Gaming computer - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 08-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,104 Times in 445 Posts

Advertise Here

These are entry level but which is better? Thanks

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...?skuId=6329757

https://www.letsbld.com/starter-pc
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,403 Times in 3,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I would just get a floppotron.

Danger Zone on FLOPPOTRON - YouTube
I prefer the wintergatan marble machine

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q
The Following User Says Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 02:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,720 Times in 887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greif View Post
One you can upgrade to 3000-series Ryzen CPU. Preferably even before you buy the system Those new ones are (depending on test) close/even/better than Intel equivalents in gaming.

Otherwise those builds are really hard to compare. Intel 660p ssd is said to be really bad performance wise, so the other computers 240ssd+2tb hard drive is better.

Likewise RX580 and GTX1660 trade blows depending on game, newer GTX1660 winning more.

--
I did some searching, both computers have a motherboard with B450 chipset that suppports 3000-series Ryzen processors. So it is upgradeable afterwards. Both have 4 dimm slots.

I lean towards to NZXT build, because it has a full size motherboard and has bluetooth chip that cyberpower does not. You can use it to connect phone, headset or other peripherals in the future. Only thing I would replace is the Intel SSD to something else like Samsung EVO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 05:22 AM
Omnes homines resurgere

Thanked 1,811 Times in 456 Posts

Please don't buy a pre-built system. In my experience they are overpriced, underpowered and very difficult to upgrade. Given what AMD has done to the market with Zen 2, there hasn't been a better time for a budget build.

pcpartspicker.com is a great resource that will help you pick good parts, check for hardware conflicts and even help you find the best price for the components.

I suggest looking at a Ryzen 3600. It's easy on power (and heat), it comes with a cooler and it should slot in to a large range of boards from the X370 and X470 series. I suggest a X470 motherboard from someone like Asus or MSI, but shop around for the best deal. I suggest a 2x8GB RAM kit and a Solid State drive from Western Digital or Samsung. SATAIII at least, or NvME if your budget permits. The Graphics card is probably going to be the big dollar item in the shopping cart. I'm personally a Radeon fan, but the GTX cards are pretty good. GTX 1060 or 1070 are pretty good, or the RX580. If you're lucky, you might be able to find a good card for under $200. For the power supply, look for full modular. It'll make your life that much easier.

I hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPhoenix13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,436 Times in 4,401 Posts

Just get them a good, MSI gaming laptop, and a decent external monitor, to hook it to.

I have an MSI Gamer. No, not cheap, and it's now three years old, and I haven't found a single, AAA Title game that it won't play on high settings.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:09 AM

I think you'd better buying a computer which has been especially designed for gaming purposes.. otherwise, yo may get troubles when installing and playing some of games.Asus is a good option
Old 09-11-2020, 08:30 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 64,777 Times in 21,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
And here we are 10 years later, and I know nothing. Everything has progressed, the interfaces are different, brands are new, or gone, and I’d be starting from scratch.
Every 5 years I go through the same self torment of getting back up to speed to build a new one.

Sorry, no Ryzen for me in my last build this summer. I hate AMD, and now they managed to ruin another good brand by buying Radeon. So it was i9 Comet Lake and nVidia RTX. ASUS all the way for mobo and graphics. Added a hot swap bay this time finally.

Relearning to build pc's every half decade is a pain, but it keeps me from losing touch.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 09:48 AM
Target Shooter

There are companies who will build for you if you don’t feel comfortable doing it on your own. I have a very nice one I bought from Digital Storm 3 years ago that still is running great. You choose the components. With computers you get what you pay for. The laptops you can get at the stores will overheat and games are so intense these days the computer you buy today will be obsolete by next year.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,383 Posts

It's usually cheaper to custom-build desktop PCs. What some do is look for configurations they like online, compare it to the recommended specs of software that they use (also found online), write them down, go to a large store that sells parts, and show the specs. After some modifications, the system can be put together in an hour or so.

In general, use desktops rather than laptops, unless the system needs to be portable. Use a full tower for the casing, and make sure that there's a lot of space inside for air flow. Some have helpful features like a magnetized, detachable screen covering the fan ducts which can be cleaned easily, as well as enough USB and audio ports in front or on top. Add silent fans and, if needed, a closed liquid cooling system.

Components will be dependent on specs, but usually a mid-range CPU, graphics card, and memory will do. Consider memory sticks and motherboards with slots that will allow for additional memory if needed, as well as sufficient ports for additional drives and enough USB ports.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:30 PM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 6,022 Times in 1,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Every 5 years I go through the same self torment of getting back up to speed to build a new one.

Sorry, no Ryzen for me in my last build this summer. I hate AMD, and now they managed to ruin another good brand by buying Radeon. So it was i9 Comet Lake and nVidia RTX. ASUS all the way for mobo and graphics. Added a hot swap bay this time finally.

Relearning to build pc's every half decade is a pain, but it keeps me from losing touch.
Pretty much how I feel about it too, every 5-6 years I replace all the important parts. I used to be a diehard AMD fan but when they went Radeon, the quality went to crapola so now I run NVIDIA only.
The Following User Says Thank You to cannonfoddertfc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready?mom View Post
There are companies who will build for you if you donít feel comfortable doing it on your own. I have a very nice one I bought from Digital Storm 3 years ago that still is running great. You choose the components. With computers you get what you pay for. The laptops you can get at the stores will overheat and games are so intense these days the computer you buy today will be obsolete by next year.
That's where build your own truly shines. I can wait for 5 years for a new one by making each one with a premium mobo that has opportunity to upgrade. If mine starts falling back the fix is but a couple hundred to leap back into contention. At years 2 and 4 I'm out $300 or so each time for a new boost.

Mind you that ability doesn't come cheap at the new build. A truly decent new gaming tower pc will run you about 2 grand if you do all the work yourself. Add a grand if some company does it for you.

Yep, the OP's kid just asked for a 3 grand computer if dad really intends to give an honest gaming pc. Sure, there are lesser pc's that are close to capability, but they will get slow for games in just a year or so if the kid keeps wanting the newest games. And those lesser pc's won't be scalable later. So the kid wil have just a taste of high speed and the hunger for more as it rapidly slips away, thereby causing disappointment or badgering to upgrade before the dust has even started to infiltrate the case.

Gaming laptops are a joke if the goal is to play new games every year. They are barely scalable and always expensive. They are only good for that year's games and older games. If that works for you then it's your wallet I guess.

Serious gamers who want portability don't use laptops. They use shuttle cases instead. Tiny expensive boxes crammed to the gills with high end components. They are having to buy new components constantly, but they can get 2 to 3 years before they hit the wall, instead of just one with a laptop.

Of course, all of this is predicated on the type of games the gamer wants to play. Turn based, sim, MMO, and some other games aren't so hardware intensive. But the latest greatest FPS games will always tax any good gaming computer. Determining what the kid likes to play will go a long way to deciding how expensive this machine could be.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:58 PM
Prepared

I agree that building is a good option. I have built and upgraded many. Back when motherboards had simm AND dimm ram slots for compatibility was when I started. lol

Caveats:

If you have issues, warranty will be by the parts manufacturer not one company. So you might have to call the motherboard manufacturer then the video card manufacturer, then the memory manufacturer, etc.

You are tech support. I do IT and I have enough of that at work. I don't game anymore though. Too much else to get done My son wanted a gaming laptop, so that cut out the build option anyway.

You need to do due diligence to look at reviews of the parts you are buying. Sometimes you have to avoid things that seem like cheaper or better options because they have issues.

+1 On involving your kid. Let him make some choices. Maybe he wants a mouse with blue lights that is $10 more... Just go with it on the small stuff unless it is a performance issue. Makes him feel like it is his. Then plan out the build and do it together. The memories will be there long after the pc is scrap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald_55 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_55 View Post
+1 On involving your kid. Let him make some choices. Maybe he wants a mouse with blue lights that is $10 more... Just go with it on the small stuff unless it is a performance issue. Makes him feel like it is his. Then plan out the build and do it together. The memories will be there long after the pc is scrap.
+10 on teaching your kid as part of the build. Stating in the mid 90's I included my then teen nephew on my pc builds. Then he built his own. By Y2K he was my equal and pulling ahead and starting college as a software engineer. Now 20 years later he's a hot shot systems analyst for petroleum data survey companies. He earns more than I do now and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Fact is that it is just another way to mentor a useful skill. Get them to help you fix the house plumbing, the vehicle, the electrical system, that old clothes washer, whatever. Get them to feel useful with a tool in hand and something good will come of it. He may finally choose a skilled trade or scientific career. Or just maybe he'll save a bunch of cash later being his own handyman when he owns his own home. You can learn with them. Kids respond well to an adult that isn't fully skilled but is being honest about learning. A few bruised knuckles and the odd curse word directed at an inanimate object creates some bonding in overcoming obstacles. It teaches them that life has struggles that can be overcome if you apply yourself. A kid learns very little when they see you writing a check for a common home job right at the outset, other than to think of skilled men as help staff to be paid off. But to try, then honorably fail, then call for a skilled tech teaches them the value of a skilled tradesman.

Immerse them in the honest struggles of DIY and skilled trades. They learn at multiple levels to be ready for the challenges of adulthood.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaF View Post
I think you'd better buying a computer which has been especially designed for gaming purposes.. otherwise, yo may get troubles when installing and playing some of games.Asus is a good option
Whatever he decided it was probably done long ago given the original post was from June 2019.

-ws