Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish meds to the rescue for tooth infection! elsapo General Discussion 7 02-25-2018 08:52 PM
Scalp mrsa infection Dnadone Health, Fitness and First Aid 10 01-09-2018 06:26 AM
Infection risks? Buck91 Health, Fitness and First Aid 2 07-19-2017 11:02 AM
Antibiotics Improperly Prescribed Trippers General Discussion 54 05-15-2017 10:58 AM
Policeman Looses Leg To Infection Post-Hurricane Matthew AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-28-2016 12:30 PM

Old 03-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Prepared

Default Antibiotic for Staph infection

Advertise Here

My wife has what presents as a staph infection. I have several fish antibiotics, but I'm not sure which might be the best to give her for this type of infection.

I have:
Thyroxine
Amoxicillin
Doxycycline HCI
Tetracycline HCI

My first thought was the Doxycycline ... but I'd appreciate any input from those more knowledgeable.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 08:10 AM
gard'ner

Thanked 1,081 Times in 542 Posts

Used to be... Bleach water was the deal...
With the new antibiotic resistant MRSA out... Thanks to factory farms feeding antibiotics to the animals...
You may need to go to a real doctor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 38,705 Times in 8,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
My wife has what presents as a staph infection. I have several fish antibiotics, but I'm not sure which might be the best to give her for this type of infection.

I have:
Thyroxine
Amoxicillin
Doxycycline HCI
Tetracycline HCI

My first thought was the Doxycycline ... but I'd appreciate any input from those more knowledgeable.
Well, if you and your wife want to gamble over her life to save the cost of an office visit and inexpensive meds... then give her fish antibiotics.

I just recovered from a Staph infection that went nearly lethal sepsis. I'm a very healthy man and I think it nearly killed me. I spent a weekend in bed with the worst fever I ever imagined and that was WITH 3 antibiotics from the doctor.

[Some background - I got this infection over the summer doing some work outside building a shed. I lanced it and expressed it and took some old Doxy I had for about a week. Fast forward ~6 months to last month, and the infection came back. I lanced it again to try to express it.]

On a Thursday I noticed an infection. 12 hours later by Friday morning I could not go to work and was very sick. I went to the doctor and they cultured it (results came a few days later) and got a potent anti-biotic injection, 2 types of pill antibiotics. I spent most of the weekend in bed, probably near death.

On Friday and Saturday, the infection was extremely bad, swollen and painful. I was very worried that it would get into a joint or into the bone where there's risk of amputation. I considered going to the ER but spoke to medical professionals who said since I was improving it wasn't necessary but to monitor it. I had been improving by Sunday and more every day. A week later I had improved but not enough, and the culture showed I needed a different 4th antibiotic.

Do NOT **** around with a staph infection. You need to immediately address it with the correct drugs to kill it or it will live and get very strong and resistant and easily go lethal. If it spreads to bones or joints, you're looking at possible death, amputations, and/or tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills, serious pain and suffering...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 9,462 Times in 3,609 Posts

Quote:

I have:
Thyroxine
Amoxicillin
Doxycycline HCI
Tetracycline HCI

How about a trip to the emergency room?.
Fish antibiotics? Lol.
Unless you want to be single again.....take her to the emergency room

And if you want to be single again.... there is a pretty good thread going on about being single and dating again. Lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 25,616 Times in 9,048 Posts

Don't be cheap. IMO fish pills are for AFTER things hit the fan, not before. NOW you have access to skilled doctors and whole pharmacies full of the correct drugs.

Don't be cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,519 Times in 443 Posts

Head to the ER.

The doxy would have a poor chance to work, and you wouldn't know if it's working or not until it's too late since you don't have the proper testing capability. Almost all staph strains are resistant to Amoxicillin and most tetracycline antibiotics (doxy is in this family). As Kitty said, those are for after SHTF, not while better medical resources are still up and available.

Just get her to an ER.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Praestes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,531 Times in 1,918 Posts

Had that last month, almost went septic between Sat. Morning and Monday morning. It will kill her. ER asap.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,709 Times in 5,317 Posts

I was given Keflex for a recent staph infection that produced quite a nasty boil. They initially had me on Bactrim with it but called me to stop that once the culture was back.

It the area is red and hot, see a doctor ASAP. My GP wouldn't touch it, long story short I have a local urgent care center that isn't squeamish about boils. It was sliced open and drained, scraped out around the inside (painful..) to make sure everything was out.

Today is 3 weeks since I noticed it and it is on the road to healing. Still raised up, probably due to scar tissue but the wound is almost completely closed up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 32,772 Times in 9,380 Posts

Don't play around with antibiotics. Your doing so could cause more harm than good.

Many antibiotics are available free or at cost from major retail pharmacies. Get a prescription and get it cured the right way.

10 years ago, I developed a Staph infection that was not responsive to the standard regimen of physician ordered ABT. Vancomycin and a week in ICU is the reason why I am still above ground today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Prepared

Thanks for all the input. My wife is beyond stubborn about going to see a doctor. I spent several hours trying to convince her before posting here. It seems like I need to try until it happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelart99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,581 Times in 7,663 Posts

Go to the doctor is my advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to home in oz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,295 Times in 3,937 Posts

Maybe take Colloidal Silver along with whatever the Dr prescribes.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 PM
This space for rent

Quote:
My wife is beyond stubborn about going to see a doctor. I spent several hours trying to convince her before posting here.
Is she flexible enough to reduce her carbohydrate intake for a week? That means little to no grains, sugar, or potatoes. Infections love carbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MooseMax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,484 Times in 3,091 Posts

Wouldn't a real prepper take this as a chance to learn real real medicine from a real doctor maybe game the system to score a double load of real antibiotics
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 33,861 Times in 9,692 Posts

I have something, A new diagnosis, yea, fun, NOT!! Hidradenitis Supperativa.

Basically boils in the arm pits and groin area. NOT FUN!. I had it show up in an area that will not be mentioned and I wound up having to go to the ER to get it lanced and cleaned out not fun. They told me it was just at the beginning of turning septic.

First off, take your wife in to get her clearly diagnosed to make sure you have the right medicine then if it comes back you know what to use.

Anyway, the dr gave me a prescription for Doxycycline 100mg once a day for 10 days. It was gone within a few days. I was told that once you have it it keeps coming back. Lovely.

Anyway I have been using Amoxycillin from www.fishmoxfishflex.com and it was helping my teeth infections so I thought I would try the Fish Doxy tablets 100mg.

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index...ne-100-mg.html

When it came back again I tried the exact same dosage and length of time that the dr prescribed me and it was gone within 3 days.

So, I am not a dr so take this info as you will.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 11:25 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMax View Post
Is she flexible enough to reduce her carbohydrate intake for a week? That means little to no grains, sugar, or potatoes. Infections love carbs.
Very true among some infections, but not so much for others.

Even among some mutations of Staph, a no carb diet doesn't hold true.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
I have something, A new diagnosis, yea, fun, NOT!! Hidradenitis Supperativa.

Basically boils in the arm pits and groin area. NOT FUN!. Another autoimmune disease. I had it show up in an area that will not be mentioned and I wound up having to go to the ER to get it lanced and cleaned out not fun. They told me it was just at the beginning of turning septic.

First off, take your wife in to get her clearly diagnosed to make sure you have the right medicine then if it comes back you know what to use.

Anyway, the dr gave me a prescription for Doxycycline 100mg once a day for 10 days. It was gone within a few days. I got Fish Doxy and every time it comes back which I was told that once you have it it keeps coming back. Lovely.

Anyway I have been using Amoxycillin from www.fishmoxfishflex.com and it was helping my teeth infections so I thought I would try the Fish Doxy tablets 100mg.

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index...ne-100-mg.html

When it came back again I tried the exact same dosage and length of time that the dr prescribed me and it was gone within 3 days.

So, I am not a dr so take this info as you will.
Its good that you can manage that infection, but you're taking the real chance of a superinfection if it comes back at you hard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 33,861 Times in 9,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
Its good that you can manage that infection, but you're taking the real chance of a superinfection if it comes back at you hard.
I don't doubt it but I am living with Connective Tissue Disease, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Lupus Nephritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Peripheral Vascular disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, High blood pressure as well as this new diagnosis

I am a walking time bomb. I have spent at least a week in the hospital almost every year for the last 6 years like a month or so ago that's why I wasn't on line here. Something has tried to kill me at 1 time or another in the last 6 years..

And I am at the point if it does it does. At least I wouldn't be in any more pain and wondering if this is it.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 12:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,858 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
I don't doubt it but I am living with Connective Tissue Disease, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Lupus Nephritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Peripheral Vascular disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, High blood pressure as well as this new diagnosis
Life can be so unfair and cruel at times. I truly hope you have some break through in discovering the core issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 17,773 Times in 5,409 Posts

Cephalexin 500mg, every eight hours.

And hope its not a resistant strain.

Just because something is dangerous doesn't mean you can't help them do it when they ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post: