Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Hiker

Default home made hand soap and laundry soap.

Advertise Here

I made hand soap today, foaming hand soap. This is my first time, so I bought castile soap. next time I will make it. The recipe is quite simple. 12 oz water, 2 tablespoons castile soap, 1/2 tablebpoon olive oil and your choice of essential oils. Obviously the essential oils would be pointless in a SHTF scenario, as they would attract attention. Very simple, and easy to use.

Laundry soap is simple as well. 1 Box Borax, 3 bars Fels Nepia, 2 boxes of oxiclean (dollar store band,) 1 box washing soda, 2 cups baking soda and 2 bottles fabric softener crystals. In total, this cost me about $28, and that is because we went with a name brand fabric softener crystal because my wife preferred the scent.

So, with this, you can grate, or as I did, put the Fels Nepia bars in the blender for like 10 seconds a bar. Other than that, throw everything in a trash bag, roll it, and properly mix. This took, at most, 10 minutes from start to finish. The “hardest part” was opening all the containers. This laundry soap works well, smells great, and last forever. Right now, we are storing it in a glass jar from walmart in our moist basement. it gets a little hard on top, but we use it often enough that it does not turn to a rock.

This is just some things to think of. You can make a lot of soaps for just a little cash. This way you can keep a supply on hand.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CPLSeraphim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Hiker

Does your laundry soap work good as Tide?
Old 08-27-2019, 06:47 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,446 Times in 20,108 Posts

How much detergent does it make? What cost does it avoid? Does it pay?

28 bucks will buy a fair amount of laundry soap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,064 Times in 523 Posts

Nothing uglier than hand made soap, I've never tried making it but do buy it from an old lady at the flee market. It doesn't dry me out as bad as regular soap
Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Hiker

We have been using it for months, and our clothes are just as clean as with other detergents. It is estimated to give a family of 4 a years worth of laundry soap, but more importantly, to me at least, is storability of the ingredients.

Plus we could lower the cost because we went with 2 tubes of the name brand softner crystals. I saw the laundry soap on youtube, and it matched a lot of recipes. I guess I should also add that we had been using liquid soap which takes up a lot more space. The first time I used the homemade powdered soap, I put it in after the laundry was put in, and realized I should have put it in first and had it mix with the water. My sister makes a liquid version, where it only costs a few bucks/ 5 gallon bucket. She owns a horse farm and boarding place, and she has had better luck with her homemade soap getting horse smells out of her clothes.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,068 Times in 874 Posts

I have made our laundry detergent for 17 or more years now. I use one box borax, one washing soda and just mix them together in equal amounts and store in large glass jars.

When I want to make detergent I just pour the premixed powder into a large plastic coffee can and grate one bar of Fels in with a hand grater. Per load, depending on size and dirtiness I use either one or two scoops, like any small scoop, per load.

If the clothes are really dirty or smelly I will add either powdered Awesome orange, $1, at DG, or about a cup of liquid.

This mix costs about $8-9 dollars and will last a couple months.That is doing an average of one to two large loads per day. It gets clothes cleaner than regular detergents and doesn't leave that regular detergent smell if you don't like that.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Hiker

What is Fels Napia? I have never heard of it?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 PM

I used to make the liquid version of the homemade laundry soap. It filled 1 1/2 5 gallon buckets and lasted almost a year. It did leave our laundry a slight shade of gray but we have lots of minerals in our water and red clay soil. I used oxi-clean to help with that. Feels-Naptha is a bar soap. We use it for laundry and for poison oak. Back in the old days it was used for stain removal in laundry. Our dollar store carries it or it’s in the laundry section of the grocery store.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,446 Times in 20,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucksforever View Post
What is Fels Napia? I have never heard of it?

https://www.purex.com/products/laund...a-laundry-bar/

Old 08-27-2019, 08:12 PM
Target Shooter

Beware of the oxy-clean.
I found out I was sensitive to it (rash).
Old 08-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Hiker

So just a slight mispel of naptha...
The Following User Says Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post: