TV Set Recommendation - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,014 Posts

Advertise Here

I cheat......I have almost zero bandwidth at home so I download movies & TV shows from Netflix on my cell phone when I am at work (using their bandwidth). Then I "cast" the video & audio from my cell phone to my TV through a Google Chrome Cast device that uses none of my limited bandwidth.

After viewing, I just delete the downloaded content from my cell phone (or I can let Netflix expire it too). It works great and doesn't cost me any of my limited internet cap.

Mark
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,579 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
I cheat......I have almost zero bandwidth at home so I download movies & TV shows from Netflix on my cell phone when I am at work (using their bandwidth). Then I "cast" the video & audio from my cell phone to my TV through a Google Chrome Cast device that uses none of my limited bandwidth.

After viewing, I just delete the downloaded content from my cell phone (or I can let Netflix expire it too). It works great and doesn't cost me any of my limited internet cap.

Mark
you can do the same thing with an android box, and instead of casting it, you can just run it into a clonerbox and make a permanent copy to watch anytime, anywhere, on anything...even burn to DVD if you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungatim View Post
you can do the same thing with an android box, and instead of casting it, you can just run it into a clonerbox and make a permanent copy to watch anytime, anywhere, on anything...even burn to DVD if you want.
Do you have any brand name recommendations?? I would love to be able to keep (burn to DVD) some of the things I download through Netflix but they always expire after a time.

Mark
Old 10-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,579 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
Do you have any brand name recommendations?? I would love to be able to keep (burn to DVD) some of the things I download through Netflix but they always expire after a time.

Mark
I recommend this:
https://www.amazon.com/HDML-Cloner-S...s%2C161&sr=8-1

It comes with the software to edit the files, combine the files, burn to DVD, etc. I have 2 of these, one fed by an android box, one fed by a firestick.

I have a cheapo brand that is only $60 made more for recording video games but works the same way but the cheapo ones are less robust, no software, and audio can be screwy, so I don't use it. definitely worth spending a bit more for the HDML cloner box evolve in the link. they've been around a while and support is awesome if you lose the software key or they upgrade or whatever...they make a higher end model as well but not worth the extra $ IMO, just adds a few features like playback which you don't need unless you just want to run the box straight to the tv, but if you are recording to save the files for burning or a media server, then you'd just play back on the computer, a media server, or pop the drive into your tv USB slot...so I say save the money and buy the evolve model.

I use thumbdrives but you can put a portable drive on it if you want, I do 1080p HD but you can drop to 720p as well and it really doesn't seem to have a difference in video quality. I actually think it upconverts everything...
The Following User Says Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,194 Times in 6,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
J How does Roku make any money?
They sell $10 worth of hardware for $49....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Anyway, sounds like Roku is a stick plugged into the USB port. I'm wondering if it will work, given my set is older. I currently have a streaming/Internet stick plugged in to the USB. That's how it works, but Netflix is still dropping it.
It will work. My TV is about 8 years old. We have fiber to the houses here, so I can have two TV's streaming, my son's high end PC running Steam games, and my iPad all working at once, with no lag, no issues.

Pro tip...you don't HAVE to pay for Netflix, there are a lot of free services out there. I do Netflix and Hulu, I feel I get my money's worth out of them.

But I also do the various state college's channels, a "sort of" local streamed channel that does some hunting, local HS sports, and community interest stuff, plus a few of the national freebies.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,137 Times in 2,315 Posts

I run Netflix from various different computers to tv's, why buy a new tv?

As long as your computer can output to the screen of it then you can run Netflix on it. I am running an ancient monitor with svideo from a computer and I am able to run Netflix on it no problem. I can also run that one from a blueray player that I have without a computer as the blueray can run Netflix and whatnot through it's wireless connection.

Adapt and overcome.... and save your money for something actually useful...
Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 AM

I am using firestick on my smart tv. For watching movies and tv shows i use Netflix, HBO and some third parties apps on my smart tv. As you mentioned above there is no need to buy new tv and firestick if you can cast or mirror Netflix on your pc or TV. But netflix only provided movies and tv series, what about if you want to watch Live sports like UFC, NFL? You can't stream on Netflix. I am using amazon firestick on my smar Tv for last 2 years and its working great. you don't need to pay extra to watch sports, movies and tv shows just installed some popular live tv apps using filelinked codes and you are good to Go!
I have cut the cable and i am happy now with my firestick. it is just my opinion guys. Don't mind guys!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,188 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungatim View Post
that is why I would never buy a smart tv to begin with, you are always better off with a separate "smart" device and a regular tv if you don't want to deal with out of support apps.
It is actually quite hard to find non-smart tv these days

Last year I bought 4K HDR 43" TV to use as a monitor for my gaming PC, the one I selected is also android-powered smart tv so it can install pretty much same apps as any phone or tablet. Android TV's also have 4K Chromecast Ultra built-in (worth like 80 if bought separately). For a 399 TV it is pretty capable one.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,583 Times in 5,676 Posts

A Blue-ray player is $60.