Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1015 Yesterday 03:39 PM
RK Gun Show. Wichita, Kansas 7-15,16,2017 silversam1 Kansas 0 07-15-2017 03:56 AM
Five Overrated Survival Gear Items AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-18-2017 03:00 PM
Retrosurvival, older British Survival Show Series Threeleggeddog05 General Discussion 7 10-18-2016 12:55 PM

Old 02-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,568 Posts

Advertise Here

I have one of the primal gear unlimited folding bows (50#), (also I have a used Oneida) went shooting last friday (first time with both, and first time shooting at all in 5-6 yrs, and since 1993 for any real shooting)

I was shocked at how "good" I was with the PGU vs the Oneida. The Oneida was just not set up right yet, it will be nice in time I'm sure. The PGU bow was simply on target far better, and I like the instinctive shooting over sight pins.

Only bad thing to say about the PGU was the felt rest started to peel off and tore a feather off an arrow. Otherwise I am impressed with that folding bow...I'm sure a take down recurve would be "better" shooting wise (comfort, etc) But as crude and soulless as the PGU looks, it shoots well.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Belnik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 11:10 AM

I did my take-down arrows. I made them myself from some 2213 arrows I had lying around. I cut them in the center, added 2 threaded ferrules then secured an all-thread in one end the other screws onto. I used some old bottles as fetching protecters, you simply twist the fetching in and out of the bottle, works great!

I still need to find a small soft case, maybe something similar to goblins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200415_114954_1586966242360.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	301820  
Old 04-15-2020, 08:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,157 Times in 3,020 Posts

I have 2 Ben Pearson Signature take-down bows. Both are 58" and 45#s. I bought a bowfishing rig for one but intended to buy 5 dozen arrows, which I never got around to. I have a dozen or so arrows, but I was looking to stock a lifetime supply.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:11 PM
living in the desert

My step back into bows. A 70's vintage Ben Pearson recurve.
Hoping my arm strength comes back, shoulder nerve injury.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20191228_171334.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	301858   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191228_171157.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	301860   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191228_171149 (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	301862  
Old 04-15-2020, 09:31 PM

Observer, the BP sig takedown is a great bow, I have 2 also. You can see one in the picture I posted in the first post of this thread. My other is a near mint one with original case.

3J, great looking bow, thanks for sharing! 50 lbs is kinda high poundage considering your shoulder injury, I highly suggest going lighter poundage. Look into the USA Archery NTS system, it is designed to prevent shoulder injuries and can be applied to all styles of shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxoph For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 09:57 PM
living in the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxoph View Post
Observer, the BP sig takedown is a great bow, I have 2 also. You can see one in the picture I posted in the first post of this thread. My other is a near mint one with original case.

3J, great looking bow, thanks for sharing! 50 lbs is kinda high poundage considering your shoulder injury, I highly suggest going lighter poundage. Look into the USA Archery NTS system, it is designed to prevent shoulder injuries and can be applied to all styles of shooting.
I know it is a high poundage but it was a cheap local find.
I'm always on the lookout for a nice target recurve bow 20ish lbs.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Truth Seeker

Nice bows guys!
Old 05-05-2020, 11:35 PM
living in the desert

Picked up this compound
A PSE Compound. Looks like a mid 90's model.

Hopefully the let-off will help with my shoulder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PSE SR-1000 Infinity Graphite.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	303224  
Old 05-06-2020, 02:36 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,394 Times in 3,963 Posts

I have a bow that might be of interest here as a survival bow. Last fall I bought a new entry level crossbow for hog and rabbit hunting from an Ebay seller. Crossbows can be really expensive machines these days but evil China is still making more basic versions for around $100. The bow isn't the only cost involved in getting set up to crossbow hunt so keeping the cost down was important for me. Especially with limited opportunities to hunt public land in my area. The one I bought has a skeletonized stock and a draw weight of 180 lbs. They sell the 150 lb version at Walmart in black. It's a recurve so there's no let off as you draw it. I decided to go recurve because the simplicity of it's design should last longer than a compound style at this price range. With good technique I can draw it back without a string cocker rope. It's shoots a 400 grain bolt / broadhead at about 230 ft per second. I've only had it hunting twice so far and never shot anything other than foam targets so far but I like it a lot the way it's set up and it's very accurate with good penetration.

I don't see well up close so I removed the adjustable iron sights that it came with, threw away the plastic scope that it came with and mounted a pellet gun red dot on it that was collecting dust in a box. The cheapo red dot always had issues holding zero so I disassembled it and added small coil springs to the adjustment screws to tension the adjustments and take out the slop. That worked really well and the red dot holds zero and can be knocked around a little without loosing zero. Red dots take out parallax errors so it's a good choice for hunting where you might be taking quick shots. This crossbow shoots +/- 1" out to 16 yds and then the drop is about 3.5" at 20 yds and another 3.5" of drop at 25 yds.

I added a single point sling and I like that. I bought inexpensive 20" carbon fiber bolts and two sets of different clone broad-heads from Ebay and a spare bowstring. The broad-heads spin tested fine and shoot straight. I used tiny O-rings between the broad-head and the bolt shaft to tune the index of the broad-head to the plastic vanes. I built my own stringing cable because I was a fool and didn't buy one when I purchased the bow. You will not get this crossbow strung without a stringing cable. The limbs are too stiff. I think the 180 lb version of this crossbow is overkill for small game and the 150 lb version of it would probably be better for small game. So far the crossbow, it's trigger, and safety is holding up fine and I think it will shoot well for a long time. I'm glad that I took a chance with this purchase.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 07:37 PM
living in the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Jfamily View Post
Picked up this compound
A PSE Compound. Looks like a mid 90's model.

Hopefully the let-off will help with my shoulder.
Poundage was too much. Sold it.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:00 PM
living in the desert

So since I sold off the compound..just too much poundage for my shoulder right now. I picked up a fiberglass Ben Pearson Jet Bow 333 for cheap money. Looks to be 63-64 year vintage according to the logo. Feels like it is about a 20# bow. Be a nice backyard shooter and rehab bow for my shoulder/elbow. Now just got to find some wood arrows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0518201944_resized (1).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	303932   Click image for larger version

Name:	0518201945_resized (1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	303934  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:35 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,394 Times in 3,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Jfamily View Post
So since I sold off the compound..just too much poundage for my shoulder right now. I picked up a fiberglass Ben Pearson Jet Bow 333 for cheap money. Looks to be 63-64 year vintage according to the logo. Feels like it is about a 20# bow. Be a nice backyard shooter and rehab bow for my shoulder/elbow. Now just got to find some wood arrows.

You're in luck. Any arrow will work just fine in that bow.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:41 PM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 20,530 Times in 6,879 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Just found this locally for a song and a dance. I added a few things and she is a very quiet tack driver. Definitely going to fill my freezer this fall.