Ram pump? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 09-04-2019, 08:52 PM

Default Ram pump?

Advertise Here

Anyone on here have experience with building a Ram Pump? I have a Creek on my property and trying to draw water uphill 150' by using a ram pump. I found plans on the internet and gave it a try. (I thought it may have been a internet scam) but to my amazement it pumped up 125'! 125' with zero power source is mind blowing to me. lol But it is flowing with just a very small trickle. But a trickle will fill a large tank over time. But I need it to go another 25' or more. I read on the internet that some people had it going up hill 250' with decent flow. I also read I may need to extend the pipe that feeds the pump. So far I am not getting any better results. I thought I would give this forum a try. I am building a off grid cabin and as of now I have to carry the water up. Thanks for reading! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdp..._as=subscriber
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:18 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,646 Times in 8,756 Posts

It was several years back a lady member here did a small ram pump build and test plus a nice write up with the design spec's. This thread is part of it, you will need to look for the rest.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...=346490&page=2

I would look at doing a 12 V DC RV pump ($80) and power it off a photovoaltic solar system. I like having electric LED lights at night. A small fan and tunes plus the HAM radio is nice too. Mine charges all my battery stuff like my laptop and AA, AAA flashlights.

$500 or so will start a basic DC system. $200 is 2 100 W panels. 2 12 V deep cycle batteries is another $200. Charge controller, wires etc is another hundred bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,500 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

The ratio of a ram pump is usually right at 1 to 7. For every foot of fall, you get 7-feet of lift. So, for 150' lift you will need at least 22' of height from the water source to the ram pump, and 25' to 30' would be better. And that is with a decent flow from the supply side.

Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 12:02 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,225 Times in 4,278 Posts

Yes. I have a homebuilt one that I've been using for many years. It pumps all my wash and irrigation water.

I have 100' feet of 1 1/4 drive line falling from about 10' of head, pumping up about 35' above head at 1 GPM. Just as an experiment I've pumped it up tp 100' above head with of course much reduced output.

All you have to do is scale up your ram.

Larger diameter drive line, longer drive line and a slower cycle will all provide more pumped water without increasing head.

Of course all of this requires more drive water. Rule of thumb is that you will pump about 1/10 of the water that you use to drive the pump.

You can think of your drive line like a hammer equal in weight to the weight of the water in your drive pipe. To get more energy out of that hammer you either need a bigger hammer, or a faster hammer, or both.

A longer valve cycle allows your drive water to get moving faster before its stopped.

A larger diameter pipe means that water hammer has more wight behind it.

A longer pipe is the same.

More head (from water source) means the water will get moving faster.

This assuming you don't have a bottle neck somewhere like too small of a pressure tank or clack valve.

My little ram:

Ram math (out of an old book)

Old 09-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,274 Times in 692 Posts

My stream dosnt have much fall. 4ft at most with little volume in the summer. Im running a 120/240v jet pump ($101) from the stream up to the highest point of my property, about 40ft up from the stream. There it fills one IBC tote at 7.5gpm. 35min on the generator and the tank is full. The ibc tote then gravety drains down to our small cabin/build site. That means hot, quiet and reliable showers.

I ran 600ft of 1in black poly pipe. The large diameter really help with the gravety flow section. Stage 2 will be adding a second IBC tote. Stage 3 will be boxing the totes in for protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_163948_1568920776224.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	291916