Leather and Kydex Sheath Makers - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rambler pack strap for hatchet/axe, Mora Bushcraft leather sheath, Fiskars leather paracordist Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 04-23-2014 06:59 AM
leather (or kydex) IWB holster for G17 FosterEDC Pistol and Revolver Forum 11 04-21-2014 10:28 PM
Any sheath makers around? Xi Bowhunter Knives, Swords & Axes 9 01-15-2014 11:09 AM
Bought some Kydex and Leather..... surge223 DIY - Do It Yourself 7 02-28-2013 08:19 AM
My First Kydex Sheath Build! Jungleboy Knives, Swords & Axes 21 01-18-2012 02:21 PM
Leather and Kydex Horizontal Sheath nmtracker DIY - Do It Yourself 5 12-25-2011 09:07 AM
I need a leather sheath for my Rat 7 will trade for sheath bigbill1989022 Knives, Swords & Axes 1 02-18-2011 12:23 AM
How to make a kydex sheath. sluggyslugworth Knives, Swords & Axes 1 04-03-2010 10:09 AM
Kydex Sheath MontgomeryXIII Knives, Swords & Axes 9 10-01-2009 07:48 PM
Kydex or leather sheath for favorite knife? celticsavage Knives, Swords & Axes 11 02-07-2009 12:30 PM

Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Survivor or Survivalist?

Advertise Here

I have bought two kydex hoslters from Kydex by Parlusk. I'm really happy with them.

As far as Kydex for multi-tools, a Blackhawk Serpa Double Stack Mag Pouch fits MOST Leatherman Multi-tools
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqbinkalifornia View Post
I make my own knives, and would really like to find an inexpensive supplier of Kydex, and make sheaths for my work.
I've been searching for cheap Kydex for awhile. http://www.interstateplastics.com/ is the cheapest I've found and they have a ton of options you can pick from as far s thickness, colors, mil spec patterns and what not.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
outdoor lovin' Bushman

How much would it cost me to get a sheath for a Coldsteel Bushman with custom paracord handle?
I have an old leather one and it has been cut where you pull it out
I can't commit to anything, just curious for if/when in the future I want one.
thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 AM

I just recieved a new sheath from Harry Savage of savage made sheaths. I must say his prices are basement bargain. You totally get what you payed for!
When i recieved the sheath i was very dissappointed.
He used thin leather. Rivets are cheap and poorly set. The sheath is crocked. He obviousely is unaware of the use of a straight edge to aid in cutting. He also cannot cut a 90 degree to save his life!
I have had boy scouts make better while earning their leather working merit badges!
If quality and appearance are less inportant than cheap price, this is your guy.
You will get what you pay for with harry!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 AM

That's too bad but it's definitely true that you get what you pay for (as a rule). I'd like to be added to this list if it's ok.

http://godspeedtactical.com/

Eli
Old 10-27-2012, 02:15 PM

Eli, i cant believe there would be a list without you!
I have an ESSE sheath you made plus your original
ESSE 5.
You set the standard in kydex my brother!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikieG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Thanks man! I wasn't sure if that was you, I appreciate it.

Eli
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM

here is an example of eli's simple work (believe me folks, this guy can make pure magic with that kydex stuff!).
The Following User Says Thank You to MikieG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM

here is an example of harry savages work from savage made sheath.

notice the general crockedness of the sheath.
here is a better look at the leather where the blade guard touches the top of the sheath deffinately NOT 90 degrees!

take a look at that straight pocket!

lets see here, the leather that was used to make the rear panel of the sheath was too thin. this resulted in a sheath with no rigididty or spine.
the rivest used were cheap and poorly set.
the edges were not burnished or polished, they were colored with a magic marker!
you get what you pay for with this guy!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM

A good friend of mine does custom kidex holsters and sheaths out of my shop. We are in southeast Idaho if your interested shoot me a message. He make some of the best I've ever used and its very inexpensive.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 AM

Default For MikieG

Came across this thread and must reply. Mike G, who I do not know, emailed me asking for a sheath for his BJ Halo knife. Wanted a sheath like the one for the Ontario Air Force Knife. Advised him that it was a low quality sheath and not right for his knife and suggested a better style and quality sheath...Randall style Type C Attack sheath. He responded that he wanted a copy of the air force knife sheath...I reluctantly agreed to make it for him and did so.
Never heard anything back from him. I have a great reputation as a sheath maker and tried to steer him to the appropriate sheath but he was insistent in wanting an Ontario Pilots Knife sheath which I told him was not a high quality sheath and not really appropriate for his knife.
Long story short...he got what he wanted in spite of my recommendation. I sell most of my sheaths from my site but also have sold may sheath on ebay over the years and have almost 2000 totally positive feedbacks..no negatives. Ebay ID shaman15 if you want to check it out.
The sheath in the pic appears to have been twisted for some reason. I have no idea what this guy is up to.
Sorry for the long post.
Regards to all,
Harry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaman15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 03:10 AM

Ok. Allow me to start out by saying, this sheath is nowhere near as nice as the originol ontario sheath. You see, the originol sheath was made with straight cuts and perfect 90 degree cuts. I completely see why you did not place your mark in this piece.
The stone pocket can only be fixed by liberally applying a razor blade to the stitches and starting over. I assure you that this will be no 15 second fix!

The pictures are a very accurate depiction of the quality of work i recieved. Anyone that knows anything about leather can clearly see what was done. Harry did try to recommend another design. I happen to be left handed. Ambi sheaths are important to us lefties, as we dont like to carry our knives around backwards in right handed sheaths worn on our left side. This ambi design can be used right or left handed carry! If i am paying your price for you to make it, why should you care what design it is? I can only imagine what a true pepro would look like if you had attempted to tackle the metal work the orininal has in its construction!

I informed him of the knife this was for as well as the fact i would be reviewing this on the forums.
As for the money, he named his price and offered the stone as part of the sheath. I promptly payed.
I dont care to get into a ****ing match with Harry on here about this. I told him i would do a review of his work, and i did.
If he does not like my observations, he might consider changing what i observed.

I have since stuck a "Rambo" survival knife in the sheath and gave it to the neighbor kid. I will find a new shop to make me this sheath again.
Also in Harry's defense, the color of the leather was very nice. The stitching was as good as anybody elses hand stitching. It is true that the original has no welt.
I believe Skystorm is right, if the style is out of your comfort range, then you should have turned the job down.
Harry, no one is trying to pull anything. You made a very crocked sheath. You didnt put your name on it because you knew it was terrible. It is pretty far from a real copy. You accepted the quality when you shipped it to me.
How many more forums will you join just to try to discredit my review? Your time will be better spent learning how to cut leather rather than searching the world wide web looking for my reviews. Maybe you should Google "sheath making"!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikieG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Hedgehog Leatherworks. Check em out
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 PM

Anyone living in or near Colorado I highly recommend Terry Hisle from Western Images leatherworks (719)447-5002 he does outstanding work in leather Knife sheaths and custom holsters. Also belts to go with them. He has made me 2 knife sheaths and also is making me a custom holster that will accept my pistol with laser attached.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

Hi maybe you'd be kind enough to add me to your list, I am a knifemaker and I also do Leather and Kydex sheaths http://www.mooreireland.com

Regards Davy Moore
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,446 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon308 View Post
Anyone living in or near Colorado I highly recommend Terry Hisle from Western Images leatherworks (719)447-5002 he does outstanding work in leather Knife sheaths and custom holsters. Also belts to go with them. He has made me 2 knife sheaths and also is making me a custom holster that will accept my pistol with laser attached.
Here is his link:
http://www.westernimagesleather.com/
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,446 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davymoore View Post
Hi maybe you'd be kind enough to add me to your list, I am a knifemaker and I also do Leather and Kydex sheaths http://www.mooreireland.com

Regards Davy Moore
Too late, I can't, as you've already done so!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Try http://www.bladerigs.com Nick is the owner, and I've had custom work done by him and shipped all the way to Afghanistan. He is truly a master of Kydex. Holsters, sheaths, rigs, lighters, tools, anything you want he can do, plus he's got a small revolving stock of standard weapons; glocks, cold steel, sog, s&w, etc. Shoot him an email with any questions, he's a true patriot and an honest small businessman.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,363 Times in 2,817 Posts

Anyone have any experience with this outfit? Their sheaths look pretty good. I stumbled across them while looking for a Kydex sheath for my old Carbon V SRK.

http://www.grizzly-outdoors.com/shop...y-elite-sheath
Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,987 Times in 7,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushycreek View Post
I'd really like to find someone to make a sheath for a kurki that will attach to my external frame pack
how would you like it to attach?..teck lok,molle,bolt on...kydex offers them all
I make them all the time. pm me if you want
The Following User Says Thank You to Baddogg5 For This Useful Post: