Why do so many people believe that death is gods punishment on society? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-22-2020, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,438 Times in 671 Posts
Default Why do so many people believe that death is gods punishment on society?

Advertise Here

For reference, I've seen so many people in my short 52 year life pass away. My mom died from cirrhosis of the liver when she was 52, so I'm having a year of reflection. Both of my brothers also passes away when they were in their 30's. My dad passed away from a shrimp boat accident when he was 71. He probably would've lived to be 100.To add to that, I worked at an Alzheimer's Assisted Living home when I was between jobs, with well over a dozen deaths during my time there.

My mom, both of my brothers, and all of the deaths at the assisted living home had a slow painful miserable death. Death was an end to their suffering. It WASN'T Gods punishment. I witnessed my brother hooked up to a ventilator for about a year before his body gave out. My other brother jump from a 7th floor balcony. Their death, even though they were young, was a blessing. For me, I feel I am on borrowed time.

I wouldn't wish death upon anybody, but why are we so afraid of death? Why do we medicate older people with a horrible quality of life or with Alzheimer's just to keep them alive and suffering?

I am not religious, but I do believe in God. What if Covid-19 is just Gods way to end the suffering of some of his people and bring them home?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TexasSurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,279 Times in 1,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSurvivor View Post
For reference, I've seen so many people in my short 52 year life pass away. My mom died from cirrhosis of the liver when she was 52, so I'm having a year of reflection. Both of my brothers also passes away when they were in their 30's. My dad passed away from a shrimp boat accident when he was 71. He probably would've lived to be 100.To add to that, I worked at an Alzheimer's Assisted Living home when I was between jobs, with well over a dozen deaths during my time there.

My mom, both of my brothers, and all of the deaths at the assisted living home had a slow painful miserable death. Death was an end to their suffering. It WASN'T Gods punishment. I witnessed my brother hooked up to a ventilator for about a year before his body gave out. My other brother jump from a 7th floor balcony. Their death, even though they were young, was a blessing. For me, I feel I am on borrowed time.

I wouldn't wish death upon anybody, but why are we so afraid of death? Why do we medicate older people with a horrible quality of life or with Alzheimer's just to keep them alive and suffering?

I am not religious, but I do believe in God. What if Covid-19 is just Gods way to end the suffering of some of his people and bring them home?
We should not be afraid of death. It is from God. We should prepare for it and also respect God will to keep us alive as per His plans. We should not seek death and we should not seek life. We should seek God.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 02:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,742 Times in 5,957 Posts

When I was a kid no one shielded us from death, And God was not blamed for it.
However we understood the GOD WILL PROLONG a person's life where they have a specific calling.
This does not mean they have God's blessing, but that their existence has certain potential for work down the line relevant to the time line of mankind even with in small groups or individuals . Samson was called of God to be a judge of israel. Had he reverence for God his life might have been far better, but being egocentric for his great strength, he was only a tool of judgment on the Philistines, nothing more. Sad actually.
People die of all ages even before birth. I believe that God in His divine wisdom sorts these things out for the best. But in all things, in the end when judgment is brought to account these the have been denied life will have some say as well as those who's lives were taken.
Life is a gift, but it is only a training ground for the development of a person's soul for eternal purpose. The value of the eternal soul is in it's conformity to the Creator, usefulness much like having a group of good friends you love to be around and work together as a team.
At this life's end I look forward to these who value God's presents and fellowship with those that love Him, and the purpose for which I am being trained.
I don't fear death and have thought I out lived my usefulness but I am surprised from time to time what use God has for me still .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Prepared

Quote:

Alzheimers, cancer, arthritis, headaches, all sufferings are all a part of death. Death is not solely the final moment of our lives. Its the whole system of physical corruption and breaking down of our bodies. All of that pain and suffering is a part of the death process. You are terminal the moment you are born. No one knows how long this terminally ill patient will live on this earth. Could be hours, could be 100 years. all we know is that there is no getting around that march to an inevitable end on this planet. None of that existed before the fall. So death is our enemy because it was an outcome of the fall. Though one who is in Christ has no need to fear of it for in Christ there is life eternal, in Christ there is the ressurection. To leave this world Outside of Christ is to enter a place where there is only death and a place devoid of the presence of God. Something we as human beings cannot truly fathom, for we have no true reference point in this world to how bad it is. Which is why Jesus describes it the best ways possible that he does as the second death. Dark, smoldering, painful, anguish, suffering. What it truly means to not be in his presence.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mississippi Wolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 05:29 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 60,953 Times in 20,691 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
We should not be afraid of death. It is from God. We should prepare for it and also respect God will to keep us alive as per His plans. We should not seek death and we should not seek life. We should seek God.

Agree for the most part. But we should not be afraid of death UNLESS we deny Christ. Then we should be most afraid of death -- the second death, that is.

Last edited by ActionJackson; 05-27-2020 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: added "be"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 05:31 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Wolf View Post
Alzheimers, cancer, arthritis, headaches, all sufferings are all a part of death. Death is not solely the final moment of our lives. Its the whole system of physical corruption and breaking down of our bodies. All of that pain and suffering is a part of the death process. You are terminal the moment you are born. No one knows how long this terminally ill patient will live on this earth. Could be hours, could be 100 years. all we know is that there is no getting around that march to an inevitable end on this planet. None of that existed before the fall. So death is our enemy because it was an outcome of the fall. Though one who is in Christ has no need to fear of it for in Christ there is life eternal, in Christ there is the ressurection. To leave this world Outside of Christ is to enter a place where there is only death and a place devoid of the presence of God. Something we as human beings cannot truly fathom, for we have no true reference point in this world to how bad it is. Which is why Jesus describes it the best ways possible that he does as the second death. Dark, smoldering, painful, anguish, suffering. What it truly means to not be in his presence.

It's almost as if we start the dying process the moment we're born.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:28 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,729 Times in 8,577 Posts

I think it comes from religious superstition of the Middle Ages. The poor (the majority) were immoral, and that's why they were poor. At least, that's the convenient excuse the elite provided to justify themselves.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:34 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,015 Times in 3,798 Posts

God gives life, God takes life.
sometimes death is supernatural, sometimes not.

don't worry about the one that can kill the body (which will die anyway); worry about the One that can kill the soul.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 08:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,963 Times in 809 Posts

Death doesn't bother me. Christians are assured of everlasting life.
Pain worries me, and being a burden on others.
I do not want to be put to the test.
The Following User Says Thank You to rio nueces For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 08:58 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio nueces View Post
I understand this. Death is an inevitable part of life and I have no doubt my Lord has a place prepared for my arrival. That said I cannot fathom a life where I am on this planet and do not recognize my wife or children. To be stuck in a room somewhere not knowing I'm in the world. Id rather be dead and gone from this place than to live like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mississippi Wolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Generator Wrangler

Thanked 6,375 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
I think it comes from religious superstition of the Middle Ages. The poor (the majority) were immoral, and that's why they were poor. At least, that's the convenient excuse the elite provided to justify themselves.
If that was the sentiment it's odd considering Jesus's affinity for the poor.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:21 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
*Eye roll*
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,828 Times in 9,546 Posts

My husband died back in 2003 he said it was great, he can't wait to go back. That is good enough for me.

He was saved but not exactly righteous at the time, also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,285 Posts

Quote:

Traditionally, Christianity has had this understanding of death:

Man was made to be immortal INSOFAR as he was in communion with God and had the Holy Spirit. The fall of Adam and Eve broke that communion and damaged mankind. Death entered the world not just as a consequence of disobedience, but as God permitting a state of existence for man that would bring an end to his sin. Because what do you have if you have an being untouched by death whose inclination is to do wrong? A demon...

We live in a culture that worships youth and change. "What's the next shiny thing to catch our attention?" Is about as deep as it goes. As a consequence we try and put death and our elderly out of sight and out of mind.

It isn't a healthy way to live.

I would listen to this first:

A Funeral Sermon

If you like that, then you can continue with this (a more academic discussion of the matter):

Staring Death in the Face

I think everyone will find these two podcasts illuminating.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:30 PM
High Concept

Thanked 7,346 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio nueces View Post
Catholics are taught to offer their sufferings because as members of the Body of Christ, those sufferings have value. Suffering has similar power to fasting and combined with prayer and patience, has a very powerful effect.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Your sentence caught my attention. If we shouldn't be afraid of death why wouldn't you "wish death upon anybody?" If death IS a blessing then you would want everyone to experience it.

Our "first death" is a result of our sin nature and Adam's fall from grace in the Garden of Eden. It's really not a blessing but a curse and the just reward for sin. However, it shouldn't be feared nearly as much as "the second death." We seek the Kingdom of God which is everlasting life in the presence of Christ. Deny Him ... and that second chance at eternal life in God's Kingdom is snuffed out.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:15 AM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 2,072 Times in 991 Posts

It is God's punishment for sin. It's all in Genesis.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:12 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,019 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:

DNC-19 is the heathen Left's creation to undermine free society. Be assured of that.