battery bank why 6v? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,704 Posts
Default battery bank why 6v?

Advertise Here

I'm trying to get more serious about a decent system.Search has provided a lot of good info.I understand the concept of golf cart batteries,cuz thats what they are designed for.Most mention using the 6v ones.

My daughter has a club car,and the one time I looked at it,it had 5 12v batteries.

So what is the advantage of using 6v?
I'm guessing its just easier/cheaper to replace if 1 goes bad.
Is there a science based reason 2 6v is better/efficient/longer lasting than a 12v of the same capacity?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 AM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,399 Times in 1,612 Posts

I may be wrong but I think that 6V just has more capacity. Every 12 V battery I see tops out around 100 ah. The 6V run about 225hr. I'm guessing because of less cells they can use more plates per cell. I've seen the 2V that run almost 400 ah but they are $$$.
The Following User Says Thank You to JL1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 06:00 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,913 Times in 10,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
So what is the advantage of using 6v?
I'm guessing its just easier/cheaper to replace if 1 goes bad.
Is there a science based reason 2 6v is better/efficient/longer lasting than a 12v of the same capacity?
Batteries are a collection of cells connected together to create a voltage. There is no special quality to 6vDC batteries that make them better than 12vDC batteries of the same build quality. Simply 3 cells versus 6 cells internally connected in series. They could manufacturer a 6vDC battery from a 6 cell arrangement by wiring 2 cells in parallel and than each pair into series. The 6vDC deep cycle batteries had became a common industrial setup and was adopted by the solar crowd for heavy duty available batteries.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Hiker

Compare the costs of 2 6 volts vs 1 12 volt - maybe cheaper total cost? Yes, if one 6 volt goes bad you only have to replace the 6 volt and you still have 6 working volts.
The Following User Says Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,321 Times in 9,633 Posts

There is an advantage to building your battery bank from large capacity units.
The golf cart people settled on a 6v 190AH battery because it was the largest capacity battery the average person could install by hand.
Regular maintanence is always required, but the advantage of connecting large capacity, low voltage batteries in a series string, is it makes it easier to detect bad connections.
Folks who build stationary, very large capacity battery banks, tend to build them using very large 4v or even 2v battery units.
Folks who build their own electric vehicle battery systems, tend to use removable forklift batteries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,704 Posts

Guess I gotta lot to learn.In my mind,having 2/ 5 gallon gas cans is the same as having 1 ten gallon can,just easier to manage.Ain't the same it seems.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,913 Times in 10,523 Posts

Quote:
Guess I gotta lot to learn.In my mind,having 2/ 5 gallon gas cans is the same as having 1 ten gallon can,just easier to manage.Ain't the same it seems.
The amount is the same. Whether you have 10 - 1gal cans or 1 - 10gal tank. You are correct that it is easier to handle a smaller can. Unless you are trying to carry 5 of the 1 gal cans versus 1 of the 5 gal cans.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,321 Times in 9,633 Posts

Quote:
Example,
You want to build a 48v 400 AH battery bank for a home solar system.

You can use
Five series strings of (4) 12v batteries, hooked in parallel, or

Two series strings of (8) 6v golf cary batteries, hooked in parallel, or

One series string of (24) 2v 400AH batteries.

Which design has more connections, more complexity, more difficult to maintain?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:17 PM

In the marine business we got away from 6V batteries.

If one in the series group goes bad you lose your 12Volts. If you parallel 12 V batteries and one goes bad, yank it from the system and you still have 12Volts available.

One should never mix old and new batteries as your bank will perform only as well as the oldest battery.

Yes, you can get 225 AHr 6 V batteries to series up into a 225 AHr 12 Volt Bank but a better system is to run 190 AHr 12 Volt batteries in parallel with the negative taken from the last battery and the positive from the fist one.

That way all batteries are made to work equally. Feed taken from the first battery cause the balance of the bank to coast with the last battery left virtually unused.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:12 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,265 Times in 425 Posts

Lead acid batteries are 2.0 volts per cell. The size of the cell determines the amp hour capacity. The larger the cell the more amps it can provide. If you have 3 cells that are 200 Ahr's and place them in series you have 6 volts at 200 amps. In parallel you have 2.0 volts with 600 amp hours of capacity.

Using 6 volt golf cart batteries you can build just about any system you need and have a readily available source for replacement. My inverters run on 24 volts but the better, more efficient (and expensive) ones use 48 volts.

Once I ran across an electric fork lift that was damaged. The guy was going to sell me the battery pretty cheap which was 48 [email protected] 2,000 amp hours. I would have loved to have had it. Problem was this thing weighed more than my truck and there was no way in hell I was going to be able to move it.

I could build such a battery bank using 6 volt golf cart batteries though and still be able to move around one battery at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 04:24 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,342 Times in 20,071 Posts

6V traction batteries are built differently than 12V batteries.

The active material is better contained to prevent shedding, which is what kills normal 12V batteries. They can therefore discharge deeply and cycle back many more times than 12V batteries. But this limits instantaneous current output.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Compare the costs of 2 6 volts vs 1 12 volt - maybe cheaper total cost? Yes, if one 6 volt goes bad you only have to replace the 6 volt and you still have 6 working volts.
Assuming same physical battery size , for the same watthours you would need two batteries whether you go with 12V or 6V . The cost is going to be similar. In one case they would be two 6V in series, the other 2 12V in parallel.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post: