Survivalist Forum banner

Just Bought a Longbow

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Yehudi 
#1 ·
I bought a 60” longbow at the Thrift Store. There are no markings on it. It appears to be hand made, but really great workmanship. I don’t know what kind of wood it is, but it appears to be very straight grained. It tests right at 25lb pull.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Something to remember, with a bow, the weight of the string, ballistically, counts as weight for the projectile during launch. This means every gram your bow string weighs, is another gram of mass your bow has to launch...BUT NOT another gram that hits the target. There is a reason bow strings are made as light as they possibly can be. Especially with such a light bow, you need to eek out every foot per second you can from it.

#11 ·
Good point. Paracord is fairly lightweight. My paracord bow string weighs 11 grams, the same as a commercial bowstring that is only 4” longer from another bow. At 62 inches, that is .177gm/inch. That makes the bowstring about 0.7gm heavier than a commercial bowstring. Shooting 25gm arrows, that comes to a 0.028 difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.