Slug gun question ... - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slug barrel ammo question LesPaulPlayerNY Firearms General Discussion 11 10-25-2015 08:38 PM
slug efaust1287 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 4 09-29-2013 11:53 PM
30-30, .308, vs./and/or 12G Rifled Slug? Sprig Firearms General Discussion 26 04-12-2013 01:58 AM
Question on Slug Pricing vigilance Shotgun Forum 3 11-11-2012 11:52 PM
Slug?'s smokinthelast1 Shotgun Forum 5 08-28-2012 06:07 PM
Wax slug shooting Pantagruel Shotgun Forum 16 07-23-2012 09:58 PM
rifled slug barrel question zombiehunter313 Shotgun Forum 5 07-16-2012 08:45 PM
.410 slug mold? Doughboyjones Shotgun Forum 8 03-30-2012 09:54 AM
Benilli slug gun? smokinthelast1 Shotgun Forum 3 12-17-2011 04:43 PM

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,971 Times in 3,817 Posts

Advertise Here

I too am an advocate of two barrels for one gun. Most models have available a smooth and rifled bore variant. Get one of each and you are set. They are easy to swap out.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:31 PM
aint afraid of no ghost

Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Any smooth bore shotgun will work... get what is best for you. Rifled "slug guns" are a gimmick.
I think this sentament is common for folks that do not have a full understanding of hunting with slugs out of a shotgun. Where I live I had to use a shotgun to hunt dear with until two years ago. Though I can now use a rifle I have not yet gone hunting deer with one since the shotgun has worked so well. Fear the man that only owns one gun as he probably knows how to use it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,816 Posts

The great thing about using a shotgun is it's versatility, when I was growing up I used the same smooth bore 12 gauge for just about everything. Foster slugs (through a mod choke and just using the "bead") were deadly out to 50 yards, beyond that it got a bit dicey but still doable.

When I bought a pair of 870s for my boys I also bought Cation choke tubes and that made Foster slugs (particularly Brenneke) deadly out to 60 yards or so again just using the Bead.

My experience with a "rifled" barrel shotgun has been fantastic, it's a dedicated slug gun (shooting Sabots) with a 3x9 Leupold scope but there's no versatility. If one wants the up most in slug accuracy then a riffled barrel shooting Sabots and using a scope is the way to go.

I don't believe there's any gimmickry happening you just have to define your needs and match the appropriate loads to the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 AM

Can you shoot sabot slugs in a smooth bore barrel,I made a mistake a bought sabot slugs for my Benelli m4.will it hurt the gun in anyway.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,426 Times in 3,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickzone View Post
Can you shoot sabot slugs in a smooth bore barrel,I made a mistake a bought sabot slugs for my Benelli m4.will it hurt the gun in anyway.
it won't hurt the gun - assuming it's in good condition and all - you will be unlikely to actually hit anything with it - slugs will likely tumble almost immediately

you might be able to pick up a screw in rifled choke tube
Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr100 View Post
untrue - rifled slug guns with modern saboted ammo are excellent hunting arms with range to say 150 yards

they're rather specialized but not a gimmick at all
And you can hunt with a smooth bore out to the same distance. There are tons and tons of videos to prove it. Anything farther than that and your an idiot for even trying... use a rifle.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbK View Post
I think this sentament is common for folks that do not have a full understanding of hunting with slugs out of a shotgun. Where I live I had to use a shotgun to hunt dear with until two years ago. Though I can now use a rifle I have not yet gone hunting deer with one since the shotgun has worked so well. Fear the man that only owns one gun as he probably knows how to use it.
I've been hunting with slugs for over 30 years and through a wide variety of shotguns. The shotguns make more of a difference than the slugs. And I too use a shotgun most often, because fact is, most shots taken are within 100 yards.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:56 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,426 Times in 3,082 Posts

Quote:
And you can hunt with a smooth bore out to the same distance. There are tons and tons of videos to prove it. Anything farther than that and your an idiot for even trying... use a rifle.
Smooth bore beyond 75 yards is pretty dicey - seems some shotgun / slug combos can but many can't - even fewer people can shoot a shotgun with slugs beyond 75 yards

Below 75 yards the Federal Tru-Ball slugs are the nuts with my smooth bore 500
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,535 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
I'm sorry but you are wrong. There's a number of hunting sabots that are easily accurate and lethal on deer at 200 yards and taking that shot doesn't make anyone an idiot so long as they know their capabilities. It's no bigger of a gamble than taking that kind of shot with a muzzleloader. And I also don't know why you're refusing to acknowledge the fact that not everybody is able to use a rifle due to hunting restrictions. Thus, a rifled barrel slug gun is the next best option. The "just use a rifle" rhetoric is getting tired and old. Some people want better accuracy and more range than what a box of walmart foster slugs and a smoothbore are regularly capable of.

Rifled slugs out of a smoothbore are not capable of that kind of accuracy. Yes, they can reach out that far, but not anywhere near as accurately.

Rifled slugs drop much more drastically at range.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gmaster456 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

A rifled barrel in a dedicated slug gun will be accurate and deadly with rifled slugs (sabots) to 200/225 yds. i.e. Browning A-Bolt, Savage 212/220, TarHunt RSG12/20 but they must be scoped to achieve that accuracy.

Smooth bore shotguns using slugs (Brenneke etc.) when equipped with scopes can achieve 150/175 yds. ranges.

With open and/or holographic sights you can reduce each by 50/75 yds.

Some states, or counties within a state, do not allow the use of rifles for big game hunting (usually due to population density) and you are restricted to shotguns...As such thy are not gimmicks and have been designed to handle those hunting conditions effectively and efficiently.

Pellets, regardless of size but especially prevalent to larger diameters out of a rifled barrel or choke tube will tend to create a doughnut pattern with a large empty space in the centre...Thusly, rifled barrels, with shot, are not suited for home defense or bird hunting...With slugs you enter into liability problems with over penetration.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,201 Times in 2,408 Posts

About half the state of Maryland is shotgun with slugs. The rest is rifle, and one county allows buck. I thought about getting a rifled barrel for my 870 or buying a second gun specifically set up for sabots. In the end I just decided that for much of my needs a muzzleloader was a better setup. During firearms season a ML can be used in all counties. The TC shoots as good or better and doesn't have the recoil, but only one shot.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,677 Times in 4,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye Doyle View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but for those who own/shoot slug guns, is there any specific advantage of a slug gun over a standard pump for non-hunting purposes? I understand it may be an option in areas that are highly regulated against ARs, AKs, etc., but does it do anything "better" that would justify its purchase?
Yes, in the case you outline above (cannot have a "hi-cap" AK/AK) I would say having the rifled slug barrel is a worthwhile investment. It allows you to put a 1oz chunk of lead in a roughly 6" circle out to 200yds without changing your hold over. Most shotguns hold 5+ 2 3/4" shells with some even going up to 8+ in tactical versions. Anything past 75yds with a smooth barrel and slugs and you're doing Kentucky windage with a prayer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflincher View Post
Benched it yesterday. BOOO!

With 4X scope, Foster slugs from Selier & Belot and Federal, KnockOut copy of Breneke and saboted steel from DDuplex, Monolith. Five rounds each.
Couldn't keep most on 14X14 inch target. Best was the Monolith, about a 12 inch verticle string.

I'll try shimming the barrel and shoot again, but for now, 50 yards is the maximum distance I'll shoot a shotgun slug for business, and no scope is necessary for me to do that.
Shimmed the Marlin, really cranked down on the action screws, got a rifled barrel for the Mossberg. Both still wearing 4X scopes. Was windy today, didn't get great groups at 100 yards, but promising results at 50 yards. Several slugs touching at that distance!

Have to wait for a calm day to return to the range. To be continued...
Old 12-09-2015, 01:34 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,349 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but for those who own/shoot slug guns, is there any specific advantage of a slug gun over a standard pump for non-hunting purposes? I understand it may be an option in areas that are highly regulated against ARs, AKs, etc., but does it do anything "better" that would justify its purchase?
For me, the rifle sights on a smooth bore slug barrel are the specific advantage. i prefer it over my bead barrels.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:20 PM

I use a Benelli Nova 18" smooth bore with ghost rings as my farm/defense gun. I'd guess you would say it is a slug gun - I load and carry Remington Sluggers as my standard here. The sights are zeroed at 50 yards. It is good for cougar/bear defense within 50 yards and for devastating center of mass hits on a man size target out to 100 yards. Obviously it can also fire buck and bird shot as required. A very useful firearm for my purposes.

If I thought that 100+ yard shots were necessary and likely, I would switch to a rifle.

A rifled barrel for the shotgun would give me a bit more range with sabot slugs. But they are too expensive for me to stock in any quantity and the barrel is far less effective for shot.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
A rifled barrel for the shotgun would give me a bit more range with sabot slugs.But they are too expensive for me to stock in any quantity
$4.00 a piece for the 20 gauge copper solids, the 2 deer we killed last week just cost us $8.00 and that ain't too bad
Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
$4.00 a piece for the 20 gauge copper solids, the 2 deer we killed last week just cost us $8.00 and that ain't too bad
how much did you spend finding a sabot load it liked , then sighting it in etc ???
Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
how much did you spend finding a sabot load it liked , then sighting it in etc ???
Therein lies a problem--you're not talking benchrest accuracy so why expect BR accuracy? As long as the various brands print to nearly the same POI you'll do fine.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,512 Times in 6,530 Posts

Quote:
No. Not really.

Slug guns shoot slugs accurately farther than most other shotguns. But they were developed for hunting in areas where centerfire rifles are not allowed.

For *non-hunting* purposes, a center fire rifle will do anything a slug gun will do, and reach a lot further out besides.

Just MHO. YMMV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
Well I cheated, got the gun used and the previous owner told me it liked copper solids We've tried Hornady and they shoot about the same but I really like the way the CS kill. Heart, lung, liver just gets shredded.