Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-03-2020, 09:54 PM
Target Shooter

Default Austin area shooting ranges.

Advertise Here

Anyone know of any decent ranges in or around Austin? I really liked best of the west but they closed. All of the indoor ranges require you to change bays to shoot rifle v. pistol. Shady Oaks I liked but they have recently built a new rifle range and now require you to go to a separate building for rifle. Ive been to The Range not a fan they also require changing bays. Lone star Range in Lockhart is the only place I know of that doesnt require a change to shoot different guns.

I have been told of a range that is actually free to veterans near buy but thats about all i can get info wise, its private supposedly.

They are opening a new indoor range called Shoot Point Blank in round rock but there are no details on that as of yet.

I have been looking into The Firing Line in Williamson county but that requires a membership. Im debating if its worth the $325 a year. I have no idea how busy it can be there they want you to make reservations. that is not too big of a deal for me since Im off Mondays and Tuesdays when everyone else is working.

I dont know anyone that has shootable land. There The Texas Tactical Training Institute but i believe you have to take a class to use their facilties.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2020, 09:47 PM
More Equal?

There is that range/club that is supposed to be real nice on I35 just north of Slaughter Ln on the north bound frontage.

I have my own land now so I don't have to go to a range any longer.

But, prior to that I always went to a range called Eagle Peak. It is way up in Leander and I was in Circle C but worth the drive. Nice pro shop, at the time a nice old dude ran it. The range was clean and shaded. They had pistol, rifle, long range, and a cool skeet and full of fun so to speak shot gun course!

http://eaglepeakshootingrange.com/welcome.htm
Old 01-09-2020, 10:49 AM
Deplorable Me

Thanked 1,342 Times in 362 Posts

There is Copperhead Creek Shooting Club but it is out in Marble Falls. It does have tactical bays.

https://www.copperheadclub.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to lanman_cw For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Target Shooter

Copperhead creek looks pretty good. ill have to check that one out.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:13 AM
More Equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanman_cw View Post
There is Copperhead Creek Shooting Club but it is out in Marble Falls. It does have tactical bays.

https://www.copperheadclub.com/
Wow, this place looks nice. If I didn't have my own place I'd probably go here as well as Eagle Peak. EP doesn't have draw from holster, tactical. They don't have 600 yard either, but where I hunt or actually anything I do would never require me to take a 600 yard shot. But then again, it nice that they have it as everyones got their own interests.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:41 PM
Target Shooter

The firing line http://texasfiringline.com/ has tactical bay 25,50 and 100yrd ranges. Its members only so no in experienced RSOs bothering you, you sign in and go shoot. I just know know if I want to pay $360 for just me or $525 for the family.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:32 PM
More Equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273andme View Post
The firing line http://texasfiringline.com/ has tactical bay 25,50 and 100yrd ranges. Its members only so no in experienced RSOs bothering you, you sign in and go shoot. I just know know if I want to pay $360 for just me or $525 for the family.
Dang this looks nice too! I've owned my own ranch now since 2007 and back then the only place was Red's and newly opened Eagle Peak! For the folks that don't have land (yet) these are great options.

The big thing I miss about Eagle Peak and probably these places too, out at my place there is no one to chat and socialize with in the bay next to me.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 PM
Target Shooter

Im sure there are plenty of people that wouldnt my socializing and chatting if you let them use your space lol.

Reds in pflugerville sucks I hate going there RSOs are idiots and i feel judged ,maybe since I dont go shoot every week not sure why I havent been to their south location.

I like shady oaks but ever since they built their rifle range you can no longer shoot rifle and pistol in the the same building let alone bay, so thats a no for me.

Lone star range is nice but the multi-use range is small and gets crowded pretty quickly.

still waiting on more info on shoot point blank opening in round rock i called they told me mid January but doesnt look close to ready from the outside.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 AM
More Equal?

People shooting at my place. Maybe, until I know the people opsec is an issue. I have family and a few friends that come out but that's about it.

At one of my places I sell hog hunts but I require you have a LTC.

It's amazing how many ranges have popped up, and in such a heavily populated blue county. Your experience with Red's I completely agree with. That is why when I lived in Circle C I drove virtually right past the Red's to drive 45 more minutes to get to Eagle Peak. It just goes to show how free enterprise/market works. Someone will find a way to do it better, which helps the consumer.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:21 PM
Target Shooter

I agree with OPSEC concerns. Id like to find someone that has a hog problem that will just let me help them out them lol.

Austin is a bit liberal so I am surprised at the ranges popping up. I dont mind driving for a good range experience my go to range was best of the west but that has since closed due to liberals. there was a guy that use to work with me that owned a range I never got to use it he was let go,I have his number but feel awkward calling him now
Old 04-01-2020, 03:21 PM

The Range at Austin is now open 10a to 4p for retail and shooting. I've been happy with the staff and facility since I started going there a couple of months ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elisavaet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Target Shooter

meh, not impressed with that place the people who work there. I dont need all the extra, looks cool tho and lots of things to see. I wont be returning unless someone else is paying.

shoot point blank finally opened in round rock. I have no complaints. though they did close their range last week due to covid, retail is still open and no price gauging.