All I read about water tells me most don't have enough for a couple days and will mea - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-25-2019, 08:33 PM

Default All I read about water tells me most don't have enough for a couple days and will mea

Advertise Here

So with all the techniques in water usage and making safe to drink I still think people will go crazy with no water over anything else. I cant fathom defending mine with deadly force. Have will you? What will happen with no rain for a week and empty pipes? I cant imagine this no do I ever want to see it happen. Just my opinion but other than the high tension power lines being dropped this is my #2 oh crap thing.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notmyblood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,154 Times in 20,019 Posts

There are a lot of swimming pools in my area.
With some filtration I assume that would tide people over for a month or so, give or take flushing toilets with it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:47 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,980 Times in 2,576 Posts

`

If you find out the water is off & getting out to buy more is too dangerous, as it's gone full ZPAW/Mad Max, then you also stop getting rain/snow for an expended period of time, you are probably going to run out sooner rather than later. @ ~2 gallons/person per day, I have enough to last us about a month. If I'm given at least a couple hours notice, I can add on to that significantly, especially in the summer when I could still use the outside houses & fill barrels/buckets etc. I would think if I hadn't found a way to find water before 30 days, I'd take my chances at venturing out & getting some. I'm about 2 miles from the Missouri river. Obviously I'd still need to boil/treat that water or pretty much any open water source I found. Water isn't a "sexy" prep so it is often looked past, especially by new preppers. You can survive a relatively long time with little to no food, but most can't make it past 3-4 days with no water. If the person is elderly or you are doing strenuous activity, that number goes down. I think a lot of people, even some preppers, think about it will realize they don't have enough water. Also while finding space may seem difficult to find, if you look around your house, garage, yard, etc. You'll find places you can store a few gallons here, hide a barrel there. Who knows, those few gallons may be the difference between life & death some day.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 08:50 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,154 Times in 20,019 Posts

it's a good question and a reminder to store some ptable water, have the means to purify raw water, and to identify an alternate source, whether a new shallow well, a seep, a river , some swimming pools, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:04 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,153 Times in 4,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyblood View Post
So with all the techniques in water usage and making safe to drink I still think people will go crazy with no water over anything else. I cant fathom defending mine with deadly force. Have will you? What will happen with no rain for a week and empty pipes? I cant imagine this no do I ever want to see it happen. Just my opinion but other than the high tension power lines being dropped this is my #2 oh crap thing.
If your not willing to defend that which you need to live there isn't much point in having it.

I have a 550 gallon primary storage tank, and enough propane to run my 300' deep well for many years so its not a big worry of mine at this point.

It often goes months at a time without raining here but we have many high quality rivers and streams in the area that I imagine people will start using.

What I think will be worse than lack of drinking water here, will be lack of firefighting ability. I think in the first summer every city will burn, as well as every forest.

But if you are worried about water, keep in mind water storage tanks only cost about $1 per gallon and come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. You can pretty easily store a couple hundred gallons in the corner of your garage, enough to give you a couple months of rationed water to figure out how to get more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,265 Times in 18,920 Posts

I am off grid and run my current house from a rainwater cistern.

I am working on piping one of my springs to my orchard and future house site.

I also have multiple ponds.

Water is not a concern
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:27 AM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 2,317 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
If it gets bad enough that you might have to use deadly force to defend your stored water, then water is not all that would need to be defended.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,003 Times in 859 Posts

Storage
https://www.plastic-mart.com/water_tanks.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,326 Posts

If I was that worried I'd get a waterbed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 PM
styer sniper

We are lucky enough to have three arteasan wells two ponds and a swimming pool. Water is not that much of a worry for us. Salt and other minerals and things are gonna be our problem. How deep is the water table where you live?
Old 08-28-2019, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
If I was that worried I'd get a waterbed.
That is really a great idea.

I have a pool. And i also live in an area with 40 inches per year average rainfall and of course near a river and not too far from the ocean. So I’m good.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,268 Times in 758 Posts

Bacteria tends to grow in waterbeds, even if just a little bit. You still have to purify that waterbed water.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Does anyone ever practice water purification with bleach? I told a kid about it the other day but thought of never trying it myself. I've read of limits of usage but has anyone done it before? What was it like?
Old 08-29-2019, 08:32 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,373 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone ever practice water purification with bleach? I told a kid about it the other day but thought of never trying it myself. I've read of limits of usage but has anyone done it before? What was it like?
This subject has been discussed to the point of exhaustion here, so doing a bit of searching will answer your questions.

Mechanical filtration is the preferred methodology for creating clean water, for many reasons, once again search and you will find.

What was it like? Well now, chlorinated water has unique properties, and an unusual taste. In other words, it tastes like a swimming pool, and it makes everything you use it for taste the same. It isn't good for your health to drink it long term.

Chlorinated water does have a critical usage though, and that is for creating a disinfecting solution, but the need for that is another subject, another subject you need to research. Chlorinated water is the preferred methodology for long term mass storage of water, but it isn't chlorinated after a short while, relatively speaking.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:42 PM
Hiker

I am collection rain water in drums, have ways to purify and filter. We also have several springs and creeks and ponds in the area. I would be more concerned about people taking ownership of said water ways and charging a toll of sorts to get water. After all, you need water to live.
We are building our set up for now. 10 55 gallon barrels for rain. After that is set up, we are looking at getting a cistern in the basement at least equal, possible larger. That way, during winter, water can be stored in the basement. Also, putting in a wood stove for cooking and boiling water as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to CPLSeraphim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:24 PM
Trapper

I live in Arizona, so water has always been my main priority. All the guns and random cool crap won’t man anything if we die of dehydration in 3 days. When I first started prepping years back I started with water, now with a family and kids I’m even more focused on it. I have a 1000 gallon rainwater catching tank plus about 500 gal in 55 gallon barels.

I don’t know why everyone doesn’t have a rainwater tank here. In Tucson at least I got the tank and the gutter for free because I went to a rainwater harvesting class. I know there are other programs like that too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AZSrvr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,019 Times in 938 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

got a flowing well and in this area waters all over ,if it wasn't for the roads here a water craft would be the easiest way to travel,,,,hiking would wear you out,,so much spruce swamps
Old 08-30-2019, 03:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,695 Times in 791 Posts

I got two nice microscopes when the local school system upgraded. One connects to a laptop and the other one is the old kind, but is very nice. This winter I'll build a WaterScope which is supposed to be purpose designed to check water purity. People don't realize how a bad case of dysentery can deplete your water supply and maybe kill you.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 08:41 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,326 Posts

On my street the water main was installed by boring through the clay two feet down, then sliding the main through the hole. Water collects in the space between. You'd have to be pretty thirsty to go after it, though.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,782 Times in 2,102 Posts

Ground water can be pretty nasty. I worked on a secondary waste water treatment plant and the first input was sucked up from underground. It was really stinky.