All About Coffee - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Advertise Here

I have a commercial espresso machine and grinder. I make espresso daily. I've scoured the world for a good roaster and have settled on Ethos Coffee in Lakeland as the one that cannot be beaten. Lisbeth knows her stuff: https://www.ethosroasters.com/coffee She roasts to order and gives free shipping on orders $35 and up so almost any order over 2lbs shipping is free.

Yes, I know I should roast my own but seriously, I don't have time for that.

For hiking I take the easy way out and use Starbucks via.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GatorFL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,024 Times in 867 Posts

I like dark roast ,cowboy style.
The woman says I'm weird.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 2,024 Times in 867 Posts

Gators right about the Starbucks Via, best instant out there
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 08:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,926 Times in 3,336 Posts

My favourite right now is called Kicking Horse; beans which I grind every couple of days. It is roasted in British Columbia, but available in grocery stores across Canada. I drink only 2or 3 cups / day usually (at my cardiologist reccomendation), but if I am out, I might grab an iced cap from TimHorton's ( their regular coffee is nasty; McD's is so much better.) I have a Keurig for that first quick cup each day, but use a french press for the next cup. Every once in a while on a Saturday morning I will bring out the perc, and have a shot of fresh percolated. I take cream in my coffee, if I have it; otherwise it is canned.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:00 AM

Folgers Black Silk. But always looking for something better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 2,254 Times in 777 Posts

Maxwell House drip for the first one, 1/2 tsp powdered cream and sugar in my 16oz mug

The next few are at work where we rotate the selection depending on whose turn it is to buy. The only constant is that it will be drip and a quality brand. Black Rifle Coffee is a repeat offender in our rotation. The gents that I work with take their coffee serious.

We also have a K-cup machine with some Costco breakfast blend in case the regular pot is empty.

And like the man said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
But if thatís not a available Iíll drink damn near any coffee if itís got caffeine
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM
ICBM Warrior

+100 on the Black Rifle Brand. Favs are GS (Gunship) and CAF (Caffeinated AF - not Air Force...LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonfoddertfc View Post
Maxwell House drip for the first one, 1/2 tsp powdered cream and sugar in my 16oz mug

The next few are at work where we rotate the selection depending on whose turn it is to buy. The only constant is that it will be drip and a quality brand. Black Rifle Coffee is a repeat offender in our rotation. The gents that I work with take their coffee serious.

We also have a K-cup machine with some Costco breakfast blend in case the regular pot is empty.

And like the man said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
But if that’s not a available I’ll drink damn near any coffee if it’s got caffeine
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 250,024 Times in 30,303 Posts

I appreciate all those who reply in the thread; thanks!!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:21 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,238 Times in 20,046 Posts

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 07:47 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,912 Times in 19,134 Posts

I gave up coffee roughly after I turned 30 a few decades ago. I still dabble a few times a year, but it basically makes me climb the walls. Soda caffeine hits me a little less and for some reason tea caffeine is fine. For all my science background the tea thing makes little sense, but there it is.

But otherwise it is a great taste plain and the smell......

The smell of coffee is sublime. Imagine a scene at work where the young receptionist nervously jokes I'm hanging around the front desk too much and she wonders if I'm trying to insinuate myself into her graces or having trouble making a pass at her. Then the big boss comes by and says I'm just hanging out around the smell of the coffee urn. LOL. I'd hang out around violent felons if they had a coffee machine running.

When I was a drinker I was hardcore. #10 cans of institutional Folgers with a few tiny sprinkles of salt in the grounds when brewed. Classic Navy coffee, that the Marines love too. I was good for two pots a day straight. Nothing else in the cup. When I finally broke the habit I had cluster migraines for over a year that had to be medically treated until an old gal put a cup of tea in my hands. Ditching coffee cold turkey can be hazardous to you health and well being. If the day comes that you have to lose the habit then treat it like getting off opiates. Take the withdraw slow.

While we are on topic I would like to recommend a special brand that is hard to find. It has an old extended family connection from my youth, but the effort is worth it. Mello Joy coffee out of Louisiana. No, the other Cajun coffee brands do not compare or taste alike. The medium roast is on Amazon for like $20 a 3/4lb bag. Highway robbery and it isn't even the best version. Only way to get it outside of the area is through these guys:

https://www.cajungrocer.com/mello-joy-dark-roast.html

Price is half of Amazon, but with ~$10 shipping you have to buy several to get the price break value. I'd tell you to buy 12 to get the fat discount but I doubt anyone is willing to risk that the first time out. Maybe after you buy a couple bags the first time you'll be calling to see if they sell it by the pallet load discount. But if you are a "coffee explorer" willing to buy funky expensive beans from the Caribbean, Hawaii, or digested through a monkey then definitely try this stuff. It's like they figured out how to take only the bitterness out of dark roast and nothing else. I bring back bags from my frequent trips there and everyone I know pesters me for them. For a guy who quit coffee drinking I'm always having to haul bags of this stuff around.

I was going to dig up a link of a very old and huge coffee thread we had going around here, but the advanced search is cutting threads off created more than a couple years ago. If someone has the link saved in their subscriptions then try to dig it up. It was a gold mine of coffee info. If no one can find the link then I guess we are due for making a new master thread about all things coffee. It's too popular a topic not to have an ongoing thread.

You milk, cream, sugar, whatever people who add stuff? Quit being a dilettante. It's like watching people drink "malt beverage coolers" instead of beer. You brew, you pour, you drink. Extra steps means you don't like the stuff. Just posing, imo.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,238 Times in 20,046 Posts

Searching for Zeke's coffee thread.
Any of these?

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=188151

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=265209

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=254051

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=250685

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=106678

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=194476
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Nope. It was definitely a bigger thread. Lots more pages.

Thanks for trying though.

Maybe I have it in my subscriptions, but that's like thousands to scan first.

I'll look later.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,794 Times in 12,359 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuck49 View Post
Not many folks know about French market , you must have spent some time in Louisiana lol. Every now and then I'll get some Cafe Du Monde shipped to me from a relative.
Family has been in Louisiana since it was a French settlement.
Only reason I donít live there now is I get paid a lot to live elsewhere and despite my best arguments the company refuses to relocate
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,664 Times in 18,617 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I own a Technivorm Moccamaster which heats the water up to 195-205 degrees. It also uses a system by which the heated water covers all if the coffee grounds equally. I buy dark roast, whole beans and grind them in my Cuisinart grinder. I prefer quality brands like Bullet Proof but will buy cheaper brands about every other time. I'll mix the cheaper brands with the more expensive brands. I pre-dampen my un-bleached coffee filter before brewing. I have at least two large, 30oz Yeti cups a day. I'm currently on my third one for today.

Gots ta have me coffee.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,794 Times in 12,359 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

And Zeke is right about Mellow Joy. Damn good coffee, Iím going to have to visit home soon so I can pick up more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DBC59E3-9CA3-4695-9AE0-0E8F815D9019.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	290964  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,266 Posts

Back before coffee prices rose so much that wine language began to be used to describe it I mail ordered coffee beans from a good roaster and made pour over coffee. I hand ground my own just before making each carafe of coffee.

Now I have grown lazy and use super market ground coffee in a Bonavita coffee maker that simulates pour over. It's not bad but I miss the aroma of both the grinding and the brewing of fresh ground coffee.

I am tempted to find a good coffee roaster but may rely on the experience of others rather than performing my own research. Living alone a package of less than good coffee seems like it lasts forever and I am too tight to just toss it.

In my area Food Lion has some pretty decent flavored coffees where the flavor probably masks the taste of any fallow beans or a poor roast.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I own a Technivorm Moccamaster which heats the water up to 195-205 degrees. It also uses a system by which the heated water covers all if the coffee grounds equally. I buy dark roast, whole beans and grind them in my Cuisinart grinder. I prefer quality brands like Bullet Proof but will buy cheaper brands about every other time. I'll mix the cheaper brands with the more expensive brands. I pre-dampen my un-bleached coffee filter before brewing. I have at least two large, 30oz Yeti cups a day. I'm currently on my third one for today.

Gots ta have me coffee.
Wow! Way to go! Most people would have no idea what a Technivorm even is. Unless things have changed it is one of a very few machines that meet the Specialty Coffee Assoc. Gold Cup Standard. Pricey (and kinda ugly) but a very great machine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 10:02 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Since we might be turning this into a big thread then I'll toss some prepper notes out.

Green coffee beans in sealed cans or mylar last for ages. Once you roast the clock is ticking, even if you seal it up.

Amazon has a notable number of bulk green coffee bean suppliers now at decent prices.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=unroasted...ref=nb_sb_noss
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=green+cof...ref=nb_sb_noss

If you are near one of the really huge US shipping ports you might hunt locally for one of the bulk importers in town. NYC, LA, Seattle, NOLA, Houston, Miami, etc. Most of your brand names are made up by middleman importers that sort, roast, bag, and label for dozens of major domestic brands. Buying some bulk off them is tricky but for a lot of green beans for storage you won't find cheaper unless you are Juan Valdez himself picking crop.

A good fallback is freeze dried crystals. It has no bean vulnerability. It's just the brewed coffee spray dried. It should also last for ages in a mylar bag.

Unless I can dig up that old thread then readers might want to add any prep advice on coffee they have.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 06:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,013 Times in 929 Posts

Current go to is Kirkland ground coffee (Costco). I mix the grounds, half regular, half decaffe. Drink a LOT of coffee, so doing half caffe evens things out a bit thru the "day".

Price is pretty good at $10 for 3 lbs, decaffe & regular same price.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100361434.html

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100334883.html

Prior to going with the pre-ground tins, I'd do the Kirkland Whole been & gring a few pounds ahead. Honestly Kirkland whole bean are really nice. Especially if you enjoy dark, oily & rich!

Rwandan, Costa Rican & Sumatra are our favorites. In that order of favorite. Rwanda is really really darned good coffee!!

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100039935.html

Sumatra seems an exact match to Starbucks whole been Sumatra, at around 1/2 the price per pound. To gve folks an idea on the quality of Kirkland whole bean. (Yah, regardless if one can stand Starbucks as a Corp, or not, some of there coffee is still rather good...).

I believe I got us on the current trend of pre-ground tins, because our local Costco didn't have a whole been in stock we liked. And now have just been "lazy" about it. Normally we used to easily have 30lbs+ whole been on hand...
Old 08-27-2019, 06:30 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Whelp, I just waded through ~2000 thread titles in my subscriptions going back to 2013.

Ugh. Never found the old coffee thread. I must have trimmed it out before. About twice a year I clean that trash out. I'm back down to around 700 subscriptions again.

So no joy unless someone else has the subscription still.

I guess we make a new master coffee thread.

I did find a note of mine mentioning that those hunting for economical FD coffee crystals should visit ethnic stores because they seem to offer more variety and better pricing sometimes.

C'mon, we might as well weigh in on all things coffee. Too popular a topic not to have a big discussion thread on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: