Suburban Generator Considerations - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 02-21-2020, 08:37 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

By going with two smaller generators that can be hooked together if one dies you've still got one. A single 2000 watt generator can run a refrigerator, a small chest freezer, TV, computer, and a few lights at the same time.

Most electric motors require a short surge of power to get started. This surge is about 3 times as much power as the motor uses once running. So if your refrigerator requires 400 watts of electricity when running it will need about 1200 watts for about 1/5th of a second as it starts. This is called the "startup surge" and is often why a generator sometimes can't start a motor it otherwise would be plenty large enough to run.

Another consideration is the AC sine wave the generator puts out. Less expensive generators put out a MSW wave (modifies sine wave) which isn't as good at running things, especially motors and battery chargers. Because MSW isn't as efficient at making a motor run the motor requires about 10% more power to turn. Better generators use PSW (Pure Sine Wave) inverters which make things run cooler and more efficiently. Your grid power is PSW power.

The Honda generators use inverters to make PSW power which is part of the reason they are so expensive. At the same time because then make a better sine wave things run better and on less power than would be required if a cheaper non- inverter type generator is used.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Galt 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 10:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,126 Times in 1,538 Posts

[QUOTE=Outpost75;19873782]My experience with smaller portable gensets was that none are rated for continuous duty and if you run it alot over several weeks, it will fail. After burning up several, I opted for a 22kw Generac Ö./QUOTE]

My issue with Generac is that I'm buying a genset NOT some mass market corporations bloated TV ad budget. I have a rule of thumb: if a Co needs a huge TV/print budget to more their schlock then I'm NOT one of their marks. Make and sell your engineering, value, features etc.

And their residential sets are pretty wimpy.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:21 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 19,039 Times in 5,729 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs!

Update: I now have another Ryobi 2300 and freshened up the the 7500w. I haven't run the two Ryobis together much but everything I have tried on them works well. Didn't think much of the bluetooth feature at first but I really like it now. When I test run them every few weeks I can monitor the gas and output and turn off with the phone from inside the house.

Will keep the 7500w around as the neighborhood loaner or backup-backup-backup. Thing is super loud compared to the smaller ones.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:39 AM
Museum Piece

Gennys are a beacon for robbers. Dont care how quiet they are.

Seabee, we work on them all the times. By any means NOT EMP proof.

Those you have the mother boards go out all the time. Then you buy another.
Look into industrial units, like what BE sells.

Any gen set the oil is the key to them not burning up.
Air Cooled oil: every 50 hours of operation. Automotive oil 25 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 03:39 AM
S.O.S.

I just wanted to parrot everyone noting how quiet the Honda's are. Along with their stellar reliability, even when not properly maintained (its a Honda), it is crazy how quiet those things are. I believe the Eu2000i is what I have on my work truck and from 15-20 feet away its nearly silent. Working next to them they are quieter than a sewing machine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
I just wanted to parrot everyone noting how quiet the Honda's are. Along with their stellar reliability, even when not properly maintained (its a Honda), it is crazy how quiet those things are. I believe the Eu2000i is what I have on my work truck and from 15-20 feet away its nearly silent. Working next to them they are quieter than a sewing machine.
Yes they are quiet. My whole house 22kw with the standard housing canít be heard 300 feet away. I built a baffling that I can put around it that reduces it even further. I donít have to worry about being under powered. Can weld with all the lights on, ac, fridges, deep freezers, well pump, and anything else all going at the same time. And can step down to 5500 or 2000 kw gens if mobility is wanted. Donít downplay the ability to have lots of power.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 02:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,402 Times in 746 Posts

[QUOTE=neiowa;20078720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
My experience with smaller portable gensets was that none are rated for continuous duty and if you run it alot over several weeks, it will fail. After burning up several, I opted for a 22kw Generac …./QUOTE]

My issue with Generac is that I'm buying a genset NOT some mass market corporations bloated TV ad budget. I have a rule of thumb: if a Co needs a huge TV/print budget to more their schlock then I'm NOT one of their marks. Make and sell your engineering, value, features etc.

And their residential sets are pretty wimpy.
I'm with you. Most generac generators people buy are air cooled lawnmower engines in a fancy enclosure...there also made in China to a price point.

I have a diesel military 5kw and I just got a tiny sportsman 900w inverter. This this is super cheap, $200 and can go 8hrs on 0.5gal of fuel. Also it will start and run my 5cuft chest freezer. It's also very quiet. With a 100ft cord you really have to know it's there to hear it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,853 Posts

The cheapest generators have a native sine wave output due to the rotating (3600 rpm) magnetic field. The cheap inverter generators modify a DC square wave to simulate a sine wave and do a poor job of it. It's the harmonic content of the modified square wave that does the damage to motors and some types of electronics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 07:11 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 77,160 Times in 22,609 Posts

This guy has a channel devoted to his solar and backup generator system that is truly first class.

Not sure what happened to him, as I haven;t seen any new videos for several years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OBXSOLWIND/videos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I have only borrowed a generators, never been an owner. The one I was impressed with was one of the little Honda critters. Nice and quiet, hot parts well protected by shrouding..sipped gas.but very expensive! It works well when you need it but I don't know anyone who has used one continually for any length of time - even a couple of weeks. What I do know from years of tinkering is that water cooled engines are more dependable, durable and quieter than air cooled. They are also more expensive. They tend to be more fuel efficient because the engine temperature is easier to control and keep steady. When you make this kind of decision you need to assign priorities to things like durability and ease to repair and maintain. Look at your worst case scenario. Is it likely that you will need to use a generator for more than a couple of weeks? Possible that you will need to run it for 3 months or more? Do you want to pre for any possible scenario? What are the consequences of a generator burning out. Will you starve? Lose your ability to do opsec because you have none of the electronic monitoring devices? Once you answer these kinds of questions, you usually find that your choices are reduced and your options more limited. Is there a stated MTBF of these generators? And how likely is it that that number is accurate?

You can't beat Honda generators. I used them for years surveying on small boats around the world. They are stone reliable and are the right choice when you HAVE to have power. We ran them for months at a time in rain and rough wave action, they always worked.

For my needs, I decided to go with champion 2000 watt inverter generators. They are half the price of the Hondas and work really well. I do not use them much so I have 1000 dollars invested in generators sitting in my garage as opposed to 2000 dollars. One's needs will determine what you buy, if it HAS to always work buy Honda. If it is a matter of convenience go with Champion or one of the second tier brands.

Sorry for the lengthy post!!

Jump
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forum Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 11:09 AM
Survivor

NW Guy has done well with Powermate. Of course air cooling is more effective in his neck of the woods. I think I might try a box fan near my Powermate 5000 to help with cooling in warm weather. Also, I don't run mine continuously, just every four hours or so long enough to get fridge and freezer to cycle off and to pressurize well tank as needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 12:28 PM

I am trying to learn more about generators and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with generators bought at Harbor Freight? Here is one I was looking at:
PREDATOR
3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator

The $800 mark is the most I can afford. Thanks to everyone in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to x-comm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-comm View Post
I am trying to learn more about generators and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with generators bought at Harbor Freight? Here is one I was looking at:
PREDATOR

I would look at Craigís list. Around me there are lots posted all the time. Buying used but in good shape saves you at least 1/3 the price.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 12:09 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
Just my personal opinion.
The OP mentioned selling a 12+ year old genny to partially finance a new one.
I would be very leary if I saw an ad for one that old.I would offer 50$,maybe go up to 100$,but thats because I don't really need a 5th genny,but thats just me.
I would just keep the bigger one unless you get a heck of a deal or trade in on it.
Ya never know.
Many older gennys are what some people call "build ups," which means that they are built of separate, standalone components that can be repaired or reconditioned individually. There's a motor, an alternator, a control panel, and a frame. Motors wear out over time and can either be replaced or hopefully overhauled if you can find the parts. The alternator is just a housing, windings, and bearings. If the alternator is operational, the windings are probably in good shape and could have years of use left if you replace the bearings and clean up the windings. You'd be surprised at the kinds of spare parts you can find online. I found a piston for a 6hp motor by just searching on the numbers on the back of the case. It arrived from China, complete with a new set of rings and dropped right in. I've been using it for years.
If it's still running, I'd take it for $100 in a heartbeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to williammandella For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 05:46 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 77,160 Times in 22,609 Posts

I see Northern tools has a similar invertor genny fitting your parameters.
Looks like a very fuel efficient and quiet unit.
Kinda wish I had one now that I looked.

Looks like it might even be the same one you are looking at painted a different color.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...QaAmcDEALw_wcB

One of the reviews.
"Long runtimeDecember 22, 2019
DisabledVet08081990 from Huntsville, AL(read all my reviews)(read all my reviews)
I was skeptical about the runtime of 11 hours but I figured it had to run longer and quieter than my B&S 5k. I bought this and prepared it for service on my 28 ft. travel trailer. I was highly impressed at how long it ran. The trailer has a refrigerator and central gas fan forced heat and we were using lights, charging phones, charging a laptop, and running a BI-PAP. I started this generator @ 9:40 PM and it was still running @ noon the next day. That's over 15 hours and it only used about 2.5 gallons of gasoline. My other generator would have had to be refueled twice to get that amount of runtime. This generator is 1/3 as loud as my other one. The only thing I don't like about this machine is that it doesn't have larger wheels. I plan to build a wheeled frame to make it easier to move. If you're in the market for a fuel efficient and quiet generator with clean output voltage, then this is the ticket. I may purchase another one in the future if I see the need. This is ABSOLUTELY the best generator I've ever used. Even the generators I used in the army weren't as efficient as this one."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Survivor

Facebook marketplace in my area had several Predator and Powerhouse used 3500 watt inverter generators for around $400.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,402 Times in 746 Posts

I would def go used, esp if the thing has an hour meter.

Last year I picked up a 3500w non inverter that also does 240v, pretty rare for that small of a generator. Didn't start so I got it for $50.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-comm View Post
PREDATOR

The Predator 3500 inverter generator is the hot ticket in the RV world at the moment. I do not have one but I frequent RV forums and Facebook pages and the Predator is mentioned a lot. Most folks are happy with it and claim (rightly or wrongly) that it is quieter than a Honda!

From what I read, there is a possibility of getting a bad one occasionally. Run it hard when new and take it back if necessary to insure you have a good unit. Most folks buy the extended warranty and have spoken of returning it for a new one upon expiration of the warranty. I can't speak to that idea.

Sales are common and approx 700 dollars is the sweet spot for the generator.

Jump
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forum Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 09:01 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 7,977 Times in 2,020 Posts

FWIIW

From HANDYMAN magazine
rating inverter gens

The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,126 Times in 1,538 Posts

Have a 5kw, 10kw and 15kw DOD surplus MEP diesel gensets. Toying with the idea of getting a 5-8kw dual fuel portable set so can run on LP. Apparently all that are avail come from chicomland with some kind of chicom engine. A HUGE negative. Particularily if need parts down the road.

Typical in this size in this size a 420cc inclined single cylinder. Anyone have experience with such chicom engine/gensets for life and "repairablity". Given its the chicoms, did they just steal someone else's engine design? (a good design or crap).

Hard to beat a good ole Briggs for repairability and ease of getting parts for engines that are decades old.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...902,4294746919
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post: