Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older 40 x 400 chicken house on possible homestead property Bellyman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 06-10-2017 11:21 AM
Property tips Red Dirt Walker Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 05-09-2017 08:18 PM
Soros and Dems trying to lower voting age to 16 Justme11 Political News and Discussion 109 03-29-2017 07:10 AM
What to do with people on your land? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 72 01-29-2017 08:29 PM
This Thanksgiving let's think of the Pilgrims and private property rights RKW General Discussion 2 11-23-2016 02:33 PM

Old 10-31-2019, 08:52 AM
read more, post less

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Is teddy related to Wyatt?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
No, my first name is Ted and several years (gosh ages) ago right after Tombstone came out, I went about on a Halloween with boots, a cowboy hat, and a six shooter on. Knocked on a buddy's door and when he opened it, he said, "Hey look, it's teddyearp!"
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 03:57 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,295 Times in 3,726 Posts

Was 5 degrees at 0600 this morning but sunny and calm.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Semper Fi

Was reading back through the thread and was reminded I hadn't seen the Prius drive past in quite a while. I wonder if they gave up and moved out or simply wised up and bought a more appropriate vehicle.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Prepared

A Prius really doesn't belong out here, LOL. I found someone to hammer the car back into shape. It looks almost like nothing ever happened. Next time it gets that windy, I'm keeping a better grip on that door!

The weather's supposed to be nicer this week, so I'm hoping to get a little outdoor painting done. And I want to get an electrical line run out to the well house for the heat tape that's wrapped around a pipe. Right now I'm using a long extension cord. I've heard that wells can freeze up when it gets too cold out.
The Following User Says Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
A Prius really doesn't belong out here, LOL. I found someone to hammer the car back into shape. It looks almost like nothing ever happened. Next time it gets that windy, I'm keeping a better grip on that door!

The weather's supposed to be nicer this week, so I'm hoping to get a little outdoor painting done. And I want to get an electrical line run out to the well house for the heat tape that's wrapped around a pipe. Right now I'm using a long extension cord. I've heard that wells can freeze up when it gets too cold out.
Well it was probably one of those hipster back-to-nature types and it's not just Priuses that are an issue. Many of those AWD cute-utes end up stuck once the dirt roads get sloppy. A friend of mine has an AWD Honda Element and it is getting beat to crap as he hunts for a truck he can afford.

Glad to hear the car is good to go.

The well won't freeze (unless they didn't use a pitless setup) but the exposed pipes in your well house can. So you definitely want a source of heat and to insulate the walls/ceiling if not already done. If they didn't bury the water line to house deep enough or insulate the pipes under the house you can have freeze issues there as well.

Your well house doesn't have a 110V outlet? My pump is 220 but there is a 110 line off the pump's panel going to the outlet and a light.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Prepared

It has an outlet box, but it's not working. The electrician said it would be easier to run a new line since there's already a rope through the conduit that they can use to do that, rather than spend hours trying to find a break somewhere.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
It has an outlet box, but it's not working. The electrician said it would be easier to run a new line since there's already a rope through the conduit that they can use to do that, rather than spend hours trying to find a break somewhere.
Ah okay that makes sense then. I had mistakenly thought you were trenching in an entirely new line.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
South Korea

I looked at demographics the other day and I believe she might possibly be the only Asian in St Johns.
Does S--n make kimchi? It's one of the healthiest foods in the world. My BIL's wife was Korean and she taught my wife how to make kimchi and bulgogi. I am not very good at it, edible but I just don't have the touch. Grocery store has kimchi, but not the same.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Does S--n make kimchi? It's one of the healthiest foods in the world. My BIL's wife was Korean and she taught my wife how to make kimchi and bulgogi. I am not very good at it, edible but I just don't have the touch. Grocery store has kimchi, but not the same.
Stalking and letting me know you dug up my wife's name or what?

I don't know about how healthy it is, as it's just spiced fermented cabbage (though there are several other varieties made with daikon, greens, water, etc) but yes she makes it along with every other Korean dish.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Stalking and letting me know you dug up my wife's name or what?

I don't know about how healthy it is, as it's just spiced fermented cabbage (though there are several other varieties made with daikon, greens, water, etc) but yes she makes it along with every other Korean dish.
Check this article,

https://www.health.com/health/articl...410300,00.html

Also, when my wife had any digestion problems she would go for the kimchi.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Semper Fi

Had rain off and on since early this morning and now it is pouring with high winds and some hail mixed in.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 AM
read more, post less

Another 'gift' from your neighbors to the west, lol. Though I didn't get the hail.
The Following User Says Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Prepared

I had that same weather, too. It hit right after I finished replacing a window on the porch that the wind blew down and broke.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Was reading back through the thread and was reminded I hadn't seen the Prius drive past in quite a while. I wonder if they gave up and moved out or simply wised up and bought a more appropriate vehicle.
It seems that the psuedo-environmentalists are all giving up on the Prius as a status symbol and are buying the Subaru's now. In Pinetop Lakeside you can't swing a cat without hitting a tourist or a cat lady in some kind of Subaru.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eleven11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
It seems that the psuedo-environmentalists are all giving up on the Prius as a status symbol and are buying the Subaru's now. In Pinetop Lakeside you can't swing a cat without hitting a tourist or a cat lady in some kind of Subaru.
Back in CA out in the desert (Landers, Joshua Tree, etc) it was all lesbians in Subarus. A friend of mine bought an AWD Escape instead of a Subaru due to that.

The area had become "trendy" and housing prices shot UP because of that. They also bought out the the local drinking establishments and you suddenly couldn't go out to eat anymore without a reservation. To say nothing of the greatly increased costs.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:23 PM
read more, post less

When I was stuck in western WA state for a time, it was trendy to drive a Prius. They knew it was more expensive and no real carbon savings, so to make up for it, they'd always drive 5-10 mph under the speed limit. Especially on the cross state two lane highways where they could back up at least five to ten cars to make their statement.

The Seattle Subaru would go out and plant a tree for you for every test drive. Ever see the forests of western WA? They make the crowded ASNF look barren.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
When I was stuck in western WA state for a time, it was trendy to drive a Prius. They knew it was more expensive and no real carbon savings, so to make up for it, they'd always drive 5-10 mph under the speed limit. Especially on the cross state two lane highways where they could back up at least five to ten cars to make their statement.

The Seattle Subaru would go out and plant a tree for you for every test drive. Ever see the forests of western WA? They make the crowded ASNF look barren.
Yep and with the "save the trees" version of what passes for forest management now days, they are all just waiting for the right spark to burn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Semper Fi

Well the seller decided he would come down in price so we are doing the paperwork to buy the 36 acres next to ours and should close on the 4th of Dec. This will double the size of our property to 72 acres.

We paid a bit more then it was worth but it was worth it to us to keep from having a neighbor that close. As while the property has several good places to situate a house, the cheapest route for power is to piggyback off our pole. Which means any house would most likely have been built just a few hundred feet from ours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 09:43 AM
read more, post less

Quote:
Well the seller decided he would come down in price so we are doing the paperwork to buy the 36 acres next to ours and should close on the 4th of Dec. This will double the size of our property to 72 acres.

We paid a bit more then it was worth but it was worth it to us to keep from having a neighbor that close. As while the property has several good places to situate a house, the cheapest route for power is to piggyback off our pole. Which means any house would most likely have been built just a few hundred feet from ours.
Nice! More letters, Nice is too short.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Prepared

Great, Steve! Congratulations!