Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-11-2019, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,864 Times in 1,229 Posts

Advertise Here

I own a pair of UV-5R yes they are cheap and yes you get what you pay for. If you want a third rate radio with poor audio they will work. All mine do for me is collect dust. My other handhelds I paid more for were well worth what I paid. Kenwood, ICOM, alinco,and yeasu all make better radios. Baufung makes junk the Chinese sell to the US. If you want a radio you can depend on don't buy Baufung.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim in Illinois For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,821 Times in 1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Great idea there broadcasting how you break illegally FCC regulations subject to a heavy fine on the internet. Even better you are encouraging folks who don't fully grasp the consequences to do the same. After all why should hey bother doing things the right way so communications won't be disrupted especially when the air traffic might actually be an emergency.
Who said I transmit anything. Your implying things I never said so cut the ****.

If you like begging government for permission for using air waves be my guest
Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,000 Times in 537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Who said I transmit anything. Your implying things I never said so cut the ****.

I'm not "cutting" anything there slick. You know what you said. You know what you implied. You know what you advocated as do the majority of us reading this thread. Your character clearly shows in your posts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 46,661 Times in 10,866 Posts

Quote:
Who said I transmit anything. Your (sic) implying things I never said so cut the ****.

You're not transmitting but you are using the air waves and "doing" hf this spring??

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 04:34 AM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
You're not transmitting but you are using the air waves and "doing" hf this spring??

You understand you can monitor without getting a government permission. So yeah dumbass what now? I assume that ham culture is nothing but narcs.
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Shoot-Move-Communicate

I love it! A Baofeng loving dumbass troll.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
I love it! A Baofeng loving dumbass troll.
I own icons , Motorola, kenwood and bofangs and hyts and more. What does it matter if I think the 30 dollar radio gets people at least learning about ham. Hopefully your fudd culture of ham wont push them away but i am sure you're awesome to talk to.
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Basket of deplorables

Quote:
I own icons , Motorola, kenwood and bofangs and hyts and more. What does it matter if I think the 30 dollar radio gets people at least learning about ham. Hopefully your fudd culture of ham wont push them away but i am sure you're awesome to talk to.
Yes, I'm sure with all of that money, time and equipment tied up in those radios all you do is "monitor" Calling people out as a narc for reporting dangerous illegal activity? Pot meet kettle. You are not credible is the bottom line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Yes, I'm sure with all of that money, time and equipment tied up in those radios all you do is "monitor" Calling people out as a narc for reporting dangerous illegal activity? Pot meet kettle. You are not credible is the bottom line.
Why not I get deals from people and fix stuff.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:42 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 28,842 Times in 8,377 Posts

Quote:
You understand you can monitor without getting a government permission. So yeah dumbass what now? I assume that ham culture is nothing but narcs.
So why not just purchase a scanner and save your cash?

Oh yeah. Because you're a dumbass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 12:57 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Quote:
Perhaps you enjoy begging the government to use air waves I don't.
I'm sure that you don't have a Driver's license, because you don't enjoy begging the government to use the roads. Then again, given your user name, you probably lost it due to being a hazard to life and property.

Quote:
As long as your not causing interface with other radios who cares.
Interface? You mean interference. Right?

How about not interfering with someone sending out a mayday? Or interfering with a net? Or interfering with a proprietary repeater? Or interfering with someone's television? Or interfering with avionics? Or interfering with any number of other electronic devices or the use of electronics by others?

Quote:
I'll be doing hf this spring
Be my guest and try. FCC enforcement actions are fairly stiff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
So why not just purchase a scanner and save your cash?

Oh yeah. Because you're a dumbass.
You always find a way to insult me and yet I know deep down you have some sick bro love for me.

Because next to free is cheaper then a scanner. So kindly remove your head from your butt and move on.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Basket of deplorables

Quote:
You always find a way to insult me and yet I know deep down you have some sick bro love for me.

Because next to free is cheaper then a scanner. So kindly remove your head from your butt and move on.
From reading your posts on this forum sir, you are the one with cranial rectumitis.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Hmm big man back tracking.

While you are "doing HF" without permission "of the man", you are being located by a computerized array of antennas and receivers run by FCC and other 3 letter agencies.

Not good OPSEC blabbing it here. They have your coordinates already from your IP address and any spurious HF eminations from your house/compound/shack/mom's basement will be dutifully registered.

It could be a stern letter you receive from FCC asking you to explain why they shouldn't slap you, or a localized EMP pulse introduced directly into your outdoor convenience outlet by the local Ham club driving their black "mobile mega-Joule van" and a fifty foot extension cord. Don't mess with the radio guys...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Hmm big man back tracking.

While you are "doing HF" without permission "of the man", you are being located by a computerized array of antennas and receivers run by FCC and other 3 letter agencies.

Not good OPSEC blabbing it here. They have your coordinates already from your IP address and any spurious HF eminations from your house/compound/shack/mom's basement will be dutifully registered.

It could be a stern letter you receive from FCC asking you to explain why they shouldn't slap you, or a localized EMP pulse introduced directly into your outdoor convenience outlet by the local Ham club driving their black "mobile mega-Joule van" and a fifty foot extension cord. Don't mess with the radio guys...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Again your allows to listen.... but this is exactly why nobody takes the ham groups seriously
Old 09-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwg View Post
Seeing some things about not being able to get these after sep 30th? Or maybe a tighter version? What can you guys tell me and what would you recommend for an inexperienced guy to get? Any info appreciated everyone. Thanks
As you can see, this is a topic that can generate some web traffic

Up front, I don't like these low cost Chinese radios for multiple reasons including legal and psychological issues (the selfish psychology of "the rules should not apply to me" that these can propagate in the wrong hands). And I generally do not recommend them, instead I recommend an entry level name brand.

With that said though, they are a good value.

For a very low cost you get a (depending on model) decent radio that generally performs fairly well. Are they as good as big name / brand name radios? In general, no, they are not. Anyone who says "they are just as good as brand name" is being, in most cases, a bit narrow in their comparison criteria. But that does not mean the Chinese radios are necessarily bad, and they are often a fraction (typically 25% or less) the cost of comparable capability name branded stuff.

If you are reasonable in your expectations you will be pleased with most of these radios. They sometimes have a high initial failure rate, but you can often buy a package of 5 of them for the cost of a single equally capable name brand radio. If 1 in 5 fails early you are still ahead.

In my opinion these radios have increased participation in ham radio. They have been an entry point for many ham radio operators who otherwise would not have spent the cash to get involved. Many now good operators started with these things, and either learned to use them with their limitations or became interested enough to progress beyond them and their limited capability. At the same time they have hurt ham radio, and the radio hobby in general, by promoting rogue operations.

Everyone likes to save money. However, if your financial situation allows I would recommend a name brand radio over the low cost Chinese stuff. But if the cost difference is the difference between you getting into communications or not, then the low cost Chinese stuff is far better than nothing.

If you can afford it, instead the Baofeng UV-5R (in any of its many flavors) consider the Icom IC-T70A, the Yaesu FT-65R, the FT-60R, or something similar to those.

Notice I have been talking about "ham radio". There are very few unlicensed radio services (actually, none, because every service, including FRS and CB, are licensed) that give real, dependable, communications beyond a couple of miles. The unlicensed services can sometimes have good, usable, ranges, but you can't depend on that day in and day out. Of all the licensed services a person has available to them ham radio gives the most diverse, most dependable, options for communications that do not depend on other peoples infrastructure.

Assess your communications needs, describe what you want to do in as much detail as you can, only then can anyone tell you if these radios, or others, are recommended or not.

T!
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Again your allows to listen.... but this is exactly why nobody takes the ham groups seriously
Come on man, sack up. You know that was not what you meant when you said:
Quote:
Perhaps you enjoy begging the government to use air waves I don't .

As long as your not causing interface with other radios who cares.

I'll be doing hf this spring
Or this:
Quote:
Yeah such free men....begging the fcc for permission
Or this:
Quote:
Whatever one you want . Your moving and who cares if you don't have a ham licence.
Radio transmission is one of those areas where you do really need regulation and structure. If everyone just does what they want on the air it will reduce the usability of the spectrum. You said "As long as your not causing interface with other radios who cares.", so I have to ask the question, how do you know if you are or not causing such interference? Don't tell me "I listen first" because incompatible modes might not be detectable to you, or you may not be able to detect the stations you are interfering with because they have more receive antenna gain, the stations you are interfering with might be mobile and come into your range after you "checked", etc. Coordination reduces the likelihood of these issues. The FCC, via licensing and regulation, attempts to coordinate the air waves.

However, in the unlikely event you were talking only about listening and just worded it poorly, then no ham has ever "begged" the government for listening either.

As you have since said, you don't need a license to listen, at least not in the USA (some other nations do require permits / licenses to listen). And hams do not get a license to listen, they get one to transmit.

T!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstToken View Post
Come on man, sack up. You know that was not what you meant when you said:

Or this:

Or this:

Radio transmission is one of those areas where you do really need regulation and structure. If everyone just does what they want on the air it will reduce the usability of the spectrum. You said "As long as your not causing interface with other radios who cares.", so I have to ask the question, how do you know if you are or not causing such interference? Don't tell me "I listen first" because incompatible modes might not be detectable to you, or you may not be able to detect the stations you are interfering with because they have more receive antenna gain, the stations you are interfering with might be mobile and come into your range after you "checked", etc. Coordination reduces the likelihood of these issues. The FCC, via licensing and regulation, attempts to coordinate the air waves.

However, in the unlikely event you were talking only about listening and just worded it poorly, then no ham has ever "begged" the government for listening either.

As you have since said, you don't need a license to listen, at least not in the USA (some other nations do require permits / licenses to listen). And hams do not get a license to listen, they get one to transmit.

T!
So again you pay for the right to use airwaves.

Again dont put words in my post. I never once said I transmit. I have no need to and the goal is to listen.

You guys need to chill out and quit the statist act.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Quote:
Official Observers have been around for nearly a century, and I know for a fact that they are taken seriously.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 04:27 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Quote:
So again you pay for the right to use airwaves....
I never paid a dime to any government to obtain a license and transmit on the ham radio bands.

I never paid sales tax on my radio equipment either.

I didn't even purchase study books.

So what the **** are you talking about?!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post: