Shotgun sights - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 09-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Prepared

Default Shotgun sights

Advertise Here

So I just picked up a new-to-me Mossy 500A with a 18.5" and 28" barrels. Overall looks very nice, with minimal round counts. Also came with a pic rail attached to the top of the receiver where a traditional scope mount would go. This is mostly going to be a budget HD and field gun- something I didn't spend a ton on that can do any job I ask of it. Historically I have had no issues with typical shotgun bead sights and I will most likely just remove the pic rail and rely on the beads... But should I??

Is it "worth it" to go with an optic on this type of shotgun? All chokes are fixed so its not like I would be using it for turkey, even with the 28 incher. I'm not sure there is an effective and durable optic at a price point I'd be willing to go on this.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,584 Times in 628 Posts

If you're going to go with anything other than the bead, a Hi-Viz setup or maybe some ghost rings. I wouldn't get too excited for HD use, since in most cases that will be more "pointing" than "aiming". If nothing else, replacing the front bead with a Hi-Viz takes advantage of low-light situations.

But, if you insist . . .

Hi-Viz, take your pick: https://www.hivizsights.com/product-...hotgun-sights/

Tri-Viz, ghost ring style: https://www.hivizsights.com/product/triviz/

Genuine Mossberg Ghost Ring kit: https://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-Ghos.../dp/B0002INJSA

that's just my quick Google Fu, I'm sure there's more out there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 01:47 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,156 Times in 5,488 Posts

I removed the bead on the HD barrel and installed a Hi Viz fiber optic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 PM
أنا لست إرهابيا

Thanked 80,411 Times in 32,241 Posts

Remember -- except for slug shooting --

You dont aim a shotgun --- you point -- LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Remember -- except for slug shooting --

You dont aim a shotgun --- you point -- LOL
I know this is a joke but for the uninformed I just want to point out that this is a joke.

For sights I personally like a red dot. Otherwise I just run a bead. I can slam soda cans at 80 yards with a bead and slugs, haven't found the need to shell out cash on a ghost ring that could buy more slugs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 10:11 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,595 Times in 8,738 Posts

I wouldn't pay extra for it, but since you got it - save it. It might be useful for mounting something like a sight, light or perhaps a small game 22 LR zip-gun.

I consider a scatter gun a zone weapon - train to point the unit at the zone. Shooting from the hip is handy in self defense - very hard to walk around all the time with the weapon shouldered.

I use a mid bead as a rear sight for slugs. You can tape on a folded piece of say cut beer can to make field expedient sight system. Make and learn to use it now while ammo is cheap and available plus legal to be out shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 06:03 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,893 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka Wizard View Post
I know this is a joke but for the uninformed I just want to point out that this is a joke.
No, it's not.
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
No, it's not.
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because the idea that you don't have to aim a shotgun is irresponsible and fuddlore continuously propagated by old folks too stuck in their ways.

Why even pattern your loads otherwise? Why have even a bead sight? Shooting at something with the half-hearted attempt at placement because "it's a shotgun" is silly. Aim your firearms, regardless of type.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,032 Times in 444 Posts

if your shotgun fits you right you will not need to look at the sights to hit a pie plate at 20 yards or so
The Following User Says Thank You to wldrbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,985 Times in 1,769 Posts

Aimpoint micros are great on SGs, but cost 3-4 times as much as the gun.

I like the XS big dot for a bead. It's tritium, so helps with low light situations.

https://www.amazon.com/XS-Sight-Syst...gateway&sr=8-5

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,358 Times in 3,063 Posts

I am going to say not necessary unless you end up using it for bigger game like deer. I almost exclusively hunt with a 12g (mossberg 535) and while the iron sights are sufficient enough for short ranges within 50 yards, beyond that begins to get more challenging. With a bead only even more especially at different angles. Also, the probable need for effective target engagement at night for defense would be another consideration. While there are ways to illuminate or replace front bead with something relatively inexpensive that would be sufficient for night time shooting, a good red dot can add significant benefit. So to conclude, not necessary, but will enhance capability with the right choice in optics and or advanced sights.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,893 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote:
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because the idea that you don't have to aim a shotgun is irresponsible and fuddlore continuously propagated by old folks too stuck in their ways.

Why even pattern your loads otherwise? Why have even a bead sight? Shooting at something with the half-hearted attempt at placement because "it's a shotgun" is silly. Aim your firearms, regardless of type.
I was giving YOU the benefit of the doubt in assuming you were young and didn't quite understand the topic. I edited my post to you three or four times before I posted exactly enough to express my opinion without insulting you.

You seem to have a bit of a prob telling those two words apart. "Aim" and "point".

In response to your question, you "pattern" a barrel with a specific ammo to get an idea of the "PATTERN" that that combo will give. You are working towards finding an acceptable "PATTERN" at a specific range with a specific type of ammo. If the "PATTERN" is too open or too ragged, you "PATTERN" a diff ammo/barrel combo until your "PATTERN" is acceptable. Yes, close in home defense range, you will want a decently tight "PATTERN"....but home defense range is only one small aspect of a "SHOTGUN". A single slug will always be better at that range. If all you want is a single deciding hit, there is no point to using anything else. Buck shot is intended to "SPREAD"....that's why it's seperate pellets. You "PATTERN" your buck to make sure it spreads enough but not TOO MUCH to ruin your "PATTERN". Am I getting that point across? Ok, let's go the opposite direction now. A "SHOTGUN" is a firearm meant to shoot "SHOT". "SHOT" is a bunch of individual little pellets that allow you to hunt/shoot small, moving, hard to hit animals called "BIRDS". A "SHOTGUN" shoots a large amount of little pellets that makes an acceptable "PATTERN" in that it spreads enough to assure a decent hit probability while still maintaining an acceptable kill potential. That, again, is why you "PATTERN" your gun/ammo selection ahead of time.

Shotgun beads are intended for one purpose....they tell you where the muzzle is "POINTING". Nothing more. Without a back sight, you are POINTING it. "AIMING" requires two sighted in points of reference to target a specific point of aim. POINTING means you point the barrel at the target and rely on your PATTERN to make the kill. A bead is simply to catch your eye as fast as possible and to let you sight down the barrel. Try it. You'll be surprised. That's why so many folks like glow beads, light fiber beads, white beads, ivory beads etc. In a lot of cases, aftermarket beads/sights will actually be so large they obscure the target. Again, the front bead on a shotgun is simply to catch your eye and let you know where the muzzle is pointing. You sight down the barrel. That vent rib so many shotguns have these days? Same thing. You use it to point the muzzle by sighting down the barrel. Same goes for white center stripes (anyone remember those?). A lot of hunters simply wrap a half inch wide piece of reflective tape in a full circle around the muzzle. Same idea. A lot of tactical shotgun shooters also hold the gun sideways with the ejection port pointing up....you brace the butt under your arm, not shouldered. You sight down the barrel same as before.

Yes, I fully understand the joke part about "pointing a shotgun and it'll clear a room" and all that bull****. I agree, it is bull****. Rice, above, knows enough about shotguns to joke about it. Rice, above, also knows enough to know that shotguns are intended to throw a spreaded pattern to cover an area, not to target one small point of aim. He mentioned slugs. Remember, the OP asked about a 28" bird hunting barrel. In that case, you don't even point AT THE BIRD....you learn to point at where it WILL BE and put your pattern onto that area.

You "POINT", you do not "AIM" a shotgun. To AIM requires two sighted in points of ref and a single projectile that will hit that point of aim. You can NOT sight in a bead nor can you sight in a shotgun pattern.

Apologies on the typos. Hands are giving me fits this morning. Apologies on the delay on this one, too. Lots of farm work here this time of year and I'm working my butt off.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,012 Times in 446 Posts

I have a couple of the "Hi Viz" snap on sights on my shotguns and they do catch your eye. A shotgun is like any other gun. It works best when aimed with as much precision as you can muster when shooting at something. Most shotgun shots for me are snap shots at running or flying targets. Using the bead and having the barrel correctly aligned nets me the most hits. And some shots are just point and shoot. A missed shot at a clay bird is no big deal. A missed shot at a Turkey running across in front of you means no food.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Preparing....Networking

ghost rings and a blade up front for me.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
I was giving YOU the benefit of the doubt in assuming you were young and didn't quite understand the topic. I edited my post to you three or four times before I posted exactly enough to express my opinion without insulting you.

You seem to have a bit of a prob telling those two words apart. "Aim" and "point".

In response to your question, you "pattern" a barrel with a specific ammo to get an idea of the "PATTERN" that that combo will give. You are working towards finding an acceptable "PATTERN" at a specific range with a specific type of ammo. If the "PATTERN" is too open or too ragged, you "PATTERN" a diff ammo/barrel combo until your "PATTERN" is acceptable. Yes, close in home defense range, you will want a decently tight "PATTERN"....but home defense range is only one small aspect of a "SHOTGUN". A single slug will always be better at that range. If all you want is a single deciding hit, there is no point to using anything else. Buck shot is intended to "SPREAD"....that's why it's seperate pellets. You "PATTERN" your buck to make sure it spreads enough but not TOO MUCH to ruin your "PATTERN". Am I getting that point across? Ok, let's go the opposite direction now. A "SHOTGUN" is a firearm meant to shoot "SHOT". "SHOT" is a bunch of individual little pellets that allow you to hunt/shoot small, moving, hard to hit animals called "BIRDS". A "SHOTGUN" shoots a large amount of little pellets that makes an acceptable "PATTERN" in that it spreads enough to assure a decent hit probability while still maintaining an acceptable kill potential. That, again, is why you "PATTERN" your gun/ammo selection ahead of time.

Shotgun beads are intended for one purpose....they tell you where the muzzle is "POINTING". Nothing more. Without a back sight, you are POINTING it. "AIMING" requires two sighted in points of reference to target a specific point of aim. POINTING means you point the barrel at the target and rely on your PATTERN to make the kill. A bead is simply to catch your eye as fast as possible and to let you sight down the barrel. Try it. You'll be surprised. That's why so many folks like glow beads, light fiber beads, white beads, ivory beads etc. In a lot of cases, aftermarket beads/sights will actually be so large they obscure the target. Again, the front bead on a shotgun is simply to catch your eye and let you know where the muzzle is pointing. You sight down the barrel. That vent rib so many shotguns have these days? Same thing. You use it to point the muzzle by sighting down the barrel. Same goes for white center stripes (anyone remember those?). A lot of hunters simply wrap a half inch wide piece of reflective tape in a full circle around the muzzle. Same idea. A lot of tactical shotgun shooters also hold the gun sideways with the ejection port pointing up....you brace the butt under your arm, not shouldered. You sight down the barrel same as before.

Yes, I fully understand the joke part about "pointing a shotgun and it'll clear a room" and all that bull****. I agree, it is bull****. Rice, above, knows enough about shotguns to joke about it. Rice, above, also knows enough to know that shotguns are intended to throw a spreaded pattern to cover an area, not to target one small point of aim. He mentioned slugs. Remember, the OP asked about a 28" bird hunting barrel. In that case, you don't even point AT THE BIRD....you learn to point at where it WILL BE and put your pattern onto that area.

You "POINT", you do not "AIM" a shotgun. To AIM requires two sighted in points of ref and a single projectile that will hit that point of aim. You can NOT sight in a bead nor can you sight in a shotgun pattern.

Apologies on the typos. Hands are giving me fits this morning. Apologies on the delay on this one, too. Lots of farm work here this time of year and I'm working my butt off.
I think we may be arguing semantics. The physical function is identical.

The presence of a rear sight or not doesn't change the fact that you're aligning your dominant eye with the barrel and front bead, after all. In rifle shooting one establishes a front sight focus just the same. That is aiming. Front sight focus on target in line with your focus.

"Aim" and "point" as you describe them are practically indistinguishable to my reading. When I shoot a shotgun, my scout rifle, or an AR, my body mechanics and eye motions are the same. I have done CQB combat courses while in the military. I learned true point shooting. It does not include a true visual of the front sight. Mind you, I'm not pulling the actual differences in the terms out of my ass, they come from pros and firearms instructors.

I've got trap trophies. I'm a little less clueless than most. Im 30 with years of shooting in competition and the military. Pro instruction included. Everyone's got their own mileage.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:46 PM
أنا لست إرهابيا

Thanked 80,411 Times in 32,241 Posts

Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:

The "you don't have to aim a shotgun" always amazes me. Like you said, it has to come from someone who has never patterned a shotgun. Or who has never actually shot one. At SD ranges the spread is going to be about fist-sized. Hardly a "zone."
Old 09-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Bear Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
The "you don't have to aim a shotgun" always amazes me. Like you said, it has to come from someone who has never patterned a shotgun. Or who has never actually shot one. At SD ranges the spread is going to be about fist-sized. Hardly a "zone."
It's not "you don't have to aim a shotgun", it's "you don't aim a shotgun".

Aiming required two points of sight. I aim my turkey gun because it has two points.

Most shotguns have only one point of sight, the bead at the end of the barrel. You point that.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,356 Posts

Aim:
to point or direct a weapon towards someone or something that you want to hit:
Aim (the arrow) a little above the target.
Aim at the yellow circle.
There are hundreds of nuclear missiles aimed at the main cities.
She aimed (= directed) a kick at my shins.
Let's aim for (= go in the direction of) Coventry first, and then we'll have a look at the map.

Sights, whether they are bead, ghost ring, red dot, etc, are designed to help you aim.

If you choose not to aim, because you think a shotgun is a "zone" weapon, you are wrong.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Bear Fighter

When in Rome.