Survivalist Forum banner

Kayaks, what to look for in used ones

4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Truck Vet 
#1 ·
My wife wants to get a kayak for this summer. What are some things to look for and to avoid if I get a used one?

#3 ·
Being a Kayaker for over 20 years who has fished the ocean out of sight of land, I have to agree with a lot of what was said above. Some great deals can be found new but you got to be sure it wasnt stored in the sun for excessive periods of time as it does harm the plastic and make it more brittle. Stick with Rotomolded Yaks vs the two piece ones like the Pelican Brand uses. These are very prone to leaking dont have a good hull design and paddle more like a barge. Unless you are proficient at the self rescue technique get a SOT not a SIK style yak (unless shooting rapids is on the agenda of adventures)! I would most highly recommend that you go to a Kayak Shop thats does demos and try a few on for size. Keep in mind the capacity they list is more like what it takes to sink it not safely navigate water ways in! I generally subtract at least 100 lbs from the listed weight capacity if not 150 lbs. Do splurge on a Carbon Fiber paddle, its well worth its weight in gold!!! Do get a comfy high back seat preferably with a gel seat your back and blood flow to your extremities will greatly appreciate it after about 30 minutes in the "saddle". If you want to keep it leash it or you will contribute to the OGAREP (On Going Artifical Reef Enhancement Program as I like to refer to it as...lets not ask how I know!). I am sure there are gazillion other things I could mention but this ought to give you some food for thought! Decent yaks start at about 600 new and your looking at another 500 or there abouts in needed accessories before you even think about getting on the water!

#4 ·
LunaticFringeInc pretty much covered it. The only thing I would add is to look at the bow area and look for any beaching damage. A kayaker who treats the bow rough, more than likely treated the rest of the kayak rough.

With prices (low) being what they are now, it’s not worth spending a premium on an abused piece of equipment.

Personally I’d just go with new, unless you can find a screaming deal on used.

#8 ·
Physically, look for any cracks and patches. People often get cracks in the stern around the bracket where the rudder is at. You'll be able to tell if they patched it. Also, look the entire thing over for any plastic that is obviously not the same color. A person that knows how to patch properly, can make it almost indistinguishable (except for the color). Look around the carry handles for cracks and/or see if the rivets are pulling through. Same for anywhere else, especially if they have an anchor trolley. Also, check the bow. You'll often seen gouges in the plastic and this is very common. However, make sure it's not too bad. You'll only see questionable ones around where there are a lot of oyster beds and/or reefs. Check all compartment seals and make sure they are there. Check the rivets that hold the seat down (just check all rivets). Also, check the seat and make sure it's fastens securely.

FYI, just because a kayak has been patched, doesn't make it a bad kayak. Just be aware so that you can barter for a better deal. Any kayak that has had a patch, is immediately 30-40% cheaper. And personally, if they had to patch cracks around the rudder, I would pass on it.

What Type?

Rivers/Streams/Small or calm lakes - You can get one that is flatter on bottom. I have one that works great on the river near me. I can skim over fallen logs in shallow areas. Plus, it's flat, so I can easily go up current. Also, these kayaks can be shorter 10-12ft in length without an issue.

Larger lakes/rougher water - I recommend a hybrid. At least 12 feet long and wider.

Gulf/Ocean/Large expansion of water: 1. Fishing - Wider/Longer is better and preferably something with pedals (for trolling). 2. Just to kayak - Longer is better (typcally 14'-16'). Helps to cut through chop and designed for longer trips. These tend to be narrower and a bit more "tippy".

You really need to read up on kayaks, but that is the short version.

#11 ·
How does "a kayak for my wife for the summer" turn into these types of discussions?

Seems to me like maybe the OP wants a $200 flat water recreational unit that MIGHT do a mile or two on a lake 4 or 5 times a year, not $200 paddles and a 15 foot sea kayak for handling 8 foot swells, or a serious touring rig for doing 200 mile trips.

Admittedly, we don't KNOW that....but how about we get some info before we start telling him to buy this or that?:confused:

BTW...my "under $200" Pelicans (10' SOT and 12' sit in) are FAR nicer and paddle FAR easier than the rotomolded Lifetime and other cheap stuff in the same price ranges that I have owned and have tried. And they haven't leaked yet.

Yeah, they are cheap, and yeah, you can get FAR "better". But I get around on my local lakes just fine with these, and have lots of money left over.

#14 ·
How does "a kayak for my wife for the summer" turn into these types of discussions?

Seems to me like maybe the OP wants a $200 flat water recreational unit that MIGHT do a mile or two on a lake 4 or 5 times a year, not $200 paddles and a 15 foot sea kayak for handling 8 foot swells, or a serious touring rig for doing 200 mile trips.

Admittedly, we don't KNOW that....but how about we get some info before we start telling him to buy this or that?:confused:

BTW...my "under $200" Pelicans (10' SOT and 12' sit in) are FAR nicer and paddle FAR easier than the rotomolded Lifetime and other cheap stuff in the same price ranges that I have owned and have tried. And they haven't leaked yet.

Yeah, they are cheap, and yeah, you can get FAR "better". But I get around on my local lakes just fine with these, and have lots of money left over.

They may be okay for small lakes 10 acres or less. They absolutely suck on any larger lake with chop. They also aren't nearly as stable. But then again, if you are in a lake that has perfectly still water, you could make a pontoon boat out of plywood and plastic drums... but that doesn't mean you should.

If your Pelicans work for you, that's great, but honestly, they are pieces of **** compared to even a used name brand you can get for 500-600 bucks. To each his own, but to ridicule others for their comments is way out of line. Especially since you are absolutely wrong... there is no comparison. You get what you pay for.

#12 ·
SOT are easier to get in and out of for inexperienced.

I would go new from walmart .... can get one fairly cheap and until you get some water time you dont know what you want to do. You can get a sun dolphin for $150, yes there are better, and you will spend half that renting one. But this way when you find what you want you can sell it, or keep it as a pack mule.

My local craigslist always has used for sale but I have yet to see a value used vs new costs. They tend to be the lower end walmart ones being sold after they upgraded. If you go used prices are about seasonal lows (winter) and will go up when weather is nicer.

some SOT use scupper plugs, some free drain; if it needs the plugs make sure it has them or it will sit 1/2 full of water and you think you have a leak. (you dont) Take a large sponge with you, easily keeps the splash over controlled.

Go to sporting goods store or other and you can put your hands on them it will help with the decision later. My local walmart has 50ish on display, and the sporting goods store has 100.

I like my "barge"

#15 ·
My local craigslist always has used for sale but I have yet to see a value used vs new costs. They tend to be the lower end walmart ones being sold after they upgraded. If you go used prices are about seasonal lows (winter) and will go up when weather is nicer.
This is a good point. Would also like to add, that you'll have a much, much larger variety in/around cities close to the gulf or large body of water. If you're on the middle of Oklahoma, you may have a harder time and less options to consider.

For example: Anyone that knows kayaks, knows that Hobies are insanely proud of their stuff (and price it that way). A standard one, kayak only will start at about $2500 buck. $5000 for a fishing rig is easily done. However, on Houston Craigslist right now, someone is selling a tandem Hobie Mirage (with sail, fins, rudder, etc) for $650. There is also an Ocean Prowler 13 for $450 bucks. A Wilderness Tarpon 120 anger for $600. So they are out there...

Many of the larger outfits like Bass Pro Shop, often have days they let the public paddle around on the various kayaks. If you're not in a rush, that is an option.

#17 ·
Honestly I dont know how much she would use it. However her birthday is coming up this summer and you know the saying, Happy wife, happy life.

She hasn't gone kayaking since she was a teenager, so she might try it again and hate. That's why I want to get a cheap used one for her. If she ends up liking it then we can look at a newer expensive one.

Personally, I spent many many miles canoeing up in Northern MN on the boundary waters. I havent gotten a canoe because I don't want to haul it between different bases every few years.

#21 ·
I have to agree that wilderness systems makes great Kayaks.

Why?

One of the main reasons for me is that most of mine have very adjustable
seats. Not just with a full backrest, but the bottom is adjustable also.

Nothing worse than hearing your wife bitch for 3 hours on the water while
your trying to drink your beer in peace without tipping over.

We bought several Wilderness systems kayaks then splurged on a Hobie
which is just as comfortable but has pedals so we can go farther.

#22 ·
My wife wants to get a kayak for this summer. What are some things to look for and to avoid if I get a used one?

Assumptions are made and most assumptions are wrong. - Albert Einstein

#26 ·
That's true. The problem is...SOME are right. Which one is it right or wrong this time, based on the OP's response below?

She hasn't gone kayaking since she was a teenager, so she might try it again and hate. That's why I want to get a cheap used one for her. If she ends up liking it then we can look at a newer expensive one.
So....does the cheap yak make more sense now? Was your assumption all that and a bag of chips...or just wrong?:cool:

Our personal preference doesn't matter here. He asked a question with very little to go on. We are just here to provide all the info which we can, which was done. I think we covered the basics enough... I really don't see the problem here.
You actually said "Our personal preference doesn't matter here."

But it sure sounded like it did, when MY personal preference didn't meet your expectations, and you called it out as, and I quote directly.... "pieces of ****"...

Thanks for that biased and antagonistic expression of personal preference that "doesn't matter."

Sure would like to see how you handle something that DID matter.:cool:

You like Pelican, I like Ocean, others like Wilderness... there is nothing wrong with that. I just think he deserves to hear the full truth about kayaks.
They vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model and all boils down to what he needs.
Which was my point...you guys were spouting off about stuff with NO idea about "his needs" BTW, the FULL TRUTH includes the cheap stuff. And I NEVER said anything about preferring the cheap stuff over the more expensive stuff. That's just some strange idea you got defensive about.

But he needs to hear about all... not just the single preference from an individual. That is the whole point of him coming on here and asking his question right? Also, his question was just a general question without any details. We're obligated to cover as much as we can in a few short paragraphs. I think we did okay.
We did. Eventually. After I asked about his needs.

But "we" also did a LOT of "you need a jacked up 4 wheel drive capable of 150 mph max speed while carrying 2500 lbs of cargo pulling a 30 foot trailer" kinds of things....when all he wanted was a go cart to run around the yard.

I just tried to bring some reality into the discussion. Sorry that offended you.

#24 ·
Our personal preference doesn't matter here. He asked a question with very little to go on. We are just here to provide all the info which we can, which was done. I think we covered the basics enough... I really don't see the problem here.

You like Pelican, I like Ocean, others like Wilderness... there is nothing wrong with that. I just think he deserves to hear the full truth about kayaks. They vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model and all boils down to what he needs. But he needs to hear about all... not just the single preference from an individual. That is the whole point of him coming on here and asking his question right? Also, his question was just a general question without any details. We're obligated to cover as much as we can in a few short paragraphs. I think we did okay.

#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot
Assumptions are made and most assumptions are wrong. - Albert Einstein

That's true. The problem is...SOME are right. Which one is it right or wrong this time, based on the OP's response below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732
Good try, but his post was after everyone had already commented, including your comment. So sorry, you can't use that as an example.

As far as your preference, I really don't care. But the fact that you said
tells me you were being sarcastic and argumentative. Your comment
Seems to me like maybe the OP wants a $200 flat water recreational unit that MIGHT do a mile or two on a lake 4 or 5 times a year
was based off an assumption, and your comment
BTW...my "under $200" Pelicans (10' SOT and 12' sit in) are FAR nicer and paddle FAR easier
tells me you've not had as much experience as some of the rest of us.

Would you like to continue down this rabbit hole or just drop it an go on to the next thread? It gets tedious having to do this with very specific people on the forums. Just give your opinion or show some facts and move on. It would have been perfectly fine to say "I prefer Pelican and here is why..." but you can't do that.

#29 ·
Most importantly a good kayak should fit like a set of jeans....which means your wife has to be sized for the boat. Here are some considerations height, weight and breast size come into play.
If your wife is short then you need a thinner boat unless you want her bashing her knuckles on the side of the boat.
If she is short and heavy that is a tough balance to strike
Breast size play in to how top heavy she is (seriously).......in cases like this it takes paddling dicipline to correct a boat from tipping over.

Sit on top or enclosed boat? Those both play a factor. Enclosed boats tend to be more for paddling distances.....sit on tops tend to be more recreational.
This also makes a big difference in wind.

Most kayak centers have "demo days" or "introduction to paddling" better to do this than to do what I did which was pay $1000 for a boat and have her use it very little.

That being said I have 2 17' Necky Elahos for sale garage kept since new, paddles, vests, boats, foam blocks for the roof. $2000 takes the pair here in Orlando.

These are great touring boats will fit people up to 200 lbs 6' and people down to 5'6"
HK

#30 ·
We went for enclosed for MY wife to learn and me to get back into it. It seems more stable (less chance of falling off) We got a 17’ folbot two person folding. Stable, suprizingly quick for as wide as it is, can haul two old fat people PLUS gear and can go in the trunk. We enjoyed it so much we got two more since you can shift a rib and set them up as big singles. This then gives 600 lbs per boat for person, camping gear, photo gear, etc. Each was a Craigslist buy ($400-900 each) and has kept us quite happy. Look around, test stuff on the cheap yes, but aim for what you want it to do.

#31 ·
If you need to put your kayak in your Trunk that looks like a great option.
17 foot is a great size that offers both speed and stability when its the right width.

I would guess the main disadvantage would be that unlike plastic Kayaks you wouldn't want to pull your wife up on a rocky shoreline because it would cause damage. But there are good points and bad points to every design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.