. Dieting is one of those things you don't really notice until you make a change and stick with it. You may not be getting many of the nutrients you need and therefore end up sluggish, weak, etc.. My father always told me "body building is 50% gym 50% kitchen", now I know this is a survival forum and not a body building forum, but it applies just as much. And to those of you who don't think exercise is worth it or necessary, or that you're fine the way you are right now, you might be, but I can tell you from personal and secondhand experience that life is SO MUCH EASIER when you're in good shape. You find yourself being able to climb different structures with ease, you can lift and move stuff with little effort, you just feel so much more energized and life is so much better, you're happier, confident, and motivated. The first while of dieting was the hardest for me. Resisting temptations seemed impossible, and not to mention a strictly healthy diet would upset my stomach, but they both pass, and it's important to remember "healthy eating" doesn't mean never having a beer or burger again. Have a cheat meal, for bodybuilding have one once a week, for physical fitness, 3 cheat meals a week and you'll be golden still. Just emphasize on picking natural foods, healthy eating can be just as or even tastier than that 1/2 lb bacon cheeseburger at apple bees
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MUCDP For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 PM

This is a great thread. I'm constantly trying to get in better shape and it's a struggle. I work away a lot so exercise and eating right is difficult. You can pretty much eat what the hotel has which is seldom healthy. I've got a problem shoulder (It's been stamped out of the socket before and another time ended up with a medium-sized knife stuck in it) so some types of exercise just aren't possible.

I've found something that seems to help. I got some of those resistance bands from Amazon for $20. They take up very little room in a case or bag so I can take them with me and can use them in a hotel room, at home, pretty much anywhere. By no means ideal and doesn't solve the healthy eating problem but it seems to be making a noticeable difference. I just try and avoid processed foods as much as possible and do what I can.

I think it's important to do what works for you while still living the life you've chosen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommy Kaira For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,776 Times in 696 Posts

Back at it at the Gym after a healing break for a double hernia repair and at 71 I`m still working out but not as much as I used to. Kinda like Baby Steps as I have to take it from the bottom again. Every 3 days,I`m there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vlad Tepes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:12 AM
Hiker

I'm not a bodybuilder, but I've found that lifting moderately heavy weights allows me to do the things that I like to do, and have to do, without fear of injury. As people age they usually loose muscle mass, which can lead to injury because weaker muscles lead to instability, which can lead to falls. If I have a flat tire, or I need to move a heavy piece of furniture, I want to be able to accomplish that task without fear of injury. When I have been forced to stop lifting weights, such as during a deployment, I loose strength, and because of that my capabilities lessen. Weight lifting has another benefit that isn't related to strength: muscle requires fuel and fat doesn't so increased muscle mass can utilize fat as an energy source, which decreases body fat. Weight lifting as a way to prevent injury, especially for us non teens has been accepted by every doctor I'm familiar with, and I've seen it myself in my older friends and relatives. Lifting weights also gives you that crazy endorphin buzz that makes you want to continue to exercise. That's a win, win, win situation, that makes lifting moderate weights a PART of your fitness plan. Saying that lifting any weight for more than 15 reps in a set is actually bad for you reminds me of the statements made by athletic "experts" of long ago who said that lifting weights decreases your athletic ability in any sport. Finding an athlete in any sport today who doesn't lift weights in some form is almost impossible. Lifting moderately heavy weights also affects your diet because it causes you to crave more nutritious food, like lean chicken and fish for protein and to a lesser degree fat, and best of all lots of fantastic veggies for carbs, vitamins and minerals. Do your research and read the writings of today's experts and you will find that lifting weights combined with aerobic exercise may not make you live longer, but it will make you live better. Another very interesting topic being researched is the value of moderate fasting to increase fitness and longevity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmaples For This Useful Post: