Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 09-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,704 Posts

Advertise Here

True story,guy comes into work about 3x week,last 3 years.He also runs a fishing charter boat.
He made 2 runs this weekend from local(swfl)donated supplies.His second trip,sunday,boat docked next to him had 12 bullet holes in it.
I trust this guy,so I'm not just posting internet BS.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Survivor

True story,guy comes into work about 3x week,last 3 years.He also runs a fishing charter boat.
He made 2 runs this weekend from local(swfl)donated supplies.His second trip,sunday,boat docked next to him had 12 bullet holes in it.
I trust this guy,so I'm not just posting internet BS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,556 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFL View Post
Gunshots?

I'm pretty close to the disaster zone, first I've heard about that was here. I heard from someone else this morning the smell is atrocious. They boated over supplies over the weekend.
My buddy has been there two days and he says everyone's equipment and clothing literally smells like death.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Demo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Demo View Post
My buddy has been there two days and he says everyone's equipment and clothing literally smells like death.

How much death are we likely talking about? Thousands? I've heard that there were only 30,000 inhabitants of Abaco and Grande Bahama. How many are left on the islands? Do they have any idea how many left for elsewhere before the storm?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Demo View Post
what is he doing there and why?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,541 Times in 6,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCRICKET View Post
How much death are we likely talking about? Thousands? I've heard that there were only 30,000 inhabitants of Abaco and Grande Bahama. How many are left on the islands? Do they have any idea how many left for elsewhere before the storm?
Population of Freeport alone was 50,000. Nassau 250,000. The whole Bahamas as a nation 390,000. The Abacos about 17,500 in 2010.

Wherever there were hotels, I'm sure a lot of money will be spent restoring living quarters for hotel staff, and quickly, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,385 Times in 6,503 Posts

+1

Lots of money to be made doing clean up, repair, rebuilding to provide functional government, housing for critical services, basic port and food facilities for recovery personnel and emergency management administrative folks.

It's going to be a slow haul because - aside from heavy equipment on-scene - heavy equipment is going to need to be moved to where it's needed and transportation will be challenging for the near future, but no one is going to abandon the Bahamas. You'll see resorts, government, critical infrastructure, etc. being rebuilt quickly - private stuff as owners can afford, etc. Rebuilding requires a basic foundation of infrastructure. What they face in the next 30-90 days is a lack of that basic foundation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,799 Posts

Abaco body count number so far 43 but 3000 is more probably. Mass burials and body burning have begun. Many are Haitian nationals.
Article: http://bahamaspress.com/2019/09/10/m...p_jQTMGWvzsJ6E

Getting aid to the Bahamas is a logistical nightmare...
Article: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/10/75943...pC3dC2FUY0Vusg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCRICKET View Post
Abaco body count number so far 43 but 3000 is more probably. Mass burials and body burning have begun. Many are Haitian nationals.
Article: http://bahamaspress.com/2019/09/10/m...p_jQTMGWvzsJ6E

Getting aid to the Bahamas is a logistical nightmare...
Article: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/10/75943...pC3dC2FUY0Vusg
Locally there are a few stories that food items donated for relief are spoiling before they can be used.

The level of destruction varies by the island. I know aid is flying over daily from here.

Our governor announced an $11 million donation for the Bahamas, much of it privately raised.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GatorFL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,342 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFL View Post
Locally there are a few stories that food items donated for relief are spoiling before they can be used. ...
NBC was showing crates of eggs sitting on a dock with no refrigeration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,602 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Mjolnir View Post
NBC was showing crates of eggs sitting on a dock with no refrigeration.
Eggs keep well without refrigeration.
As long as they aren't sitting around for weeks they will be fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Survivor

Supplies are one thing,tranportation another.
Logisticts.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
Supplies are one thing,tranportation another.
Logisticts.
Distribution. The breakdown in Puerto Rico was that local criminals (i.e. local government) took control and screwed it all up. Hope the Bahamas relief effort can do better, although the presence of so many illegal drugs dealers on the islands doesn't bode well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Survivor

The guy I mentioned in an above post that went last week was in just an hour ago.He wasn't specific,but said the "problem" was taken care of..I could read between the lines,but he mentioned Haitians.
He is going back sat and sun again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,822 Times in 3,302 Posts

Everyone that is so inclined, please pray for the Bahamas and everyone there.

A few early lessons learned for when pretty much everything that wasn't on the person is gone, coming out via church aid workers...

Forget about cell phones for communication and news, perhaps for a long time. If it can be kept charged, cell phone is fine for reading, playing music/games, teaching/occupying children, or taking pictures, but that's about it. For news and instructions on where to go for food, water, medical, how to mark/dispose of bodies/garbage, hazards, etc., a small battery operated AM/FM radio is priceless. Have a way to keep it charged (solar and/or crank on the radio or a separate battery charger). Satellite phone/Internet is another story... I don't know if these lessons would apply in the U.S. because of the SAME alert messages...

If you don't know what you're doing and have undamaged/uncontaminated means for water purification, you're going to go thirsty/severely limit consumption/use until water distribution is more than initial supplies, which could be delayed. In the absence of preps, the people that collected rain water in practically anything while the storm was finally leaving are doing much better than those that didn't. Dehydration from diarrhea kills... IFAK needs to have OTC like Immodium, etc. And prescriptions and other OTC, because it could be awhile...

If you have a pet(s), a brightly colored collar and very visible tags, plus leashes, are musts. Double collars and leashes or a collar and harness, plus two leashes because animals will be very scared are even better. Muzzles... Also a way to shelter, secure, and confine the pets for everyone's safety, and their safety. Do not leave them alone, even if in a locked crate, even if it's for *only* enough time for you to go to the bathroom (always have a responsible adult family member right there actually watching/guarding). Also at least 2 copies of all vaccinations, especially rabies, and photos and registration paperwork showing ownership for each pet. Do not expect to crate two animals in the same crate, no matter how well they normally get along.

No-see-um netting/suits/bug-resistant clothing doesn't run out or wash off like bug spray/creams.

Zip loc baggies, trash bags, and tarps are priceless. Metal buckets to catch rain water and (later) boil it. A way to make fire. There's plenty of debris to burn, so no worries about that, except it's wet.

Families/individuals that can work together with neighbors are setting up shared toileting/wash points and fires so waste and food/water can be better separated and what there is can go farther. This isn't happening everywhere. Sanitation, not enough for everyone, and people getting on each other's nerves and/or previously-existing problems made worse.

Vicks Vapo-rub for under the nose because of the stench. After a couple/few days, it won't matter. Watch where you step so you don't step in/on a rotting corpse, animal, garbage, hole, etc. Try not to walk in water/puddles because you can't see what is under. Rubber overboots… follow instructions of emergency responders and posted/blocked areas so you don't get electrocuted, drown, fall in a hole, hinder rescue efforts, get mistaken for a looter/etc., or otherwise become a casualty needing aid that was intended for the disaster victims..

People are gathering in various sized groups to talk and decompress and pray and worship. The fortunate groups have someone with a Bible. The really fortunate ones have/also have access to a hymnal. Churches that are *safe* to go into are open and church workers/clergy/elders are doing what they can. PTSD, depression, hopelessness, despair, etc. are going to be big problems for a long time. Nominal Christians and unbelievers are desperate for spiritual good news and some way to make sense of what happened. Strong believers are also in need of support.

If you go with an organization to help, follow their instructions about what to take/not take when you go, and also about what you can/cannot leave behind when you leave. Wear/carry your ID/credential at all times. Do not ever, ever loan it out or get separated from it for any reason. Do take whatever messages and prayer requests/needs are given to you to post or pass on. Your relaying posts and messages might be the only way a family in one place (inside or outside of the disaster area) knows who's alive, and who's dead in another place, perhaps only a few miles away.

Hope this helps in some small way. I think biggest take-aways for people on SB are getting to know the neighbors now is really important, and that depending on the disaster, it is possible for a family/individual to only have EDC or BOB (or not even that), because no matter how well prepared, it is possible all his/her/their other preps could be lost/destroyed/contaminated/otherwise inaccessible/unusable.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:28 AM
Militant Normal

Thank you Old Fart for such an informative post ! Ought to be a sticky somewhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 AM
Target Shooter

Thanks OLD FART. So many people on here worry that somebody will try to steal what they have in an emergency but I have said for a long time that I think the people who will survive are the people who can work together for the common cause. Like our ancestors did. I have a daily journal from my Great Grandfather that he kept in the 1860s and 1870s in Kansas. It shows how people worked and traded and bartered for a common good. You posted some very good advice. I hope that the islanders get the help they need in time. The news coming from over there is so sad and I hope and pray for them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bearsclaw 73 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Thank you Old Fart for such an informative post !

Thanks, but it was the church aid workers that were kind enough to share Sending a few electrons to SB cost me nothing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 08:37 PM

Interesting article from Catholic News Service, includes information about Bahamas' building codes, and "revisiting" them due to much higher hurricane winds than previously experienced
https://www.catholicnews.com/service...-volunteer.cfm
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,074 Times in 342 Posts

What is GB and the Commonwealth doing to help out their own?
The Following User Says Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post: