Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preppers: Spring Is For Fishing Gear AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-09-2018 10:30 AM
4 piece rods fly rods vs. "pack rods"? zuren Boating and Fishing 16 03-11-2018 12:40 AM
What should be in a survival fishing kit? SurvivalistChick Boating and Fishing 28 02-14-2018 08:57 PM
Fishing participation booms nationwide AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-01-2017 10:00 PM
Fishing and hiking Solk Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 25 06-15-2017 04:49 PM

Old 06-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,915 Times in 2,191 Posts
Default Fly Fishing primer help

Advertise Here

OK I have used bobbers and floated some flys over the years.I have been skunked that way. Well my pop just gave me a couple of his fly poles and a new in the box shakespeare 1837 silent, this thing has had to have been in his desk for 40 plus years supposedly made in 47... I hate to use it, I will probably put it up and get a cheap hand winder until I get that cast thing down.

Anyway I have looked at many online vids, but I was told I need to match the line to the rod, The fly rods are old too I am going to take the gear into the local shop and see what they say. But dont want to walk out cashless and over geared.

Local are stocked trout, and small and large mouth bass, crappie and other pan fish. So do I want a floating line, sinking line, or hybrid?? Ponds and lakes as well as some streams and rivers will be gone to. As I am starting this new I am hoping to get something that will let me do most until I get some time with this set up.

I hope to ge the rig set and practice out in one of the grass parks here before hitting the water.

I will of course have my open face and bait caster close as well.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,592 Times in 9,452 Posts

I've been fly fishing since 1986. Mostly in the Owens valley, and high altitude lakes of the Sierra mtns.

First, let's find out what these old fly rods are made out of. If they are older rods, they may well be made from split bamboo. Bamboo rods require a little maintanence. They can also break, especially when flailed about by a new user.

Your local fly shop may suggest you buy a modern rod to learn with, then decide later if you want to invest $$$ into your bamboo heirloom rods. I have made the same suggestion to a good friend who inherited his fathers bamboo rods. Take a quick look at what these restored bamboo rods are being offered for. https://www.vintageflytackle.com/col...ns/bamboo-rods
These older bamboo rods are worth big money once restored, so treasure your heirloom.

Buy a 8-9', multi piece No 6 graphite rod, with a matching reel and WF6F line and spend your time learning to cast. Buy something with a warranty if possible. I'm not kidding about breaking equipment. https://www.cabelas.com/product/fish....uts?slotId=12
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,673 Times in 4,813 Posts

Interesting to read all the flyfishing advice. I use a fly rod for trout fishing up here but use it a bit differently, tipped with a #6 Garden Hackle (half a nightcrawler).

Cool to see some big browns and rainbows. Most of what we catch up here are 8-12" brookies and planted browns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Well both rods have lots of use, the one rod has been wraped several times assumed it was for cracks and I can get no info on it (covered) so I wont be able to match line to action.

The other is a Shakespeare I pulled this online but dont know line weight to use.
FY-A510 Presidential Gold Cup 7'9" Kwik-Taper 2 C, HCH, 4M 4.5 1967 - 1970

The sportsman rep wanted to buy the reel from me, but was no help figuring out the rod. I declined the sale.

I think to get me in the water I will go with one of the box sets they sell that is pre-rigged and chase the dogs in the back yard practicing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHere View Post
Well both rods have lots of use, the one rod has been wraped several times assumed it was for cracks and I can get no info on it (covered) so I wont be able to match line to action.

The other is a Shakespeare I pulled this online but dont know line weight to use.
FY-A510 Presidential Gold Cup 7'9" Kwik-Taper 2 C, HCH, 4M 4.5 1967 - 1970

The sportsman rep wanted to buy the reel from me, but was no help figuring out the rod. I declined the sale.

I think to get me in the water I will go with one of the box sets they sell that is pre-rigged and chase the dogs in the back yard practicing.
Here is some info on your fiberglass rod. http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.c...ision=14498130

Looks like the HCH line designation is equivelent to a WF7F floating line, and a WF8S sinking line. The presidential gold cup was a very nice fiberglass rod. The action is slower than an equivelent graphite rod, but still very nice. So if you want to go ahead and try it, consider fishing just dry flys with your fiberglass.

I just gifted an older 7.5' fiberglass rod, with a new WF7F floating line for dry flys, to my great nephew.
I advised him to pair it with a modern 9' graphite streamer rod, set up with a full sinking line.
The greater length and stiffer action of graphite makes it better suited to pulling nymphs and streamers from underwater.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

First off I am going to blame the wind.....

It is defiantly not as easy as it looks on videos. There were several others fishing the area that day as well, so I think I am going to find a quiet hole and practice there even though it has a lower probability of catching something.

Here is a pic of the one that got away.

This big
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

All fly casters hate the wind.

The very attributes that make a fiberglass rod a joy for casting small dry flys, make it even more suseptable to the wind than a high modulous graphite rod. Just to explain, a fiberglass rod has a lower modulous, and it bends evenly along its length. This typically produces a larger loop in the fly line when casting. A larger loop makes it easy to turn over a long leader and land a dry fly delicately (called presenting the fly). But the larger loop, and slower forward velocity, makes it more suserptable to the wind.

Here is my fly rods collection and usage:

Cabela's Stowaway 7.5' 5 pc No 4 Fly, Cahill, WF4F. Shorter rod suited for small streams. Nice high altitude pack rod.

Fenwick Royale 9' 2 pc No 5 Fly, Cahill, WF5F Trout. Medium action graphite rod, suited for 5wt and 6wt floating lines.
Even after 24 yrs, This is my favorite dry fly rod.

Sage Approach 9' 4 pc No 6 Fly, Cortland. 75, WF6F, WF6F/S Wet. Fast action, suited for dries, nymphs, and streamers.
Will handle wind.

Fenwick HMG 9' 2 pc No 8 Fly, Cortland 95, WF9Bug, WF250g Wet. Fast Action, suited for bass bugs, and big streamers.
Will handle wind
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,502 Times in 1,142 Posts

I’ve got a Fenwick that I like also.

Keep practicing. Before long you’ll be watching beginners thinking “I remember when I used to do that”. It’ll click, then you’ll be off and running.
The Following User Says Thank You to purplehullpeas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 PM

What helped me when I first started was to take lessons. Any fly shop near you should offer this. Also I would over line the rod, this when you put a heavier line on the fly rod. For example if you had a 4wt and put a 5wt line you will notice a difference, especially on the back cast. Also just try to roll cast to get a feel for the rod and line reaction. And don't over think it, its not as difficult as some you tube videos appear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeb Sturat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,946 Times in 6,440 Posts

What they all said.

I bought an Eagle Claw Fiberglas pack rod, you can swap it around for fly or spinning, and I learned on it. Itís great for small water, almost delicate, but I can still cast with it even if Iím into the backing. On the longer carbon rods, the timing and loading are different, and it took some learning again...but they sure make it easier to handle heavier tackle and fish.

For me, it was the wait in the back that took time to learn, I was whipping the the line, instead of throwing it. Once I got used to waiting, things got smoother, and fly fishing was fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post: