Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camping in Northern Minnesota FireResQ Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 54 11-03-2017 01:56 PM
Dispersed Camping Thattallguyjb Michigan 10 04-04-2017 01:31 PM
CA, Dispersed camping site suggestions? joshton DIY - Do It Yourself 2 04-04-2015 11:24 AM
Primitive/Dispersed Camping SoCal? _Brendon1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 12-07-2014 09:54 PM
dispersed camping in a tent near los angeles for a few months quadruplefugue Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 73 01-25-2014 04:30 PM
Dispersed Camping m3rl1n Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 02-09-2013 07:56 PM
Can hurricanes be weakened with plane loads of liquid nitrogen dispersed in the eye? tankman1989 General Discussion 21 11-06-2012 12:32 PM
BOL dispersed group siezes land for the group 45reloader Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 02-01-2012 08:28 PM
2011 Winter Camping Symposium Minnesota lonelake Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 10-16-2011 09:04 AM
AHH! So thats where dispersed Oil goes. Nasa Sat photo shows oil clouding 1/4 of Gulf KnowNothingNow Controversial News and Alternative Politics 6 05-04-2010 05:39 PM

Old 04-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Likes freedom

Default Dispersed camping in Minnesota

Advertise Here

I am trying to find some new places to dispersed camp in Minnesota. I know it is no fun to give away your favorite spots, but could anybody give me some general areas they go. We've camped on old logging roads in state forests, and it was a lot of fun (Savanah state forest). But are there other great tips anyone around MN or WI has?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to timesarechanging For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,063 Times in 2,944 Posts

Lots of places just off the Sawbill Trail out of Tofte.

North of Tofte and east of Finland just past the Trestle Inn are some great places to camp as well. PM me if you have questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Trestle Inn is West of Tofte and North of Finland. I enjoy camping at the USFS Whitefish Lake campground a little farther North. No water or electric, just a nice modern outhouse. Keep on going up the road and it gets real remote!! I've never been farther than Bone Lake. Farther than that you will need a high clearance all wheel drive vehicle that you don't mind scratches on the sides from branches. Eventually it comes back out to a main road I have heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Likes freedom

Great info!

What about the South side of Minnesota? Are the Mississippi Recreation areas and the Minnesota Valley Wildlife refuge available for dispersed camping? Also, does anybody know about Louisville Swamp?
Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,334 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesarechanging View Post
Great info!

What about the South side of Minnesota? Are the Mississippi Recreation areas and the Minnesota Valley Wildlife refuge available for dispersed camping? Also, does anybody know about Louisville Swamp?
There are some nice camping spots down and around Lanesboro along the Root River. Great Little Town too. Just be sure to keep a close eye out for those Timber Rattlers in the high grass along the river.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jager78 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 06:09 PM

Crap. You could camp for free at my place down by lake. Next to dnr public hunting land (a few hundred acres). Great canoeing if u have one or u can take my peddle boat. We have camped there with tent many years ago. I think our fire pit is still usable. As my family has grown up, we simply don't go down to lake anymore. My house sits in open field. Sorry no outhouse. But it truly is back in the woods,per se. Watching eagles snag a carp beats anything. Talk about quiet at nite, then noisy from birds in morn! Reply back if interested. 40 miles from mpls.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heirloomgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Do you have a canoe? Can you get one? Then it is easy.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomgirl View Post
Crap. You could camp for free at my place down by lake. Next to dnr public hunting land (a few hundred acres). Great canoeing if u have one or u can take my peddle boat. We have camped there with tent many years ago. I think our fire pit is still usable. As my family has grown up, we simply don't go down to lake anymore. My house sits in open field. Sorry no outhouse. But it truly is back in the woods,per se. Watching eagles snag a carp beats anything. Talk about quiet at nite, then noisy from birds in morn! Reply back if interested. 40 miles from mpls.
can I camp there?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:26 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Minn is a forested state with plenty of water and public land. Go north and it is easy to find plenty of dispersed camping.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Likes freedom

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager78 View Post
There are some nice camping spots down and around Lanesboro along the Root River. Great Little Town too. Just be sure to keep a close eye out for those Timber Rattlers in the high grass along the river.
Thanks for the tip. We ended up down there in November (hunting season) and it was amazing. We scouted it out in the late summer and besides Timber Rattlesnakes, you also had to watch out for wild parsnip and giant hogweed. It will cause burns and discoloration of the skin if you touch the plant and then expose the skin to sunlight.

But thank you so much for the tip. What an awesome place to be. The bluffs, the wildlife, and the trees were amazing!
Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,443 Times in 2,897 Posts

Anywhere up north works great for your purposes. I spent a month up in the boundary waters after I graduated in '84, that was awesome.

Or do a trip out on one of the Apostle Islands, another awesome experience. I used to do 2 weeks a year on one of the Islands during Duck season. It's a little easier for me since my family runs boats out of that area. I still have 2 weeks on Isle Royale on my bucket list.

Or anywhere in the Chequamegon National Forest. There are quite a few campgrounds that could be considered dispersed since they are so remote. Or just any place out there.

I love the north, not just since I was born and raised there, but other than mosquitoes and biting flies (which will literally eat you alive), there are very few rattlers up that way. I love camping up by Cornucopia, WI one week a year, where I can not worry about my dogs being bit by a rattler.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 06-27-2016 at 02:09 PM..
Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 PM

Please, I can't tell if when people are using the term dispersed they are talking about term for free camping in National Forests.
Some posts seem to be using the term for remote, which isn't always free.
Is most of Chequamegon free?
Thanks much,
Old 06-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,443 Times in 2,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote1031 View Post
Please, I can't tell if when people are using the term dispersed they are talking about term for free camping in National Forests.
Some posts seem to be using the term for remote, which isn't always free.
Is most of Chequamegon free?
Thanks much,
Some are some aren't. But there's plenty of places to camp for free. Don't get upset if people are being too general, your question is too general. The Chequamegon/Nicolet National Forest combined with the Apostle Islands take up a big portion of Northern Wisconsin, then when you add the public accessible timberland's, you have a huge area of land.

A really good trip, if you are looking for backpacking is the North Country trail. It crosses Northern Wisconsin around the Great Divide area (not to be confused with the Continental Divide). It might have a fee nowadays, but well worth it.

The problem is that when I grew up a lot of places were free. Nowadays, you need an access pass in some areas which seems ridiculous. But I have seen the huge influx of people from the Twin Cities which has had a big impact on otherwise wild areas, not too mention the price of real estate shooting through the roof. Not sure if I disagree with an access pass or not, if it wasn't for the fact that my family relies on tourist's for their income, I'd prefer they all stayed in MSP/St. Paul.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 06-30-2016 at 05:44 PM..
Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,811 Posts

You can camp for free at the various sites along the Superior Hiking Trail, but only for one night at a time. I haven't taken advantage of this since camping in one of the state parks has been more convenient for my purposes, but one of these days . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 11:22 PM

I intend to make a go of camping in Chengwatana MN state forest land soon. I can certainly post info and pics n such when the time comes. Its the closest state forest that I could find to the north of the twin cities. I have been told that you can stay at certain Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's) if you contact the appropriate local manager and get a permit. (the person I know that has stayed got his permit for both camping and hunting at different times of the year) I'd try some of the parks closer to the cities but affordability becomes a problem after awhile.

Last edited by darkknight9; 10-22-2016 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Wrong state forest name. Oops! :)
The Following User Says Thank You to darkknight9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 PM

Hi, I was wondering if my boys and I could camp at your place over memorial day weekend? Thank you! Terry Hansen
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Terry Hansen, yes, you can camp at my place. Email me your contact info at [email protected]
Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Get the hell off my lawn!

Does anyone know if you can camp on the shoreline of Lake Superior in Minnesota? I can't seem to find an answer to this on Google, just pay sites. Probably not setting up a tent but just sleeping in the truck.

I'm planning on heading up at the end of the month to do some Milky Way photography and prefer to be in an isolated area, where there are no issues with having my camera gear set up.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintex View Post
Does anyone know if you can camp on the shoreline of Lake Superior in Minnesota? I can't seem to find an answer to this on Google, just pay sites. Probably not setting up a tent but just sleeping in the truck.

I'm planning on heading up at the end of the month to do some Milky Way photography and prefer to be in an isolated area, where there are no issues with having my camera gear set up.
Probably not right on the shore on a vehicle, as most of the accessible spots are going to be either in state parks or on private property. There are some campsites near Split Rock Lighthouse that will put you darned near on the water, though.