Skills Audit - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Prepared

Default Skills Audit

Advertise Here

There are a lot of prepper blogs and channels lately that are starting to focus more on prepper groups and MAGs and the sort. Many would consider being in a group an essential prep.

For those planning on finding a group AFTER the event happens, one must think about what they bring to the table. Does your family bring enough positive assets that you won't just be another handful of mouths to feed? Is being a guy with a gun willing to work going to be enough for most groups?

I figured for this thread we could do a skills audit. Go over what you're good at, what you're bad at, and if one is in a group what you're missing. That way if someone is looking to supplement their skill set they can read through this and see what some common missing links are and start educating themselves accordingly!

I'll start:

Strength Skills: Combat medicine and prolonged field care, wilderness medicine, etc. CQB engagement experience and training. Firestarting and hunting, improvised shelter making. Rucking and bushcraft. Field hygiene. Dog training.

Weaknesses: Homesteading, farming, food preservation. Water procurement that isn't rain or a body of water. Communications equipment. Electric power generation. Not as good with vehicles and small engines as I wished. Gardening. Child care. Clothing repair.

What you're working on: Picked up a hobby in cartography. I'm learning how to make maps without relying on batteries. Pace counts and compasses, like the 1800's. Could be useful, especially for a BOL when setting up routes and defenses.

What you wish you had in your group: First, I wish I had a group. But the biggest ally I could have is someone who knew some long-term food storing, growing, and water storage. I'm just not in that position and I don't know much about it. After that anyone that could perform upkeep on clothing and vehicles would be a big plus!

Your turn.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka Wizard View Post

I figured for this thread we could do a skills audit. Go over what you're good at, what you're bad at, and if one is in a group what you're missing. That way if someone is looking to supplement their skill set they can read through this and see what some common missing links are and start educating themselves accordingly!

I'll start:

Strength Skills: Combat medicine and prolonged field care, wilderness medicine, etc. CQB engagement experience and training. Firestarting and hunting, improvised shelter making. Rucking and bushcraft. Field hygiene. Dog training.

Weaknesses: Homesteading, farming, food preservation. Water procurement that isn't rain or a body of water. Communications equipment. Electric power generation. Not as good with vehicles and small engines as I wished. Gardening. Child care. Clothing repair.

What you're working on: Picked up a hobby in cartography. I'm learning how to make maps without relying on batteries. Pace counts and compasses, like the 1800's. Could be useful, especially for a BOL when setting up routes and defenses.

What you wish you had in your group: First, I wish I had a group. But the biggest ally I could have is someone who knew some long-term food storing, growing, and water storage. I'm just not in that position and I don't know much about it. After that anyone that could perform upkeep on clothing and vehicles would be a big plus!

Your turn.
I haven't attempted to make serious contact with other preppers in my area for OPSEC (god I hate that term) reasons but there are several people I work with who live nearby and I figure they'd be glad to join with me since I have lot's of food stored and the ability to find more.

Are you an EMT, nurse or doctor? If you have basic meds and equipment prepped, that would make you very attractive to many groups.

My Strengths: Foraging, fishing (using efficient methods), small game hunting, bush-craft

Mid Level: Gardening, large game hunting, defensive shooting, hand-to-hand combat, medical

Weaknesses: Animal husbandry, electrical / electronics work, vehicle repair
The Following User Says Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,010 Times in 8,008 Posts

I am a schizophrenic bipolar with brain damage married to a physical train wreck alcoholic. And we have six cats.

No one wants us. I've never even bothered to look. What's the point?

They're going to have to take me out back when my meds run out and my husband is useless from a prepper standpoint.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post

Are you an EMT, nurse or doctor? If you have basic meds and equipment prepped, that would make you very attractive to many groups.
EMT, plus wilderness medicine and austere medicine courses. Prolonged Fieldcare Group stuff. I know some minor surgical procedures but I'm definitely no surgeon.

I have a decent med stock. An array of broad spectrum antibiotics, epipens, some analgesics. I wish I had a way to get my hands on some fluids but they expire so fast.

Otherwise I have a good amount if medical supplies. I could stock a military ambulance with what I have.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,624 Times in 2,084 Posts

I come up short on a cost/benefit analysis
I am a human anchor
A Hillbilly without a still
That is as low as it gets

When things go south, I have openings for any and all ER physicians and Special Forces Operators
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 05:15 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,516 Times in 20,127 Posts

My strongest strength is my Humility.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 9,852 Times in 4,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
A Hillbilly without a still
That is as low as it gets

That's a hilarious description of low.

Mind if i steal it? ( I'm not a hillbilly but I do have a still.)
The Following User Says Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Skill strengths: Uhhhhh...other than being a massive night owl who would have zero problems being on guard duty, not many. A bit of sewing, cooking, childcare. Very good at highly detailed and routine (boring) work.

Weaknesses: where to start? Immediate concerns, gardening, food preserving, armed protection.

My group is just me, my boyfriend and brother. My boyfriend is legally blind and has a fused ankle so he's working with not much. My brother is our only asset, as he can build or rig darned near anything and is a mechanic. A larger group would want him but I'd be screwed lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikmurph For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,842 Times in 3,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I am a schizophrenic bipolar with brain damage married to a physical train wreck alcoholic. And we have six cats.

No one wants us. I've never even bothered to look. What's the point?

They're going to have to take me out back when my meds run out and my husband is useless from a prepper standpoint.

You and your husband obviously have the gifts of faith, evangelism, interpersonal communication, and courage. You and he can share faith and hope with believers, and the Gospel, faith, and hope with unbelievers. People cannot survive without hope. And it is a lousy world without hope, regardless of circumstances. You also have relevant skills/knowledge that might fill a critical need/void. And your cats would be valuable for vermin control.

In a PAW, a Pastor of a new or already-established church/congregation might well need help from people like you and your husband. And the cats (vermin like books, sheet music, hymnals, Communion bread, etc. This could also be true during "regular" S.

God works miracles all the time. Sometimes via man's hands (as in via "conventional" medical profession, herbalist, ND, etc.) and sometimes more directly I am living proof

Where there is faith, there is hope
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,316 Times in 979 Posts

Interesting Exercise.

I think it makes sense to precede any such list with a sense of what one might be prepping for. With \us, it's SHTF that could last up to several months or a bit longer. We are not end of world doomsday preppers. Though we'd try to survive like anyone, our likely reality is that would be the end. But we don't want to be taken out by garden variety BS.

Strength Skills: EMS/Fire skills with enough personal gear to cover a good deal of serious initial conditions. Enough medical skills/knowledge to cover some slightly serious conditions when there will be no hospital. Basic outdoors skills, multiple ways to purify water. Woodworker, (with or without power tools), so can make/repair housing/cabinetry/furniture. Reasonably good shot; handgun, shotgun, rifle. Decent gardening skills. Reasonable gear set and food/water preps.

Weaknesses: Weak/old hunting/dressing skills. Average sills for auto repair. Basic self defense ok for middle aged guy, but... a 'real' fighter or hood rat could likely easily take me out. We shouldn't need serious weapons for our prep scenarios, but I lack a powerful distance rifle or tactical rifle. Live a bit into 'burbs, but in a somewhat heavily populated secondary city, Serious SHTF would mean necessary to bug out. And BOL is only an hour, (normally), but might would be a rough go with crap happening.

What you're working on: Acquiring a single stack handgun for CCW. Love my Glock 19. But I really can't comfortably carry it well concealed. Need to make that happen. Need more longer term storage proteins. Need more work at BOL.

What you wish you had in your group: My 'group' is weak. I've got a couple of folks around me that are solid for local flash events. But if something going longer and it's BOL time, there will be more "ok, what do we do now" folks. Need better survivor attitude with those in that circle. In terms of skills; just more handy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,462 Times in 560 Posts

Jack S, I will be smiling for a couple days everytime I think of your post.Hillbilly without a still. Now thats funny!
Prepared ??????????? I feel I have a lot to bring to the table, but in the last days, God will have to be First and Last. try to take Him everywhere I go, but also expects me to do my part, like physical labor, brain power, and sometimes just pure luck.
I have been prepping since back before it was common. In fact, back in late 80's
early 90's If I mentioned it to anyone they seemed to think I was disturbed! I was so glad to see the prepper shows and this blog show up cause I was beginning to doubt.
I am a jack of all trades, experience in refrigeration, electrical/electronics, machinery, IT for 20 years. Live in country where I hunt,fish, shoot,grow, and dont worry about my neighbors 1/4 mile away. But like I mentioned earlier, some of the things I know how to do will no longer matter with no gas or electricity, but Im hopin they will be around sporadically. I can defend my place, have 5 acre pond full of fish, and tree varmints everywhere. But I dont want to do this alone, hopefully my neighbors have some kind of plan themselves and we can pool resources. I couldnt even hold my property if the attack were from multiple sides.
But hey, thats where God comes in. Im gettin old, have major back trouble, but God is definitely in this with me so I live till I die!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,226 Times in 1,484 Posts

I would place a very high value on a preacher in the group. I’m not very religious myself but I have personally witnessed groups come togethor under pressure and far exceed any logical performance and sacrifice for each other due to the comfort and encouragement of a religious.

Personally, I am very well versed in the hillbilly survival arts and some that Uncle Sam taught me. I am an educated hillbilly and country boy, scratched, dented and primered but still drivable and a dependable start every time. We all are experienced archers and shooters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 01:18 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,842 Times in 3,309 Posts

Working on: getting a job or creating a job, and then buying a house
In the meantime, updating/upgrading/maintaining skills/knowledge
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 01:59 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka Wizard View Post
I'll start:

Your turn.
Great post.
Our skills and weaknesses line up pretty closely.

Strength Skills: 17 years in EMS and firefighter. The last six in one of the most dangerous big cities in America. CQB training with SWAT teams and tactical medical skills. Decent with a pistol and good with a rifle. Not terrible with bushcraft and field skills. I do and have worked with dogs.

Weaknesses: Canning, field dressing and long term keeping of farm animals. We plant a garden annually but we have a lot of crops that do not produce.

What you're working on: Fitness! This is suffering after a major injury and middle age has screwed my fitness level up. Group, compound, and land security. I/we have to increase alternate sources of power on the land we own. It's a must but it's a cost issue right now.

What you wish you had in your group: Need to work on the group. Yes, in theroy we have a group. It's falling apart due to personalities. We have a bit of a larger family so we have several members that are REAL blood. Getting more food storage at the land.

Honorable mention Finally have everyone carrying a medkit and GHB in their car or school bag.
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Hunter

To answer the question

Learn to fend for self
Learn to fend for family

Support for long, medium and short term health care. ( under meltdown conditions you will likely have access to no medical help)

Food minimum 28 months min max 72 months..
Water same as food..

You have less than 12 hours out the 1st 24 hours to be outside city limits otherwise hunker down

Weapons anything you can lay your hands on.

If you are going to resort of stocking pistol ammo then atleast stock rifles to fire them from the longer engagement distances you have the better, shoot to kill, leave morality and legal defining moments, once the warning Bells go out and panic and looting insues people aim to do you harm for what you have best to treat them in kind, fail to do so will likely end up with being killed..
If you have training use it wisely..

Save yourself 1st then save others second, as with you out of action you are no good to the family unit..
Old 09-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,080 Posts

HMMMMM....strengths and weaknesses...

Weakness- food growing, simply because our soil sucks and too many trees. I grew up off and on on a farm so I know the theory. Some first aid, med knowledge but not big on it. Age- just getting old so I can't work as long as I used to and I am carrying forward some old injuries that keep me from doing lots of heavy work. I can wrestle something 100lbs into place but the days of popping it up onto my shoulder and heading into the sunset are long gone. Don't work on vehicles except minor stuff. Don't have solar or wind generation capabilities.

Strengths- VIOLENCE.. I have a lot more experience both living/working with and giving it than the upper percentages. I am fairly skilled with pretty much any firearm that can be man carried and/or shoulder fired out to 1000 meters. Have a proven track record of when lead is both outgoing and incoming I stand my ground. I have some pretty good skills for hand to hand, either using or instructing. Pretty skilled in bushcraft and all that entails. Have an engineering background so I am pretty ingenious when it comes to solving problems or coming up with solutions in unique and adoptive ways. Pretty handy at woodworking, electrical, plumbing, construction, welding, things like that. Have run all sorts of heavy equipment. Can fly a plane or helicopter but I might be a little rusty. Have boat operator skills for craft up to 50'. MY personality is fairly fearless, but use caution as opposed to charging into an unknown situation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:12 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,622 Times in 1,005 Posts

My skills:

Hunting & Fishing; fresh & salt. Friend has a big herd of deer and I do also.

Outdoor Cooking: over a fire cooking skills and equipment. I have a lot of cast iron: Dutch Ovens: both camp and stove top. Fry pans and griddles. I have two smokers and two charcoal grills I will use with wood if needed. I can dry meat and chicken I want to save.

Plenty of water available here.

Some Food Preps: They might be enough for some people and a lot for others. Not for me! It is still a weekly work in progress as far as I am concerned. Preps are not limited to food.

I have a doctor on board; a nurse and another hunter/fisherman. There are several shooters here I am friends with. All are within a mile or less of me.

I am 75 years old now like NW Guy said about getting old. I don't think he is that old by writing this.

I have had too many injuries and had three operations. That doesn't mean I won't or can't defend my family and myself.

No gardening skills. Have a friend with chickens. . He has better planting ground than I do with seven acres of cleared land I can walk too.

Reading other posts I remembered some things.

I have many oil/kerosene lamps with extra burners and wicks and about 12 gallons of fuel. ***I just had to go and count the oil/kerosene lamps I have: the total count is 24 lamps and two No.8 lanterns. Yes, I was surprised myself. I cannot pass up the lamps or spare chimneys at the local Flea Market if the price is right. The same thing can be said for cast iron. Pocket and sheath knives are a weakness also.

We have a wood stove and a lot of cut and split wood with more behind the house.

Last edited by BASS; 09-02-2019 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 09-02-2019, 10:48 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,657 Times in 2,759 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I'll play. This is for the family, as a group:

Strength Skills: Food production (cattle, goats, poultry, garden, orchard); Hunting and fishing; water (private well, water harvesting); clothing making and repair; food preservation (canning, dehydrating, etc); cheese making; beekeeping; candle and soap making; 3 veterans, 1 a combat vet - combat engineer; multiple cooking sources (woodburners, charcoal, and propane grills) and fuel to run them; beer brewing; carpentry/building skills.

Weaknesses: most of the acreage is covered in mesquite that needs to be removed; still on electric grid; pond still needs repair/sealing. Don't have processing shed and smokehouse built yet. Aquaponics system not set up yet. Pond not finished yet. Need to build/rebuild greenhouses.

What you're working on: Getting breeding pair of pigs; converting the homestead to solar/wind power; clearing more mesquite; expanding irrigated areas; rebuilding greenhouse (after the SECOND one blew away - next one will be anchored in concrete.

What you wish you had in your group: Medical professionals.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Prepared

Icefire you look like you're in a good spot!
Old 09-02-2019, 11:55 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,622 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
I would place a very high value on a preacher in the group. Iím not very religious myself but I have personally witnessed groups come togethor under pressure and far exceed any logical performance and sacrifice for each other due to the comfort and encouragement of a religious.

Personally, I am very well versed in the hillbilly survival arts and some that Uncle Sam taught me. I am an educated hillbilly and country boy, scratched, dented and primered but still drivable and a dependable start every time. We all are experienced archers and shooters.
You don't need to live in the South or in the Hills to be a "Country Boy". I am a Country Boy and am comfortable in the woods or mountains.

Coon and Fox Hunted. Shot out the kitchen window and hunted all around the farm area I lived in. Sadly it is all covered with homes and the farms and wildlife are gone. I am glad I am old enough not to see many more bad days that are coming.......