Home Made Shotshell Reloader Kit? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone made home made pepper spray? MagicPuff Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 34 12-25-2015 03:09 PM
.22LR reloader kit. Anyone going to Buy? Brew Firearms General Discussion 38 04-29-2015 08:20 PM
22LR Reloader Kit congasan Firearms General Discussion 2 03-14-2015 10:59 AM
ready made kit John_Auberry General Discussion 1 07-19-2012 08:53 PM
Anyone Want A Shotshell Reloader -- Free!! TAKEZO Firearms General Discussion 12 10-15-2010 05:08 PM
Colt made Ar 15 .22 kit magazine ?? Griffin1340 Military Weapons Forum 2 08-01-2010 09:14 AM
Home made firstaid kit. P11UK Health, Fitness and First Aid 8 09-15-2009 09:43 PM
Shotshell reloader - Pacific DL-266 tennesseetrouter Firearms General Discussion 0 12-01-2008 06:57 PM
600 MEC jr. shotshell reloader Ta'veren Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 09-10-2008 10:36 PM
Home made gun cleaning kit kev Firearms General Discussion 2 05-22-2007 12:24 AM

Old 02-25-2016, 12:35 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,289 Times in 1,958 Posts
Default Home Made Shotshell Reloader Kit?

Advertise Here

A while ago I read an article in Backwoodsman Magazine where a guy had built his own home made shotshell reloading kit out of some wood with different depressions drilled in it for jigs or "dies", nails/screws. and a couple other things to accomplish all the steps you need to reload shotshells without a manufactured loader.

Any of you made one of these kits? Money's tight, too tight, and I want to have a very small portable basic kit to reload used shells with buckshot to save $$$ instead of buying expensive brand name ammo. Im only shooting 20 GA.

From what i understand, you have to:

- punch out old primer
- put in new primer
- put in measured amount of powder
- put in the wadding (i would use plastic bulk Shotgun wads unless i csn find alternative or i cant get them anymore)
- put in the shot (mostly 000 buck for me)
- seal/crimp the end

Questions:

- I saw online that a guy was loading his own buckshot (melted and reformed bird shot he took out of the shells he was reloading) and he ground up dry ramen noodles as a "buffer" to pack the buckshot into.... is this necessary?

- How safe is it to "tap" a primer into the primer hole?? like not directly with a hammer, but setting it in a wooden "jig" made for this and tapping on the other end of the shell to seat the primer. Thoughts?

- Crimping/sealing the end: I see they have a tool/die to do a roll crimp on the end when a cardboard/plastic "end cap" is put in place covering the shot. That might work at home with electricity, but would a hand drill (taking longer) be able to do that? whats an easy, basic way to seal/re-crimp the shotshell? will the old crimp go back to normal if worked back down? Also I was thinking of using old plastic soda bottles and cutting the end sealing pieces, just finding a die that will cut out the size i need.

- If roll crimp or other method of sealing the end is used, ie cutting down the end of the shell, how many reloads can you do with one shell, not including if one is damaged, somehow negating it being reloaded again?

- Anything you guys can give in the way of advice, tips, etc will be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Trapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4IBv0Bg9U
he has a few videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85LMFWKwTo
he uses black powder but same steps
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:40 PM
I love this forum

THANK YOU! i did some searches but these never came up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Trapper

i use a flat nail to push primer out and a soft wood plank to push new one in. I reload with lee powder cup(if using gun powder).Then use same cup for shot(its called a square load, same amount of powder to shot) Then put a card on top and add elmers school glue to hold it in place and trim plastic down .
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,651 Times in 685 Posts

Doesn't LEE still sell the little one at a time reloading setup for these? apparently not, discontinued, but they are on ebay...also Lanes reloading makes a copy for $35...I would probably go that route before I rigged something, but if you are dead set on it, go here http://lane371.dotster.com/instructions.html

look at their instructions and you can see how they prime the shells. could probably make your own similar setup with a hinge and some wood...
Old 02-25-2016, 06:46 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowed time View Post
- I saw online that a guy was loading his own buckshot (melted and reformed bird shot he took out of the shells he was reloading) and he ground up dry ramen noodles as a "buffer" to pack the buckshot into.... is this necessary?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,350 Times in 9,778 Posts

Cream of Wheat makes a better buffer plus you don't need to grind it up

Just sayin'

Your biggest issue will be properly resizing your shells, if you don't get that right, you're wasting a bunch of time! I might suggest you stick with low brass but still if you don't do them right, they won't chamber properly or will stick if they do chamber.

Reloading on the ultra cheap can be done provided you have the time, patience and some ingenuity! Modern reloaders just make this process much easier!
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,651 Times in 685 Posts

found this searching on another site because it got me wondering about the above comment on resizing. I assumed you couldn't resize plastic shells as I never saw anyone do it. I only reload for hand guns and rifles so thought it was interesting.

not my wording, it's from an old THR thread:

"you can load 12 guage with out any kind of press. very easy to do. i have done it. i learned about it on guns of the wild west a magazine. there was an article back in january of this year. tools needed

5 inch piece of 3/4inch dowel
1 1/2 nut
1 3 1/2" nail
3 inch 5/8 dowel

First put the shell (used) on the 1/2 nut. then put the nail in the shell tap on it to drive out the primer.

2nd use the 3/4 dowel to reshape the shell. tap it in place. With your hand work down all the high or rough spots

3rd place a primer on a flat surface. put the shell on top. place the 5/8 dowel inside tap it to seat the primer.

4th. pour in your desired amount of powder followed by your desired type of wad. use the 5/8 dowel to seat the wad 5th pour in your shot. then use the 5/8 dowel to compress again. Make sure the shell is on the 1/2 in nut during this point

5th. Crimp. you can use you hands to start the crimp then use the 5/8 dowel striking the center to finish the crimp. Make sure the shell is on the 1/2 nut

5th optional. I like this one better. With out a crimp starter or finisher. Use an over the shot over the powder fiber wad. Insert it in the shell then use the dowel to seat. 3/4 dowel works best. Now use an exacto to cut around the top removing the original crimp. Then use a small amount of elmers glue to keep the wad in place."
The Following User Says Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,064 Posts

If you are in a pinch for money do not expect reloading your own shells to save you any money even with a "home made" setup.

By the time you invest in primers, powder (which is still scarce) and shot(which is still expensive) you will have an investment equal to about 500 Walmart shells. Then you still have to go through the learning curve with your crude home made reloader.

On top of that, Lee still makes the Load-All for sale at around $50, and it turns out precision shells. I use one in 20ga and it does very well.

BTW, shells reloaded in your home made set up probably will not cycle through a pump or auto and will be a constant irritation when chambering or extracting from a single shot or double due to the shell not being properly resized at the base.

They may look fine, but they are not.
The Following User Says Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post: