Advertise Here

Old 08-29-2019, 02:33 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,667 Times in 4,959 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
You got T-Bones? I'm coming to you house LOL. See you on the other side
Ya, they say if you're gonna go then go big. Cannot even remember the last time we had steak, but these were so damn cheap the wife said grab them. Got two big uns
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 AM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 33,429 Times in 9,030 Posts

Filled up jeep yesterday, everything else is situated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFL View Post
It's crazy out here in South FL already. Long lines for gas, cases of water sold out. I went into Publix today and there was almost no bread on the bread aisle and the pasta shelves were really thinned out also. Thankfully I have gas, food and water already.

But I'm dreading hanging my hurricane shutters because it's a full day job and at 96 degrees and 85% humidity it's also a tough job.

Stay safe if you're in the cone of death.
Start hanging them now, do a few each day and then leaves you spare time if something else needs attending too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 06:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,759 Times in 4,669 Posts

I'm up on Long island, but still look at the NOAA hurricane site every day starting in June. If something looks iffy, I'll have a 3 or 4 day jump on everyone else here.

We had the power go out last week for 33 hours after a big t-storm. So that was the tune up. I know where everything is and my freezer is cleaned out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 07:24 AM
cogito ergo sum

Thanked 190,741 Times in 38,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
Hang-on brother, I think you're near Daytona? We are south of Orlando almost smack dab in the middle of the state...we'll be keep'in an eye on it....

Our daughter is up in Debary 24 miles directly west of Daytona at college but our best friends live 10 minutes away from the college on 6 acres of wooded land and their YUGE house is set way back in off the road so if they decide to evacuate the college she has a 10 minute ride to get to their home, an evacuation was planned out before she even started college cause being prepared and having a plan is part of being prepared. She will be in good hands with her god parents. I hooked her up with a go bag and put a couple of cases of water in her dorm room when we took her up there last weekend...LOL
My GF lives in DeBary. I live 25 miles southwest of Daytona.
SW Volusia county.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:36 AM
cogito ergo sum

Quote:
It's crazy out here in South FL already. Long lines for gas, cases of water sold out. I went into Publix today and there was almost no bread on the bread aisle and the pasta shelves were really thinned out also. Thankfully I have gas, food and water already.

But I'm dreading hanging my hurricane shutters because it's a full day job and at 96 degrees and 85% humidity it's also a tough job.

Stay safe if you're in the cone of death.
My mom is in Ft. Lauderdale. She basically said the same. Mass panic down there already.
I hear ya on the shutters.
It takes me a while to put mine up too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nefarious1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 07:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,399 Posts

when we first came here (2002) we were very apprehensive about hurricanes. Since then, we find we get more rain & wind from thunderstorms that from hurricanes. Matthew woke us up in the middle of the night with wind noise, but that's been the worst, so far.

We have all the trees that could hit the house cut down in the SE to Southern direction, 2 generators, 200 50 gallons of water, and a 75% full propane tank. We prep full time, so I'm pretty sure we'll be OK.

We also ask for God's hand on us every night - maybe the most important prep of all.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 07:41 AM
cogito ergo sum

The news this morning said now its projected path is between Melbourne and Palm Beach.
Who knows? It's just guesswork at this point.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nefarious1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I usually break the shutters up over a couple of days. I should probably invest in some newer technology I am still hanging the original corrugated steel shutters. I have 27 windows. I do have accordion shutters over the sliders. My neighbor had some type of carbon fiber screen shutters, they weigh a pound or two vs what I lug around.

This morning all the gas stations have huge lines. I'm in central Palm Beach county, the panic is on.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GatorFL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:05 AM
cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Yes, I usually break the shutters up over a couple of days. I should probably invest in some newer technology I am still hanging the original corrugated steel shutters. I have 27 windows. I do have accordion shutters over the sliders. My neighbor had some type of carbon fiber screen shutters, they weigh a pound or two vs what I lug around.

This morning all the gas stations have huge lines. I'm in central Palm Beach county, the panic is on.
That's a bunch of windows.
I've got 11 and sliding glass doors on the patio. Aluminum panels for me, so a bit lighter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nefarious1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious1 View Post
That's a bunch of windows.
I've got 11 and sliding glass doors on the patio. Aluminum panels for me, so a bit lighter.
Yeah, thankfully I am in a single story house. If I had a 2 story I would have upgraded years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to GatorFL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,073 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious1 View Post
The news this morning said now its projected path is between Melbourne and Palm Beach.
Who knows? It's just guesswork at this point.
I hope they are wrong, that would put me in the tornado zone if it goes straight across to the gulf from there. OTOH, wind speeds would be significantly reduced at that distance. I would just move from the south side of Orlando up to the north side.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,788 Times in 700 Posts

Here in Olando it`s just starting to get crazy!. I picked up on water and batterys,today is gas day for the new Jenny wired into the house. Just finished installing it last week,didn`t know I`d need it so soon!!. Have plenty of Survival Food but with the fridge on the Jenny hope it`s not needed!. Also have propane stove so as not to use the oven and can use the microwave. Boarding up the house Saturday,hate that..so dark and gloomy inside but have to protect the windows!. Wishing ALL in this path of this Storm Good Luck!!.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vlad Tepes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 10:15 AM
... avoid sharks

Quote:
I'm in central Palm Beach county, the panic is on.
11:00 update has her coming onshore as a cat 4 now. Iím in north PB County on a horse farm. I work for the County and am assigned to man a shelter during the storm so I canít be home to watch the horses. Jill will have to handle whatever happens alone until I return. Assume we will open the shelters Sunday morning. Busy few days coming up to button up the farm before I get locked in the shelter. Probably hit Walmart at 4 am tomorrow morning to pick up a few last minute items. Stay safe everyone.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gotWater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 10:45 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Florida and in the path of this storm. It does look like it'll be a big one. I'm also a little nervous for us here in Louisiana. If it passes through Florida and into the gulf then it may strengthen again and head our way. Of course, it's way too early to tell if that will happen but I'm definitely keeping my eyes on the news this weekend.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juju72782 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:03 AM
cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotWater View Post
11:00 update has her coming onshore as a cat 4 now. Iím in north PB County on a horse farm. I work for the County and am assigned to man a shelter during the storm so I canít be home to watch the horses. Jill will have to handle whatever happens alone until I return. Assume we will open the shelters Sunday morning. Busy few days coming up to button up the farm before I get locked in the shelter. Probably hit Walmart at 4 am tomorrow morning to pick up a few last minute items. Stay safe everyone.
That's what I was thinking yesterday it was going to get to. Maybe thinking it may get to a 5 by the time it hits us. Man, this is going to suck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nefarious1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM
When I Have Your Wounded

Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,012 Posts

Best of luck to all, be safe.
South Brevard county here.
May get to test the new hurricane windows.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:47 AM

The college my friend's son goes to in Polk County is not holding class Monday or Tuesday, but will be under "normal operations" for faculty and staff. Hopefully nobody gets hurt driving to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to chiquita For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,880 Times in 10,514 Posts

If this one follows the script the next few days will be filled with more official dire warnings leading up to a "You are all going to die". Than there will be news coverage of "brave" reporters standing behind concrete barriers as the wind whips items across parking lots. Occasionally the news casters will go stand out in the wind and rain and look miserable for the cameras.

After the storm dies down, the first initial reports were it was not as bad as everyone predicted it to be. The reporters will head home. The next few weeks will be filled with local stories of damage and cleanup. The damage turns out to be actually really bad, and might take years to restore, but no one on the national stage cares anymore. That is unless it can become a political news item against the President.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,312 Times in 3,539 Posts

Good luck to you all, glad I don't live there anymore.
Our friends who have a house just north of Daytona are on the way up here as I am typing this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post: