Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 AM
VIP Member

Default More than one wife?

Advertise Here

Ok I have been in several discussions over the years concerning more than one wife. I have warned against this as pointed out in scripture, but as always people like to twist scripture to fit what they want. Now I am not concerned about legal status but I am concerned about it Biblically.

I am not sharing verses for or against because I want to see others views without any debate, this is merely to see if others see more than I do or have explanations that I haven't considered.

Thank you and please not debates just others views.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobinD69 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 AM

The bible says that a man is to leave his parents and cling to his wife, not wives.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,135 Posts

This was already covered in depth in this thread:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...light=Polygamy

Please make sure you read all 52 pages of it. There are some good posts from time to time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,143 Times in 2,318 Posts

After 27 years of marriage and six children, I find that one woman is plenty challenging enough. Who would be insane enough to want more than one?

I have seen how women get along with each other and I have experienced how women in general get along with men. Having more than one wife at the same time seems completely insane to me...

Now my great great grandfather born in 1832 had four wives though he never had more than one wife at a time, the first three died and then he died on the fourth. He had a set of 4-6 children with each wife, for a total of 19 children between the four. My great grandfather born in 1872 was from the second wife and was the second son to be named William after their father.

Great great grandpa actually outlived my great grandfather who died in WWI 1916 when my grandfather was 4 years old. My great great grandfather died at age 86 six months after the birth of his last daughter.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,046 Times in 2,406 Posts

Who would want more than one? I mean seriously.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
The bible says that a man is to leave his parents and cling to his wife, not wives.
The bible is full of polygamy Jacob, Esau, Elkanah, Solomon, Moses, David just to name a few of the 40 examples that I am aware of. This does not even calculate in concubines or slaves..

Polygamy was so common among Jews that when the Romans invaded they had to change their laws to accommodate the polygamy which in Rome was against Roman law.

The Abrahamic religion that Judaism, Christianity and most recently Islam stem from, allowed polygamy in fact it was the social norm among Arabic peoples.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,633 Times in 10,381 Posts

Polygamy is a fallback position, short of the ideal. It is the practical response to war, where a big % of the male population is wiped out. Polygamy is an efficient way for society to rebound after a calamity.

Having said that, King Solomon had 600 wives and 300 concubines. This was not due to any recorded calamity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
The bible is full of polygamy Jacob, Esau, Elkanah, Solomon, Moses, David just to name a few of the 40 examples that I am aware of. This does not even calculate in concubines or slaves..

Polygamy was so common among Jews that when the Romans invaded they had to change their laws to accommodate the polygamy which in Rome was against Roman law.

The Abrahamic religion that Judaism, Christianity and most recently Islam stem from, allowed polygamy in fact it was the social norm among Arabic peoples.
So what day of the year will you pick out to be your ďday of atonementĒ since your going to try and live by Old Testament law?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:46 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,223 Times in 26,215 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Multiple wives equals multiple mother in laws, think about it.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,491 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
What about Abraham and Hagar? If she wasn't married to Abraham, was she his concubine? Or a common-law wife? Or Abraham's slave? And if Abraham had relations with her, which the Bible implies he did, an act which must have been inspired by God for the continuation of the Jewish line, can we consider her a wife, because otherwise would it not have been adultery or fornication which has been outlawed in the Ten Commandments?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Who would want more than one? I mean seriously.
Although I am no longer in touch with the family, there is man with 2 wives who lives some 6 miles from where I live and I have talked to several of his friends and neighbors who say that all are very happy. I used to have a close friend who took several wives and that ended badly, though I think he still has one wife after the others, including the first wife, left. Both of these men were strong active Mormons until they were excommunicated.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:02 PM

Default more than one wife

There are currently thousands of American men who have more than one wife. There is currently a large community of them on the Utah--Arizona border, who believe in "The Gospel of Jesus Christ" and its founder on this continent, Joseph Smith, though they are not part of the main Mormon Church.

Mormons, even the prophet believe in polygamy after one dies. If a man is married and his wife dies, he marries another, and she dies, when he dies and goes to the highest degree of glory he will have three wives as a minimum. Some young women, such as my close neighbor, don't particularly like the idea that she will have sister wives in eternity, but she believes it to be God's desire, since God has more than one wife, besides the mentioned Mother in Heaven.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
What about Abraham and Hagar? If she wasn't married to Abraham, was she his concubine? Or a common-law wife? Or Abraham's slave? And if Abraham had relations with her, which the Bible implies he did, an act which must have been inspired by God for the continuation of the Jewish line, can we consider her a wife, because otherwise would it not have been adultery or fornication which has been outlawed in the Ten Commandments?
It was not ever Gods will for Abraham to get Hagar pregnant. That happened because he didnít stand up to Sarah and tell her to wait on the promise, which was to be Isaac.

Thatís why we have the conflict we have today, Jews and Christians understand Isaac to be the child of promise and Ishmael to be after the flesh.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bill tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill tyler View Post
So what day of the year will you pick out to be your ďday of atonementĒ since your going to try and live by Old Testament law?
the day of atonement is prescribed by date in jewish calendar
The Following User Says Thank You to francessanne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
There are currently thousands of American men who have more than one wife. There is currently a large community of them on the Utah--Arizona border, who believe in "The Gospel of Jesus Christ" and its founder on this continent, Joseph Smith, though they are not part of the main Mormon Church.

Mormons, even the prophet believe in polygamy after one dies. If a man is married and his wife dies, he marries another, and she dies, when he dies and goes to the highest degree of glory he will have three wives as a minimum. Some young women, such as my close neighbor, don't particularly like the idea that she will have sister wives in eternity, but she believes it to be God's desire, since God has more than one wife, besides the mentioned Mother in Heaven.
Folks can believe what they wish, just donít claim it to be scripture when it ainít.

The New Testament does not support that belief.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by francessanne View Post
the day of atonement is prescribed by date in jewish calendar
That flew right over your head...
Old 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,659 Posts

Yeah, Mormons will excommunicate you for multiple wives ever since the US made it illegal. Foremost you must live within the laws of the country you live in. But when they did do multiple wives, each wife had to have her own house. No all living together like breeding bitches in a pen. Every woman has the right to be mistress of her own home.

But these rumours of some of them having 30+ wives is just wrong. They strongly urged that men of wealth "adopt" widows and orphans. He paid the bills and over saw the moral upbringing and protected this woman and her children, but he didn't get bedroom rights. She was free to marry again. This is where the stupid idea of dozens of wives came from.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,821 Times in 654 Posts

Based on forty six years of experience, sometimes one wife is one too many.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
It was not ever Gods will for Abraham to get Hagar pregnant. That happened because he didnít stand up to Sarah and tell her to wait on the promise, which was to be Isaac.

Thatís why we have the conflict we have today, Jews and Christians understand Isaac to be the child of promise and Ishmael to be after the flesh.
But God did command Abraham to listen to Sarai, but in all of this story, it is complicated. I have to read and re-read stories like this. There are many university level professors of schools of religion, who spend their lives studying this, and I have no doubt they understand the Bible more than I do. Maybe you are one of those professors. I am reading two accounts describing that story, one by an orthodox Jew and the other by her and her co-writer, a Christian.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Survivor

Quote:
So what day of the year will you pick out to be your “day of atonement” since your going to try and live by Old Testament law?
I don't happen to be a Christian, I don't follow the Old testament or the new... I have studied both in depth for the last five decades though...

I do not ascribe to any of the Abrahamic faiths, while I am quite Spiritual, I am not associated with any religion and never will be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post: