Bar Soap? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,412 Times in 445 Posts
Default Bar Soap?

Advertise Here

I wasn't sure where to put this post here or on the homesteading section.

As par of my preps I do stockpile bar soap....mostly of the store bought kind (zest, coast, irish spring etc).

Since I have limited space and I know the brands above are pretty low quality and melt relatively quickly in comparison to higher quality bar soap.

I know Castille soap may be an option.....so what I am looking for is a reasonably priced high quality soap that will last 2-3 times that of the cheaper stuff.

What are the recommendations? I normally stock around 20 bars.

HK
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 04:23 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,155 Times in 20,020 Posts

I don't use bar soap at all. All it does is make a mess.
Dial shampoo/body wash 1 gallon containers, buy 4 at a time on Amazon and get a couple pumps from a beauty supply shop.

Wow, they might have stopped making it or something. The price has skyrocketed. But the same basic idea. Just buy a case of 4 gallons of some sort of soap. Cheap and lasts for a year or more.

Maybe :
https://www.amazon.com/McKesson-Cucu...ct_top?ie=UTF8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,718 Times in 975 Posts

I stock bar soap too. Currently I have about 40 bars of Dial, Lever 2000 and Neutrogena.

My preps are centered around stocking items I use on a regular basis. Razor blades and soap are among the most basic.

There are a lot of different soaps for different skin types. Since my skin is not particularly dry or oily a lot of basic soaps are fine and the price is low enough that I don't care.

The trouble with "high quality" soap is that they can be very expensive, over $3.00 per bar. I don't see the logic in that.

What I would suggest to anyone is to first find out what works for you and then stick with that.

Good luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PoorRichard05 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,980 Times in 2,576 Posts

`

Only soap I use anymore is defense soap. Started buying it for my son when he started wrestling way back when. They now have different styles & other products too. Really good stuff. Got rid of my psoriasis & has kept it gone. They frequently have sales, I don't think I've ever paid what the full advertised rate is. Also buying bulk pushes the cost down. They are super friendly if you ever call in an order & their shipping is crazy fast. You can also find it on amazon, wal-mart website (not sure if it's in stores). Also my son found out that most bugs stay away from the peppermint scented soap, so that's a plus too.

https://www.defensesoap.com/

https://www.defensesoap.com/home/shop/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,412 Times in 445 Posts

The logic behind buying the more expensive soap is to save the physical space. Even 6 months worth of preps takes up quite a bit of space. Just on toiletries alone.....Toilet Paper, soaps, shampoo, toothpaste, powder, razors, wipes...fill much more than 2 cabinets.

So when the prep switches over from 20 bars of regular soap to 20 bars of super soap....it moves you a long way towards a 6 month goal.

HK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 41,935 Times in 12,977 Posts

We prep bars however....we prep shampoo in concentrate. 1 gal=5, from the beauty supply house. I bet someone has body soap in a concentrate too.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,718 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
The logic behind buying the more expensive soap is to save the physical space. Even 6 months worth of preps takes up quite a bit of space. Just on toiletries alone.....Toilet Paper, soaps, shampoo, toothpaste, powder, razors, wipes...fill much more than 2 cabinets.

So when the prep switches over from 20 bars of regular soap to 20 bars of super soap....it moves you a long way towards a 6 month goal.

HK
Yep, preps can take space. That just goes with the territory. My personal items are in a single closet and toilet paper and paper towels easily take up the most space. Bar soap, tooth paste, tooth brushes, shampoo, razor blades, along with extra towels and extra wash cloths take up one shelf.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,851 Times in 19,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

Only soap I use anymore is defense soap. Started buying it for my son when he started wrestling way back when. They now have different styles & other products too. Really good stuff. Got rid of my psoriasis & has kept it gone. They frequently have sales, I don't think I've ever paid what the full advertised rate is. Also buying bulk pushes the cost down. They are super friendly if you ever call in an order & their shipping is crazy fast. You can also find it on amazon, wal-mart website (not sure if it's in stores). Also my son found out that most bugs stay away from the peppermint scented soap, so that's a plus too.

https://www.defensesoap.com/

https://www.defensesoap.com/home/shop/

Their advertised special ingredient? Hypochlorous acid. It's what is made when chlorine mixes with water.

Now I'm not going to say that they make a bad product because there are more ingredients they don't mention, but what they claim as their magic cure happens every time I turn on my city water tap. I know people who buy special shower filters just to avoid the effect of hypochlorous acid on their skin. Clearly what helps some folks with their skin is not good for others.

Of course, that free excess coming out of the tap first assumes the city taps are running.

What I keep a reserve of is Castile Soap. Castile soap is an ancient class of soaps that combine laurel and olive oil that has been around the Mediterranean since biblical days and popularized in the rest of Europe when the Crusaders brought it back.

Lots of brands. Liquid or bar. Dr. Bronners is the most famous brand in the US. All brands run a couple bucks a bar because the cost of ingredients is high. Gallons run around $35 for most liquid offerings, though like anything in the natural market there are always some crazy expensive offerings for posers to buy. Dr. Bronners actually is on the more affordable end of the scale and has a great rep. Easier just to stick with it rather than spend money to find the rare offerings that are cheaper and maybe not so good.

I also keep a reserve of Gojo canisters. Really good stuff.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,501 Times in 6,297 Posts

I've piled up bar soap, mostly Dial, but also I've got bars of Lava. Bodily hygiene is a key to long term survival, as I see it. Liquids don't transport as easily as solid bars, and can't easily be subdivided. Soap may well become a barter item.

I also stock Boraxo. Nothing gets really grimy hands as clean as easily as Boraxo.

An old, old bit of wisdom: There used to be a product called Tri Dermis that we used on the farm, until it vanished from the marketplace. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2120569.html

If you're going to do a really dirty job barehanded, a usable substitute is to lather your hands up with Boraxo and let it dry. Come cleanup time the stuff you got into will come right off. Especially good when painting.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Mini tourer expert

Am I the only one thinking 20 bars is not stockpiling, and how easy to rotate that amount would be even for one person?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chuckklr98 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,705 Posts

I have liquid Softsoap for handwashing in the kitchen. The sink has a dispenser with
a tube that drops inside the counter underneath. Down there I have
a gallon jug, which seems to last about a year.
Also use Softsoap for handwash in my bathroom***
There I refill a counter top dispenser, but a gallon also lasts a year.
***Wife and I use different bathrooms. Ha~!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:26 PM
The world is my urinal

Thanked 4,424 Times in 1,136 Posts

I use a body wash but always keep the motel soaps. Have a couple shoeboxes of them.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:44 PM

I really like Kirk's Castile bar soap. Simple formula, buy it at WalMart, not expensive. Lasts for at least 2.5 weeks in the shower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myche For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,851 Times in 19,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myche View Post
I really like Kirk's Castile bar soap. Simple formula, buy it at WalMart, not expensive. Lasts for at least 2.5 weeks in the shower.
Probably fine as a soap, but they use a different version of what Castile means. To them they state that it is not made with animal fats.

It's historically recognized that laurel extract is part of Castile. Laurel is essentially a bay tree.

Bay leaf has eucalyptol and lauric acid, which have skin medicinal properties.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:07 PM
rrrrribbitt

Ivory bar soap. Can use it for showering, but also for washing hair in the absence of shampoo. Can also bathe the dog with it, do dishes with it (using a vinegar rinse and then hot water rinse) and do the laundry with it. Quite versatile.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,228 Posts

I don't know of any long lasting bars. I stock Dial deodorant soap. I bought what I have when I've come across good sales. I don't know how many bars I have but I know I haven't bought any in at least two years, probably more like three. And I'm in no danger of running out!
It's just me that uses it, though. Wife doesn't like the ingredients so she's always buying expensive natural stuff. Lately some kind of black stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2019, 01:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,159 Times in 4,157 Posts

I don't use bar soap due to sensitive skin, but for those who do, be aware rodents love to eat it, so store it in hard plastic or metal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,803 Times in 3,298 Posts

I don't normally use bar soap, but I do keep some bars of Cuticura (the blue colored bars) and Walgreen's Antibacterial around for washing before and after whelping puppies (wash hands again with something nontoxic like EO before starting), for the night/morning-before-surgery showers, washing hands before gloving to do stitches or debridement at home, etc. The Cuticura website is often cheaper than Amazon, but do the math for the various packs and different sized bars. It's not as good for killing microbes as the soap that comes in the green bottles the doc prescribes (forgot what that's called), but I'm not allergic to it

The key to keeping bar soap from getting mushy/gross is to not let it sit on/in water, even if it is only the bottom side (as in a soap dish or on the edge of the sink/tub. Putting it on top of one of those clear plastic soap savers works, so long as the area underneath is flat, open, kept clean/dry, and gets good airflow so the soap dries and isn't sitting above a dish full of water or a puddle. They rinse or wipe clean (dry before putting soap on it) Two small ones or one larger one for $1 at Dollar Tree. The larger ones can be found other places, but DT is the only place I've found the little ones. They also work to prolong the life of SOS pads
Old 09-03-2019, 04:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,008 Times in 927 Posts

We do Dr Bronners liquid soaps, and stock up on sale.

BiMart (a Pacific Northwest chain) recently had the 32oz on special $9.99, all varieties. That is a very good value, least ways around here.

They usually do that special a few times per year.

For dish soap we do Dawn Ultra in the big jug, $10 at Costco. A little goes a long ways. Great as its intended use, dishsoap, as well as all things one would use soap for, but again a little goes a long ways.

That Dawn is also great at cleaning brass for reloading, if you wet tumble.

Honestly not quite sure on how much soap we have stocked up, in "time use". Probably a few years worth though. Just buy extra when its on special, like most things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:35 AM

I stockpile Irish Spring because it's cheap (7 bucks for 20 bars at my Costco right now). I stock Dr Bronners and vinegar for other cleaning needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to omegaman13 For This Useful Post: