Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rwanda Ebola monitoring anyone visiting from the U.S. Robot General Discussion 1 10-22-2014 11:29 AM
Visiting the Bitterroot Valley... MikeV Montana 7 08-27-2014 01:09 PM
Visiting heaven or hell Sgtlong63b Religious Discussion 32 04-07-2014 05:09 PM
Visiting AK. Big Blzn General Discussion 8 06-24-2013 11:09 PM
Catron County tax land sale Fepony DIY - Do It Yourself 1 06-29-2012 01:24 AM
Visiting KS-any tips? cityprep Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 04-08-2012 09:19 PM
visiting chernobyl ilb01 Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 13 10-12-2011 10:28 AM
Visiting Orphans MotherEarth Religious Discussion 0 12-08-2010 07:01 PM
Visiting others - Irony if SHTF partygirl Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 10-28-2009 10:02 PM
Visiting Southern Georgia or S. Alabama InquisitiveAussie Events, Connections and Get togethers 6 10-06-2009 11:38 PM

Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 PM

Default Visiting Catron County

Advertise Here

I'm planning to visit some land in the northeast corner of Catron county sometime this spring or summer and I'm looking for some weather-related advice. Since the land is many miles off the paved road I'd like to maximize my chances that the roads are in good conditions.

I'd like to visit in April but I'm worried the the roads will still be bad from the winter. I also don't want to go too late in the summer and hit the monsoons. It's a long drive and I need some lead time to take time off work, so I can't just wait to find out that the roads are good and head over. Any help improving my chances of a successful trip would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 PM

You gonna be up by Aragon? I think they have got a decent amount of snow, you may run into some drifts, and muddy roads depending where your going. For the most part we have had abnormally warm weather for the past month, most of the snow may be melted off by now.
The Following User Says Thank You to diesel7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the information! I'm going to be northeast of Pie Town, so not near Aragon and from the maps it looks like easier terrain. Hopefully the weather stays warm and things are good by April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 02:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,630 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorignak View Post
Thanks for the information! I'm going to be northeast of Pie Town, so not near Aragon and from the maps it looks like easier terrain. Hopefully the weather stays warm and things are good by April.
That's high desert. Scrub pine & pinion country. Altitude is between 6-7,000 feet. You can get blizzards in April or barbecue in January.

Most of the county roads are maintained. Get off those - you are on your own. Red dirt turns slimy with water.

Bring a 4 wheel drive & don't count on AAA to respond if you mess up.

You might want to talk to Phepony on here. He lives out that way - off grid. He's a good guy - and would probably come pull you out of a ditch. Maybe. But a contact worth making.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longhorngnu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 06:22 PM

That's good to know. I think most of the way from Pie Town to my destination won't be on county roads, so I'll be on the lookout for that. I'll definitely see if Fepony can offer any advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to gorignak For This Useful Post: