Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 piece rods fly rods vs. "pack rods"? zuren Boating and Fishing 16 03-11-2018 01:40 AM
Divers Down Solo2703 Books, Movies & Stories 142 10-26-2017 12:13 PM
4 piece rods fly rods vs. "pack rods"? zuren Boating and Fishing 1 05-30-2017 05:18 PM
The skein of your life was woven long ago. Chapter 1 MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 231 04-14-2017 01:04 PM
Coolest new product in our store in years: Carbon Fiber Bow/Arrow/Walking Stick kit JC Refuge Safecastle 3 10-24-2016 01:56 PM

Old 02-07-2019, 12:39 AM

Default Fly fishing with a long carbon fiber rod

Advertise Here

I just learned about Tenkara fly fishing. From what I've read, it offers inexperienced folk a fairly easy learning curve and requires a minimum of lightweight gear. I've been looking at the Hane rod at www.tenkarausa.com, but I'm considering an alternative.

I have a 30' telescoping carbon fiber rod that I use as a mast for my ham radio antenna. If possible, I'd like to also use it for it's original purpose as a fishing rod, although I think its length would present challenges when bait fishing a small stream. But I can pull out a few sections to make a pole that's around 10' long, which is around the length of the Tenkara rods that I've seen.

Is it likely that I can get away with using a portion of my 30' rod for fly fishing, or will I likely have to buy a second, dedicated fly fishing rod?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,787 Times in 20,720 Posts

Sounds like a bad idea for several reasons.

Carbon fiber conducts electricity, so if you hit an overhead power line while fishing, you will experience a negative result.

30 ft is waaay to long for a fly fishing pole. And if it is stout enough to hold an antenna up 30 ft, it is way too stiff to fly fish with in the conventional way. 30 ft is like a sailboat mast. I think I have seen the videos of people using that crazy long fishing pole before. Seems foolish to me, but whatever.

I have no idea how a collapsible 30 ft pole can serve as an antenna mast. And having an electrically conductive mast is a lightning hazard.

That thing you listed is over $100!

A fly rod , reel and line kit can be had from Walmart for what, 30 bucks?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zebco-Sal...7e&athena=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crystal-R...d8&athena=true
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Sounds like a bad idea for several reasons.

Carbon fiber conducts electricity, so if you hit an overhead power line while fishing, you will experience a negative result.
I wouldn't be fishing anywhere near power lines.

Quote:
30 ft is waaay to long for a fly fishing pole.
Like I said in my original post, I wouldn't use the full 30 ft for fly fishing. I can use a few of the thinnest sections to get a much shorter pole.

Quote:
And if it is stout enough to hold an antenna up 30 ft, it is way too stiff to fly fish with in the conventional way.
Okay, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I suspected it might be too stiff, but I'd like to know if this makes it impossible or just not ideal for fly fishing.

Quote:
I have no idea how a collapsible 30 ft pole can serve as an antenna mast. And having an electrically conductive mast is a lightning hazard.
It works great as a mast for a portable, inverted V dipole. There are two long wires that are the radiating elements and an additional guy line that stake down in a triangle around the pole. The wire antenna is enough of a lightning hazard in itself, but it will only be set up when I want to use the radio, and it can be easily taken down in advance of bad weather. Good thinking from all angles, though.

Quote:
A fly rod , reel and line kit can be had from Walmart for what, 30 bucks?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zebco-Sal...7e&athena=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crystal-R...d8&athena=true
Thanks for that info. I wish they had included weight in the specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't be fishing anywhere near power lines.

Like I said in my original post, I wouldn't use the full 30 ft for fly fishing. I can use a few of the thinnest sections to get a much shorter pole.

Okay, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I suspected it might be too stiff, but I'd like to know if this makes it impossible or just not ideal for fly fishing.

It works great as a mast for a portable, inverted V dipole. There are two long wires that are the radiating elements and an additional guy line that stake down in a triangle around the pole. The wire antenna is enough of a lightning hazard in itself, but it will only be set up when I want to use the radio, and it can be easily taken down in advance of bad weather. Good thinking from all angles, though.

Thanks for that info. I wish they had included weight in the specs.
I bought a couple pflueger fly rod kits from Walmart about 15 yrs ago. They are pretty lightweight. Maybe 1 lb?

The rod needs to be very flexible to properly flip that little fly back and forth.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,914 Times in 2,836 Posts

Looking at your link, The only pro vs. con is that it is telescopic. You can find good old fly rods at 2nd hand and flea markets for less that $25. And most come with a reel. But they won't stick in your pocket.

I still have a couple martin reels from 1980, even though the rods have been broken from mistreatment. Yep, I picked up a couple rods last summer for almost nothing. They too have reels on them. Just had to clean the dust off.

All the pictures you see of fly fishermen are standing out in a big stream whipping that line around. Reality is different. Most streams I have fished have so much overhead limbs, saw grass, quake grass, and brush, its almost like using a cane pole. No way to get that sailing whip action going. Its using stealth & stalking maneuvers to get in close to that hole.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,671 Times in 9,017 Posts

I have a really nice custom made fishing pole. 4 sections and the handle reverses to make it a fly pole. About 8' long. I both spin cast and fly fish on occasion. Lot harder to work a fly even with a correct pole and line. By the way you are casting the line, the fly is just along for the ride.

Your rod could work but I doubt it will work any better than if you strung it with the wire and used it as a bow to shoot the fish.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,677 Times in 4,814 Posts

My opinion is to go shorter than 10' if you're using a fly rod to drop live bait into a stream. My go-to trout fishing bait is half of a nighcrawler on a size 6 hook. I use a 9' fly rod that breaks in half to navigate into position and then put it together. Otherwise the assembled pole snags on every bush, weed and stick on the way in. With the small streams I fish in southeast MN and western WI it is hard to get enough room to really fly cast. On top of that, the water is small and very clear so the trout spook easily.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Trapper

I fish with one. I use a 15 foot pole (bream buster) and fishing braid that I coat with wax ( run the line around some wax and pull). I then tie a leader of thin fishing line to it and then the fly. I have caught some nice pan fish this way and a bass. You need the reach to build up the force to throw the line. This is great for catching small bait fish for catfishing also.

great video
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM

My fly rods are around 7 ft, but they work fine.
Provided you know how to fly fish and use the right lines. As was said above, the fly is just going along with the line. You do need some room behind you, so you might have to wade to get that room.

Or if the streambanks are really overgrown, just flipping the fly a short distance works also for most fish.

Backer line, then floating fly line, then fly leader.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,087 Times in 534 Posts

I've got the very rod your looking at, I like it and it's easier that a regular fly rod since the branches are low around the creeks. I don't use it like a fly rod, I just basically use it to dip my bait over in the pools. To bring in the fish I will pinch the line as far as I can reach up the rod and start pulling.
Spin rods can't cast a hook and meal worm far enough without some weights and the bamboo poles dry out and break the tips every year.
I like the idea of the rod and it is packable- easy to carry
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Prepared

Tenkara is a different form of fly fishing. The japanese created it because it is minimalist and simple to do. You only have a long pole, a couple of lines and a few basic flies to use. In Japan, it is mostly used in small streams for small fish. The Japanese like to do things simply but do them extremely well and so they have perfected the art. Leave it to us "westerners" to blow it out of proportion and commercialize it into a big production, 17 different kinds of rods made from space age materials that can get into the hundreds of dollars apiece. Not me, my friend!

I took the Idea and "red necked" it and cheapened it.

I got a 9 foot Shakespeare fly rod from Walmart when they had them. You could get any long fly rod from E-bay that is real cheap. I removed all of the guides except the tip. Tied a 6" piece of nylon cord around the rod at the tip and fed it through the guide. Tied a stopper knot in the end of the cord. That is what they call the "lillian". I use 20 feet of braided ice fishing line, 30 pound, as my main line and just simply tie a 4 foot piece of 4 pound mono or fluorocarbon to the end of that as a leader. Attach whatever fly you want and go fishing. It works great for small streams and small ponds too and I have caught trout, panfish, and bass on this setup. You just need to learn how to cast it and you're all set. I'ts lots of fun and the whole thing cost me about 20 bucks. A very simple set up and you can modify or change it in lots of ways. Just treat it like a 2 pc fly rod or find one that will break down farther and will be more convenient to travel. Put it in your backpack too.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Yankee For This Useful Post: