Need ideas on how to store small amounts of canned goods. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,065 Posts
Default Need ideas on how to store small amounts of canned goods.

Advertise Here

The last few days I have been working on reorganizing my canned goods. I built a first in/first out can rotator and have it mostly filled but I realized that about half of my canned goods are things that I only have one or two of and/or is in unusual sized cans.

I am trying to figure out how to store those items in a way that they are somewhat easy to see what's in them and somewhat easy to rotate. At the moment the only thing I can think of is to build an entirely new set of shelving with shelves that are only about 6 inches deep and 6-8 inches apart so nothing can get lost in back. I have thought of removing the Sheetrock and building shelving between the studs but two walls are exterior the third is floor to ceiling cabinets and the fourth is where our washer and freezer are(I could probably do stud shelves above the freezer and washer).

Anyone here have any good ideas on how to solve my problem.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 07:05 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,003 Posts

I put many of my canned preps with a Listing of Year on the shelf and container a long with type of food. Soups; veggies; canned potatoes... etc.

Rotation is important....
Old 09-14-2019, 01:22 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,804 Times in 3,298 Posts

Shallow cabinets with lots of extra shelves. Shallower than even the regular upper cabinets. There are shallow cabinets 6-12 inches. Some are for brooms, tools, flat closets to hide jackets on hooks in the back, etc. Good quality ones, or ones you add lots heavy duty adjustable bracket shelves to can have a lot of shallow, very short height shelves, too

Or the super expensive chef's pantry from Rev a Shelf Doesn't take a lot of sideways room and holds a lot. Adjustable, and can add more shelves. Rev a shelf also makes heavy duty under-counter pull-out pantry things (two types, one holds 300+ pounds), and they make a really neat pantry cabinet insert with a lot of shallow shelves

Rubbermaid, ClosetMaid, etc. have racks with baskets that go on the backs of doors. You can build something similar and customize it more. You *may* want to get heavier duty hinges, and *maybe* even add another one on the door, and *maybe* shore up the door frame, depending on how much weight you put in/on it. There is also a thin cabinet that goes on the bacl of a door, but I can't remember who makes it right now

Shallow Murphy-bed that you make into shelves instead of a (thin) mattress? Ironing board cabinet? Large bathroom cabinet? Some are over 6 feet wide, and only about 6-8 inches deep, and would fit over the W/D. Might have to put in brackets and more shelves...

Labeling and rotation...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,864 Times in 19,120 Posts

Someone just posted a picture of knocking out all their fixed shelves in their pantry closet* and putting up those steel rails for holding shelf brackets. Like the civvie version of unistrut. Making your entire pantry full of adjustable shelves.

* = See post #6 by Slclarry in this recent thread. Subscribe to that thread for a while. You two OP's face similar hurdles.

I tried to put my engineering skill into ideas, but everything that came to mind started evolving into Rube Goldberg devices.

You want simplicity, not complication.

The moveable pantry and shelf labeling has the element of simplicity and ends up as a feature instead of a problem when trying to sell the home to a normal. Changes to a home should always have resale somewhere in the consideration process.

Maybe you don't get a perfect answer, yet being able to adjust your pantry and label it will go a very long way to sorting out your odd shapes problem. Getting cans to conform is harder than conforming to cans, and because you are likely going to need your storage to conform multiple times before you feel happy with your pantry selection.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Hunter

Everything I am finding is expensive. I think the best/ cheapest way is to remove the sheetrock above the freezer and build a bunch of narrow shelves 6 to 8 inches apart between the studs.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,052 Times in 3,448 Posts

Would a metal shelf work?

https://smile.amazon.com/BestOffice-..._ob_title_home

That's $40, but they occasionally go on sale for $20. ALDI tends to have them once a year, and they were $20 I believe.

I got quite a few of them, and used 2 of them just for extra shelves - allowing me to change them from 4 shelves to 5 or 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Default Canned Item Storage

Glad to see I am not the only one having an issue with this.

I usually take my cans and write on the top and the label in sharpie the expiration so it's easier to see.

I don't have a rotation rack yet, but I definitely want to get that in there. My thought process at the moment is possibly to get it in a rotation based on type. So have one rotation rack for canned beans, a separate one for canned veggies, another one for soups, etc. Perhaps a rotation rack mixed with a lazy susan vertical rotation thing (like those book rotation things you seen in libraries)?

Depending on how many people and how many cans you are storing for, space may be an issue. In that case, basement or garage use may be helpful.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
Old 09-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
Would a metal shelf work?

https://smile.amazon.com/BestOffice-..._ob_title_home

That's $40, but they occasionally go on sale for $20. ALDI tends to have them once a year, and they were $20 I believe.

I got quite a few of them, and used 2 of them just for extra shelves - allowing me to change them from 4 shelves to 5 or 6.

I already have shelving, the problem is it is too deep and far apart for storing ones and twos and threes of a type of canned food on. Either I keep everything separated and waste 90% of the space or I stack all the oddballs together and don't know what I have, don't rotate it and it goes bad or I run out.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 07:50 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivethrive View Post
Glad to see I am not the only one having an issue with this.

I usually take my cans and write on the top and the label in sharpie the expiration so it's easier to see.

I don't have a rotation rack yet, but I definitely want to get that in there. My thought process at the moment is possibly to get it in a rotation based on type. So have one rotation rack for canned beans, a separate one for canned veggies, another one for soups, etc. Perhaps a rotation rack mixed with a lazy susan vertical rotation thing (like those book rotation things you seen in libraries)?

Depending on how many people and how many cans you are storing for, space may be an issue. In that case, basement or garage use may be helpful.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
Space isn't the issue for me nearly as much as keeping it organized so I know what I have and don't loose it/let it expire.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,864 Times in 19,120 Posts

Ever heard of a pantry door organizer?

Dozens on Amazon of different types. They are just very shallow shelves, like the door shelves on a fridge.

If you put adjustable shelves in the pantry then you put your large quantity cans on the main shelves, then the cans that are few or small you put on the shallow racks on the door.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/pantry-do...dng5p4phpbk86w

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,759 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Ever heard of a pantry door organizer?

Dozens on Amazon of different types. They are just very shallow shelves, like the door shelves on a fridge.

If you put adjustable shelves in the pantry then you put your large quantity cans on the main shelves, then the cans that are few or small you put on the shallow racks on the door.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/pantry-do...dng5p4phpbk86w
Love the cheap one they have.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-SimpleHo...=fsclp_pl_dp_5
The Following User Says Thank You to STEEPOE For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,929 Times in 2,659 Posts

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-of-cardboard/

Build your own little rotator boxes. Once you get the idea, they're fun to build and cover with interesting contact paper so they look nice.