I came across a odd shotgun today, Odd , because - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Okay, shotgun experts, which shotgun is this? sarge912 Shotgun Forum 45 10-19-2015 06:43 PM
Silly question + shotgun question for a shotgun newbie robfindlay Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 12-22-2014 11:57 PM
shota new shotgun today, and dang it now Goblin X Shotgun Forum 0 01-19-2014 11:26 PM
pick up new shotgun today gunman02 Shotgun Forum 3 12-08-2013 02:44 AM
shotgun with rifled barrel...shotgun or rifle? lexmark Shotgun Forum 15 09-04-2013 08:54 PM
could we please to call a shotgun a SHOTGUN wtr100 Shotgun Forum 84 08-27-2013 07:37 PM
Bought my 1st Non-Tacticle Shotgun Today justanotherface Shotgun Forum 6 03-16-2012 07:33 AM
Too Funny Russia Today Report Today of NATO Defeat KaBar67 General Discussion 7 08-23-2011 10:43 AM
Struck GOLD at the Pawn Shop today, SHOTGUN Pointblank Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 09-04-2008 01:26 PM

Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,375 Times in 11,474 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
Must have belonged to a big-time stoner just to walk off and leave it behind.
I thought it might be a crackhead deal or a doper, but it wasnt cut down with a hacksaw, fore and aft, and they didnt wrap it in electrical tape. tweakers do some strange stuff. I traded work last year for a New York arms, singleshot, dated 1929 , 12 ga off a tweaker last year, made way before numbers, barrel and receiver were perfect, stock was cut off rough with a hacksaw, and where it split at the bolt hole, wrapped in electrical tape. ordered a walnut blank and have been carving it out, I was lucky on it they didnt hose the barrel. plus lucky it wasn't a complicated stock like a LC smith.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Punish me not oh lord..

Badass!....
Old 11-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 13,845 Times in 3,506 Posts

Goblin ... You need to start metal detecting on your property. Maybe you'll find some serious buried treasure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Popeye Doyle For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,555 Times in 2,317 Posts

Franchi's are real common around here. Mostly with bird gunners. Broken stocks on the older guns are also real common. The recoil spring runs through the stock and so much is hollowed out that there's very little wood left in the narrowest spot. Finding a replacement stock is just about impossible.

Lots of broken Franchi's locked up in safes. We call them "French-ees". I'm sure the pronunciation is wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye Doyle View Post
Goblin ... You need to start metal detecting on your property. Maybe you'll find some serious buried treasure!
Blackbeard among others did frequent these parts for a while ya know comeon retirement..........
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
Franchi's are real common around here. Mostly with bird gunners. Broken stocks on the older guns are also real common. The recoil spring runs through the stock and so much is hollowed out that there's very little wood left in the narrowest spot. Finding a replacement stock is just about impossible.

Lots of broken Franchi's locked up in safes. We call them "French-ees". I'm sure the pronunciation is wrong.
didn't realize what you ment, till i took the butt pad off, they is a large enough hole in there to store a 5 pack of shells, maybe a 6 pack all tha way at the back of the buttstock.. thankfully, this ones just cracked up at the edge against the receiver, stock bolt was loose, thus the reason it cracked. not really comprehending why the carve so much of it out though.........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 10:30 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,681 Times in 5,627 Posts

The pronunciation is 'frankie'
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

mayhap i should put a stand in that spot, counted 18 deer, 5 bucks, rest does, 8 raccoon, 2 bobcats, and i dont know how many turkeys crossing in at that spot. tells me what they were doing there.......but it will come, game camers are a good idea, specially when you link a wireless to a cell phone. 28 days.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,433 Times in 2,079 Posts

Sounds like he knew what he was doing if he picked that spot. Could be some good ole boy just trying to feed his family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 04:46 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
Sounds like he knew what he was doing if he picked that spot. Could be some good ole boy just trying to feed his family.
Yea... can't buy food, but he buys beer and leaves a shotgun worth hundreds laying around. Not a provider of the year award winner...
Old 11-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Default if he was tryin to feed his family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
all he would have to do is ask, he could hunt. hell, i would help him. going out that way tomorrow to get girlchilds bio-mom a turkey or 2. shes got 8 other head of younguns, and currently inbetween boyfriens I would put him to work if he needed it. beat tha hell out of one of tha ones i got now, wont flipping show up.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,265 Times in 2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Yea... can't buy food, but he buys beer and leaves a shotgun worth hundreds laying around. Not a provider of the year award winner...
Knew a guy like that, two kids and a wife at home with no food. He would buy beer and cigarettes before spending a nickle on food, dirt bag dad of the year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Ok, another question on the Franchi, on this model, what was the choke on it? full? modified? its not stamped anywhere on it that I can find, and it does not have a screw in choke.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

It should be a full choke.

Because choke constriction is relative to actual bore diameter, the pattern test is the only real story, regardless of what's stamped on the barrel.

Newer Franchi 48AL barrels are marked on the right side of the barrel with the name of the choke designation. Older models use a series of stars on the underside to identify fixed choke.

* = Full
** = Improved Modified
*** = Modified
**** = Improved Cylinder

reference: http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 01:10 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,784 Times in 20,719 Posts

Subscribed to follow the story. Interesting mystery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
It should be a full choke.

Because choke constriction is relative to actual bore diameter, the pattern test is the only real story, regardless of what's stamped on the barrel.

Newer Franchi 48AL barrels are marked on the right side of the barrel with the name of the choke designation. Older models use a series of stars on the underside to identify fixed choke.

* = Full
** = Improved Modified
*** = Modified
**** = Improved Cylinder

reference: http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm
thanks SeekHer, this one has 3 +++ marks, underside of the barrel, that would make it a modified. gun show this weekend, going to pick up some decent 20 bore and probably check the pattern Monday.... still, i just cleaned it and rubbed it down, not going to do any real work to it(refinish the stock is first priority, looks like someone spray can urethane'd it in the past, runs and sags.plus a chip crack to repair, nothing critical, doesn't broach any of the holes, thought at first it was because the stock was loose, got to looking, looks like it got smacked and knocked a chunk out. no biggie.I prefer em, natural oil finish. don't get as slick when the get damp.

other than that, couples of spots in the vent rib to un-bow, check the pattern and re-tweak as necessary, Buff it out, and take it out hunting before the end of season the 1st of january. IF it dont get claimed should be able to take it out right before Christmas. So Far, Not a word. 24 days and a wakeup.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,130 Times in 880 Posts

Have a family friend that has lost his gun twice, first time he was cleaning a deer and leaned his rifle up against a tree. Took his deer out and drove home, forgot the gun, had to go back looking and it was recovered. Second time just a couple years ago he was hunting with my step-dad and his beagle got on a rabbit and took off. he was trying to catch up to his dog and set his shotgun down on the "edge" of a cornfield. Got his dog back and and it was getting dark, he couldn't find the shotgun. Shotgun was recovered the next day with help from several friends looking and found well inside the cornfield on the edge of the swamp/gamelands they were hunting. He is no longer able to hunt, alzheimers/dementia.

Some people are very absentminded.

Though you said the stock was cracked, do you think he shot it and the stock cracked and he just got disgusted and ditched the gun then and there?
The Following User Says Thank You to buckhunter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

dont know, crack in the stock is a chunk, nothing critical to the firearm, thought at first it was because the stock was loose and it cracked, but when i removed the bolt and pulled the stock its not split into a hole, its just a external chunk like it contacted something, also what puzzled me, 1 round fired , shell ejected on the ground, Bolt locked open, with 2 rounds in the tube. ODD. far as i can tell, means it was loaded with 2 after firing 1 round that was in it. just odd to leave like that.

I even thought about maybe a suicide, but even if they had left the gun there on purpose, as a marker, they wouldnt have reloaded it, would have left it empty/disabled
23 days and a wakeup
Old 11-28-2015, 12:43 PM
I have no filter

Time to throw mine out there, 32in 12ga Franchi 48AL

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Time to throw mine out there, 32in 12ga Franchi 48AL

that's a nice shotgun, I don't care for the plated engraving on the 20 i found, but for the price, I cant complain picked up some shells for it at the show here Sunday, 2 3/4" 20 ga #3 buckshot at 4 dollars a box, he had 10 boxes so i bought em all, for that price, I couldn't pass em up. the gun is still set for hunting, still has the plug in the magazine, 1 shell up the pipe and 2 in the magazine is full capacity don't know, I might leave the plug in for now, ( well in 22 and a wake up I will decide, soon as its mine free and clear, I will decide, But I might leave it in for turkey shoots and hunting....