Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-22-2020, 08:26 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,527 Times in 2,261 Posts
Default Yellowstone Idiot

Advertise Here

https://www.click2houston.com/news/2...rks-reopening/

The Park has only been open one day and WHACK!!! It's NOT a petting zoo!

Last edited by jfountain2; 05-22-2020 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: title language
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
https://www.click2houston.com/news/2...rks-reopening/

The Park has only been open one day and WHACK!!! It's NOT a petting zoo!
I saw this too and had to shake my head, mostly at the fact that we had to reopen the park. Why? The opening just means more people traveling through our states when we have been relatively unscathed in this area from the virus.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chickensittin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Will hunt for food!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 389 Posts

Unfortunately, things like this happen on a regular basis in Yellowstone. I lived in Wyoming for several years and you just wouldn't believe the stupid things people have done there.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rockin90 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 09:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,531 Posts

I remember the moron who put their 3 year old on the back of a bear for a picture. It did not turn out good. Remember, You can't fix stupid
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
I remember the moron who put their 3 year old on the back of a bear for a picture. It did not turn out good. Remember, You can't fix stupid
But Darwin always gets a vote and he can end stupid.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 11:14 AM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 9,146 Times in 3,371 Posts

Only been to Yellowstone once.

On the road, there were some cars pulled off to the side. So we stopped to see what was going on. A small herd of bison have moved down into a small vale next to the road. some dude wearing a kilt got out of his car with his camera on a tripod and moved way out onto a spit extending from the road into the small vale and started taking pictures. One of the cows with a calf put her head down and started pawing the ground. You know, just like they do when they get agitated and right before they charge someone. Kilt boy was completely oblivious and just stood there taking pictures. Fortunately for kilt boy, another cow decided is was time to head off and the whole herd moved off at a run. I bet kilt boy still doesn't know how close he came to being an Internet sensation.

The same day, we're driving down the road again and we watched this woman walking down the shoulder of the road walk up behind a big bull standing next to the road. Walked up behind him without a care in the world and past him. Within about three feet. And I mean this bull was BIG. Fortunately, nothing happened again.

It amazes me how stupid some people are in the outdoors. One of the parks rangers was telling a story about a guy visiting the hot springs thought it would be funny to use one for a hot tub one night. Snuck over the railing, disrobed, and slipped into the spring. They didn't even find his bones the next day.

Yeah, lots of Darwin up there.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,806 Times in 1,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
Only been to Yellowstone once.

On the road, there were some cars pulled off to the side. So we stopped to see what was going on. A small herd of bison have moved down into a small vale next to the road. some dude wearing a kilt got out of his car with his camera on a tripod and moved way out onto a spit extending from the road into the small vale and started taking pictures. One of the cows with a calf put her head down and started pawing the ground. You know, just like they do when they get agitated and right before they charge someone. Kilt boy was completely oblivious and just stood there taking pictures. Fortunately for kilt boy, another cow decided is was time to head off and the whole herd moved off at a run. I bet kilt boy still doesn't know how close he came to being an Internet sensation.

The same day, we're driving down the road again and we watched this woman walking down the shoulder of the road walk up behind a big bull standing next to the road. Walked up behind him without a care in the world and past him. Within about three feet. And I mean this bull was BIG. Fortunately, nothing happened again.

It amazes me how stupid some people are in the outdoors. One of the parks rangers was telling a story about a guy visiting the hot springs thought it would be funny to use one for a hot tub one night. Snuck over the railing, disrobed, and slipped into the spring. They didn't even find his bones the next day.

Yeah, lots of Darwin up there.
Here's a link to that bottom story for those interested in the details.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/yello...b058ce7aa9258f

I've gone to Yellowstone probably a dozen times over the years. I agree with everyone here. The level of stupid that can be witnessed is remarkable. In fact if you go, you can practically guarantee you'll witness something dumb at least once a trip.

The worst incident I saw was some hippie lady trying to approach a mama grizzly and her cubs while they were eating on a buffalo carcass. She was 30 to 50 yards from them when the wife and I just got in the car and drove off. I didn't want to see what came next. I never saw anything in the news later so I guess she lived. Still, just plain outright stupidity.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 11:43 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,845 Times in 2,502 Posts

BUT...BUT...
YEARS of watching Disney has taught us that you can walk up and scratch it on the head.. and if it likes it , it will lick our face and they give us a ride. I know, because I saw it on TEEEEEVEEEEE.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 11:59 AM
Amateur of all trades

With the Park being closed for 2 months, certain species of our animals did not get the memo on Social Distancing. I believe ALL Grizzly Bears were issued the memo and the returned, signed copy is on file at Ranger's HQ. So they should be safe to pet and rub their tummies...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superflux For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 12,469 Times in 4,082 Posts

Was in Yellowstone years ago. Saw some people in a convertible feeding bacon to three grizzly bears. Pulled up next to them and asked what they thought the bears would do when the ran out of bacon. Blank stares. Told them to get out of there NOW, before the only thing that smelled like bacon was them. Fortunately, they took my advice.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Buffy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,154 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Was in Yellowstone years ago. Saw some people in a convertible feeding bacon to three grizzly bears. Pulled up next to them and asked what they thought the bears would do when the ran out of bacon. Blank stares. Told them to get out of there NOW, before the only thing that smelled like bacon was them. Fortunately, they took my advice.
Meanwhile, those 3 bears have now associated humans with food, even more than before. Wouldn't surprise me those have been put down by now because those idiots.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 01:18 PM
covfefe

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,190 Posts

It is President Trump's fault.
he had the park re-open.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eskrima For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,382 Times in 512 Posts

How about the idiot who wanted the Bull to stand up for his picture. He walked over and kicked him to make him stand up. The bull killed him, suppose his last thought was OH Please lay back down.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cavsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Prepared

I do not understand some poeople can think that an animal that size is not dangerous.
But I was raised around cattle and know much caution. A buffalo is bigger and a wild animal.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockuser For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:40 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
AAAAWWWW WHY?????????????????

YOu realize you would have had about a billion youtube hits on the video and made a fortune.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 12,469 Times in 4,082 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	18B7327D-B58F-4087-B03B-253D7DF073B9.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	304122

My brotherís pet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F9F74AF-8999-458F-8C53-3964558696C4.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	304124  
The Following User Says Thank You to Buffy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 34,831 Times in 9,920 Posts

Stupid idiot. I knew at the age of 8 without anyone telling me, not to try to pet any of those animals in those parks. As the old saying goes. Common sense isn't so common anymore.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 05:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,806 Times in 1,282 Posts

Quote:
Attachment 304122

My brotherís pet.
Off topic I know, but that is one beautiful wrap around porch. I've always dreamed of something like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 9,146 Times in 3,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockuser View Post
I do not understand some poeople can think that an animal that size is not dangerous.
But I was raised around cattle and know much caution. A buffalo is bigger and a wild animal.
Had a buddy who won a bison in a contest or something. Couldn't keep the damn thing contained on his ranch. Kept going through the fences and letting all the other cattle out. Got tired of his neighbors telling him to come get his bison and finally just got rid of him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 08:43 PM
Born 120 years too late.

LAST TIME I was in AK I was at a gas station just south of Fairbanks.
It is late May so things are pretty calm. Anyway, there is a cow moose with a calf grazing in a lot next to the gas station. The calf is about 10 feet from mom as they are ignoring the tourists.

This family, lady, little boy and dad, I guess, pull in and dad heads for the restroom. You can tell from their attire, they are NOT from there. Anyway, the mom tells her little boy to go stand by the calf so she can get a picture. WTF!!!!
I am standing about 10 feet away and said "You really hate that kid don't you?" She looks at me like I should be struck down
"WHAT did you say?"
I said you must really hate your kid.
Why would you say that?
WEll, you told him to go stand by the calf over there and once he gets within 20 feet one of two things will happen.
1- they will leave quickly
or
2- the cow will immediately attack and kill your kid. But you should get some great pictures to put on the mantle.

She starts screaming at me some gibberish about uncouth and rude and things I cannot report here, just about then the husband comes back and sees the storm, asks what is wrong and she tells him,
He looks at me, (I may be older, but I do not look like an easy target) looks at her, tells her to get in the car and leaves.

I should have let the kid go. Once the attack started she might have gone to his aid and it would have been a twofer, and I would have had the great pics.

PS

In my younger days running the Canadian bush I was fishing a beaver dam waaayyyy back in and got between a cow and a calf strictly by accident. They didn't have the wind and they just popped out of the bush at the dam. The calf was on one side and the cow on the other and I was minding my own business right between them. She did not care it wasn't my fault. I was days picking pine tree bark and slivers out of my hide as I went up the nearest dead pine tree next to the dam.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post: