Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2019, 01:45 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,491 Times in 696 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill tyler View Post
Folks can believe what they wish, just don’t claim it to be scripture when it ain’t.

The New Testament does not support that belief.
I presume you believe that the Old Testament with its stories of Solomon is as much a part of the Bible as is the New.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I don't happen to be a Christian, I don't follow the Old testament or the new... I have studied both in depth for the last five decades though...

I do not ascribe to any of the Abrahamic faiths, while I am quite Spiritual, I am not associated with any religion and never will be.
Ok, so what’s your point?
Old 09-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,153 Times in 2,324 Posts

Quote:
Ok, so what’s your point?
You asked whether I would follow the Old testament or New, I answered your question, I am not a Christian and do not follow either...

My point was... to answer "your" question...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,660 Times in 10,387 Posts

Quote:
I am not associated with any religion and never will be.
Why is that and what are your religious beliefs?
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
I presume you believe that the Old Testament with its stories of Solomon is as much a part of the Bible as is the New.
There’s no question about it.
Please understand that I’m not a “know it all” or trying to talk down to anyone.

But anyone that knows much about the Bible knows that we do not live under the law but under grace.
1 Corinthians 10 May give a little insight as to the purpose of the Old Testament in our lives today.
8Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. 9Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. 10Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. 11Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. 12Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Quote:
The bible is full of polygamy Jacob, Esau, Elkanah, Solomon, Moses, David just to name a few of the 40 examples that I am aware of. This does not even calculate in concubines or slaves..

Polygamy was so common among Jews that when the Romans invaded they had to change their laws to accommodate the polygamy which in Rome was against Roman law.

The Abrahamic religion that Judaism, Christianity and most recently Islam stem from, allowed polygamy in fact it was the social norm among Arabic peoples.
So what day of the year will you pick out to be your “day of atonement” since your going to try and live by Old Testament law?
Yom Kippur.

But I think you have a bad understanding of the “Old Testament” . Polygamy was not only allowed to Jews but gentiles also. Gentiles have less restrictions than Jews as they are covered by the noahide covenant only. So righteous gentiles can eat pork , ignore the sabbath , etc.

They have 7 laws to follow. Basically no murder , theft , idol worship , blasphemy , sexual immorality ( sex with animals , dead things , dude on dude , eating flesh from a living animal and they have to establish just courts.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Yom Kippur.

But I think you have a bad understanding of the “Old Testament” . Polygamy was not only allowed to Jews but gentiles also. Gentiles have less restrictions than Jews as they are covered by the noahide covenant only. So righteous gentiles can eat pork , ignore the sabbath , etc.

They have 7 laws to follow. Basically no murder , theft , idol worship , blasphemy , sexual immorality ( sex with animals , dead things , dude on dude , eating flesh from a living animal and they have to establish just courts.
My lord people, I do understand the Old Testament enough to know we are no longer under that law.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:19 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,399 Times in 1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
What about Abraham and Hagar? If she wasn't married to Abraham, was she his concubine? Or a common-law wife? Or Abraham's slave? And if Abraham had relations with her, which the Bible implies he did, an act which must have been inspired by God for the continuation of the Jewish line, can we consider her a wife, because otherwise would it not have been adultery or fornication which has been outlawed in the Ten Commandments?
Abraham and Hagar was Abraham and Sarah's attempt at fulfilling God's son of promise. It was NOT inspired by God. It was a human attempt to provide the heir God promised due to their impatience. In the end it gave them Ishmael. Hagar was Sarah's servant, not Abraham's wife or concubine. And Abraham preceded the giving of the Law. Read it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JL1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,687 Times in 18,623 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Ok I have been in several discussions over the years concerning more than one wife. I have warned against this as pointed out in scripture, but as always people like to twist scripture to fit what they want. Now I am not concerned about legal status but I am concerned about it Biblically.

I am not sharing verses for or against because I want to see others views without any debate, this is merely to see if others see more than I do or have explanations that I haven't considered.

Thank you and please not debates just others views.

Howdy. I've been married three times.

1) First wife got pregnant by another man. I divorced her.
2) Second wife was a biblical Christian when we met but when she started making lots of money (1/4 million a year) she totally changed and joined a tradition based church. She started hanging idols around our house. Since we had a "common law" marriage in California, we were never "legally" married according to California law. I left her when we ended up miles apart in about every way you can think. She wanted to "wear the pants" so I let her.
3) Still married to my third wife but she moved away about 6 years ago. We stay in touch and I pay for her car insurance and cell phone but beyond that ... we just say hi via text about every two weeks.

We're all sinners. There's nothing we can do about the past except to learn from it and not make the same mistakes twice. Christ died to cover our sins with His blood. Divorce is not an unforgivable sin.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,687 Times in 18,623 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
Multiple wives equals multiple mother in laws, think about it.

And multiple "monthlies."
Old 09-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,357 Times in 7,299 Posts

Judging by what others say about their wife I must have the best wife in the world. If they don't come any better than that, I sure don't want another one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Once when Mark Twain was lecturing in Utah, a Mormon acquaintance argued with him on the subject of polygamy. After a long and rather heated debate, the Mormon finally said, "Can you find for me a single passage of Scripture which forbids polygamy?" "Certainly," replied Twain. "Matthew 6:24 'No man can serve two masters.'"
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeathOfScythes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 07:10 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 9,843 Times in 4,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Judging by what others say about their wife I must have the best wife in the world. If they don't come any better than that, I sure don't want another one.

I echo this and couldn't have said it better.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
Yeah, Mormons will excommunicate you for multiple wives ever since the US made it illegal. Foremost you must live within the laws of the country you live in. But when they did do multiple wives, each wife had to have her own house. No all living together like breeding bitches in a pen. Every woman has the right to be mistress of her own home.

But these rumours of some of them having 30+ wives is just wrong. They strongly urged that men of wealth "adopt" widows and orphans. He paid the bills and over saw the moral upbringing and protected this woman and her children, but he didn't get bedroom rights. She was free to marry again. This is where the stupid idea of dozens of wives came from.
How many Mormon polygamists do you know ? I know a few and not all of them have separate homes.

I’m not a Mormon. And I do believe polygamy is a godly lifestyle. We are a couple , and are currently courting a woman so not technically polygamists. But I can promise you that we will not likely have separate houses. In fact even when we purchase a second home we will stay in the same dwelling. To us that’s what being family is all about. Of course we do have a large enough home for everybody to have room.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yom Kippur.

My lord people, I do understand the Old Testament enough to know we are no longer under that law.
I don’t believe in “ replacement theology “ so I would disagree.

But my point was that gentiles where never “ under the law “ so keeping Jewish holidays , the tithe , the kosher laws , etc would not have applied to non Jews at the time of the “old testament. “

The weird thing is to imagine that any part of the Bible somehow prohibits polygyny. It was extremely common and never forbidden. I like to see the mental gymnastics that many Christians use to justify adopting the completely PAGAN ( Roman ) custom of monogamy.

I mean they expect me to believe God clearly spells out all the rules in the Bible accept polygamy even though it was rather common at the time that Jesus walked the earth.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Prepared

Do polygamists believe in a minimum age to marry?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Prepared

Quote:
I don’t believe in “ replacement theology “ so I would disagree.

But my point was that gentiles where never “ under the law “ so keeping Jewish holidays , the tithe , the kosher laws , etc would not have applied to non Jews at the time of the “old testament. “

The weird thing is to imagine that any part of the Bible somehow prohibits polygyny. It was extremely common and never forbidden. I like to see the mental gymnastics that many Christians use to justify adopting the completely PAGAN ( Roman ) custom of monogamy.

I mean they expect me to believe God clearly spells out all the rules in the Bible accept polygamy even though it was rather common at the time that Jesus walked the earth.
The New Testament did not begin until after Jesus ascended, so while he walked the earth it was still Old Testament law.

Live however you want to, just be careful about saying God approves of it.

I don’t see any sense discussing this any further...
Old 09-17-2019, 07:59 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,399 Times in 1,612 Posts

May have been "common" but not God's best. Look at Solomon, in the end he was not true to God. The Bible states he was lead astray. Some of you are mistaking God allowing polygamy for His approval of it. It may not be spelled out in no uncertain terms but the principles of the Bible are certainly not in agreement with it.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Do polygamists believe in a minimum age to marry?
Yes. Of course it depends on the location and faith of the polygamists. Muslims have a VERY young age of marriage in some countries.

Most Mormon polygamist convert women are in their 30s. But they generally go by the minimum in the location they are in. They don’t believe in pre marital sex so they marry right out of school or college.

As far as our faith, we believe a woman should be an adult and a man should be grown and able to support his wife and be a father.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:31 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
May have been "common" but not God's best. Look at Solomon, in the end he was not true to God. The Bible states he was lead astray. Some of you are mistaking God allowing polygamy for His approval of it. It may not be spelled out in no uncertain terms but the principles of the Bible are certainly not in agreement with it.
There is no indication that god has any problem with multiple wives. He blessed David with them. And would have given him more.

The fact is if God had a problem with polygamy he would have said so. He isn’t exactly shy.

God approves of polygamy the way he approves of any marriage. To the people that where alive during the Bible , their was not really a difference. Having 2 wives was no different than having two children.