What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 2032 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 18 04-04-2020 03:47 AM
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 03:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 07:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 06:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 07:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 01:12 PM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 09:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 12:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 10:49 PM

Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,077 Times in 2,269 Posts

Advertise Here

Apparently, if you leave your hand sanitizer in the car, the clear plastic bottles can magnify the sun enough to heat the gel to ignition point, causing it to combust and burn your car up. So store it somewhere out of direct sunlight.

https://www.facebook.com/westernlake...type=3&theater

Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,344 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

A water bottle can do the same thing. The water itself doesn't ignite, but the water in the bottle will magnify the sunlight, igniting whatever is behind the water bottle - like using a magnifying glass to start a fire.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 08:56 PM
Stop YOLOing

You know, the two articles I read didn't specify that, but I bet it's what happens here, too. The gel magnifies the sun and ignites whatever is behind the bottle, then that fire is what ignites the hand sanitizer, which acts like an accelerant. That makes more sense to me than actually heating the gel to ignition point inside the bottle.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,938 Times in 8,504 Posts

Jeff, I think you got the order of things correct. Never tried hand sanitizer for flammable properties, but you can be sure I will now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 10:36 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Jeff, I think you got the order of things correct. Never tried hand sanitizer for flammable properties, but you can be sure I will now.
It makes sense. Hand sanitizer has a high amount of alcohol in it, and alcohol is flammable. Emergency Firestarter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,938 Times in 8,504 Posts

The sample I tried worked in calm air, not so well in a stiff breeze.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:28 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Repotted my Sweet Bay and Black Pepper plants. Set the Kiwi and Mulberry outside to "harden off" prior to planting. Ordered 2 "replacement" fan/heater assemblies for my incubators (can turn the still air incubators into forced air, or just save them for replacement parts.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 06:41 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 28,897 Times in 7,982 Posts

Old 05-22-2020, 06:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,186 Times in 10,220 Posts

Transplanted my pathetic tomato plants into the garden. Not much hope for them, but I will give them a try. Planted from seed in April as usual and they were doing well on the heat mats and under grow lights. Re-potted them to bigger containers in early may and put them outside as usual to harden off. Then the weather got crazy and I haven't been able to get the garden ready until now.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,878 Times in 12,896 Posts

Got home from work and see one of our neighbors cows has wandered into our yard. Gave him a call but heís still away at work. Now Iíve never messed with a cow so the first thing I did was make sure it had multiple udders and not just one.
I then walked around it a good ways so as not to spook it and then did my best foot mounted attempt at being a cowboy. Get-along-lil-doggie and all.
I slow walked the cow along the fence for about 200 yards, got it turned in the right direction on the road, and walked it towards their driveway. Iím not sure which neighbor the cow actually belongs too as both the guy Nextdoor as well as across the street catty-corner have livestock. That decision was made for me as I approached the driveway entrances and the big (really big!) bull comes stomping out into the road. It then dawned on me I am wearing a bright red t-shirt and I have no desire to play matador. I backed off and made sure no traffic showed up and, eventually, the cows (and bull) seemed to sort themselves out. Hopefully tomorrow their owners can make sure they are all where they are supposed to be. The guy across the street has a section of wire fence down that probably needs addressed but with all those open gates I doubt the fence is the only issue.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 28,897 Times in 7,982 Posts

Ordered a couple sets of differing sized see through mesh produce bags.
Great for grocery store produce, as you can rinse content right in the bag.
Also appears have multiple camping & survival uses.
(as a water sieve, to hold socks/undies & miscellaneous)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lots-Fruit-....c100005.m1851

Last edited by bunkerbuster; 05-22-2020 at 08:24 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Unemployed Philosopher

Been waiting for Memorial Day Sales to kick in.

My son's each got to lowers.
Gotta build two pistol and one long gun
Last one is for Dad...
Old 05-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,569 Times in 586 Posts

Helped a neighbour get their new bee swarm settled in, and got their little girl to mark the queen. It's good to have nice neighbours. And he gave me a great piece of wood to make my next longbow with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:06 AM
Prepared

Inventoried the protein section of my preps and reorganized it.
Repacked my get home bag.
Had my brakes redone (guess that counts)
Bought a dozen more cans of goodies for short term. One of those being a 15 oz can of sardines for less than $2 at WinCo. Going to try that out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faultyphoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 03:53 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,596 Times in 3,903 Posts

Not so much a prep, as a major surprise..

I don't trust .gov or politicians, period.

Imagine my shock when i opened the mailbox and discovered a check from the treasury, for 2400.00....

I and the wife do not need the money, we are fine, but its a nice little windfall for sure and will be promptly cashed and stashed....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 04:00 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,596 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
It makes sense. Hand sanitizer has a high amount of alcohol in it, and alcohol is flammable. Emergency Firestarter.
I always carry small and large bottles of the stuff, and once appeared to be a magician as i helped some college kids get their pathetic fire going..

the pajama boys just could not build or get a small fire going, i felt sorry for the gals, figured i'd strut over and assist....

squirted some on, tossed match, shazam, fire....

Had i not been happily married....

ps...wd40 is a good firestarter too...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 05:59 PM
Job 31:6

Location: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is where my heart will always be.
Thanked 2,221 Times in 548 Posts

Our prep for today was first.....we organized / sorted our seeds stash we have. We've already planted for this year, but the wife found some great organizational tote type things and we bought a couple. They work perfectly.

Secondly, I ordered some mosquito netting. We just recently tried hammock camping. If it would have been later in the year, the mosquitoes would have been killing us. The weather was just cool enough that they weren't out yet. So, we decided to get the netting for future use. You never know when you can't use your house!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern-Lights For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 07:18 PM
Stop YOLOing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern-Lights View Post
We just recently tried hammock camping.
One of the best decisions I ever made. Lots of folks who thought they'd never be able to camp again because of bad backs have been able to get back out on the trails after discovering hammocks. No worries about rocks, roots, mud, etc.

That's how my website started, in 2005.
http://tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.php
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 10:35 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Spent most of the morning re-doing the fencing along the "bump-out" section (about 6'deep by 20'long)...pulling back the fencing (wire fencing, plus "rabbit guard", plus lattice) and weeding behind it (tumbleweeds - UGH!), then pushing it back a bit farther to connect it to the cattle panels that form the fencing to daughter's "dog yard". Got my fencing wired up good and snug, which gives it more strength and stability. Then, towards the back and about the midpoint, planted the Kiwi vine that arrived earlier in the week. After that, helped husband move the mangled pile of aluminum that was what was left of my greenhouse frame to the "metal pile" we are getting together for a dump run, then weeded two of the planting beds, while husband tackled the tumbleweeds outside the fence, where the greenhouse frame had been. Also "uncovered" my smaller garden gate from behind the tumbleweeds.

After noon, went into town and got 2 75' soaker hoses that when joined together, replace the old one that had broken apart; also got 6 more artichoke plants. After that, did the commissary run; on the way home, stopped at one grocery store to replenish my Mucinex D (the system that tracks how much of it you buy - thanks, meth cooks - had been down for a week, so this was the first time I'd been able to get more); they also had more ham steaks on sale, so picked up 3, then hit the grocery store across the road to get more freezer paper (about the only place in town that carries it)

After dinner, went outside to start laying out the soaker hose, and when I went to open the gate, saw that my brand-new artichoke plants had been munched! (2 of them had actually been pulled out of the pots, and were on the ground. I rescued them, and put them back in the pots.) Darned BULL was in the garden, AGAIN! Opened the gate so he could get out, but he wasn't cooperating, so went and got the "hot shot." Instead of going out the main gate I had opened for him, he ended up jumping my "little" gate that we had just unburied from the tumbleweeds. Started stretching out the new garden hoses, and discovered that the little moster had chomped my lemongrass and my just-planted kiwi vine! Hopefully, they'll recover.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 12:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,878 Times in 12,896 Posts

Cut some grass today. Havenít gotten the drive belt or replacement blades for the rider yet so it was push mower and weed eater. Surprisingly the 35+/- year old craftsman push mower fired up first pull! It isnít very powerful but it runs like a champ. Weed eater fired up pretty easy too. Guess the small engine gods were on my side today.
I even put some mix gas in the auger I got to see if it would run. Didnít have a chance to test it when I bought it but I was promised it ran. Sure enough, fired right up. Dig a few inches into the hard dirt and called it good.
Now Iím heading to bed. Back isnít happy from all the twisting and pulling of todayís work.