Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bass Pro Shops Promotes Youth Fishing AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-14-2018 08:30 PM
Preppers: Spring Is For Fishing Gear AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-09-2018 10:30 AM
Fishing and hiking Solk Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 25 06-15-2017 04:49 PM
Catch-And-Release Spring Bass Action Peaking In Vermont AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-17-2017 01:30 PM
15.2-Pound Largemouth Bass Catch Should Shatter Tennessee State Record AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-22-2017 07:30 PM

Old 05-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Just for fun fishing, largemouth bass.

Advertise Here

I large portion of the time I meat fish for crappie, cats and sand/hybrid bass. I like to have a stocked freezer. I just felt like fishing for large mouth. I reckon they taste as good as any but it has been 35-40 years since I ate black bass so I cannot remember, i was a young un.

I let these guys go this time, one was a keeper for sure, not sure about the other. Caught some other dinks too.

What do y'all think, Keep them and eat em like the rest or chuck them back as they are such a great game fish?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	267730   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	267738  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roundhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 03:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,277 Times in 1,632 Posts

Its a personal choice.They taste just fine breaded up and fried,in fact a lot of fish taste about the same fried up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 06:05 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 62,647 Times in 19,313 Posts

I fried up a couple once and didn't care for them. Tasted like peat moss.
I love every other kind of fish, etc, but the musty taste put me off. maybe it depends on the waterway.
they sure are fun to catch though, so I just throw them back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,362 Posts

I usually cook all my panfish rolled in coarse ground popcorn meal, fried in peanut oil. Bream are my favorite, followed by crappie, bass, and then catfish.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,101 Times in 1,438 Posts

Cut the fillets to fit a corn tortilla. Lightly bread them and pan fry then throw on some shredded cheese a little lettuce and some salsa. They're real good that way. They do have a stronger fish taste than most and this covers it up nicely. I thought it was pretty strange the first time I was told to make them into tacos, but they have turned into a winning meal with my family.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,030 Times in 6,285 Posts

Toss the bass back. Pan fish are great eating but they will never give you a battle like that 5lb+ largemouth. If you are overrun with bass and they are stunted, then it would be advisable to selectively harvest some to "manage" the population. One lake in GA encourages people to release ALL bluegills, keep all crappie and keep all bass 15" and under. Their goal is to create trophy bass. There's a lot of science to pond management but most would agree, eat the pan fish and catfish first before destroying your bass population.

http://www.pondmanagement.org/pond-m...-for-big-bass/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fillzee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,101 Times in 1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillzee View Post
Toss the bass back. Pan fish are great eating but they will never give you a battle like that 5lb+ largemouth. If you are overrun with bass and they are stunted, then it would be advisable to selectively harvest some to "manage" the population. One lake in GA encourages people to release ALL bluegills, keep all crappie and keep all bass 15" and under. Their goal is to create trophy bass. There's a lot of science to pond management but most would agree, eat the pan fish and catfish first before destroying your bass population.

http://www.pondmanagement.org/pond-m...-for-big-bass/
Around here Bass are almost as bad as Pike. Once you get them into a lake they pretty much take it over and decimate panfish populations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 1,903 Times in 695 Posts

IF you're meat fishing keep the legal fish you Will Eat.......if "for fun" then make the choices , I don't have a problem keeping bass, it's legal (when legal size/limits are met) I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it either...
Old 05-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
Cut the fillets to fit a corn tortilla. Lightly bread them and pan fry then throw on some shredded cheese a little lettuce and some salsa. They're real good that way. They do have a stronger fish taste than most and this covers it up nicely. I thought it was pretty strange the first time I was told to make them into tacos, but they have turned into a winning meal with my family.
Change the lettuce out for cabbage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 2,924 Times in 753 Posts

I USED to spend my summers in Ontario and the lake we were on was great for Walleyes.
You want GREAT eating go Walleye,
BUT
for fun
BASS.

I used to go out about 10PM on moon light nights and then plug for bass along the shore line while in a canoe. Running a top water bait... they would hit like a beaver tail slap and the game was on. I have had big ones drag me 100yds down the lake at night before I wore it out.

THEN,
one night something hit it and it wasn't any bass but it took me 1/4 mile down the lake before it started running faster then the drag would allow for and it snapped the 12pd test line like a banjo string. There were some very big pike in the lake and I think that was what took it. A lot of 15-20 pounders came out of that lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 39,515 Times in 9,463 Posts

Typically, any of your regular sought after fish that fit in a 14" skillet are good whether they be fillets or whole

Bass like most species, the larger they are, the worse they taste with the exception of salt water fish but even some of them get nasty

Young bass I'll keep, provided they hit the minimum but the big uns, I'll toss back
Old 05-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,457 Times in 1,687 Posts

Check the water quality before you eat any fish. I'm a die hard river trout fisherman, but sometimes I catch smalleys from the reservoir down the road. They're big and fun, but the res has a mercury problem so I don't eat em. If fish is what's for dinner, then it's a brown or bow.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,216 Times in 496 Posts

If you like baked cod, bake large fillets with lemon and butter. As many have said, water quality affects fish taste as does their feed.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 AM

We don’t have many largemouth where I’m at but lots of smallmouth and white bass and we eat them all the time. I do toss back the smallmouth over 14 inches as I think the smaller ones taste better. But I’m not picky with fish, I keep what is within the law and don’t really care what the “sport fisherman” think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HuntandTrap97 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 06:12 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,192 Times in 4,315 Posts

I generally eat everything I catch. I don't find Largemouth Bass unpleasant in flavor of any size. Indeed, one of my favorites! I've had very large Blue Cats, and Channel Cats. Tasted fine to me. Not muddy, not fishy. I've eaten a 7lb LMBass, and a 12lb LMBass. Both were delicious. I had a 5lb fresh water Drum once. It was actually one of the best fish I've ever eaten.

Perch, and Walleye are favorites of mine. Sauger are some of the best eating fish on the planet!

Carp, and suckers, prepared properly, are VERY good! Just need to learn how to clean them right.

I LOVE "Bream", and Crappie. I just deep fry bream fillets to crunchy, tails and all.

I never get tired of fresh fish.

However, I'm not picky when it comes to fish.

I'll go through the trouble of removing the "tenderloin" from Gar, cut them into nuggets, fry, and eat. YUM!

One of my ALL time FAVORITE foods, are Bluegill/Bream eggs!

Large fish taste a little different than small fish, but not THAT much so.

The key here, is to get them from water, to dinner plate as soon as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post: