Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three Crappie Fishing Tips AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-17-2018 11:30 AM
Preppers: Spring Is For Fishing Gear AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-09-2018 10:30 AM
What should be in a survival fishing kit? SurvivalistChick Boating and Fishing 28 02-14-2018 08:57 PM
Fishing participation booms nationwide AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-01-2017 10:00 PM
Fishing and hiking Solk Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 25 06-15-2017 04:49 PM

Old 09-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,774 Times in 716 Posts
Default pier fishing suggestions?

Advertise Here

Got in touch with an old friend recently. We both did a lot of fresh water fishing together in the past. I haven't done much fishing in a few years and he wants to get together and do some pier fishing at Oceanview pier here in Virginia. Salt water. I have a medium duty cat fish rig 7', open face 12lb test. Looking for suggestions on line weights and tackle, bait. I'm lost when it comes to salt water fishing. If it were fresh water, I'd be fine. Thanks
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to weaselrunner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Suburban Legend

Thanked 100,515 Times in 15,060 Posts

Bloodworms and bottom rigs are all you need. You can ask the guys in the tackle shop if they're biting on cut bait but the crabs will probably eat most of that anyway.

Check the tide chart so you can be there through the high tide cycle.

https://www.fishingreminder.com/US/c...oads,_Virginia
The Following User Says Thank You to OakRidgeStars For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,046 Times in 715 Posts

Popping cork with live or cut bait under it. Berkley Gulp! is good. There's this nasty stuff called Pro-Cure that attracts fish to artificial baits. Focus on scent.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2018, 02:14 PM
Trapper

We use normal nightcrawlers and shrimp. The best thing we have ever used is the salted squid. Its tough smells and the cost is low, plus it is shelf stable so you don't need to worry about it rotting. Your rod and reel are fine for pier fishing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,857 Times in 3,158 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselrunner View Post
Got in touch with an old friend recently. We both did a lot of fresh water fishing together in the past. I haven't done much fishing in a few years and he wants to get together and do some pier fishing at Oceanview pier here in Virginia. Salt water. I have a medium duty cat fish rig 7', open face 12lb test. Looking for suggestions on line weights and tackle, bait. I'm lost when it comes to salt water fishing. If it were fresh water, I'd be fine. Thanks
I would look at getting a drop net so you can pull your catch back up the pier without snapping your main line, or making an extra long heavy leader (as long as the drop to the water is) so you can lift your catch up.

Spinning and float fishing (you could use a freshwater bass rod for this), bait fishing on the bottom (sometimes dropping it straight down the side of the pier instead of casting far out). In the UK leads ranging between 2-7oz are needed for pier bait fishing.

You could buy fresh prawns and squid from a supermarket for bait.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,147 Times in 5,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Boy View Post
I would look at getting a drop net so you can pull your catch back up the pier without snapping your main line, or making an extra long heavy leader (as long as the drop to the water is) so you can lift your catch up.

Spinning and float fishing (you could use a freshwater bass rod for this), bait fishing on the bottom (sometimes dropping it straight down the side of the pier instead of casting far out). In the UK leads ranging between 2-7oz are needed for pier bait fishing.

You could buy fresh prawns and squid from a supermarket for bait.
Excellent post.

My first pier experience was down in Corpus Christi. Mixed bag, mostly drum caught with crab, bottom fishing. We just added a length of rope To the handle of our net to lower down. You had to get the fish to kinda swim into it which took some patience but we didn't lose any.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,774 Times in 716 Posts

[QUOTE=Yorkshire Boy;19065674]I would look at getting a drop net so you can pull your catch back up the pier without snapping your main line, or making an extra long heavy leader (as long as the drop to the water is) so you can lift your catch up.

He told me he has one already. If I get into it, I'll pick up one for myself.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:11 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 20,742 Times in 7,682 Posts

Weasel would guess you are going for spots in Oceanview this time of the year. Bottom rigs, 1 to 2 ounce sinkers (pyramids if surf of pier fishing / round if on a boat) and a good supply of bloodworms if that’s what you are after. Think you have to have a license as well - may want to check on that.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,576 Times in 2,365 Posts

Just use 100-150lb handlines, double snell hook rig with chicken fillets, a hook either side.

You wrap the lines around the pier railings. Use heavier line and thumb knots if there is a lot of sharp barnacles on the pylons that may cut your line if a fish goes under the pier.

With heavy hand lines you can also lift the fish to the top of the pier without worrying that the line will break. No need for nets or flying gaffs.

I see guys on the piers and jetties getting their lines cut each time a fish swims under them. Then I see guys with rods and light line not able to lift the fish up to them from the water.

Heavy hand lines prevent all that crap. Fish bites, just reef the fish in and skulldrag it up the pier.

Take gloves with you, in case a big fish runs.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,381 Times in 9,673 Posts

If possible, go out a week ahead and chum... go out again two days before and chum a second time. Chum with old shrimp, squid, etc. Put it all in a blender because the point isn't to bring in large fish, but to bring in small bait fish. You bring in the feeder fish, the bigger fish will follow. Chum under the pier as best as possible. a funnel through the cracks of the pier work really well. You can chum in various locations also. If it's a paid pier, you may just have to chum when you get there... it happens.

If you can't castnet for your bait, and for cheap chum material, go to the docks were shrimpers come in. Let them know you want their waste (fish heads, shrimp tails, trash fish, whatever they will give you). Take a small ice chest for them to toss it into. You can also go into the fish markets around there with the same request. Just consider, that asians charge for everything. They eat the entire fish, including using the heads in soup.

You need a saltwater setup... don't use your freshwater gear. At the very least, get you a cheap one at Walmart for $30... should be good enough for some pier fishing. And I would go 30lb test, with 12lb test, you would have to play with drag alot and you're going to have your line break when they dart under the pier. 30lb test will easily catch whatever becomes available from a pier.

If you go at night, take a tarp and wrap it around the side and tie it off (I use large bungies). You'll want it as a wind block. Not only does it block the wind, but it also is a sound deadener for when you and your buddy want to talk, drink a few and just wait for a hit... as well as keep you from losing body heat. The wind is what wears you down on those all night fishing pier ventures. Block it and you'll have a better time.

Call ahead of time and ask management what is being caught most and adjust to response. Despite what most people think, most fish are very edible. Those that say "that's a trash fish", either haven't eaten them or are just naive. If it's regulated, it's edible.

Mandatory Items:
Rod/Reel
Bait
Ice Chest
Beer/Snacks
Long needle nose pliers (or hook remover)
Gloves (not mandatory, but recommended)
Knife
Nail Clippers (for cutting excess line)
Hooks/Lures
TARP! (and some way to tie it off.. bungies are best)
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 10:51 PM

Take a medium/light rod as well. Tie on a sabiki rig, tip it with tiny pieces of cut shrimp or squid. This will do two things, A. enable you to catch bait for your larger rig. B. keep you entertained if there is not much action on the larger rig.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Target Shooter

I pier fish occasionally and the two things people seem to forget are needle-nose plyers and either a towel or gloves to hold any fish with spines. Most people just use a towel to hold the fish.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,750 Times in 635 Posts

Weasel runner, have you tried the pierandsurf.com forum? Lots of excellent advice.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,014 Posts

Local knowlege is best. Talk to the staff at local fishing shop.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,217 Times in 496 Posts

For chum, put it in a plastic container, butter tub up to gallon ice cream bucket, and freeze it. Remove from container and place in large hole mesh bag, like oranges come in. Close bag and lower into water with a cord. Not as much mess or smell to deal with, you can make ahead using your own fish/meat scraps/fish oil, and if you seal several in bags, it will help keep your ice chest cold. You can even attach a hook to the end of the cord in case something tries to eat your chum. Some professional fishermen make hardware cloth containers to put their frozen chum in.