*** Ladies Section *** The New Normal - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 05-15-2020, 03:29 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,575 Times in 2,093 Posts

Advertise Here

First, the old normal... Hubs commutes to work every day, I take care of everything else at home. Once a month we drive 200+ miles to visit his darling elderly mother. If hubs has to work out of state, I go with him to find him an apartment and set it up, while hired folks watch the house. Then I fly home until it's time to help him move again.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

(Who really paid any attention to those stupid shampoo instructions? My hair NEVER needed to be washed twice!)

The NEW normal is a work in progress, but it involves a lot less driving and flying.

Hubs works from home, his employer is happy to see increased productivity from all their home-based employees. He may never have to commute to work regularly again.

I want chickens, and with looming meat shortages hubs isn't going to argue. So I'm setting up a hatchery because I want chickens that impress on me as their mom. They're easier to handle... although I don't know how I'll be able to slaughter roosters who think I'm "Mom"...

😞

... I also want peacocks. Pretty sure that's not 100% legal in the city, but the enforcers are on lockdown anyway, and I can probably bribe my neighbors to put up with the noise with fresh eggs.

Fixing up the house because his mom is coming to live with us (I hope). She's over 100, and although she's perfectly capable mentally, she's getting severely depressed because the brother who is supposed to be looking out for her is instead isolating her and abusing her both verbally and financially.

She's in a nice condo now but she can't have pets or even feed the squirrels... and she's a white witch who desperately needs her connection to animals wild and domestic in order to keep her sanity.

Well, we don't have much that's slick and fancy here... But we do have cats, birds, plenty of hungry squirrels, goats, and soon chickens and maybe even peacocks.

That ought to keep her happy!

Also I found some lace curtains with angels on them for her bedroom, and a gorgeous quilt just for her. I'm enjoying thinking of ways to make our house more welcoming for her.

What's in store for your new normal?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,447 Times in 5,448 Posts

Well, I bought McDonalds for the first time in 2 months time. My county only had 6 new cases yesterday and so I felt relatively safe.

DH was sent home with paperwork and on-line work, and he might not hit the office again until after he retires on June 15th

My garden this year will be a good one: with all of the scuttlebut I hear about illness in processing plants it seemed wise.

And, the USA is going to import beef from Namibia while home-produced meat is thrown into landfills, which I do NOT care for. So, once we have our freezer eaten down I will be going online and buying meat from a farmer. It will likely be more expensive, but I do not know how healthy those Namibian caws are (the processing plant itself will be inspected and safe), and so I have zero desire to eat Namibian beef. I have heard that if you shop at a state-inspected processing facility that you will be buying local beef but farmers who sell on-line will advertise and I have no idea how to find a state-inspected processing plant

So far, that looks to be the new normal for us: DH home and a good garden and buying beef from a farmer

https://usabeef.org/producers-info/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 06:48 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,514 Times in 985 Posts

Things really haven't changed a whole lot for us other than we miss going to church and the local resale shop. We just don't go out a lot anytime and the main places we do go are still open, WM, CVS, DG, etc.

There have only been 2 cases in our county and they were not caught here and both are over it and back out in the world.

We did decide to go ahead an try a garden this year with the way food prices are going up. We've got over 60 plants of various kinds of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers, plus a long row of onions.

We also bought up several pork roasts and loins just when this was all starting and before prices went totally out of hand and go them canned. Stocked up on some more of various kinds of canned goods so I guess we're about as good to go as we can be.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,111 Posts

Slaughterhouse is backed up until October and we have 3 hogs that need processed so it’s more feed than we were expecting to buy. The farmer is also holding a cow for us to purchase for slaughter at the same time, no price difference as he will be getting some of our pork so it will even out.

Garden is bigger, so is our neighbors that we trade with so food isn’t an issue. We had a weekend trip planned that got pushed back for medical reasons (high risk pregnancy), new/bigger dehydrator.

That’s about it. Our county had had 16 cases but all were little to no symptoms, 3 are all that’s left on quarantine and they should finish next week sometime. We haven’t been afraid to go out anywhere but a few of my stores have been closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to catlady12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,276 Times in 13,838 Posts

The biggest changes for us is my business is dead and hubby is here full time. I like my routines, when it's "off" so am I. We've stopped running a schedule. You sleep when you are tired and get up when you are rested. I cook a meal every other day, in between, you eat when you want and what you want. When we are up, we are working around the house or outside. The garden is in and I have a 2 new (empty) flower beds. Spring cleaning was super thorough this year and I finally got 2 cabinets that were way too high over the washer and dryer moved down to the floor where they can actually be used. Even when I am the only one up at 3am, I am working. I finished 20 masks last night and I am about to go back to work on a quilt top I gave up on a few years ago.
We only have one car and once a week I used to get it for a day. I would do pick up and deliveries for customers, the shopping, any other errands and usually end by having a coffee at a sidewalk cafe while people watching.
I haven't done that since the first of Feb. I'm high-risk so hubby goes out when it can no longer be avoided. Long drives on country roads with music blasting has taken the place of people watching.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 04:51 PM
White Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
The biggest changes for us is my business is dead and hubby is here full time. I like my routines, when it's "off" so am I. We've stopped running a schedule. You sleep when you are tired and get up when you are rested. I cook a meal every other day, in between, you eat when you want and what you want. When we are up, we are working around the house or outside. The garden is in and I have a 2 new (empty) flower beds. Spring cleaning was super thorough this year and I finally got 2 cabinets that were way too high over the washer and dryer moved down to the floor where they can actually be used. Even when I am the only one up at 3am, I am working. I finished 20 masks last night and I am about to go back to work on a quilt top I gave up on a few years ago.
We only have one car and once a week I used to get it for a day. I would do pick up and deliveries for customers, the shopping, any other errands and usually end by having a coffee at a sidewalk cafe while people watching.
I haven't done that since the first of Feb. I'm high-risk so hubby goes out when it can no longer be avoided. Long drives on country roads with music blasting has taken the place of people watching.
What is your business, Jojo?

What are you planning to put into the flower garden?

What style of masks are you making?

And how long does it take you to finish a quilt top?
The Following User Says Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,276 Times in 13,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paravani View Post
What is your business, Jojo?
I made soft home furnishings (drapes, pillows, tablecloths, cushions, ect) and did small upholstery jobs. I also do Native American beadwork, mostly on the loom which I would normally be selling at pow-wows this time of year.

Quote:
What are you planning to put into the flower garden?
One in the front yard is for a butterfly garden. One in the back was built to show off my BD present pictured below. It will showcase black, deep red and purple plants.

Quote:
What style of masks are you making?
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...8#post20304568 post #5
Quote:
And how long does it take you to finish a quilt top?
SIXTEEN years and counting LOL. Although I have sewn daily for most of my life, I am not a quilter. Tiny pieces drive me nuts. I did work in a fabric store for a few years and as part of my job, I was supposed to make a quilt. I got a little more than 1/2 before I was offered a better job. I worked on it again bugged in for 9 days during a blizzard in '07. I have to move the box all the supplies for it are in nearly every time I get into my sewing closet. I decided to give it another try. Not promising anything, but if I ever do finish it you can bet I will be posting pics!!
Old 05-21-2020, 10:46 PM
White Hat

Well, my new normal is going to include chickens... Lots and lots and LOTS of chickens!!!

I have shared on other threads how difficult it has been to get incubators and egg turners delivered. At this point I think I've ordered enough egg turners to rotate nine dozen eggs...

But none of them have arrived yet. And my first order of hatching eggs is on its way to me...

Not to fear! I FOUND AN EGG TURNER at the farm co-op store ten miles away. (There are farm stores in town, but the one out in the farmlands has better prices.)

So now I can start incubating my first three dozen eggs. I'll start with some huge Coronation Sussex eggs... And next week the Ameraucana and French Salmon Faverolles will arrive. So that will be nearly three dozen.

Mind you, I live in the city limits. I will have to apply for a permit to keep all these chickens once the bureaucracy opens up again.

So three dozen eggs, if they all hatched, would become 18 hens and 18 roosters. But I live in a very diverse part of town, and I bet you that the Chinese, Mexicans, and Africans will have NO problem with buying my live roosters to become very fresh Sunday chicken dinner.

We can hope, anyway.

But... Wow, I'm still going to have a LOT of chickens!

I suppose if things go south, I could sell them off of Craiglist to folks who can't find fresh chicken anywhere else. Or who want their own laying hens...

How many of my friends here raise chickens?

Can you tell me... How many is TOO MANY?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 PM
Wasteland Wanderer

We are about two years out from being able to acquire a homestead. Our income took a little hit (Spouse had a paycut) and our investments lost all gains, but we are doing better than so many.

We've got a small garden on the balcony but it's hard to get materials for it. Good practice I guess, making due with second and third choices? We are also getting better at cooking from staples. I'm breaking my junk food habit because I don't want to go shopping more than usual.

I've been working (outside of the home) more than I did before, but I am also spending some time with fiber crafts and reading a lot more. All this really helped us realize that our homestead is the right path for us. It's a good motivation to keep moving forward.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,311 Posts

I had yesterday off from work and went to the mall to do walking since it was open. It was surreal. There were not many people there. 99% of people were wearing masks, including me since I work with someone at high risk. Only a few stores were open. I stopped and looked in a Macy's. I haven't been to Macy's since around Christmastime. Didn't buy anything, but it was good to get out and go somewhere that wasn't a grocery store.

Still have a job as I work in the grocery industry, even if it is 95% at home. Found out today there are 4 Covid cases near me that we were not told about, so now I am concerned. Not in my building but one down the road.