Ammo not ejecting - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you store ammo in the factory boxes or loose in ammo cans? Inazone Firearms General Discussion 101 07-19-2015 02:10 PM
$33 for a set of twelve 100 Round Handgun Ammo Boxes from Smart Reloader (Ammo Box #1 GearHog GearHog 0 06-10-2013 03:00 AM
1000 Rds Sellier & Bellot 9mm Brass Ammo w/ Two .50 Cal Ammo Cans - $213 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 10-16-2012 03:31 PM
Cheap steel case ammo or more expensive brass ammo kev Firearms General Discussion 128 10-07-2012 04:29 PM
Surplus Ammo with Ammo Cans + Free Shipping over $49, 8mm, 7.62x54R, .30-06 apps47inc For Sale 0 08-16-2012 06:52 PM
Winchester 1894 (top-ejecting) - Scoped Zodiac. Rifle Forum 2 09-04-2011 09:23 PM
Glock19 GEN4 (Brass Ejecting in my face?) TMHonfire Pistol and Revolver Forum 20 12-01-2010 10:05 PM
issues with SKS cycling? Mainly ejecting spent shells codycr6 Military Weapons Forum 12 04-06-2010 07:36 AM
Ejecting cartridge-shells without cocking demitris Shotgun Forum 5 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
help with sks not ejecting sam adams Military Weapons Forum 12 05-12-2009 01:52 PM

Old 11-29-2015, 01:44 PM

Default Ammo not ejecting

Advertise Here

I have a 870 express magnum and for some reason when I shoot universal rounds out of it they jam in the gun but I can shoot all other ammo and is no problem not sure if anyone out there has had any issues like this and what could cause it?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mindshaker911 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Suburban Legend

Thanked 103,378 Times in 15,373 Posts

I've had similar problems with the Winchester universal shells. They will occasionally deform and fail to eject. It's even worse if you shoot them in a semi-auto. That's why I stopped using them.
The Following User Says Thank You to OakRidgeStars For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Dog

Look for some YouTube video's describing the problem. The first thing they try is to replace the extractor. Then polishing the chamber. But, I've heard good results about polishing the place on the bolt where the extractor goes.

I've had this problem trap shooting but haven't had time to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,893 Times in 9,294 Posts

I haven't experienced it myself, but I have heard that some shells don't cycle well in the 870/1100. I have also heard that dusting the shell casings with graphite or talcum powder helps.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:50 PM

I was having the same issue and was getting frustrated. I was having problems with "wall mart" shells, remington buckshot, federal and the like. I asked a remington 870 armorer to take a look at it, and lo and behold, it was my fault. Apparently I had been neglecting to keep the chamber clean enough. Give your gun a good solid cleaning until it shines and then see what happens.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:14 PM
Hunting in Oklahoma

Thanked 3,174 Times in 906 Posts

The Winchester universal bulk packs are the only shell I've ever had FTE with in my 870. It's a common problem if you google it, the cheap steel bases used seize up in the chamber. I polished my chamber with a bore brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool soaked in honing oil with a power drill, but in the end I switched to federal bulk packs, even though they're steel I've never had an issue in several thousand rounds. Heck I even shot better with them at the trap range. For some reason I shot better with the federal 100 packs than I did with even AA's and STS's that are twice the price. Nowadays I reload almost everything for my shotty.
The Following User Says Thank You to KHos For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

The only time I had that problem with my Mossy 500 -- the little hooky thing that grabs the shell edge wore away -- I replaced it -- no problems --
Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,925 Times in 2,312 Posts

Mossberg makes replacement barrels for those 870's. too. Fixes all the probs in a 30 sec barrel change.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:03 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,582 Posts

I've reported similar problems over the years with my mossberg products.

I have 2 mossberg 500 models...one is an older Cruiser 500 and the other is a JIC mariner..but both basically the same platform.

I can blame the cheap shells for deforming to a degree...but i also blame manufacturing quality/tolerances...I say this cause I've had to run the same cheap 7/8 bird shot rounds on indoor training classes where my old cruiser ate up about 300rds each class..no problems..but those same exact loads in the mariner will jam up so tight I can barely break the pump free to get them out..in a real fight, hunt, etc..it would be a complete shut down.
Now that same Mariner model will run slugs and quality buck shot all day long with no sticking....so what's to blame? the gun or the ammo?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHos View Post
The Winchester universal bulk packs are the only shell I've ever had FTE with in my 870. It's a common problem if you google it, the cheap steel bases used seize up in the chamber. I polished my chamber with a bore brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool soaked in honing oil with a power drill, but in the end I switched to federal bulk packs, even though they're steel I've never had an issue in several thousand rounds. Heck I even shot better with them at the trap range. For some reason I shot better with the federal 100 packs than I did with even AA's and STS's that are twice the price. Nowadays I reload almost everything for my shotty.
I had a box of them in the garage when it burned, I replaced it with Federal just to be safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

Did they go - pop-pop ?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Did they go - pop-pop ?
Not sure if it was them or the 9mm, 32auto, 20+ propane bottles (found one in the neighbors yard) or maybe the WWII hand grenade, but there was plenty of popping going on. Not to mention the 25 gallon propane tank outside that vented and was trowing flames or the Oxy Acetylene tanks and the CO2 tank that blew a hole out the side big enough to put my shoe in.

All in all, it was an interesting night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Please tell us you video'd the explosions and antics?!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by REScar View Post
Please tell us you video'd the explosions and antics?!
Our son got some pictures on his phone, but no video. I was a bit overwhelmed at the time and was lucky to get dressed (my EDC turnouts are always beside the bed), made sure the wife was dressed, the cat was out, left the door open for the firemen, turned off the power at the breakers and walked out to the road and watched it burn. It was about 2:30AM with a light to heavy drizzle. I should have moved my BOV across the street, but I wasn't sure if I should try to get to it. I did eventually walk back to the wife's Jeep and get out a couple of folding chairs to sit in.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighanded View Post
I've reported similar problems over the years with my mossberg products.

....but those same exact loads in the mariner will jam up so tight I can barely break the pump free to get them out..in a real fight, hunt, etc..it would be a complete shut down....
I don't know if it was you or not, but if it was then *you* are the only person I have ever heard say that about a Mossy. If it wasn't, then only one other person I've talked to has ever had a real Mossy jam. Are you still having probs?

Only three possibilities, though. You've got two guns, it should take you about five mins to diagnose your prob.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:40 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,582 Posts

I'm definitely not alone in this problem...and, no I don't have an ongoing issue cause I just use slugs/buck in that gun ..but if I wanted to run light shot rounds i'd spend the time with a dremel tool to finish the gun the way it should have been from the manufacturer to begin with.

I just did a quick google and here's one example of (albeit an inexperienced owner) raising the question..with many more experienced shooter replies noting the issue.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/arch...?t-459265.html
Old 03-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Not quite so on either account. There doesn't seem to be an ammo issue to begin with. The shooter tried to suggest the gun seemed to have some issues. He *was* a very inexperienced and non-knowledgeable shooter, though, so he could have just about anything or nothing screwed up. The shooter, had he known the basics of the gun, could have had that cleared in 30 seconds and been back to shooting knowing more about his gun than before.

His problem then seems to have cleared up on its own and he had no further probs. That suggests one thing; he simply was pulling back on the forearm at the moment of firing and inadvertently locking the action. In his case, he only had to push the forearm forward to unlock the action and then work the gun as normal.

The only "light ammo" problem a Mossy ever has is that problem. The inexperienced shooter is pulling backward on the forearm while shooting. In light ammo, there's not enough recoil to kick it back hard enough to unlock the slide release. Heavier ammo, even if you pull on the forearm, the kick still unlocks the forearm.

I'm guessing that was your prob as well. But since you said it was a Mariner, there is a possibility the chamber was marine-coated as well, though. Would have to see the gun. Try your gun with that in mind. Empty it and make sure the chamber is empty and then shoulder it and dry fire it while pulling backward on the slide. Try that a few times and you get the idea. Try shooting the target ammo again with that in mind and see if you have any hangups.

That shooter you linked to....he seems to have had a perfect storm of problems, though. Every simple fix seems to be prevented due to the next reason in the line of reasoning. He can't open the chamber for some reason....the logical fix is he remove the trigger group. He can't remove the trigger group due to the blocking pistol grip so he needs to remove that. He can't remove his pistol grip due to.... See the point?

I have yet to see a single case of ammo jamming a Mossy due to a sticky chamber. The posts you see on the web are almost always in the form of "I've heard such and such" or "it might be such and such".

Yours, you have two guns. Switch trigger groups. If the Mariner still sticks with the other group, then the trigger group isn't your prob. You have no probs with other ammo though so that's close to a given. If it still sticks, check the slide release. If it's still down, your action is locked at the release. Snap the forearm forward and back and see if it pops the release button loose. If it does, just don't pull back on the slide as you shoot. If the button is up and you're still stuck, release the take down screw and wiggle the barrel off. If the barrel comes off without the shell, it was an obstruction in the action. Clean your gun and check for burrs. If the hull is really sticking, it'll come off in the barrel and have to be rammed out. Watch the hull as you slowly tap it out. If it lets go slow, check for a scratched hull and a burr. If it lets go all at once, your chamber is dirty. Either way, push it back in the same exact way and then try to remove it with your fingernail again. Easy, dirty chamber....hard, tight chamber/parkerizing or a burr.

Thirty secs and you're diagnosed and probably fixed.

Again, your gun seems to be functioning fine for you at the moment. That says the gun is working fine as designed. If you can recreate the problem, you can diagnose it and fix it.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Nothing to see here...

Have problems with WinUniversal with both of my autoloaders. Now I just use them in the pump or O/U and stick to reloads or Federals (even thought the federals are very dirty rounds in general).
Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,886 Times in 2,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
Mossberg makes replacement barrels for those 870's. too. Fixes all the probs in a 30 sec barrel change.
Mossberg makes replacement barrels for REMINGTON 870's?!?
Old 03-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
Mossberg makes replacement barrels for REMINGTON 870's?!?
Yup. Can be less expensive, too, depending on exact barrel.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post: