Planted my Coronavirus Survival Garden - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-18-2020, 09:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,054 Posts

Advertise Here

Dude, totally! Having a small lot doesn't mean you can't feed yourself. It means you have to get creative. My lot is much smaller than yours and I produce quite a bit. I've never quantified it and I do supplement with a CSA, but I can say that I haven't purchased veggies from the store since 2012, unless it was something exotic that doesn't grow well here. I can also say that the food pantry three blocks from my house gets regular donations from me. I can't have chickens or ducks, at least not enough to make a difference, because urban. But I do have plenty of veggies!

Interested parties can check out my thread. The early years no longer have pictures but the last couple of years still do. Please enjoy!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 06:37 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,429 Times in 2,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Got my first harvest today, besides the potatoes. Grabbed a large plastic bowl from the cabinets the picked until the bowl was full.
  • Contender snap beans
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow straight neck squash

Funny how the Roma II and contender were planted at the same time, but the contender snap bean is producing before the Roma II.

Okra should be ready in a few weeks.

May 9th and 10th my son and I harvested around 30 - 35 gallons of potatoes.
Congratulations on getting a harvest so far all we've gotten is some lettuce/spinach and green onions for some nice home grown salads, should have some fried green tomatoes before too long if things work out as it appears they will
Old 05-18-2020, 11:12 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,340 Times in 21,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
Dude, totally! Having a small lot doesn't mean you can't feed yourself.
Everytime I see people mention space constraints I remember this place: https://urbanhomestead.org/

A 10th acre lot in the middle of Los Angeles that makes 3.5 tons of fresh produce, 2000 eggs, and 50lbs of honey every year. They have annual sales to restaurants of $50K. That's from just 4000 feet of city lot. One of those tiny lots sold for row houses in inner city slums.

Now they need 3 or 4 people working at it and they had to become a teaching charity because $50K in LA isn't a living wage for 4 adults, but they are making this their full time job. Most residences have far larger lots, so you don't need to intensively work every tiny inch to max production capability. You also don't need several tons of produce annually just to keep the vegetable crisper drawer filled and show a net positive to your home canned goods supply.

Most homeowners should be able to make a fair bit of food on any sized lot. Apartment dwellers may be out of luck, but I've even seen notable production done on tiny patio terraces in my life. Tomatoes, lemons, peppers, and herbs can be done well on just 25 square feet of concrete terrace in pots. That will take a nice bite out of your annual fresh produce needs from the store and ensure you have a lot of essential vitamin micronutrients under your control. Short of actual tenement living you can make food. And neighborhood volunteer gardens have made a nice comeback too.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 06:06 PM

I spent the past two days tilling and planting carrots, potatoes, poblano peppers, cherry and better boy tomatoes, zucchini, and corn. Short growing season so it's plant all at once then feast at harvest time. I have a small greenhouse that I planted with spinach and beets at the end of April that's looking good. I've been thinning the beets and eating beet sprout sammiches which are yummy. Home made bread, bit of mayo, and a wad of beet sprouts. The spinach needs thinned too, think we'll have venison taco's with spinach for the greens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BolivarBill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 06:11 PM

I didn't plant pole beans this year which I have been growing for years. I saw some at a living history museum once and thought they looked cool so I planted some based on that, LOL. Holy cows do they produce! I plant 5 "teepee's" worth and I'll pick a half bushel twice a week for a few weeks. I still have 25 pounds in the freezer from last year so I'm skipping them this go round.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BolivarBill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 AM

So far in the ground we have: tomatoes, potatoes in buckets, radish, mature onions to harvest seeds from, onion starts, peppers of several kinds, zucchini, watermelon, peas, spinach, kale, herbs. Seeds planted 1 watermelon, kajari melon, cantaloupe, pickling cucumbers, regular cucumbers, cucamelon, zinnea. Still making beds for corn and squash and while I'm at it, I'll throw in some pole beans and have a 3 sisters kind of thing going.

I tried carrots and they didn't come up. I have a hard time with carrots but I keep trying.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanicRose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 11:34 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 5,950 Times in 2,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicRose View Post
I tried carrots and they didn't come up. I have a hard time with carrots but I keep trying.
Carrots need patience. It took me about three years spring and fall and a lot of reading to get successful with them. For me the key was planting them just 1/4" deep and then misting them well every day until they popped up. The mist won't dislodge the seed like a stream from a hose might. It usually takes mine anywhere from 10-14 days. It always seems like they'll *never pop up*!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post: