Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vermont Metal Warrior New Member Introduction 18 01-24-2015 06:38 PM
Hello from Vermont mikgoo New Member Introduction 22 12-29-2012 06:46 PM
Greetings from Vermont! shamwowgal New Member Introduction 8 10-08-2012 09:48 PM
Hello From Vermont (Yes Vermont) erothyn New Member Introduction 20 09-17-2012 06:02 PM
Hello from Vermont! ragebkd New Member Introduction 12 04-02-2012 07:05 AM
greetings from vermont skriptzws New Member Introduction 4 03-14-2012 09:08 AM
New from Vermont GreenMountainboy New Member Introduction 13 03-05-2012 12:35 AM
New Guy From Vermont Kevin.The.Cook.69 New Member Introduction 15 10-05-2011 02:29 AM
greetings from Vermont bobblehead New Member Introduction 16 08-16-2011 08:34 AM
Hello from Vermont ! FIRETECH7 New Member Introduction 9 07-05-2010 01:54 AM

Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Appalachian Adventurer

Default New to Vermont

Advertise Here

Hello. I just recently moved to the state and was wondering if anyone here had any advice for a new Green Mountain Man. Good hunting spots, friendly gun ranges/shops, local groups, outdoors teachers in the area, anything. I really appreciate any advice, tips, etc.

Thank you all.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argartis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Thanked 18,858 Times in 6,430 Posts

Welcome to our State.
If you are near Barre/Montpelier area, and want a good range, the Barre Fish And Game Club has a decent 200 Meter set up, with berms every 25 M.
I think it is still only $20 per year for membership.
I hope you enjoy our State.
Don't need any kind of Permit to CCW here, so you can begin enjoying that. Only bad part about that is that since we don't have Permits, we don't get any reciprocity in other states.
Oh, they just allowed Suppressors to be purchased and used legally here too, so that's pretty sweet. Lots of folks already have machineguns, but til' this year there had been a state ban on the use of suppressors, as some Fudds had thought that it might lead to increased poaching.
I don't want to pry, and ask what town you moved too, but if you tell me which county I can ask some friends about where you might find good hunting spots.
I'm in Orange County myself, and the Deer population seems pretty healthy this year in general, though I have not seen many Buck, nor impressive tracks recently. I've always been led to believe the Northeast Kingdom has the best hunting in our state.
I wasn't born here myself, but thankfully we had settled here by the time I was 10, so I fit in well enough. After seeing what other parts of the world had to offer I made up my mind to end up here to stay.
Welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Appalachian Adventurer

I'm in Windsor County, fairly close to the Connecticut River.

From what I've heard the Northeast Kingdom is the best hunting in the state. Haven't seen a whole lot of animal sign where I am so I wanted to put some feelers out until i can get a chance to do some real scouting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argartis For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argartis View Post
I'm in Windsor County, fairly close to the Connecticut River.

From what I've heard the Northeast Kingdom is the best hunting in the state. Haven't seen a whole lot of animal sign where I am so I wanted to put some feelers out until i can get a chance to do some real scouting.
Enjoy the area! I am also in Windsor County. Lots of good fishing spots and a couple good gold panning locations too if you are into that. Go to the NEK for hunting, not much here in the south part of the state. Just a bunch of flatlanders but there is no season for them!!
The Following User Says Thank You to B-Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,954 Times in 2,358 Posts

Welcome, Check out Cheshire County Rod and Gun Club. It is in Keene about 45min south of you. They are the most organized club/range in the area. The club runs regular meets and matches for both pistol and rifle (IPSC and CMP), on their 200-300 yard range.
You can and should consider getting a NH reciprocal pistol carry permit (also good in a few other states) It's easy, just a letter from your local police chief (on your "good standing") that you send to the NH fish and game dept I think. being so close to the river, you will find yourself traveling, shopping, and just being in NH an awful lot and the permit is needed if you carry.
Chester Rod and Gun Club (100yd range) in Chester VT. and Precision Valley Gun Club (200+ yd range) are two others in your area. Good Luck.
Alstead Gunshop, (Alstead NH), J&L Ballistics and Firearms (Springfield, Vt.)

Last edited by rabiddog9; 10-14-2015 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Added Info
The Following User Says Thank You to rabiddog9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 07:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,954 Times in 2,358 Posts

P.S. Don't EVER stray into the communist "commonwealth" of MA south of you while armed. You could be in a world of hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to rabiddog9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,641 Times in 5,802 Posts

Formerly lived in Vermont's NEK, but I'm still there several times a week. Love the state, I now reside on the other side of the river.

Parro's Gun Shop in Waterbury is still my favorite spot in the region. (Cheers to Jungleboy). I get out there as often as I can as they are licensed to sell long guns to New Hampshire citizens.
Home
https://www.facebook.com/Parros-Gun-...3454019707552/

Powderhorn just south of the People's Republic of Burlington is also a pretty great local shop. (Again cheers to Jungleboy) Was in the PRB the other day but sadly did not have time to stop in Williston.
Powderhorn Sports

Caledonia Forest & Stream Club is a sweet private range, still go up there when I can.
Caledonia Forest and Stream Club | St. Johnsbury Vermont | (802) 748-2528
https://www.facebook.com/caledonia.forestandstream

If you're in Windsor County, your near the only public range in VT that I know of called Hammond Cove in Hartland. Rules have recently tightened up so it's a bit less desirable to use but still a destination for many.
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/cms...&pageid=195652
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hammo...62612763799757

I do miss the ease of permit-less Vermont carry, though I take advantage of it when I'm on your guy's side of the river. We had our carry permit law repealed but it got the veto from our tyrannist governor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 PM

Thanked 18,858 Times in 6,430 Posts

Parro's and Powderhorn are still my two favorite shops in the State!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,641 Times in 5,802 Posts

And watch out for the ticks and angry Priuses with Bernie Sanders stickers.