Is it possible to prove the existence of God? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Keyzer Soze's Avatar
Keyzer Soze Keyzer Soze is offline
Автомат Калашникова
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,480
Thanks: 1,139
Thanked 893 Times in 535 Posts
Default Is it possible to prove the existence of God?



Advertise Here

If so, by what means?

If not, why not?

For believers only.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keyzer Soze For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Basic Human Unit's Avatar
Basic Human Unit Basic Human Unit is online now
Retrofitted Sheeple
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,580
Thanks: 67,490
Thanked 72,074 Times in 19,412 Posts
Default

To yourself? Yes. All you have to do is die.

To other people? Unlikely. I think if God intended to provide sufficient empirical evidence of His existence to qualify as absolute proof, He would have done it by now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM
AlgoRhythms's Avatar
AlgoRhythms AlgoRhythms is offline
Old Noob
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pennsylvania woodlands or the Southwest desert
Posts: 6,932
Thanks: 4,418
Thanked 9,422 Times in 3,861 Posts
Default

Before answering your question in a meaningful way, its necessary to know what "proof" means, as it could have several meanings. So, you have to ask, what would you consider acceptable as proof? Different people will have different answers.

A mathematical proof is far more precise than what is accepted in a court of law as a proof.

The former relies on the acceptance of axioms or first principles and draws formal, logical conclusions. The latter relies primarily on evidence presented in a systematic manner according to the rules of the court and the laws of the land.

These are quite different.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 PM
beaner beaner is offline
The world is my urinal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,412
Thanks: 1,704
Thanked 4,306 Times in 1,113 Posts
Default

There is a good book called The Case for Christ that asks that question and offers as much proof as anything else I have ever read.

What I have learned for myself is God wants people to turn to him by their own choice based on faith. So to a person with faith, they will answer yes. Likewise to a person without, they will say no or they need proof. IMHO I don't think God is going to do more than he already has for proof as there will always need to be a decision based on faith for a relationship with him.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Batko10's Avatar
Batko10 Batko10 is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,195
Thanks: 12,120
Thanked 13,903 Times in 3,265 Posts
Default

Neither the existence, nor the non-existence of G-d can be empirically proved.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 PM
A_SonofLiberty's Avatar
A_SonofLiberty A_SonofLiberty is online now
No Longer Rambling
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: In Flux
Posts: 2,674
Thanks: 10,871
Thanked 9,031 Times in 2,171 Posts
Default

We are not supposed to have proof. Proof negates the need for faith. God wants us to have faith in him.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 PM
OhioMan's Avatar
OhioMan OhioMan is online now
It's ok to be white
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 31,976
Thanks: 89,488
Thanked 90,457 Times in 23,883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
If so, by what means?

If not, why not?

For believers only.
Yes, I believe you can.

We will never be able to place God in one our test tubes or under our microscopes and expect to find His existence, only His amazing handiwork.

God is spirit and must be found in the spirit. It is clear within scripture He has given us free will. We can fully reject Him and live a life without Him. But like any other father, He has a strong desire to have a relationship with His children. He has not left us fatherless by any means.

We are assured (Jer 29:13) You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Each of us has a mustard seed of faith, measured to us before we were born.

God loves us because he chooses to love us in spite of our failures. He loved us while we were still sinners, (Romans 5:8) and he will never stop loving us.
__________________
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Kansas Terri Kansas Terri is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,737
Thanks: 8,631
Thanked 13,558 Times in 5,215 Posts
Default

To prove it to myself was easy: I asked Him and He answered.

To prove the existence of God to somebody else? I do not see how THAT could be done!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 PM
AlgoRhythms's Avatar
AlgoRhythms AlgoRhythms is offline
Old Noob
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pennsylvania woodlands or the Southwest desert
Posts: 6,932
Thanks: 4,418
Thanked 9,422 Times in 3,861 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
Neither the existence, nor the non-existence of G-d can be empirically proved.

I'm inclined to agree with you.


That's what faith is for. (I think...)
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Keyzer Soze's Avatar
Keyzer Soze Keyzer Soze is offline
Автомат Калашникова
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,480
Thanks: 1,139
Thanked 893 Times in 535 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythms View Post
Before answering your question in a meaningful way, its necessary to know what "proof" means, as it could have several meanings. So, you have to ask, what would you consider acceptable as proof? Different people will have different answers.

A mathematical proof is far more precise than what is accepted in a court of law as a proof.

The former relies on the acceptance of axioms or first principles and draws formal, logical conclusions. The latter relies primarily on evidence presented in a systematic manner according to the rules of the court and the laws of the land.

These are quite different.
Thanks for the response. No need to convince me. No wrong answers either. Go ahead and brief out whatever evidence you think would be sufficient to convince an imaginary agnostic in 2019.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Keyzer Soze For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Keyzer Soze's Avatar
Keyzer Soze Keyzer Soze is offline
Автомат Калашникова
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,480
Thanks: 1,139
Thanked 893 Times in 535 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
Neither the existence, nor the non-existence of G-d can be empirically proved.
Care to expand on that?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Keyzer Soze For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Keyzer Soze's Avatar
Keyzer Soze Keyzer Soze is offline
Автомат Калашникова
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,480
Thanks: 1,139
Thanked 893 Times in 535 Posts
Default

No need to limited responses to exclusively empirical proofs. If there is any persuasive point or argument, let's get it on the table.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Keyzer Soze For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:08 PM
AlgoRhythms's Avatar
AlgoRhythms AlgoRhythms is offline
Old Noob
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pennsylvania woodlands or the Southwest desert
Posts: 6,932
Thanks: 4,418
Thanked 9,422 Times in 3,861 Posts
Default

God is perfect.
Existence is more perfect than non-existence.
Therefore, God exists.


QED
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:44 PM
hawk55732's Avatar
hawk55732 hawk55732 is offline
The Hawks Nest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,005
Thanks: 12,316
Thanked 22,391 Times in 8,107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythms View Post
God is perfect.
Existence is more perfect than non-existence.
Therefore, God exists.


QED
For your argument to be valid one would first have to be able to prove God exists. How else can you prove that He is perfect.
__________________
Father, husband, son, Marine.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Sloth's Avatar
Sloth Sloth is offline
Layman
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,445
Thanks: 3,124
Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,351 Posts
Default

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 PM
esheldon esheldon is offline
His Disciple
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 4,235
Thanks: 6,118
Thanked 7,228 Times in 3,040 Posts
Default

Don't need to, my faith tells me HE IS real.
If you have to ask for proof, well...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 AM
AlgoRhythms's Avatar
AlgoRhythms AlgoRhythms is offline
Old Noob
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pennsylvania woodlands or the Southwest desert
Posts: 6,932
Thanks: 4,418
Thanked 9,422 Times in 3,861 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
For your argument to be valid one would first have to be able to prove God exists. How else can you prove that He is perfect.
If there is a God, then He would have to be perfect as perfection is an attribute of God. And existence is an attribute of perfection. And things that exist are more perfect than things that don't. Therefore...

But your 100% right, it's a circular argument.

However, this kind of reasoning is found in most of the proofs I've seen.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 AM
The_Sentinel's Avatar
The_Sentinel The_Sentinel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 46
Thanks: 41
Thanked 105 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I see the proof of the existence of God every single day and in many different ways, places, and faces. Much of that proof being experiential through signs and miracles. However one cannot see or accept "proof", no matter how incontrovertible, if they are unwilling.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Sentinel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 11:30 AM
ForgedInTheFlame's Avatar
ForgedInTheFlame ForgedInTheFlame is online now
Fix Bayonets!
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4,650
Thanks: 17,143
Thanked 7,018 Times in 3,100 Posts
Default

In the way that a non believer would expect, no.

I believe in empirical evidence for all things in this world outside of religion, so I don't blame skepticism.

I also believe however that faith is a strength, not a weakness nor flaw in reasoning or logic.

I know he exists because I have felt him. Can I prove this to someone else? Nope. Don't care to either. God asks for faith from the individual, and I have it. Can care less what the next man says about it. True faith is like a rock, unshakeable. And just like if some random person asked me to prove my military service, if someone asks me to prove God exists, I'd laugh and shrug it off. You simply aren't ready for that relationship with him, and it's not my job to do anything for you or prove anything to you.



Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 PM
ajole ajole is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,025
Thanks: 7,024
Thanked 19,934 Times in 6,437 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
Thanks for the response. No need to convince me. No wrong answers either. Go ahead and brief out whatever evidence you think would be sufficient to convince an imaginary agnostic in 2019.
No such evidence or argument. It always comes down to one person that gets on their knees and tries to talk to their Heavenly Father.

They receive an answer they can feel and have faith in, or they donít feel it, for whatever reason. That reason is tied to them, not to God.

Thatís honestly the only way, IMHO.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net