Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sea Eagle kayaks come in handy when disaster strikes | Get 15% off + Freebie JC Refuge Safecastle 1 07-27-2018 05:49 PM
Sea Eagle kayaks come in handy when disaster strikes | Get 15% off intro price JC Refuge Safecastle 1 06-04-2018 03:27 PM

Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,252 Posts

Advertise Here

I have to agree that wilderness systems makes great Kayaks.

Why?

One of the main reasons for me is that most of mine have very adjustable
seats. Not just with a full backrest, but the bottom is adjustable also.

Nothing worse than hearing your wife bitch for 3 hours on the water while
your trying to drink your beer in peace without tipping over.

We bought several Wilderness systems kayaks then splurged on a Hobie
which is just as comfortable but has pedals so we can go farther.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,474 Times in 9,710 Posts

Quote:
My wife wants to get a kayak for this summer. What are some things to look for and to avoid if I get a used one?
Quote:
How does "a kayak for my wife for the summer" turn into these types of discussions?

Seems to me like maybe the OP wants a $200 flat water recreational unit that MIGHT do a mile or two on a lake 4 or 5 times a year, not $200 paddles and a 15 foot sea kayak for handling 8 foot swells, or a serious touring rig for doing 200 mile trips.
Assumptions are made and most assumptions are wrong. - Albert Einstein
Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,938 Times in 6,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
Lots of truth to be said about that!

The Pelican type Yaks get the job done and do it for a cheap entry level price, but yeah, you do get what you paid for, make no mistake about it. Thats the Yak I started with(and then quickly upgraded to something better on many levels).
Exactly. I wanted a cheap Yak that was light and got the job done, and the Pelican is EXACTLY what I paid for, and does exactly that. I've used others in the same price range, and they make the Pelican feel like a GREAT yak. Which may say more about them, than about the Pelican....but that doesn't make any difference; if you are only willing to lay out $200, the Pelican is pretty decent.

I COULD get a more expensive one....but the uses I make of the yak wouldn't justify that.

Which was my point....we don't really know what the use will be, and its foolish to spend $600 on boat she won't use more than twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
They are great for just getting out on the water in creeks rivers protected coves and playing around in for an hour or two several times a year. If that's as far as your gonna go with Yaking then yeah you can disregard most of what I posted.
Exactly my point....thanks.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM
LEGAL citizen

Our personal preference doesn't matter here. He asked a question with very little to go on. We are just here to provide all the info which we can, which was done. I think we covered the basics enough... I really don't see the problem here.

You like Pelican, I like Ocean, others like Wilderness... there is nothing wrong with that. I just think he deserves to hear the full truth about kayaks. They vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model and all boils down to what he needs. But he needs to hear about all... not just the single preference from an individual. That is the whole point of him coming on here and asking his question right? Also, his question was just a general question without any details. We're obligated to cover as much as we can in a few short paragraphs. I think we did okay.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,945 Times in 1,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Honestly I dont know how much she would use it.
She hasn't gone kayaking since she was a teenager, so she might try it again and hate.
This right here is THE most important piece of information to consider. Wifey might not like kayaking therefore you should buy the kayak that YOU like! That way when she hates it you can enjoy it.

Kill two birds with one stone, make her happy cause she got a present and you get a new kayak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,938 Times in 6,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
That's true. The problem is...SOME are right. Which one is it right or wrong this time, based on the OP's response below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
She hasn't gone kayaking since she was a teenager, so she might try it again and hate. That's why I want to get a cheap used one for her. If she ends up liking it then we can look at a newer expensive one.
So....does the cheap yak make more sense now? Was your assumption all that and a bag of chips...or just wrong?

Quote:
Our personal preference doesn't matter here. He asked a question with very little to go on. We are just here to provide all the info which we can, which was done. I think we covered the basics enough... I really don't see the problem here.
You actually said "Our personal preference doesn't matter here."

But it sure sounded like it did, when MY personal preference didn't meet your expectations, and you called it out as, and I quote directly.... "pieces of ****"...

Thanks for that biased and antagonistic expression of personal preference that "doesn't matter."

Sure would like to see how you handle something that DID matter.

Quote:
You like Pelican, I like Ocean, others like Wilderness... there is nothing wrong with that. I just think he deserves to hear the full truth about kayaks.
They vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model and all boils down to what he needs.
Which was my point...you guys were spouting off about stuff with NO idea about "his needs" BTW, the FULL TRUTH includes the cheap stuff. And I NEVER said anything about preferring the cheap stuff over the more expensive stuff. That's just some strange idea you got defensive about.

Quote:
But he needs to hear about all... not just the single preference from an individual. That is the whole point of him coming on here and asking his question right? Also, his question was just a general question without any details. We're obligated to cover as much as we can in a few short paragraphs. I think we did okay.
We did. Eventually. After I asked about his needs.

But "we" also did a LOT of "you need a jacked up 4 wheel drive capable of 150 mph max speed while carrying 2500 lbs of cargo pulling a 30 foot trailer" kinds of things....when all he wanted was a go cart to run around the yard.

I just tried to bring some reality into the discussion. Sorry that offended you.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 PM
LEGAL citizen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot

That's true. The problem is...SOME are right. Which one is it right or wrong this time, based on the OP's response below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732
She hasn't gone kayaking since she was a teenager, so she might try it again and hate. That's why I want to get a cheap used one for her. If she ends up liking it then we can look at a newer expensive one.
Good try, but his post was after everyone had already commented, including your comment. So sorry, you can't use that as an example.

As far as your preference, I really don't care. But the fact that you said
Quote:
How does "a kayak for my wife for the summer" turn into these types of discussions?
tells me you were being sarcastic and argumentative. Your comment
Quote:
Seems to me like maybe the OP wants a $200 flat water recreational unit that MIGHT do a mile or two on a lake 4 or 5 times a year
was based off an assumption, and your comment
Quote:
BTW...my "under $200" Pelicans (10' SOT and 12' sit in) are FAR nicer and paddle FAR easier
tells me you've not had as much experience as some of the rest of us.

Would you like to continue down this rabbit hole or just drop it an go on to the next thread? It gets tedious having to do this with very specific people on the forums. Just give your opinion or show some facts and move on. It would have been perfectly fine to say "I prefer Pelican and here is why..." but you can't do that.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Let the Debate begin

I have wasted a lot of money by first going with a stable slow kayak, then
going longer and faster. I suggest you get something comfortable, long and fairly fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,367 Times in 427 Posts

Most importantly a good kayak should fit like a set of jeans....which means your wife has to be sized for the boat. Here are some considerations height, weight and breast size come into play.
If your wife is short then you need a thinner boat unless you want her bashing her knuckles on the side of the boat.
If she is short and heavy that is a tough balance to strike
Breast size play in to how top heavy she is (seriously).......in cases like this it takes paddling dicipline to correct a boat from tipping over.

Sit on top or enclosed boat? Those both play a factor. Enclosed boats tend to be more for paddling distances.....sit on tops tend to be more recreational.
This also makes a big difference in wind.

Most kayak centers have "demo days" or "introduction to paddling" better to do this than to do what I did which was pay $1000 for a boat and have her use it very little.

That being said I have 2 17' Necky Elahos for sale garage kept since new, paddles, vests, boats, foam blocks for the roof. $2000 takes the pair here in Orlando.

These are great touring boats will fit people up to 200 lbs 6' and people down to 5'6"
HK
The Following User Says Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 AM

We went for enclosed for MY wife to learn and me to get back into it. It seems more stable (less chance of falling off) We got a 17’ folbot two person folding. Stable, suprizingly quick for as wide as it is, can haul two old fat people PLUS gear and can go in the trunk. We enjoyed it so much we got two more since you can shift a rib and set them up as big singles. This then gives 600 lbs per boat for person, camping gear, photo gear, etc. Each was a Craigslist buy ($400-900 each) and has kept us quite happy. Look around, test stuff on the cheap yes, but aim for what you want it to do.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Let the Debate begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcamguy View Post
We went for enclosed for MY wife to learn and me to get back into it. It seems more stable (less chance of falling off) We got a 17 folbot two person folding. Stable, suprizingly quick for as wide as it is, can haul two old fat people PLUS gear and can go in the trunk. We enjoyed it so much we got two more since you can shift a rib and set them up as big singles. This then gives 600 lbs per boat for person, camping gear, photo gear, etc. Each was a Craigslist buy ($400-900 each) and has kept us quite happy. Look around, test stuff on the cheap yes, but aim for what you want it to do.
If you need to put your kayak in your Trunk that looks like a great option.
17 foot is a great size that offers both speed and stability when its the right width.

I would guess the main disadvantage would be that unlike plastic Kayaks you wouldn't want to pull your wife up on a rocky shoreline because it would cause damage. But there are good points and bad points to every design.