Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting into DIY auto repair as a complete beginner have_pen_will_travel DIY - Do It Yourself 77 Yesterday 09:31 AM
Need pistol advise.. Revolver or semi-auto? MH12194 Pistol and Revolver Forum 53 10-12-2019 09:47 PM
Basic Auto Maintenance and Repair Tools Mr. Yetimode DIY - Do It Yourself 22 05-31-2016 11:33 PM
PPU .380 Auto 94 grain FMJ 50 rounds - $14.43 (Free S/H NO minimum) apps47inc For Sale 0 12-13-2014 09:07 AM
Federal Auto Match .22 LR 40-Gr. LRN 325 Rnds - $17.99 (FREE S/H over $49) apps47inc For Sale 1 11-19-2014 08:53 PM
Federal Auto Match .22 LR 40-Gr. LRN 325 Rnds - $17.99 (Limit 1) - FREE S/H over $99 apps47inc For Sale 0 08-22-2014 08:17 PM
Herter's .380 Auto - 91 Grain - FMJ - 50rds - $11.88 + Free Shipping over $99 apps47inc For Sale 0 05-21-2012 01:38 PM
.45 Auto 230 gr RN 1000 Rounds - RELOADED - $280 + Free S/H to UT, NV, CA apps47inc For Sale 0 05-19-2012 04:11 PM
Alice Pack Kidney Pad Repair, Field Repair CJL Enterprize Sam Dawson silversam1 DIY - Do It Yourself 0 05-03-2012 10:48 AM

Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,573 Times in 851 Posts

Advertise Here

I'll take stab at this but I'm not a mechanic. Fuel filter or injection pump. Hope that it's the fuel filter. Diesel grows stuff/algae in your tank. Also, if you ran any biodiesel in your car, it is like a solvent and strips that stuff off your tank walls. When was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 02:35 PM

I have a 2001 jeep wrangler 6cyl. last night it started missing and gave po306 code(cyl 6 misfire) I changed plugs this morning but still missing and giving same code , I listened to each injector with a stethoscope and they all make the same ''ticking'' noise,also, I got a cyl.3 misfire code a few days ago,just looking for any advice. Thanks in advance
Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 AM

sorry for the super late reply,.,.. jetta had a bad catalytic converter... bypassed it and all is well again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Target Shooter

I sent this to reed but perhaps someone else can help me out too?

I have been having a problem RV. Its a 1999 Chevy 3500 chassis with the 5.3 vortech v8 in it.. It has a strange issue where when going up hills, it will loose power and the engine maintenance light comes on. Once at the top of the hill it would all of the sudden regain power (sometimes) and accelerate again as normal. I bought a code reader and it was throwing codes indicating the O2 sensors were the trouble. I replaced them both and it still did it. Now it is saying misfire for the same issue... The funny thing is, if I clear the code WHILE I am driving up a hill the power comes back instantly until it happens again or I get to the top of the hill. It seem worse when towing, so it may have something to do with engine load or fuel demand? I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel filter relay just trying to throw new parts at the problem... Any clue what may be going on and how I can fix it?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
MacGyver

I M. A.S.E. Master certified, and Master certified with Ford motor company, so if you need any help Reed, I would love to help out. I haven't done it in a few years since my motorcycle accident, but my mind is still sharp, and it would give me something to do.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
MacGyver

I would check your fuel filter. First, because it does sound like you have a problem with your pressure. Hopefully it's not your pump.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM
MacGyver

check your ignition system ,because it does sound like you have a plug wire or boot breaking down and shorting to ground.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 PM
MacGyver

what is your problem with your 2.9 L Ford?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
MacGyver

why do they want to replace the transmission, it is common for the slave cylinder to go out, which causes shifting problems with the transmission. To me it sounds like you're getting ripped off.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
MacGyver

sounds like the speed sensor or the gear is worn out. Inside the transmission for the speed sensor.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 PM
MacGyver

in order to tighten the nut on the joint that you just replaced, give it a tap on the bottom to lock it back into the steering linkage. that will help wedge it in tight to keep the shaft from turning.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Great to hear the ASE mechanics offering their help. Where I live if you have a library card you have internet access to the Auto Repair Reference Center web site that's model specific with tech bulletins, procedures & diagrams.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I love this forum

I have a question. I washed the 22re engine on my '87 Toyota truck. I really got it wet. It started and ran fine afterwards. The next day I went to start it and the battery was completely dead. I've never seen a battery this dead lol. Could it have been from the water shorting something out? Thanks much
Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 AM
I love this forum

Well, turned out to be a bad alternator. I put a new one on today and all is well.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Mentally lost....

Thanked 1,101 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcricket View Post
I have a 2001 jeep wrangler 6cyl. last night it started missing and gave po306 code(cyl 6 misfire) I changed plugs this morning but still missing and giving same code , I listened to each injector with a stethoscope and they all make the same ''ticking'' noise,also, I got a cyl.3 misfire code a few days ago,just looking for any advice. Thanks in advance

If you clear it a few times and it keeps coming back on the same cylinders
- Idk if you have one coil pack with wires or coil-on plug style coils. If they are coil on the plug style, mark cylinder 6 and move it to another position, see if it sets the same code for cylinder 6, if it follows whatever cylinder you placed it in, its the coil that is defective. If it stays on cylinder 6 it could be mechanical issues. Seek a mechanic.

If its a single coil pack with indivual coil packs on it, and wiring going to each cylinder, see if 3 and 6 are on the same coil pack block. There are 2 per block, 3 and 6 might be same block, its likely the coil pack.

If any noise is heard from cylinder 6 area, this is also good indication its a mechanical issue. But likely a coil pack

Also possible
Plug wires
Bad Ground
Possibly has a distributor? check the cap and rotor?

GL friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to twowong4words For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Mentally lost....

Quote:
Originally Posted by emclo View Post
I sent this to reed but perhaps someone else can help me out too?

I have been having a problem RV. Its a 1999 Chevy 3500 chassis with the 5.3 vortech v8 in it.. It has a strange issue where when going up hills, it will loose power and the engine maintenance light comes on. Once at the top of the hill it would all of the sudden regain power (sometimes) and accelerate again as normal. I bought a code reader and it was throwing codes indicating the O2 sensors were the trouble. I replaced them both and it still did it. Now it is saying misfire for the same issue... The funny thing is, if I clear the code WHILE I am driving up a hill the power comes back instantly until it happens again or I get to the top of the hill. It seem worse when towing, so it may have something to do with engine load or fuel demand? I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel filter relay just trying to throw new parts at the problem... Any clue what may be going on and how I can fix it?
Does the car regain power AND stop misfiring after clearing the codes while climbing a hill?
I believe the 1999 has a mass air flow(MAF) sensor in the intake piping. It should be right after the air filter, before the throttle body, 4-5 wire connector.
Carefully remove this and visually inspect the small element in the protrusion into the middle of the MAF.

It might have fibers or small fuzz peices on the wire. Even if not, try this, AND READ THIS AND DO IT EXACTLY or you WILL mess up your air flow meter.

Get a can of NON-CHLORINATED break cleaner from you local auto store, Holding the MAF so the protrusion is hanging DOWN from the top, the sensor w/ the connector will be up top. This is to keep the spray from trickling into the MAF sensors electronics. Spray for 1-2 seconds on the small element/wire inside the MAF. DO NOT TOUCH OR WIPE W/ ANYTHING. Let it dry(20-40sec), reinstall the sensor. check your air filter. If its bad, stuff will pass it and get onto the sensor again.

What happens is the wire gets stuff on it, changes its ability to read how much air is passing over it, so it sets false values, the car adjusts the fuel trim to meet the *usually* "extra" air it thinks its getting, which makes the system run pig rich and set the check engine light and something called limp mode. Limp mode usually sets when it thinks the output of raw fuel is going to damage your catalytic converter. When you clear it, it just clears the limp mode. But not the real problem. If this works even temporarily for a few drives, youll know at least its the MAF.

This is only a suggestion and insight to car power train strategies, based on experiences ive had with this motor.

Might not be this but this is a cheap easy check/fix to try before replacing parts. The fact you've replaced the o2 sensors it says are the issue and its only going into limp mode meaning its not actually incurring a mechanically induced powerless makes me think its the system realizing its getting bad inputs for the intake charge coming into the motor. Check it out. GL

PS dont drive it too much resetting the limp mode.. if it is dumping raw fuel into the exhaust, it will be fuel for the catalytic converter which is already operating around something like 1100-1600 degrees to burn impurities out. Dump fuel down it and it will burn up, weld solid and plug the exhaust if it gets too hot,
The Following User Says Thank You to twowong4words For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Mentally lost....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladieu View Post
2000 jetta TDI with Automatic Transmission I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot this at all as it happened just last night when I was driving home from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh. I was hoping you guys could help me identify what might be wrong with my TDI on a recent trip: - check engine light came on - no power on hills. I was driving through the mountains of west virginia and was barely able to go 40mph on most hills. RPMs were around 3000 with the pedal on the floor. It didn't sound like it was in too high a gear (I used to drive a manual so I am in tune with those sounds) - shifting is eratic at best, if I lay off the gas I can get it to shift

Still doing it? get the check engine light scanned, its kinda pointless to try to figure this out w/o the check engine light info. If you get on it and hear a LOUDER then normal hiss when the turbo starts spooling up, you may have a boost leak. A hose clamp or hose split between the turbo and the inter cooler up front. But the check engine light would be best to help fix this one.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 32,083 Times in 13,399 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Bumpity bump
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,901 Posts

well sir, I bet you would like working on my willys,,,,,,,260 V8, with pacer front end and ford drive line or my ole 235 inline Yeah I like the older stuff and leave the modern stuff absolutly alone
Old 10-22-2010, 02:10 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53convert View Post
well sir, I bet you would like working on my willys,,,,,,,260 V8, with pacer front end and ford drive line or my ole 235 inline Yeah I like the older stuff and leave the modern stuff absolutly alone
You got the jeep, land cruiser or coupe?