Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 AM

Default Jiu Jitsu: effective workout & PTSD treatment

Advertise Here

I've been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) for a number of years now and it's obvious that service members & vets are over-represented in the BJJ community. Within the BJJ community, it's been common knowledge that it helps with depression & PTSD for a long time & the mental health community is starting to take notice. University of South Florida is close to the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) so they have access to lots of people with combat experience. They did a study on the effects of BJJ on PTSD and the results are promising.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31004163

On top of the mental health aspect, BJJ is great exercise. A little more than 400 calories per hour of drilling and almost 900 calories per hour in sparring (rolling).

Additionally, it's also learning an functional defense and it's not just for young people. I've seen people well into their 60's doing BJJ.

Pretty much all exercise is good for mental health, so does anyone else have experience with physical activities that help with PTSD, depression, substance abuse, etc?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Prepared

BJJ is the basis for the combatives training everyone in the Army and Marines gets, so it's a familiar concept for them to jump into.

Community and self-improvement, it's not particularly a secret but it is hard to find both in one spot these days.

A shrink tried to shoulder me with a PTSD diagnosis but I never accepted it, I knew some folks that really had it and never felt I did. Did some BJJ for a few months and enjoyed it. It's good times, and an even better workout.

A campfire was usually better therapy than a sweaty mat, though.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,965 Times in 7,987 Posts

I have severe bipolar with schizophrenia. Any workout is good - running, walking, free weights, weight machine, stair climber, gym workout, I avoid classes because I have trouble following along, kettlebells are great, etc.

Anything that gets the hormones releasing is a good workout. IMO no one is better than another.

I used to run over 7 miles a day when I was manic, before my diagnosis. They got a little big eyed at the mental health clinic when I told them that.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Hunter

In my college years, I tried both karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I enjoyed the jiu jitsu far more. As mentioned, the calorie burn, cardio workout, and adrenaline release was significant!

After college I tried to join a local club but they were more into competitions/tournaments than I was willing to do, and that seemed to "blacklist" me, so I left. I was in it for the self defense and workout. I wouldn't mind getting back into it again.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka Wizard View Post
A campfire was usually better therapy than a sweaty mat, though.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:00 AM

It's ok. You have to find a good gym with a good coach and a family friendly atmosphere. Otherwise you'll just get the warrior hero type wannabes that ruin it. Don't sign up to any contracts until you've gone for a while

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HDA using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2019, 03:28 PM

Yeah, culture of the gym has everything to do with it. I'm not a fan of gyms that only focus on competition. I like competing, but there has to be a self-defense focus too.

If a gym wants a contract, that's a huge red flag for me. I've moved three times since I've started and I've never trained at a gym that required a contract; I've always paid month-to-month.