losing weight revisited - low carb + mobile app - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ammo loose pack volume sixtus Firearms General Discussion 28 10-29-2019 09:25 PM
Mobile App Feedback Dozer826 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 10-22-2017 02:43 AM
Communication Complete Newbie- where to start? happypreppermom Communications 26 06-12-2017 07:26 AM

Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,350 Times in 4,318 Posts
Default losing weight revisited - low carb + mobile app

Advertise Here

So I posted awhile ago about low carb diets and wanted to revisit the subject. I typically weigh about 5 9", 175lbs and have struggled for quite a long time trying to lose 10 pounds.

a few years ago I did a keto diet and was able to get down to 165. At that weight my abs are starting to show and my face is thinner. Unfortunately my wife got pregnant and during that time I gained it back as I ate a lot of second dinners with her.

Due to having zero will power in the face of all the desserts my kids eat, I havent been able to lose the 10 and even got up to about 178.

Over the last 10-15 years, nutrition has made some strides in understanding how hunger works and why people struggle to lose weight. Ultimately as many of us have thought, it is still fundamentally about calories in vs calories out. You will never bypass the physics of this. However the one thing you can have some influence on is how bad you feel when you have the calorie shortage you need to lose weight.

Everyone has noticed that your body tends to want to stay at the same weight. It turns out there are two hormones leptin and ghrelin that work to control hunger. Leptin is produced by fat cells, the more fat you have, the more leptin you have. Leptin reduces hunger. The problem is that like many hormones, your body gets used to a certain level over time. So if you are fat you need more leptin to feel full. When you lose weight you have less leptin than your base and that makes you feel hungry until your body acclimates to the new level.

Ghrelin is produced by the stomach and makes you feel hungry. When your stomach stretches, ghrelin production is reduced which makes you feel less hungry.

glucose (carb) intake, also stimulates leptin, but the impact is short. Fructose does not stimulate leptin nearly as much. This may be one reason why high fructose corn syrup is making everyone fat.

Unfortunately experiments with giving people leptin did not reduce weight as their bodies adjusted the hunger response to whatever level of leptin you give over time. Your body gets used to a particular amount of leptin and then makes you feel hunger when you have less than that and full when you have more. As you lose weight you start going well below the setpoint and you have to acclimate your body to the new base level of leptin.

Different types of food give you longer feelings of fullness. Protein gives by far the most lasting feeling of fullness, then fat, and carbs give you very little fullness, mainly from the stretch of your stomach and the insulin spike. Fructose does not stimulate leptin production, but glucose does.

Keto works by focusing your diet on the types of food that make you feel full the longest. A cup of rice is around 200 calories with is similar to around 1/4 pound of filet mignon which has about 230 calories. The filet will keep you full for a lot longer.

Im finally steadily losing weight again using of all things, a mobile app, called my fitness pal. It (and many similar apps) have a huge database of food. The app keeps you to a calorie deficit of about 400 calories a day. This will lose about 1 lb a week. This is a slow enough rate that Im not suffering, too much.

Im still mostly doing low carb, but the app makes it much easier to factor in eating the carbs and the impact of exercise. Im getting about 1800 calories a day with only a 400 calorie deficit. Im not ever really famished, but Ive learned that it is really easy to accidentally go over the 400 calories. A couple extra slices of bread/day, a little too much oil, or a dessert can easily put you over. I suspect this is why I wasnt losing the weight.

I mountain bike and that typically gives me an extra 600-1000 calories on the day I ride. Turns out that is a huge amount of extra food.

Im down to about 173 (5 lbs from max) after 5 weeks and it has been effortless. The app gives me concrete info about whether I have the calories available to eat something. Without the app I wouldnt be sure and would end up just a little bit over. That was enough to prevent me from losing any weight.

One thing to keep in mind is that you have a lot of water. I fluctuate around +/- 3 pounds, especially after I ride in this hot weather. 173 is my morning weight, but during the day I can be as high as 175 or as low as 172.

good luck to everyone who is trying to lose weight and hope this helps.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,415 Times in 8,186 Posts

Fit day is a good app, too. They have a desktop and a mobile.

Just logging your food is really important. I snack a lot at work which gets me.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,965 Times in 5,723 Posts

I've been working out and trading muscle for fat. So my weight is the same, but I'm losing inches. I could still stand to lose some weight though.

I tracked food in a spreadsheet for a year and was able to lose weight that way. But the biggest thing I did was equating food with the effort it takes to burn the equivalent. That donut doesn't look as good when your brain equates it to almost 1 hour of running. If you workout regularly try to think of that donut when you're hitting the wall. In a typical person's day, it's almost impossible to have the amount of free time needed to work off excess calories that can be ingested rather quickly.

I'm certain I'll never be below 200 lbs again unless something terrible happens. At my height that's okay by me. I was 6'2 and 175 lbs at 13, and now I settle in around 220-240 depending on my exercise routine and diet. The 220 end with more cardio, the 240 end with more weight lifting.

Work out for fitness. Control food for weight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,565 Times in 2,529 Posts

I lost about 50 pounds in six months by cutting carbs and walking a few miles each day. I gained a lot of it back when I went back on a normal diet though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 12:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,433 Times in 4,876 Posts

I love the doctors who totally overlook how much muscle I have on me. They think everyone should weigh 165. My BMI is around 33, I will admit I need to drop at least 20 pounds to look and feel better.

Go back only 5 years, I drank a ton of beer and ate cheeseburgers and generally ate even if I was not hungry. 2 helpings of pasta, Italian bread... my weight was a steady 240 no matter what. I'm at the gym, do plenty of walking too.

Now I'm going keto, really limiting the bad carbs and I've lost weight in less than a couple of weeks. I'll have to DL a dietary app on my phone, it will help me to track my progress and be more aware of what I eat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,965 Times in 5,723 Posts

I'm obese by the old BMI calculations and overweight by the new BMI calculations. And in better shape then ever as measured by my health screening blood draw and follow up doctor's visit.

There really should be an easy way for them to factor in muscle adjustments to BMI. Maybe multiply in a chest to waste ratio or some additional measurements.

My biggest problem is the nurses don't believe my resting heart rate is that low and always count it several times. It's usually around 45 but gets to 50 depending on the nurse taking it. It's 60 now because I've been drinking coffee all morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Basically get on a diet. Do an exercise program. Then stay on it for a long time and it will work.

From what I have seen they are the three factors that really matter.

I do lo carb. And especially low sugar. And I loose weight. But it isn't one meal a day or one day a week. It is all the time.

The mental process is the most important.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,413 Times in 4,549 Posts

I switched to keto almost three months ago and have lost about 20lbs and I haven't even started hard core work outs yet. Just walking, some weights, nothing else.

No bread, no baked goods, no sugar, no sweeteners, no grains, little or no processed foods. No "cheat" meals or cheat days.

I've never felt better. Its a pain when you go out to dinner or travel, but I will never go back to eating the old way.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

I'm partial to fasts since they seem to affect my body and my mind. Mainly I just drink grapefruit and tomato juice with lots of water. I usually eat way too much during the holidays since I love roast turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, rice and all the rest, so every spring I fast to lose about thirty to forty pounds in a month and the strangest part is that after my body starts burning my fat, my energy levels get much better and I feel great. I work out and ride my bike every day, but I can't pass up all those free meals during the holidays. I tend to lose as much fat as possible during the hot part of the year because it makes me much cooler.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:01 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
There really should be an easy way for them to factor in muscle adjustments to BMI. Maybe multiply in a chest to waste ratio or some additional measurements...
It is called ABSI:

http://www-ce.ccny.cuny.edu/nir/sw/absi-calculator.html

http://www.absi-calculator.com/
Old 08-01-2018, 05:06 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
Basically get on a diet. Do an exercise program. Then stay on it for a long time and it will work.
+ set a limit for weight gain afterwards (ideally BELOW your start weight)

Start diet again if you hit that limit.

Loosing weight is not so difficult. The real drama is to keep the new low weight for at last some years. Most people fail in that phase.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:18 AM
Trapper

I seem to have lost the little bit of a belly I've had by avoiding chicken, eggs and turkey. Hope the belly stays away! It reminds of the work of the famous weight loss doctor from the past, Dr. Walter Kempner.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,350 Times in 4,318 Posts

Here is a really interesting clinical article. A very obese man didnt eat for 382 days under medical supervision and lost about 275 pounds in 382 days (456 to 180). This does have some relationship to prepping as fat people really do have the calories they need. He was supplemented with vitamins and minerals. Obese people will lose about .7 pounds per day and as long as they have vitamins/mineral supplements wont die. Likely they wont even feel that hungry. You also wont need to defecate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00315-0056.pdf

Quote:
A 27-year-old male patient fasted under supervision
for 382 days and has subsequently maintained his
normal weight.
People are claiming that regular 36 hour fasting works very well to help reset the insulin and leptin sensitivity that keeps you at a steady amount of fat. In conjunction with a low carb diet this may allow people to keep the weight off. Calorie restriction may not allow you to reset the baseline.

Some people are thinking that fasting can shrink tumors as cancer cells are starved of the glucose they need. Plus normal cells start to go quiet so become much less sensitive to chemotherapy. Cancer cells dont go quiet under reduced nutrition.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

I spend so much time on my feet at work and skiing on the weekends I struggle to keep the weight on. My doctor told me the last time I was in that if I came in again under 165 pounds he was going to tie me up and force feed me. He also told that at my age, 63, being to lean is flirting with bone loss.

I live on seafood and veggies. No processed foods. Raw nuts and seeds, small amounts of fruit and occasionally some grass fed and finished buffalo.

Little or no dairy, poultry, pork or beef.

If I know I'm going to ski hard all day I'll eat a massive breakfast. Four eggs and as much yams and/or sweet potatoes as I can eat. Mandatory 3,000 calorie start to the day.

Move more, eat less. Your brain runs on fats. %90 of everything you see in a typical grocery store is NOT edible.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,859 Times in 3,158 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

It's not food but alcohol that does it for me, the heaviest I weighed was 13 1/2 stone (5'8" 1/2) and I had a gut and man boobs. I was drinking 4 pint cans of 5% lager and a bottle of red wine a night for years, some nights I would drink double that....

I stopped the regular drinking, went through some tough patches of not having much money for food and working my ass off and walking everywhere and now weigh 10 stone (this time last year I weighed 11 1/2 stone).

Feel much better now, lighter on my feet and with the my new job I can't drink while I'm on assignment (go away for a month at a time as a live in carer).

Wouldn't want to lose anymore and look like Bruce Lee, having a little bit of fat is good if you get the flu or something bad happens and you can't eat for awhile.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 59,388 Times in 19,255 Posts

Quote:
Due to having zero will power in the face of all the desserts my kids eat, I havent been able to lose the 10 and even got up to about 178.
That's really all its about.

I am blessed, good genes. Just normal exercise and I stay trim and people think I work out.

Heck, I haven't been able to work out in years (injuries) and a (good looking) nurse was just in my hospital room flirting with me. (Still got it.)

So when I notice I'm putting on weight I do this amazing thing:

I stop eating so much!
Calories in, calories out.

Really is that simple.

How bad you want it?